Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#445914 - 12/18/17 03:49 PM [User Showcase] Wasn't That What You Wanted?
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Maybe just time to get one more in before the year's end!

In the early 60s, I was thirteen and helping out in a local studio. In those
early days, we were recording straight onto a Ferrograph stereo
half-track machine, which cost about as much as a small house and
even though it was extremely basic by today's standards, those mixes
had a certain magic - a bit raw, but bright, clean and powerful. With this
song I've tried to capture something of that energy by keeping the track
count down and using only basic effects. The guitar solo was recorded
using my old Tele through an early Vox AC30 top boost with torn cones! Yes, it
sounds trashy, but it was the sound I wanted.

There's one RT in there RT362 Acoustic strumming, plus two tracks
of Telecaster and one of my Jazz bass. The drums are samples played
via the Drum Source sample player. Only two main vocal tracks this time around.

Wasn't That What You Wanted?
You said you wanted a diamond, you said you wanted a ring
You said you want to get married, you want to do the right thing
I bought a five carat diamond, I put it on your hand
Now I can't find you anywhere and I don't understand
No I just can't understand it - wasn't that what you wanted?

I worked hard to get that cash, I worked my fingers to the bone
I worked twenty-four-seven, just to bring the bacon home
I gave you all the money, to buy a plot of land

You said you needed the car, to visit some old friend
You said she didn't live far, just a mile round the bend
So I gave you the car keys, I even filled up the tank

Many thanks, as usual, to anyone who gives it a listen.
Cheers, ROG.

#445991 - 12/19/17 04:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I agree with your comment:

"even though it was extremely basic by today's standards, those mixes had a certain magic - a bit raw, but bright, clean and powerful."

Sometimes I think you can lose the feel of the music by trying to make it too perfect.

Sounds good to me Rog, lots of attitude happening with this one. Tele has just the right amount of dirt to make it sing.

Nice way to close out the year!

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#446001 - 12/19/17 05:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Whyalla, South Australia
optimus Offline

Loc: Whyalla, South Australia
Hey Rog, reminds me of the bands down at the dance hall back in the sixties.
A great raw vibe.

Cheers

#446011 - 12/19/17 06:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

ROG,

LOVE the sound of this! The mix is excellent.

The drums sound really good. The guitars ALL sound great! - both the rhythm and leads!! Love them. Sweet lead, too - one of the best ever presented here...

And a fun song, to boot. Nice vocal.

There is something about it that reminds me of the Dire Straits debut. Not that it SOUNDS like Dire Straits, but it has that immediate appeal - you want to listen to each part as it is happening. A rare achievement...

(I thought the bass could use just a little more "oomph").

Loved it. Top-notch. Do MORE like this!!

fj

#446017 - 12/19/17 07:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Wow, what treat to go with the morning coffee.

This thing just rocks!

Like fj mentioned the drums are tremendous and we're loving that tele and attitude vocals.

When it comes to our notion of good rock this what it's all about.

Hey, I (Bud) briefly worked in a Studio in the summer of '65 and I completely get what you are saying. You nailed that vibe.

Thanks for the memories and fun!

We love it.

J&B

EDIT: Back for another listen and Janice said the song gives her "happy feet!" If you were here you'd understand smile

J&B Website

#446027 - 12/19/17 07:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
What a cool song Rog. Excellent vocal and loved the guitar work. Well done

#446144 - 12/19/17 03:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Rog

I agree with floyd:
"There is something about it that reminds me of the Dire Straits debut. Not that it SOUNDS like Dire Straits, but it has that immediate appeal - you want to listen to each part as it is happening."

Nice guitar playing throughout.
Sounds excellent.

Peter

#446172 - 12/19/17 05:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Well, that was definitely what I wanted!
Felt like I was in the garage with you - love the whole thing but especially the intro and the attitude - punching out each word on that chorus line-sounded nice and snarly.
Excellent song.

Robert

#446176 - 12/19/17 06:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Love that!
Sounds dire straits to me and great fun.
Thumbs up!
Cheers.

#446197 - 12/19/17 07:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Hey ROG,

Great old retro sound! The drums remind a little bit of the Jefferson Airplane's "The Other Side Of This Life." I heard something somewhere between 'The Birds' and 'Jefferson Airplane'.

Glad you got this one. This is how you end the year and a good note! Everything about this shines ... excellent song and production.

