You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#467496 - 04/16/18 10:03 AM [User Showcase] New Age tune
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Hi guys, probably starting a new series of New Age/Smooth Jazz kind of tunes. Also trying my hand at mixing with Sonar Platinum. Still a long ways to go on this new DAW for me. Opinions always welcomed.
https://soundcloud.com/cubanpete/turning-the-page

Style is ANSWERS.STY (Answers - New Age - Smooth Jazz)
BassCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
DrumsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
MelodyCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
SoloistCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
Style MIDI Instruments are : Strings (49), Pad-New Age (89), 26/1 12-Strings Guitar, GM2 Bank 1, Pad-Bowed (93),
MIDI Drums :9 Room Drum Kit (9)

#467523 - 04/16/18 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
What you have so far sounds pretty good to me! I dig the sound of it and the instrument choices you made. Thanks for sharing!

#467543 - 04/16/18 02:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I enjoyed listening to this new style that you're working on... What I especially liked is the way you use the hi-hats / symbols to color your track, from the minimalistic beginning tap tap tap to opening up the high hats to give it more texture... Looking forward to hearing more on this one!

#467559 - 04/16/18 03:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Thanks Ember and Tano for the comments. Working on the second one. Always looking for new sounds.
Thanks

Mike B.

#467729 - 04/17/18 12:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Mike !

This is just magic !
Liking everything
about it !

Your selection of
instros is absolutely
perfect as is the mix
and solo too !

Cheers
Dani

#467746 - 04/17/18 03:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Soothing and engaging all the way through. Enjoyed discovering all the nuances.

Very nice! Sounds like you have already well adapted to the new DAW.

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#467760 - 04/17/18 05:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
The 1st thing that struck me was how toppy, narrow & midi sounding the drums are.
The cymbals are the main cause of that I think - whilst they do add almost all of the stereo image they are also the most in need of some softening.
There's a lot of build up in the high mids across the mix.
Your elements are pretty good though that lead thing sounds like a really low quality MP3 - the tunnel sound - it may be an effect you've chosen but it degrades the sound.
Over all for a new age/ambient construction you need more delay & reverb to soften things into each other.
I like your melody & arrangements but it's probably the newness to the DAW, that will soon be overcome, taht's holding the piece back.
A great start.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#467838 - 04/18/18 07:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Really nice job! I'm getting a Brian Eno-ish kind of vibe with this one. Definitely a really relaxing and really spacey tune. I love the sparse percussion you used here. It works very nicely with the atmospheric instrumental.

Great work - thanks for sharing smile

#467861 - 04/18/18 09:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
A very evocative track Pete, I was seeing cold blue shades as I played this!
The instruments and arrangement sound fine to me; and for me it leans more to smooth jazz than New Age. With that in mind, if I were mixing it I think I would bring the drums and bass forward a tad, there needs to be a little more anchor in the bottom end to contrast with the sparkling sounds higher up. I'd ease off the reverb a weeny bit. Oh, and here's me being a bit OCD, the end fadeout needs to be long to suit the mood of the piece maybe? But that's just my ears!

Off for another listen...
cool

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#467909 - 04/18/18 01:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: Skyline]
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, that's what this forum is all about. So many fine musicians to be considered. The next one is coming.

Mike B.

#467928 - 04/18/18 02:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hi Pete. Great mix with the new daw. Well done on all fronts. Rob

#467936 - 04/18/18 02:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Nice one Mike! It did seem a little light on the low end, but based on your past work, I know you know what you’re doing. So maybe you made the conscious choice for what you’re going for. I enjoyed it regardless, Tom

#467949 - 04/18/18 03:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Very nice Mike! This carries the listener along on a smooth as silk journey! Great all the way around! Thanks, Torrey

#467967 - 04/18/18 05:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Mike, I really like this! I like what you are doing with the hats and cymbals. Like the sparkle. I agree the bottom end could be a little fuller, but that's just my taste. I think you should definitely do more with this genre!

