You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#473261 - 05/17/18 01:31 PM [User Showcase] NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts"
Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Here's another co-write with my guitar student Kathy.

I had been messing around with the progression and played it for her. We then discussed some ideas for lyrics and within a day she e-mailed me a lyric sheet, I made some changes to some of the lyrics and then spent a day or so working on the melody... That was a month ago today.

I am enjoying the collaboration process as I haven't done that for quite some time and her & I seem to work well together. (She's a lyric writing machine!) grin

All RT's are listed below. All lead guitar parts are either my Tele (Trigger) or my Strat (Tichiwa), My Martin (Dean) has a strumming track too. I'm doing all the vocals as well.

As always all comments welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/user-813802595/second-thoughts

RD NashBrushBalDbkEv16^1
RT 1825 Bass
RT 368 Guitar Acoustic Strumming
RT 1595 Guitar Acoustic Fingerpicking
RT 1035 Banjo
RT 1602 Piano
RT 1805 Synth Pad

©2018 Greg Achord & Kathy Clifford

Second Thoughts

Never felt like looking back before
Always knew it was you I do adore

Failed to cry when it broke my heart
That doesn't mean it's not tearing me apart

A second guess it can cause a near miss
All I think about is our first kiss

(Chorus)
You can’t fake this…I’ve already tried
Like goosebumps on the arm…Impossible to hide
You can’t fake this…I’ve already tried
Like a breeze on a summer day…Impossible to ride

I thought of kneeling down and saying a prayer
Hoping deep inside that you still care

A moment passed never thought of again
Is It too late have we lost what might have been

I keep lookin' back cause I think there's a chance
Could there still be fire in this romance

(Chorus)

Ending
La la la…la la la la la….la la la….la la la la la

#473263 - 05/17/18 01:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This is a really great song. I especially enjoyed the lyrics, "I thought of kneeling down and saying a prayer. Hoping deep inside that you still care." Very strong. Thanks for sharing.

#473305 - 05/17/18 08:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Deej56 Offline
Journeyman

Achordocaster,

Great opening, and nice work on the vocals. Love the second verse; great lines. And equally, nice lines in that chorus. Really well done collaboration. Enjoyed my listen a ton!

Best regards,

Deej

#473575 - 05/19/18 12:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool song Greg. Guitar was excellent. Loved the lyrics and excellent delivery. Super co-write.

#473590 - 05/19/18 03:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Thanks for sharing this with us Achordocaster! I really enjoyed the progression. The banjo is a great touch and overall very pleasant to listen to. Well done!

#473661 - 05/20/18 06:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
One of the things I liked about your song was how on the third line of your chorus you varied the melody instead of simply repeating is as most songs do. Really good guitar work, and I liked the banjo in the background.

I’m not a big fan of the la-la-la type of lyric substitution.. for my taste, I would add a different instrumental sound instead of the vocal there, but you had some nice harmonies to take advantage of that approach. Also, I would have taken it out with a fade..maybe you didn’t intend to leave that little ending segment in there..

Thanks for sharing!

#473667 - 05/20/18 08:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Nice write, arrangement and vocal/guitar performances....

We enjoyed the listen!

J&B

PS Cool guitar names smile

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#473740 - 05/20/18 10:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This is a really great song. I especially enjoyed the lyrics, "I thought of kneeling down and saying a prayer. Hoping deep inside that you still care." Very strong. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Ember that's very nice. I appreciate the listen

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Achordocaster,

Great opening, and nice work on the vocals. Love the second verse; great lines. And equally, nice lines in that chorus. Really well done collaboration. Enjoyed my listen a ton!

Best regards,

Deej

Hey Deej, Thanks for the kind words & the listen.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool song Greg. Guitar was excellent. Loved the lyrics and excellent delivery. Super co-write.

Thanks Scott, appreciate it. On behalf of Kathy too.

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Thanks for sharing this with us Achordocaster! I really enjoyed the progression. The banjo is a great touch and overall very pleasant to listen to. Well done!

Your welcome Joe, and thanks for the listen. I'm quite fond of using a little banjo in the background. grin

#473748 - 05/20/18 11:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
It's a very cool collaboration.
Nice BIAB arrangement and well played addition stuff.
The only nit I would pick is that the very 1st syllable is weak in comparison to the rest of the line - that'd only take a 10 tweak to fix then you have a dead set classic 70s singer songwriter piece.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#473891 - 05/22/18 10:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Great production on this. Very pro sound.
SD

#474137 - 05/23/18 11:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very cool!! Really taps into the era of music that I love. Nice write, great vocal, and top production/mix. Everything works!! Take care. Greg

#474647 - 05/26/18 02:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Greg & Kathy,

A really nice song. Sounds like an old favorite...

Excellent arrangement and mix. Nice vocals and harmony.

