Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
HearToLearn, you make some really great points. I agree with 90% of what you said! The part I disagree on is whether or not BIAB is capable of producing modern music. As you have correctly noted, there is none in the showcase. And, perhaps even more telling, the programmers and musicians at PG have also not produced any modern chart-worthy examples.

I've had this conversation and even had folks here try to convince me with examples of modern sounding music they could quickly produce with BIAB but honestly nothing that sounded chart-worthy to me.

So yes, the vast majority of BIAB users producing music and sharing it here are using BIAB exactly how it was designed...to produce awesome sounding classic rock, classic jazz and classic country. Maybe there are some BIAB users who have mastered BIAB to the point that they are able to get modern sounding songs or as Bob suggested, maybe they are using DAWs to produce their modern music.

Personally, I am trying to produce a more modern set of songs and I am using loops, MIDI tools and, I hope, BIAB for some tracks and bits. But I think the magic, should any occur, will be in my DAW.

And I will go ahead and say, as you do, NO OFFENSE INTENDED to BIAB users or to PG! None at all! Just speaking frankly!

One parting thought...if someone did manage to produce something modern and chart-worthy, maybe they would not be inclined to pop into the forums and say "Here is how I did it!"

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
BiaB is a rather unique tool, it does what it does better than the limited competition.

Generally I'd agree with this but I am starting to see some damn fine competition for specific instruments. As an example, I own RealGuitar and it has some great acoustic guitar samples but what makes it shine and easy to use is they also provided me with a ton of patterns that I can mix and match to lay out my song. And when I add the humanize feature I can come up with an acoustic fingerpicked guitar I love better than any acoustic fingerpicked RealTrack I have found (and I have tried all of them)!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not trying to put words into Hear To Learn's mouth but, my take on what he is politely saying is most of the users that post in this forum do not follow current music. Since we are not familiar with current music we likely will not be familiar with using PG products to create current music.

PG Music does provide content suitable for creating modern pop music. For example look no further than the included with every purchase loop collection which contains loops for genres like drum and bass, trance, edm and dirty south; all which are likely genres many of us have never heard of or listened to.

I don't have the desire or know enough about current music trends to successfully incorporate these loops into my music. It just doesn't match what I hear in my head. I suspect the same is true of many other users.

Yet I also have little doubt someone with a different attitude and a different way of listening to music, for example Weird Al Yankovic, could use PG Products to duplicate the feel and sound of any current song. After all that's what parody is all about.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I'm not trying to put words into Hear To Learn's mouth but, my take on what he is politely saying is most of the users that post in this forum do not follow current music.

Agree. I haven't listened to the radio in 20 years. "Current" music is far more widely varied than when I was young. There was rock, country and soul. Not all these niche genres. What is "Americana"? I have been told that Americana is everything that doesn't fit into other genres. Is Bryan Adams Canadacana? And British bands Briticana?

One great example of what I am trying to say is Radiohead. I had a prof in my Pro Tools class that went on and on about those guys. I listened to what was listed as their 10 best songs and was never so bored in my life. I came away with the opinion that they sound like burn outs who smoked way too much pot in their teens. I would never strive to create music inspired by Radiohead. Ergo, I am "not in tune with current music"?

I watched Austin City Limits last night. There was some band called the Avett Brothers. I thought their music was trite, banal, and just plain stupid. Neither of them can sing. At all. They yell, but they don't sing. But they are popular. So again, I guess I am out of touch. Plus they look totally unprofessional on stage.

How stupid would a short fat old white man look on stage rapping? That'd be me. So am I out of touch, or actually quite IN touch with who I am?

On some of the threads here, some of the PG staffers have commented about their favorite bands. I have pretty much never heard of any of them. That is a specific way of saying "To a man my age, with 40 year old children, they are kids. They are listening to their generation's version of my generation's Beatles."

I quit watching Lollapalooza when half the acts became DJs. I don't want to listen to a bunch of kids taking existing music and remixing it. That bunch doesn't write a single note of music. Nothing.

So, to topic, if anybody has the time to sift through the literally millions of combinations of styles and real tracks to try and come up with something "chartworthy", bless them. I, equally as literally, don't have enough years left in my life to do that. Nor do I have the desire. This is a hobby. I have no deep rooted idea that something I write will ever be on any chart, even "Joe's Chart of Stuff That Doesn't Fit Anywhere". I guess I could make up my own chart, but I probably wouldn't pick me.....

I should also add that I haven't watched the Grammys in about 15 years either. I have no need to know who "The award for the song with the most anger, vulgarity and sexism goes to...." I don't know how old you (HearToLearn) are. It seems like you are far younger than a lot of us. Some of these guys voted for Lincoln.....

Last edited by eddie1261; 04/25/18 04:32 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Some of these guys voted for Lincoln.....

Now that's funny...I don't care who you are! laugh

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Really? $600 is going to break you?

