Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#471930 - 05/08/18 06:09 PM [User Showcase] "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

So here we are near the mid of May and still we've been having snow in the air. Even for Iceland, that's pushing it smirk

That's basically the sentiment from which this song comes from (another 'co-written' by BBox & myself piece); sitting at the frosty window on a chilly but calm evening, with that longing for winter to be over.
I give you: WHEN WINTER LEAVES... - Enjoy! cool

Formalities:

Style is _WINTER.STY

RealTracks in style: ~2311:Bass, Acoustic, JazzBalladRonA-B Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~743:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 060 (A:simple)
RealTracks in song: ~1499:Guitar, Electric, SoloAccompaniment JazzBallad Sw 060
RealTracks in style: 2792:Horn Section, Background CroonerBallad11-Part Sw 060
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: JazzSwingLewis

Other instruments performed by yours truly.

p.s. Yes, I'm aware of the double-meaning of 'winter leaves', I can be clever like that wink

#471977 - 05/08/18 11:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Cool idea - I reckon you should double the horn section - add a harmony or almost duplicate group and throw them on the other side with a good chunk of reverb across both.
The horn solo is fine but seems odd not having the centre of the stereo image when the vibes - whilst stereo, seem centred.
The main melody is a little bright and could use a little top end roll off.
Nice work.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

#471979 - 05/09/18 12:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Sounding very festive. Rob

#471986 - 05/09/18 01:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Eddie,

Great - a very rich and melodic sound. Pro mix.

Bob

#472038 - 05/09/18 08:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Beautiful melody and tranquil arrangement interpreting nicely the longing for the end of winter. I can still remember 1.5 months ago when I was longing the same thing here in Finland. Now it's great spring here, I really hope it will arrive there too very soon smile

Janne

#472069 - 05/09/18 10:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: rayc]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the constructive observations, Mr. Ray, Let me just give my take on these:

"you should double the horn section - add a harmony or almost duplicate group and throw them on the other side with a good chunk of reverb across both."

Absolutely not, for that would completely overpower the intended 'tranquil' sentiment! Besides, I'm a huge believer in the 'less is more' principle, which I certainly feel is warranted here.

"The horn solo is fine but seems odd not having the centre of the stereo image when the vibes - whilst stereo, seem centred."

I actually went back and forth on this, but the basis for my choice here was to minimise the risk of clashing with the similar sounding horns (which are in fact also panned a tad off centre, but to the opposite side). Also, in a live setting, these two instruments, trombone and vibes, wouldn't both be at the centre, that's just practically implausible, and I tried to reflect that... but maybe I overdid it, it's a mileage-may-vary case for sure.

"The main melody is a little bright and could use a little top end roll off."

I suspect speakers & ears on each end are a vital factor here, but fair enuff. I was aiming to contrast the booming low end of the bass (and guitar to some extent) and may have overdone it. Also, I used some EZ Mix, a set of plugs/effects that I only recently bought and am still finding my ways with, on this project to give the lead a slight 'ethereal' sound, which maybe worked and maybe not so much. So I'll give you this one.... maybe wink

Thanks for taking the time to give advices & feedback cool

#472070 - 05/09/18 10:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: jannesan]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jannesan
I can still remember 1.5 months ago when I was longing the same thing here in Finland. Now it's great spring here, I really hope it will arrive there too very soon smile

Janne
Thanks for that sentiment, and I'm happy to say it's now turned to proper rain over here...so we're getting there, day by day smile

#472175 - 05/09/18 06:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: rsdean]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Eddie,

Great - a very rich and melodic sound. Pro mix.

Bob
Much obliged, and after just a quick peek at your channel, you've made a 'follower' out of me already smile

#472234 - 05/10/18 06:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work here smile You definitely captured wintery vibe. It has a very chilled out atmosphere to it. Very easy on the ears, and very delicate and pristine sounding.

Thanks for sharing!

#472260 - 05/10/18 10:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work here smile You definitely captured wintery vibe.
===
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks likewise for listening, let alone commenting...Nice little pun in there, btw, loved it wink

#472419 - 05/11/18 10:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Wonderful tune!! I could listen to this for an hour! Take care. Greg

#472427 - 05/11/18 11:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Greg Johnson]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Wonderful tune!! I could listen to this for an hour! Take care. Greg
Wow, for an hour?! crazy

Man, I don't know if to thank you or pity you, hah laugh

#472451 - 05/11/18 03:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Hey Icelander, definitely my kind of tune as you probably know if you have listened to my stuff. I loved it, period. On a side note; don't you love it when your tune gets stripped right and left and then "it's all good though ". Just saying.