Steve

#468001 - 04/19/18 03:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome back track Mike. Super mix on everything. So clear and clean sound. Loved the melody.. Well done

#468067 - 04/19/18 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Thanks Rob,Tommy,Torrey,Steve and Scott for the time of your listen and comments. Always looking forward to your opinion.
More to come.

Mike B.

#468080 - 04/19/18 03:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

This is a cool venture into new territory- "sparkling" is a good word already used to describe the sound. I enjoyed the atmosphere you`ve created and interested to hear where you go next with this style.

Robert

#468239 - 04/20/18 04:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: dani48]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Mike !

This is just magic !
Liking everything
about it !

Your selection of
instros is absolutely
perfect as is the mix
and solo too !

Cheers
Dani

Absolutely!! Wonderful, interesting, engaging music!! Great mix too! Very cool Mike!! Take care. Greg

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows New Features

Learn all about the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows - our New Features Video is ready! Watch it here.

Read all about the new features:
New features website
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Upgrade Manual

Or read our "49 of Your Problems Solved!" page, here, which lists 49 requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows.

Don't forget... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2019 - you can save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2020 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2020 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

49 of Your Problems Solved with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, there are 50+ new features, 202 RealTracks, and more!

We get ideas for the new features and new RealTracks from program users- there are several sources: our Wishlist and general forum, support phone calls, trade shows, etc. In most cases, customers are not describing a new feature – they are describing a problem they have that they would like to have solved.

This is a list of our features and additions in Band-in-a-Box® 2020, presented from a unique perspective. It is from this customer list of "problems they would like solved." These are not exact quotes, they are paraphrased from our discussions with our customers. They explain what problems and requests they discussed with us, that resulted in the various new features and RealTracks. Hopefully this answers the question "why did you add this feature/content?"

So, without further ado, here are the 49 requests/problems that we (hopefully) have solved with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020: click here to review.

50 New RealStyles included in Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 is a new library of 100 original loops that we've created using RealTracks/RealDrums source material, and it includes 50 new RealStyles!

Click here to listen to audio demos of the new RealStyles included with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®.

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st! Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19! Click here for more information.

New! Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

A brand-new Band-in-a-Box Add-on is HERE!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 (and higher) expands your loops collection with 100 new loops! Click here to watch our video demonstration.

We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered, like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle!

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st!

Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19!

Click here for more information. Mac user? This new Add-on works for you too! Click here for Mac.

Video - 202 New RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows®!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we've added 202 new RealTracks! These include great Americana, Gospel Vocals, new Blues, Country Pollwinners, Bossa Flute/Horn sections, Jazz Blues and Rhythm Changes, British and Hazy '60s guitars, Modern Funk, Island Grooves with steel drum and marimba, Singer-Songwriter, and more!

Get the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352 when you purchase the PlusPAK upgrade (ideal for 2019 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+ customers) for just $99 during our special (reg. $129).

Want the entire RealTracks collection with over 2,900 RealTracks? They are included with any Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Check out this video, which demonstrates the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352.

New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Add-ons are Here!

Just released for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1!

We've added 164 fantastic new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 8! These are imaginative new combinations of our existing RealTracks library that fall into four categories: Rock/Pop 8, Jazz 8, Country 8, and Celtic 1. To celebrate the release of Xtra Styles PAK 8, ALL of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-8 are on sale for just $29 each! Learn more & listen to demos here.

Also brand-new is our Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®, which gives you the chance to expand your loops collection with 100 new loops! We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle! Get started with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for the introductory price of just $19 until December 31st (reg: $29). Learn more & watch a great video demonstration here.

Note: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1 require the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 or higher UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!* (plus the 49-PAK!)

It's HERE! Take a quick tour of the just-released Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows when you check out our latest video:
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!* (plus the 49-PAK!)

Read more about this new version here, and check out our amazing upgrade pricing (up to 50% off during our special!) here!

Forum Stats
30585 Members
63 Forums
61218 Topics
516957 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
djames, David Jones, Mark Smith, Pete Grant, David Witham

30585 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 293
Matt Finley 229