At this point in my life, yes....pretty much..... smile

As for BiaB and the showcase, a lot of the folks in there could write a great tune using loops on Abelton because they are Songwriters & Musicians, NOT wannabees! wink

Talent will always win for folks who appreciate it. For the ones who think sampling someone else's work & calling themselves musicians because the snapped it to the grid...well, they will never get it. frown

All IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada etc etc etc grin cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think producing a modern sounding track is possible with BIAB. It certainly has a lot of tools to do that. In my opinion it is the skills you have in using those tools to make a song into what you envision. I think for most of us old pharts having the vision is the problem.

As Jim so rightly said, most of us don’t follow new music. But.. IF we did follow new music all the time AND we did want to make a modern sounding song AND we tried making modern songs over a period of time (many many times), then maybe. But the point is we have got to want to do it.

One of the things I am trying is making covers sound modern, using BIAB. I figure if I do one a week I may hit my goal in about 2022....

Now I’m off to check out Ableton live.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 04/25/18 06:44 PM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
Come on guys, back to work! grin I'd love to see someone do a Prince cover in BIAB/RB. That would be impressive. Any takers?

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: lambada
Come on guys, back to work! grin I'd love to see someone do a Prince cover in BIAB/RB. That would be impressive. Any takers?

Do you have any particular song(s) in mind?

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
HearToLearn, you make some really great points. I agree with 90% of what you said! The part I disagree on is whether or not BIAB is capable of producing modern music. As you have correctly noted, there is none in the showcase. And, perhaps even more telling, the programmers and musicians at PG have also not produced any modern chart-worthy examples.

I've had this conversation and even had folks here try to convince me with examples of modern sounding music they could quickly produce with BIAB but honestly nothing that sounded chart-worthy to me.

So yes, the vast majority of BIAB users producing music and sharing it here are using BIAB exactly how it was designed...to produce awesome sounding classic rock, classic jazz and classic country. Maybe there are some BIAB users who have mastered BIAB to the point that they are able to get modern sounding songs or as Bob suggested, maybe they are using DAWs to produce their modern music.

Personally, I am trying to produce a more modern set of songs and I am using loops, MIDI tools and, I hope, BIAB for some tracks and bits. But I think the magic, should any occur, will be in my DAW.

And I will go ahead and say, as you do, NO OFFENSE INTENDED to BIAB users or to PG! None at all! Just speaking frankly!

One parting thought...if someone did manage to produce something modern and chart-worthy, maybe they would not be inclined to pop into the forums and say "Here is how I did it!"

I was going to reply to this yesterday and may day took a different direction. Life! lol.

Anyway, I'm not sure...are you saying you don't feel a modern/chart sounding (I think that may be how I wanted to phrase it) song couldn't be done with BIAB and/or Realtracks?

I think it does take some additional instrumentation and outside daw use to do it...just like mostly every song in the showcase though. It's definitively not the "set and forget" mentality for something like this.

I totally KNOW it's possible. Someone will do it.

The short version : To me it's like saying, "my guitar doesn't play jazz."

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Crazy day for me, so here it goes...

Jim-You get me! lol

David-Right on brother!

Eddie-You made my point. Also, 46.

Gotta go for now. lol

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jcspro40
As for BiaB and the showcase, a lot of the folks in there could write a great tune using loops on Abelton because they are Songwriters & Musicians, NOT wannabees!

The biggest point that has become subliminal here is that a large number of us DON'T play in bands to where we have a drummer and guitar player waiting for a call to come over and lay down tracks. As usual I can only speak for myself but I have no intention of EVER being involved with the drama that goes with prima donna musicians again. I can't get along with ONE wife. I don't even want to try it with 5 of them!

While the drums in BIAB lack custom fills, they keep perfect time. The rhythm instruments just need to lay down beds for the vocals. And bass? Well, ANYBODY can play bass... LOL!

So BIAB is meant to fill the need of a backing band as a writing tool. Some of the guys play gigs, but look at what they play. Nobody here is playing Madison Square Garden with BIAB backing tracks. Playing at the VA or the senior's home doesn't exactly require an extreme high level of quality. Nobody there is paying 100 bucks a ticket to get in. Sure we have all put out CDs with BIAB tracks, but in my case if it was a project where I seriously expected to sell 100,000 or more copies I would have brought in musicians to replicate and enhance the BIAB tracks. It was a bucket list item for me, and now that I checked it off, if there is a second CD it will be just because that particular whim hit me.

Bottom line, as many have said in many forums, BIAB is a specific tool to fill a specific need, that need being to provide backing tracks so we can write when the mood hits without logistical problems of scheduling a bunch of arrogant prima donna musicians who whine non stop because they are not being paid to rehearse and any other thing they can think of to whine about. God I hate being in a band. I don't get along with ONE wife. Imagine how it I am with 5 of them!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

............ As usual I can only speak for myself but I have no intention of EVER being involved with the drama that goes with prima donna musicians again.

