You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#455304 - 02/02/18 12:23 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] BIAB ON YOUTUBE
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Here's a backing track made with BIAB. The bass track is missing- that was played live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kctbm65HXu8&feature=youtu.be

Regards,

Bob

#455313 - 02/02/18 01:27 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE [Re: 90 dB]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
One of my favorite songs. Excellent job. You should maybe comment on YouTube the bass was left out and played live because this was done as a performance track. This is a very good cover.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (02/02/18 01:28 PM)

#455317 - 02/02/18 02:06 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE [Re: Charlie Fogle]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
One of my favorite songs. Excellent job. You should maybe comment on YouTube the bass was left out and played live because this was done as a performance track. This is a very good cover.

Thanks Charlie. I just posted that in response to a comment that BIAB is just a songwriter's tool, and no good for covers. (In the Beginner's forum.)

Regards,

Bob

#455842 - 02/05/18 03:40 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE [Re: 90 dB]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Well done, Mr. Burke.

#455960 - 02/06/18 06:34 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE [Re: 90 dB]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Thanks very much floyd. It shows what can be done with BAIB, a "Songwriter's tool." grin

Regards,

Bob

#455973 - 02/06/18 07:41 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE [Re: 90 dB]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Thanks Charlie. I just posted that in response to a comment that BIAB is just a songwriter's tool, and no good for covers. (In the Beginner's forum.)

Regards,

Bob

Good job, Bob!

If I may weigh in on the topic: BIAB is as capable as the person using it. For somebody of your experience with the software, knowledge of music, and ability to play some parts (or arrange MIDI) in order to get the signature passages, BIAB is indeed capable of creating great sounding covers.

But its worth noting that there are people buying BIAB with the expectation of entering chords, pressing a button and getting a note for note rendition of a pop standard. That ain't gonna happen.

I recently got a PM from somebody who felt he had been duped into buying BIAB based on forum discussion about how well it creates cover songs.

For the sake of all potential customers of varying skill level, it is reasonable to provide full disclosure about how much editing was required to get a good sounding cover.

Listening to your song, I am impressed by how much of it is "right out of the box", but it still took some performance skill on your part along with some MIDI arranging and audio editing to transform BIAB output to what we just heard.

Once people are aware of that, they can decide for themselves if its the right tool for THEM to create cover songs.

#455982 - 02/06/18 08:07 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE [Re: 90 dB]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Quote:
But its worth noting that there are people buying BIAB with the expectation of entering chords, pressing a button and getting a note for note rendition of a pop standard. That ain't gonna happen.

Wait, are you telling me that I can't just type the title (say, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling") and BIAB won't just play an exact rendition of the Righteous Brothers accompaniment, regardless of the style I select? Or intuitively know that I actually wanted the Hall and Oates version instead? And it doesn't correct my chord chart to fix the chords I entered incorrectly? Are you telling me that? I'm so disappointed. frown

LaptopBeast HP Win10Pro64 8GB
AudioBeast ASUS Win10Pro64 16GB
VideoBeast HP Win10Pro64 8GB

BB-RB2020/UMC404HD/Casio Kbds/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NIKomplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com

#456001 - 02/06/18 10:13 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE [Re: 90 dB]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

“If I may weigh in on the topic: BIAB is as capable as the person using it. For somebody of your experience with the software, knowledge of music, and ability to play some parts (or arrange MIDI) in order to get the signature passages, BIAB is indeed capable of creating great sounding covers.”

Pat,

This was just to showcase what can be done with a cover in BIAB. It's base is in BIAB, merely embellished with some MIDI orchestration. One could just as well play the song without the MIDI, for a more acoustic feel. It still has all the feel of the original.

“But its worth noting that there are people buying BIAB with the expectation of entering chords, pressing a button and getting a note for note rendition of a pop standard. That ain't gonna happen.

I recently got a PM from somebody who felt he had been duped into buying BIAB based on forum discussion about how well it creates cover songs.”

My recollection is most people actually say that you can get close, but not note for note. Most of our material is BIAB tracks, everything from The Beatles to George Jones, and no- it doesn't sound 'just like the record', but I don't want it to- it's a cover.

As for the person you “duped”; did it take him 30 days to discover that fact? Blaming you when there is a 30-day warranty is a bit lame. grin

“For the sake of all potential customers of varying skill level, it is reasonable to provide full disclosure about how much editing was required to get a good sounding cover.

Listening to your song, I am impressed by how much of it is "right out of the box", but it still took some performance skill on your part along with some MIDI arranging and audio editing to transform BIAB output to what we just heard.

Once people are aware of that, they can decide for themselves if its the right tool for THEM to create cover songs.”

I ain't no MIDI guru. If I can do it, anyone can. A decent string library and BIAB and Bob's yer uncle!

Regards,

Bob

Edited by 90 dB (02/06/18 10:14 AM)

#456163 - 02/07/18 05:16 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE [Re: 90 dB]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

As follow-up to my previous post (which was sort of a "point-counterpoint" addendum to the topic) I feel compelled to reinforce Bob's original point about BIAB being more than capable of creating tracks for cover songs.

Anybody who is using music creation software to record covers needs to address the signature licks one way or another. They also have to address the background instruments.

BIAB stands alone in its ability to generate the basic background tracks in just about any style. So if the alternative plan is to record ALL of the tracks in Pro Tools, then BIAB just made the job a lot easier by taking care of the backing tracks. With or without BIAB, creating note for note reproductions is going to require some MIDI or performed tracks.

People who can't play the signature riffs or combine MIDI with BIAB output have two options:

1) embrace their own version of the song and stop worrying about the signature licks

2) resort to karaoke tracks

I've done both. Building a good sounding cover in BIAB is much more satisfying, but it does take longer and requires more skill.

#461304 - 03/09/18 08:07 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE [Re: 90 dB]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great work on this, Bob! This really showcases what Band-in-a-Box is capable of, as others have mentioned smile Thanks for sharing!

PG Music News
Video - Entering More Than 4 Chords Per Bar in Band-in-a-Box!

One of our latest support videos created by Tobin shows off a great workaround for entering more than 4 chords per bar in your Band-in-a-Box song, using a combination of half-time and normal RealTracks - check it out!

Video Testimonial - Dennis Dearing Talks Band-in-a-Box®

Dennis remembers Band-in-a-Box® from years ago, but his connection to Mike Harrison and hearing him talk about the RealTracks is what really got him excited about the program!

Hear his thoughts and see how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin for his projects with his Video Testimonial:

https://youtu.be/WqmtoxfJwDw

It's been a great addition to my workflow!
-Dennis Dearing

To learn more about Dennis, check out his testimonial page here.

You can create your own video testimonial letting people know how you use the program too! Learn how here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Forum Stats
32458 Members
68 Forums
65110 Topics
551654 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
rod_house, RichOnStage, Budgeman, JohnyBlacks, Bruce K.

32457 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 180
MusicStudent 143
Matt Finley 139
Jim Fogle 135
MarioD 106
Rustyspoon# 105
rayc 102
Pipeline 100
Janice & Bud 100
floyd jane 96