Mike B.

#472456 - 05/11/18 04:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: cubanpete]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
On a side note; don't you love it when your tune gets stripped right and left and then "it's all good though ". Just saying.
hehehe, I know exactly what you're talking about there grin

But actually I don't mind these inputs at all. It often takes other people's eyes & ears to spot the many path choices one could've taken and plain missed. Ok, so it can also sometimes turn into little more than an ill-disguised "I know better than you do", but that sort of thing I find easy to brush off. The pro of other people's insight outweighs the con... most of the time wink

Here it just gave me a chance for a followup post to share my thoughts on why I made the choices I did, without making my initial post too long (or come across as unwanted information overload).

So I guess in this case it really is "all good" cool

p.s. glad you simply liked the song, btw

#472463 - 05/11/18 05:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Icelander
Thanks for the constructive observations, Mr. Ray, Let me just give my take on these:
Absolutely not, for that would completely overpower the intended 'tranquil' sentiment! Besides, I'm a huge believer in the 'less is more' principle, which I certainly feel is warranted here.
Also, in a live setting, these two instruments, trombone and vibes, wouldn't both be at the centre, that's just practically implausible, and I tried to reflect that... but maybe I overdid it, it's a mileage-may-vary case for sure.
I suspect speakers & ears on each end are a vital factor here, but fair enuff. I was aiming to contrast the booming low end of the bass (and guitar to some extent) and may have overdone it. Also, I used some EZ Mix, a set of plugs/effects that I only recently bought and am still finding my ways with, on this project to give the lead a slight 'ethereal' sound, which maybe worked and maybe not so much. So I'll give you this one.... maybe wink
Thanks for taking the time to give advices & feedback cool

I'm just making suggestions based on what I heard.
That is the point of sharing isn't it?
Each listener will filter a song according to their own notions and either ignore their thoughts and congratulate you or congratulate you and make suggestions according to those filters & notions.
The downside of this Showcase forum is that it is, essentially, for "finished" songs. there's no intermediate forum for tracks "in progress". I'm keen for suggestions for my work.
One universal suggestion though:
As is often recommended - listen to your mix in mono - if the levels and tones are spot on then it's time to pan instruments into a stereo field.
I'd add:
In your case, given your desire to replicate the live situation & era, why not mix to mono like an old 78? Plenty of plugs out there to add crackle & pop too.

Edited by rayc (05/11/18 05:13 PM)
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

#472468 - 05/11/18 05:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: rayc]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rayc
I'm just making suggestions based on what I heard.
That is the point of sharing isn't it?
Uhm..is it!? I can't quite tell if you're actually asking me or just telling me. After all, they say 90% of all questions are actually statements wink
===
Originally Posted By: rayc
I'm keen for suggestions for my work.
Glad to hear it. How that pertains to me and my work, however, I do not know - and no, I'm not asking.

p.s. I will however give you credit for mending your post from how I read it in my email just now. A very wise move.

#472511 - 05/12/18 05:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

I think I'll just accept that we, generally, disagree.
Let your music, or perhaps the P.S. in your original post, speak for you.
I don't need your credit just as you don't need the suggestions I had made in, and then excised from, my reply.
I'll keep my distance.
Hafa gott líf.

#472613 - 05/12/18 07:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This is a very pretty tune. Forgot how nice the xylophone sounds. Thanks for sharing...

#472620 - 05/12/18 08:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Scott C]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Thanks for sharing...
Thanks likewise for listening smile

#472741 - 05/13/18 11:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: "When Winter Leaves..." - Soothing, slow 'Big Band' ballad [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Nice and mellow, a pleasant listen.

Is this your response to "Autumn Leaves"? Will be get the full Four Season suite? Maybe "Vivaldi Leaves" or something... wink

It could be my speakers, but it sounds like there's some sort of compression artifact going on between the brush and the snare. It's probably something SoundCloud is doing, I doubt it's something in the original mix.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
28407 Members
58 Forums
55140 Topics
459206 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
SJN, markgeven, ecnal, Jurassic, Derek Deatherage

28407 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 330
Pipeline 307