You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#467496 - 04/16/18 10:03 AM [User Showcase] New Age tune
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Hi guys, probably starting a new series of New Age/Smooth Jazz kind of tunes. Also trying my hand at mixing with Sonar Platinum. Still a long ways to go on this new DAW for me. Opinions always welcomed.
https://soundcloud.com/cubanpete/turning-the-page

Style is ANSWERS.STY (Answers - New Age - Smooth Jazz)
BassCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
DrumsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
MelodyCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
SoloistCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
Style MIDI Instruments are : Strings (49), Pad-New Age (89), 26/1 12-Strings Guitar, GM2 Bank 1, Pad-Bowed (93),
MIDI Drums :9 Room Drum Kit (9)

#467523 - 04/16/18 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
What you have so far sounds pretty good to me! I dig the sound of it and the instrument choices you made. Thanks for sharing!

#467543 - 04/16/18 02:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I enjoyed listening to this new style that you're working on... What I especially liked is the way you use the hi-hats / symbols to color your track, from the minimalistic beginning tap tap tap to opening up the high hats to give it more texture... Looking forward to hearing more on this one!

#467559 - 04/16/18 03:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Thanks Ember and Tano for the comments. Working on the second one. Always looking for new sounds.
Thanks

Mike B.

#467729 - 04/17/18 12:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Mike !

This is just magic !
Liking everything
about it !

Your selection of
instros is absolutely
perfect as is the mix
and solo too !

Cheers
Dani

#467746 - 04/17/18 03:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Soothing and engaging all the way through. Enjoyed discovering all the nuances.

Very nice! Sounds like you have already well adapted to the new DAW.

J&B

#467760 - 04/17/18 05:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
The 1st thing that struck me was how toppy, narrow & midi sounding the drums are.
The cymbals are the main cause of that I think - whilst they do add almost all of the stereo image they are also the most in need of some softening.
There's a lot of build up in the high mids across the mix.
Your elements are pretty good though that lead thing sounds like a really low quality MP3 - the tunnel sound - it may be an effect you've chosen but it degrades the sound.
Over all for a new age/ambient construction you need more delay & reverb to soften things into each other.
I like your melody & arrangements but it's probably the newness to the DAW, that will soon be overcome, taht's holding the piece back.
A great start.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#467838 - 04/18/18 07:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Really nice job! I'm getting a Brian Eno-ish kind of vibe with this one. Definitely a really relaxing and really spacey tune. I love the sparse percussion you used here. It works very nicely with the atmospheric instrumental.

Great work - thanks for sharing smile

#467861 - 04/18/18 09:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
A very evocative track Pete, I was seeing cold blue shades as I played this!
The instruments and arrangement sound fine to me; and for me it leans more to smooth jazz than New Age. With that in mind, if I were mixing it I think I would bring the drums and bass forward a tad, there needs to be a little more anchor in the bottom end to contrast with the sparkling sounds higher up. I'd ease off the reverb a weeny bit. Oh, and here's me being a bit OCD, the end fadeout needs to be long to suit the mood of the piece maybe? But that's just my ears!

Off for another listen...
cool

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#467909 - 04/18/18 01:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: Skyline]
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, that's what this forum is all about. So many fine musicians to be considered. The next one is coming.

Mike B.

#467928 - 04/18/18 02:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hi Pete. Great mix with the new daw. Well done on all fronts. Rob

#467936 - 04/18/18 02:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Nice one Mike! It did seem a little light on the low end, but based on your past work, I know you know what you’re doing. So maybe you made the conscious choice for what you’re going for. I enjoyed it regardless, Tom

#467949 - 04/18/18 03:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Very nice Mike! This carries the listener along on a smooth as silk journey! Great all the way around! Thanks, Torrey

#467967 - 04/18/18 05:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Mike, I really like this! I like what you are doing with the hats and cymbals. Like the sparkle. I agree the bottom end could be a little fuller, but that's just my taste. I think you should definitely do more with this genre!

Steve

#468001 - 04/19/18 03:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome back track Mike. Super mix on everything. So clear and clean sound. Loved the melody.. Well done

#468067 - 04/19/18 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Thanks Rob,Tommy,Torrey,Steve and Scott for the time of your listen and comments. Always looking forward to your opinion.
More to come.

Mike B.

#468080 - 04/19/18 03:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: cubanpete]
Robertkc Online   content
Veteran

This is a cool venture into new territory- "sparkling" is a good word already used to describe the sound. I enjoyed the atmosphere you`ve created and interested to hear where you go next with this style.

Robert

#468239 - 04/20/18 04:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Age tune [Re: dani48]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Mike !

This is just magic !
Liking everything
about it !

Your selection of
instros is absolutely
perfect as is the mix
and solo too !

Cheers
Dani

Absolutely!! Wonderful, interesting, engaging music!! Great mix too! Very cool Mike!! Take care. Greg

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

#TipTuesday Band-in-a-Box® Online Manuals - An Excellent Resource!

The Band-in-a-Box® program manuals are available on our Support page - what an excellent online resource to help you get the most out of the program!

Head to our Support | Online Manuals page and you'll have access to both a PDF and an online program manual for Band-in-a-Box® 2018-2020 and RealBand 2018-2020!

Bookmark www.pgmusic.com/manuals/ today!

Forum Stats
32440 Members
68 Forums
65072 Topics
551284 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Subversive, Ron B, Gregg Miller, Steve H, hervejazz

32440 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 176
Jim Fogle 157