Merry Christmas.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#446258 - 12/20/17 04:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

ROG, That highly compressed drum sound is killer and sets up the raw 60's vibe perfectly. Great guitar playing. Super stops. This thing ROCKS!!! Smokin Hot. Love it, Tom

#446292 - 12/20/17 07:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

This is great. Yeah it is kind of Dire Straits, but more ROG to me.

smile

The guitar playing is great, and I love the mix, especially the drums.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#446297 - 12/20/17 08:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Sounds like a lost Rolling Stones song, one of the rare times I wish the mix was not so good to get even more authentic feel smile Great rocking drums and strong vocals, universal message in the lyrics.

Janne

#446424 - 12/20/17 06:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
sounds authentic

love it, gritty goodness

awesome guitar sound and licks

enjoyed the heck out of this

Kenny

#446550 - 12/21/17 11:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: ROG]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Cool tune ROG!! Like the retro feel, particularly the drums. With your background story, you reminded me how much I miss the old tape machines. New digital stuff is so powerful, convenient, and easy with tons of advantages but music just sounds better when you're watching the reels spin and the tape go by the heads. Great sound on this-your mixes are always fantastic! Enjoyed!! Merry Xmas! Take care. Greg

#446730 - 12/22/17 10:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: BlueAttitude]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah, I agree with your comment:

"even though it was extremely basic by today's standards, those mixes had a certain magic - a bit raw, but bright, clean and powerful."

Sometimes I think you can lose the feel of the music by trying to make it too perfect.

Sounds good to me Rog, lots of attitude happening with this one. Tele has just the right amount of dirt to make it sing.

Nice way to close out the year!

Hi Dave.
You're absolutely right about making it too perfect. These days everything is edited to
the point where all the life has gone out of it, then it's copied up and used throughout the song.
I remember the days when you had to play the song right through and suffer the wrath of the
engineer if you needed any punch-ins! Then again, maybe I'm just getting old.
Anyway, many thanks for the listen and review. Much appreciated.
ROG.

#446731 - 12/22/17 10:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: optimus]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: optimus
Hey Rog, reminds me of the bands down at the dance hall back in the sixties.
A great raw vibe.
Cheers

Hi Optimus.
Pleased that it gave you some good memories. I was probably playing in one of those bands!
Many thanks.
ROG.

#446734 - 12/22/17 10:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

LOVE the sound of this! The mix is excellent.

The drums sound really good. The guitars ALL sound great! - both the rhythm and leads!! Love them. Sweet lead, too - one of the best ever presented here...

And a fun song, to boot. Nice vocal.

There is something about it that reminds me of the Dire Straits debut. Not that it SOUNDS like Dire Straits, but it has that immediate appeal - you want to listen to each part as it is happening. A rare achievement...

(I thought the bass could use just a little more "oomph").

Loved it. Top-notch. Do MORE like this!!
fj

Hi Floyd.
You know I always value your opinion, so really pleased that you liked this one.
I'd be happy to attempt some more like this one - it's good fun getting back to basics again.
Oh, and I'll be careful with the bass next time!
Many thanks, ROG.

#447010 - 12/24/17 05:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: Janice & Bud]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Wow, what treat to go with the morning coffee.

This thing just rocks!

Like fj mentioned the drums are tremendous and we're loving that tele and attitude vocals.

When it comes to our notion of good rock this what it's all about.

Hey, I (Bud) briefly worked in a Studio in the summer of '65 and I completely get what you are saying. You nailed that vibe.

Thanks for the memories and fun!

We love it.

J&B

EDIT: Back for another listen and Janice said the song gives her "happy feet!" If you were here you'd understand smile

Hi there J&B.
Glad you liked this one - always appreciate a review from you.
At the moment I'm enjoying getting back to basics with the recording and the next one should be even more minimalist. Maybe I'm just trying to recapture my youth, but I really do like the way those early recordings had a sort of magic.
So, many thanks for the listen and comments.
Cheers,
ROG.

#447011 - 12/24/17 05:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wasn't That What You Wanted? [Re: Scott C]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a cool song Rog. Excellent vocal and loved the guitar work. Well done

Hi Scott.
Many thanks for the listen and positive review.
Cheers, ROG.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28445 Members
58 Forums
55264 Topics
460319 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
claytonkyra, Warren G, Raymond Carrasco, asdlz, Corrie

28444 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 360
Pipeline 329