Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#451279 - 01/15/18 10:16 AM [User Showcase] Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman)
Loc: Florida
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

I just recently started working with a talented lyricist I met on Facebook named Skipper Laman. He was looking for someone who does country music to transform his lyrics into songs. He sent me these lyrics and let me have a go at it. I'll be releasing this later in the week as a single.

Never Gonna Be That Guy

Tempo: 114bpm

Real Tracks...
2578: Bass, Synth, Retro Pop
2670: Pedal Steel, Background Hippy Train
2635: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Country Rock High
2634: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Country Blues Rock
1170: Guitar, Electric, Soloist Rock Medium Brent
Real Drums: Driving Pop 8ths

This song uses all real tracks from BIAB 2018. I Exported each track to Cubase 9 for editing and mixing. There was a fair amount of compression added to all of the guitar tracks (Including pedal steel.) For the drum I used a trick that David Snyder posted in the forums. I tripled the drum track then isolated the kick on one track and the snare on another using EQ. Then I mixed them with the original drum track to give it a little extra kick and snap. The solo was made from 2 different renderings of the Brent Mason solo real track.

For vocals I recorded one lead vocal track and tripled it. I then added various (yet similar) effects to each track and mixed them together to my liking. Backup vocals were doubled then panned hard left and right.

I tried something new in the mastering of this piece in an attempt to streamline things. It seems to work well and will probably be using it again. I created 2 group channels on the end of my channel chain. The first one has all the tracks sent to it to add saturation. Then that group is sent to the second for mastering where I add final compression, EQ and maximizing. The mix is then exported to a separate track for normalization before final exportation.

For the first time in my recording process I also used a reference track which seemed to help with getting the sound I wanted. I will definitely be using this in future productions.

Lyrics:
Girl I like you, you say you like me too
But what you want from me I can't give to you
I just want you to know before things go wrong
I wanna live my life like a country song

I wanna hop in my truck, and take it for a spin
Watch a football game, drink a beer with a friend
I wanna fish all day, and party all night
Maybe go to a bar, maybe get in a fight
Life's too short and damn it I'm too young
To just call it quits before I've had my fun
I know you wanna settle down, but I won't lie
I ain't ever gonna be that guy
No I'm never gonna be that guy.

You want a little white house with a big back yard
A couple of kids and a family car
You want happy ever after, like in your dreams
But that white picket fence, girl it ain't my thing

Well, I love hot women and I love cold beer
I love a sad country song that will bring a year
I wanna party till I die, then do it all again
So maybe you and I, should just be friends

(Spoken) I just can't be that guy.

Edited by Samuel Davis (01/15/18 10:49 AM)

www.sammycountry.com

#451315 - 01/15/18 02:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Every thing does come together well on this Samuel.
Lyrics are very well constructed as is the tune.
Thanks for the tips may give some ago myself.
Very well done. Rob

#451327 - 01/15/18 03:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Happy Birthday sslechta Online   happy
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Nice song Sam. Sounds very well produced.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#451339 - 01/15/18 03:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Samuel, everything sounds great to me! Looks like you have a good partner to collaborate on songs with! Wishing you all the best! Thanks, Torrey

#451370 - 01/15/18 06:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool country tune Samuel. Super vocal and backtrack. Super mix. Drums were excellent..

#451467 - 01/16/18 06:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Samuel, everything sounds great to me! Looks like you have a good partner to collaborate on songs with! Wishing you all the best! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks torrey. Yeah, I already am working on 2 more sets of lyrics Skipper sent me and we are probably going to team up for FAWM to knock out a bunch of songs.

www.sammycountry.com

#451468 - 01/16/18 06:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Scott C]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool country tune Samuel. Super vocal and backtrack. Super mix. Drums were excellent..

Thanks Scott. I like the way the drums came out on this as well.

www.sammycountry.com

#451471 - 01/16/18 06:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Samuel, this sounds pro all the way - great job!

Bob

#451534 - 01/16/18 11:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Samuel,

Hot women and cold beer and all the requisite Country items...

Guitars sound good... drums, too... a nice opening.

You have a great voice for these type songs.

fj

#451604 - 01/16/18 03:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
The guitar sounds so nice in this one! And the lyrics are really fantastic. You guys did an awesome job!

#451642 - 01/16/18 07:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Great country rocker

strong vocals, good write, cool song

enjoyed,

Kenny

#451858 - 01/17/18 03:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Samuel,
Very enjoyable - this rocks as snappily as you intended and your vocal really carries the energy.
Thanks for including your work process - the end product sounds excellent!

Robert

#451901 - 01/17/18 07:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: floyd jane]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Samuel,

Hot women and cold beer and all the requisite Country items...

Guitars sound good... drums, too... a nice opening.

You have a great voice for these type songs.

fj

Damn strait. Got to have the women and beer lol. Thanks Floyd.

www.sammycountry.com

#451903 - 01/17/18 07:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm glad you all enjoy it.

www.sammycountry.com

#451910 - 01/17/18 09:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Online   content
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Wow Samuel.
Sounds like a very danceable line dance song.
Fascinating technical notes and all very well done fun.
Cheers.

#451999 - 01/18/18 10:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: RichMac]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Wow Samuel.
Sounds like a very danceable line dance song.
Fascinating technical notes and all very well done fun.
Cheers.

I hadn't thought about that Rich but your right. Cpuld easily electric slide or boot scoot to it.

www.sammycountry.com

#452033 - 01/18/18 11:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Another great country rocker Samuel. Love!

Catchy! Awesome hook.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#452058 - 01/18/18 01:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Samuel,

I enjoyed that! As others have said, the production sounds excellent, first class. Everything about this shines with confidence and competence.

Regards,
Noel

#452084 - 01/18/18 02:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
Samuel, from beat one I was interested. Really nice groove and arrangement. You obviously put time into your production too.

Now one thing I want to very specifically mention is, I am always impressed with your vocal delivery of rhythms. You are so good at that!

Great job all the way around.
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#452527 - 01/20/18 09:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: HearToLearn]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Samuel, from beat one I was interested. Really nice groove and arrangement. You obviously put time into your production too.

Now one thing I want to very specifically mention is, I am always impressed with your vocal delivery of rhythms. You are so good at that!

Great job all the way around.

Thank you much. I've studied vocal music since I was young and done many kinds of music. It kind of comes as second nature now.

www.sammycountry.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Listen to the Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio Today!

You may know about our User Showcase Forum, but have you heard about our Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio?

What a great way to listen to all of the Band-in-a-Box® creations from program users just-like-you! It's as easy as choosing a playlist and pressing play!

Click here to access our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, and don't forget to bookmark your new favorite page!

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32624 Members
68 Forums
65562 Topics
555929 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
supervanille, Kinney Jeff, Pacus, Tocopixel, pjn

32623 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 150