Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#455126 - 02/01/18 10:55 AM [Beginners Forum] BIAB for live performance?
Monkster Offline

I'm considering purchasing BIAB to use on stage for live performance. Are there any other musicians out there that are doing just that? I've been doing a solo and duo for many years using midi and running my show from a laptop on stage. The laptop is ancient running Windows 95 and so is the Cakewalk 3.01 program that I use. It worked flawlessly for many years until the computer finally died recently. I can't find an old computer to take it's place because they've all been recycled and Cakewalk 3.01 won't work on newer computers. So it's time to upgrade since Cakewalk is now defunct!

I would like to get away from having to carry all my equipment to every gig because my setup is larger than most full bands. My questions are, does BIAB have good enough sounds to take the place of all my midi modules? Can I run straight out of the laptop to the PA and leave all my midi equipment at home? Are there catalogs of BIAB songs out on the web to access for songs that I don't have programmed already and does BIAB read midi files well? Thanks in advance for any help.

#455132 - 02/01/18 11:17 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Monkster, firstly welcome to the forums.

There are many users who do exactly what you want, using BiaB live on stage.

The RealTracks in BiaB are recordings of real instruments, performed by real musicians, and can give you excellent quality performances.

Some users also create their backing tracks and export as an Audio file (WAV, MP3 etc) and play those live instead of BiaB.

You can definitely send the laptop output to your PA, no question that this will work. You can also use a software synth inside BiaB for handling MIDI tracks. Forte DXi (available from PG Music) is a great way to go with very reasonable sounds and for only about $40.

Consider getting a small USB Audio adapter instead of relying on the 3.5mm stereo socket on the laptop - this is for reliability purposes.

BiaB can read MIDI files, and there are also many existing songs on the web. With native MIDI (not BiaB files), you may need to separate the data onto multiple tracks - RealBand, which comes with BiaB for Windows, can do this easily.

Hope this answers your question in some way.

BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#455134 - 02/01/18 11:20 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

BIAB works well with MIDI; however, the sound you get is only as good as the sound module you use.

Also, unless you are looking to do exact covers (which require MIDI), BIAB also uses RealTracks, which are recorded audio phrases that adapt to your chord progression and sound like real live players because they are and were recorded by top studio session musicians.

Also, be aware the PGMusic offers a 30-day money back guarantee.

There are folks that use BIAB live; however, I would suspect most create either WAV or MP3 renderings of their accompaniment for both simplicity sake and consistency.

BIAB also comes with RealBand, a DAW that incorporates a lot of the BIAB song generation features.

Go listen to the User Showcase and you'll be able to hear some of the great original songs that people have used BIAB and RealBand to create. Browse the forum, and look at the video tutorials and you'll find yourself up to speed very quickly. And we users on the forum are happy to answer your questions.

Good luck.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#455139 - 02/01/18 11:51 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: VideoTrack]
Monkster Offline

VideoTrack, Thank you for your reply. I feel more comfortable purchasing the program now and thanks for the tips. I had to cancel some gigs recently from my old laptop crash and really looking forward to getting back to work. BiaB sounds like an amazing program and can't wait to start working with it.

#455144 - 02/01/18 12:17 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: jford]
Monkster Offline

jford, you answered one of my questions about sound in your first sentence. Since my laptop has both Realtek and NVIDIA High Definition Audio, I take it that those are the only sounds I will be hearing. Does BiaB come with any VST instruments, or if not, will BiaB be able to link up to them from other vendors?

#455146 - 02/01/18 12:40 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
jford Offline
Veteran

Your RealTek and NVIDIA will be just for audio. For the playback of MIDI into the audio stream, you'll need a softsynth. BIAB comes with a DXi synth called CoyoteWT (WT is short for Wave Table), which is actually just a wrapper for the low res GM MIDI Wavetable that ships with Windows computers (it takes the Microsoft sounds and and presents it to you as a DXi (DirectX synth).

Also for General MIDI (GM), PGMusic also sells the Coyote Forte synth (also a DXi synth) for $40, which definitely sounds better than the CoyoteWT, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

You also get the free Sforzando VSTi synth, along with several SFZ sounds provided by PGMusic, but it's not General MIDI and you'll have to assign instruments on a track by track basis for each song. However, there are tons of free and not so free sounds out there that Sforzando can play.

If you go the VSTi route, you will probably also want to purchase jBridge from PGMusic (I think it's $10), as that will let you run 64-bit VSTi's and VST effects in the 32-bit BIAB environment.

For VSTi's, you might want to explore VSTi offerings from IK-Multimedia (SampleTank) or Native Instruments (Kontakt). Those aren't cheap, but the sounds are much better, and again they are note General MIDI, so you would have to assign the sounds on a track by track basis for each song.

And of course, the RealTracks/RealDrums are just audio files, so they will play fine on your computer sound card.

Let us know what you are thinking and we can definitely go into more detail.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#455167 - 02/01/18 02:33 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
Loc: Brisbane Australia
Bunyip Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Brisbane Australia
I recently bought BIAB specifically to create backing tracks to use live.

I save the songs as mp3 and load them on my ipad through iTunes. It helps having a mac pc but it is possible to use Windows to do this.