Bottom line, as many have said in many forums, BIAB is a specific tool to fill a specific need, that need being to provide backing tracks so we can write when the mood hits without logistical problems of scheduling a bunch of arrogant prima donna musicians who whine non stop because they are not being paid to rehearse and any other thing they can think of to whine about.

Right on brother right on!

While the drums in BIAB lack custom fills, they keep perfect time. The rhythm instruments just need to lay down beds for the vocals. And bass? Well, ANYBODY can play bass... LOL!

It is my understanding that RDs have single hits at the end of their strings so via cut and paste you could make custom fills. Also if you use MIDI you can easily create custom fills.

Being a bassist I disagree about that bass statement mad wink

PS - Don't jump on me, I saw your LOL grin

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, this whole thread has me seriously confused now.

I believe there are 30,000 people on this forum, or something like that right, from all over the world?

I would assume that the majority of those have BIAB or they wouldn't be on the forum.

Let's say 1/3 of those know how to use a DAW, play an instrument, and have familiarity with samples and VSTs.

Are you saying that out of 10,000 people across the world with home studios, no one has the ability to use Band in a Box with other stuff to make a piece of crap that sounds like chart material?

No one can write lyrics about having sex by the fire and sipping pink champagne?

No one has access to FL Studios or Maschine????

Come on people, show us what you got!

I say we have a contest to see who can use BIAB and other stuff to make the biggest piece of crap ever written in the history of mankind, and I guarantee you that you will get on the Today Show and never have to worry about $600 ever again.

What is wrong with you people? All we are asking for is a little stupidity and a complete lack of musical ability. Is that too much to ask???

It is time for PG Music to now sponsor a contest on:

Who Can Write the Crappiest Song Ever in the History of the Universe

Then we can settle this modern songwriting argument once and for all, so we can all just move on.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

No one can write lyrics about having sex by the fire and sipping pink champagne?

Sorry Mr Snyder, but I am not familiar with either of those topics....

Quote:
Who Can Write the Crappiest Song Ever in the History of the Universe

Then we can settle this modern songwriting argument once and for all, so we can all just move on.

That's not even a contest anymore! I won that title LONG ago!!!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David-Kuddos on a new approach; but I'm not sure insulting people into doing this is going to work. laugh

In all honesty, I think people REALLY underestimate what it ACTUALLY takes to make some of these songs. Not some half-arsed, "this is as good as anything on the radio" swing-and-a-miss...but the real deal.

If it were actually THAT easy, it would be done MUCH more. It's hard work. I don't care who you are.

If it's not your thing, I think that's totally cool. I say people should like what they like, and write the same way. The charts are not the be-all-end-all in my opinion. FAR from it! Most of the music I like would never chart at all.

It does seem a bit strange though about the number of references to how pathetically easy it would be to do chart sounding songs...yet who has done it? It always has to be cut down to make it sounds like it takes now talent. Show me even 1 song that I can actually put in a playlist with actual other songs on the charts right now and not have it stand out like a sore thumb. Looking for just 1 here.

If you (no one specific here) say how stupid and crappy this kind of music is, yet you can't do it...you are saying some not so great things about your own abilities.

I dislike the sound of screamo music. It is SO NOT my thing. I don't say it's no talent crap though. I would look STUPID if I had to try to play blast beats are sing that way. I'm talking MAJOR embarrassment. I just not a fan of it; and that's about where it ends for me.

I'm glad we have the songs in the user showcase we do. There's a lot of great music there. I do wish we had a tad more genres represented to really showcase not just us, but the flexibility of the product as well. PG Music, in so many ways, has set us up for success. I'm sure at some point, we'll have people who add to what we already have.

Later for now.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
Any Prince song will do Deaconblue. wink The rest of you have given me an entertaining read this morning. grin It's instructive to listen to some of the acoustic covers of the latest songs on Youtube. It does show how good some of them are. smile The rest my 12 year old daughter makes sure I get the hear! cry I'm begging just put some Justin Beiber on.... shocked

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
What is modern music? Is it the boom boom boom window rattling sound I hear when a car goes up the road?

More importantly what is the next big thing in music (for those wishing to really make it).

BIAB in my opinion is a great product that allows one to create. As I wrote some time back one is only limited by ones imagination. I unfortunately don’t have the imagination to write songs (I usually end up sounding like someone else). I do however have enough creativity to put together what I consider good backing tracks. Not pure copies of some song I could download from the WEB but my own sound my way. I have had others ask where I download my songs my answer is I generated them.

Do I just use BIAB? No, I also use several daws and don’t just grab a style and use it. Most times I’ll add or change tracks. Sometimes generate the same songs a few times, bring the tracks into a daw the chop and change parts. It is my choice.

I really don’t see BIAB as limited. I repeat it is only as limited as ones imagination.

The way I feel

Tony.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,293
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181