I use Onsong on my ipad to trigger the backing tracks which sync with the chord charts on Onsong.

I use a Line 6 Sonic Port from my ipad to a digital mixer, then to the PA.

This works really well and as I become more proficient in using BIAB I think I will get more refined backing tracks. The sounds in the basic BIAB that I have are good enough to begin with.

#455173 - 02/01/18 03:27 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: jford]
Monkster Offline

jford, Thanks for all the ideas. I need to order BiaB and get my feet wet!

#455191 - 02/01/18 04:40 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

As a tip, go for the best package that you can afford. Certainly try to go better than the Pro pack which is essentially an entry level product. The larger packages contain significantly more features and options, and you'll get greater benefit especially if you intend to use to create backing tracks for performing with.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#455216 - 02/01/18 11:34 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
Loc: Hong Kong
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
You need to think very carefully about using BIAB for live work. I do and I love it, but I don't have exact backings. I accept (and now like) the fact that my covers sound unique. If you are managing to get what you want with what you have, just upgrade to a midi player or a new computer and carry on. Alternatively you could probably get away with Karaoke files or minus 1 files. BIAB is a great product, but it's primarily a songwriting tool. You'll love it regardless, even if not just for writing backing tracks, but remember it's a steep learning curve as well.

Edited by lambada (02/02/18 12:12 AM)
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#455231 - 02/02/18 03:05 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
Rustyspoon Offline

Hey Monkster, or maybe other folks who might be interested... there was a giveaway of Cakewalk Sonar home. I know that Sonar went belly up, but Sonar home was just updated a couple of month before the announcement. As it is, it should last for many years.
Anyway, promotion is real, no need to buy anythng. Couple of friends got it there recently. Here is the link:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3718858&p=1

#455260 - 02/02/18 07:06 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: lambada]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: lambada
You need to think very carefully about using BIAB for live work. I do and I love it, but I don't have exact backings. I accept (and now like) the fact that my covers sound unique. If you are managing to get what you want with what you have, just upgrade to a midi player or a new computer and carry on. Alternatively you could probably get away with Karaoke files or minus 1 files. BIAB is a great product, but it's primarily a songwriting tool. You'll love it regardless, even if not just for writing backing tracks, but remember it's a steep learning curve as well.

I could not disagree more. BIAB/RealTracks/Drums excel on covers.

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#455279 - 02/02/18 10:00 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: 90 dB]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

I agree with Bob. BiaB can provide you with unique and really excellent covers.

#455280 - 02/02/18 10:03 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Along with listening to songs in the User Showcase, to get an idea how a cover tune sounds that was created in solely in BIAB, I previously posted two covers on YouTube and provided links to the songs over in the 'I heard it on YouTube' forum.

Here's Listen to the Music

and "Cherish" by the Association

It was requested I leave out the lead soloist instrument in Cherish and the artist plays that instrument live during the performance.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (02/03/18 08:22 AM)

#455302 - 02/02/18 12:16 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Here is an example of what BIAB can do;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kctbm65HXu8&feature=youtu.be

Regards,

Bob

#461003 - 03/07/18 10:54 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Bunyip]
Loc: Gold Country CA
SteelScott Offline

Loc: Gold Country CA
How is it working out for you, I travel so much I can't work up a band. I use windows and am figuring out a way to play my backing tracks without fiddling with a laptop. Good luck out there

#461098 - 03/08/18 04:49 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: SteelScott]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
I think using BIAB to generate backing tracks is fairly simple and using RealTracks one can quickly achieve the sound of a "real" backing band. I prefer using wav files or more recently MP3s. It gives me the chance to mix the way I want and get the levels even. Using an usb sound card it is easy to plug my guitar in and have predetermined levels. I prefer the use of BIAB generated tracks to downloaded karaoke type tracks as I can get them to sound more like a live band behind me. I do my own guitar work, breaks etc. The BIAB band behind me has a couple of guitars, bass and drums sometimes with piano, or pedal steel, banjo, mandolin or fiddle not too much at any one time.

That's the way I like it (no egos to contend with and no arguments either).

Tony

#489251 - 09/04/18 03:13 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: 90 dB]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Denmark
Wonderful cover. I'm impressed!

#489312 - 09/05/18 06:37 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Will Josef]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wonderful cover. I'm impressed!

Thank you.

Regards,

Bob

#489553 - 09/06/18 01:30 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
Loc: UK
WendyM Online   content
Apprentice

Loc: UK
FWIW I create singing backing tracks in BB, don about a dozen so far,and once I am happy I freeze the tracks and balance it all in the mixer and then export it as a wav.These all get put in my andrex (joke) tablet and I create a playlist in the Player in there and bobsharunkle.
Works for me anyway,but then again Im still a beginner.
Wendy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Order in Time for Christmas!

Looking to put Band-in-a-Box® under the tree? It's not too late!

USA/Canada: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery
Outside of North America: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th.

Order online anytime at www.pgmusic.com and be downloading most products within minutes!

Until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows, we've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

Forum Stats
28475 Members
58 Forums
55363 Topics
461312 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
gaboz, Gord Heath, Krisssss Wu, MikeF, csinclair152

28475 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 399
Pipeline 363