Nice.

fj

#474695 - 05/26/18 05:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I really enjoyed this one. I liked the mix, chord progression, instrumentation, lyric and your vocal.

This sounded like something that I would have in my oldies collection.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#474719 - 05/26/18 06:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina

My thoughts exactly. Oddly, these exact lyrics were playing out as the song was playing on SoundCloud and I was commenting.

You are still one of my favorite vocalists here on the forum and I'm really getting into your melodies.

Enjoyed listening.

#474974 - 05/28/18 11:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Greg & Kathy,

Excellent song! Love the strong vocals and overall mix.

Really well done.

Bob

#475049 - 05/28/18 04:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
I enjoyed the listen. The song has a strong Gordon Lightfoot vibe, both in your vocal delivery, the chord changes, and the guitars. That's a good thing.

Since you said all comments are welcome, I'll stupidly broach the usually taboo criticism of lyrics, and note that the first verse plays the pronoun game:

Failed to cry when it broke my heart
That doesn't mean it's not tearing me apart

In my 100% non-expert songwriting opinion, using nouns would give stronger lyrics:

Failed to cry when you broke my heart
That doesn't mean love's not tearing me apart

Of course, I've got zero number one hits, so what do I know? laugh

Anyway, nice song - thanks for posting!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#475157 - 05/29/18 08:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Tano Music]
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
One of the things I liked about your song was how on the third line of your chorus you varied the melody instead of simply repeating is as most songs do. Really good guitar work, and I liked the banjo in the background.

I’m not a big fan of the la-la-la type of lyric substitution.. for my taste, I would add a different instrumental sound instead of the vocal there, but you had some nice harmonies to take advantage of that approach. Also, I would have taken it out with a fade..maybe you didn’t intend to leave that little ending segment in there..

Thanks for sharing!

Hey Tano, Thanks for the comments. I'm generally not a big la-la fan either, but my co-writer liked it... so it stayed. You are correct that I didn't mean to leave the ending segment, should have been a complete fade.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Nice write, arrangement and vocal/guitar performances....

We enjoyed the listen!

J&B

PS Cool guitar names smile

Thank you J&B. I appreciate the listen. I also have an archtop named... of course, Archie.

Originally Posted By: rayc
It's a very cool collaboration.
Nice BIAB arrangement and well played addition stuff.
The only nit I would pick is that the very 1st syllable is weak in comparison to the rest of the line - that'd only take a 10 tweak to fix then you have a dead set classic 70s singer songwriter piece.

Ray, Thanks for the listen & comments. Didn't really notice that weak syllable till you pointed it out.

Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Great production on this. Very pro sound.
SD

Thank you very much SD.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool!! Really taps into the era of music that I love. Nice write, great vocal, and top production/mix. Everything works!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. It's my era too.

#475201 - 05/29/18 01:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi Achordocaste love this lightfoot old humble pie sixties seventies feel however modern great work greg,cathy thanks for sharing eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#475233 - 05/29/18 05:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Good song and well mixed. Sounds early seventies and that's a good thing to me.
Credit both of you.Rob.

#476116 - 06/04/18 10:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW Original Song "Second Thoughts" [Re: floyd jane]
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg & Kathy,

A really nice song. Sounds like an old favorite...

Excellent arrangement and mix. Nice vocals and harmony.

Nice.

fj

Hey Floyd, thank you so much!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I really enjoyed this one. I liked the mix, chord progression, instrumentation, lyric and your vocal.

This sounded like something that I would have in my oldies collection.

Thanks Mario. I'm becoming my own oldies collection. wink

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

My thoughts exactly. Oddly, these exact lyrics were playing out as the song was playing on SoundCloud and I was commenting.

You are still one of my favorite vocalists here on the forum and I'm really getting into your melodies.

Enjoyed listening.

Hey Charlie, Thanks for the very nice comments. I appreciate it!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Greg & Kathy,

Excellent song! Love the strong vocals and overall mix.

Really well done.

Bob

Thank you so much Bob... On behalf of Kathy as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 314 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users!!! A new free patch update is available, and can be downloaded here!

Summary of Changes for build 314:
Fixed: Video RealTracks would fail to render if using macOS Catalina.
Fixed: Command+Return should be the hot-key for Options | MIDI Patch Maps, etc. | Insert current MIDI chord.
Fixed: Window | Audio Chord Wizard menu item should say "Audio Chord Wizard (Legacy Standalone)", and should not be available for macOS Catalina 10.15 or higher.
Improved: Auditioning styles, RealTracks, and RealDrums will start demo playback faster for online demos.
Improved: Help video button added to the Audio Chord Wizard toolbar in the Audio Edit window.
Fixed: In the Audio Chord Wizard toolbar, the "Auto Marking" and "Auto Analysis" checkboxes did not update after undoing.
Fixed: Clicking the [Analyze] button in the Audio Chord Wizard toolbar should warn the user if no bar lines are set.
Fixed: Launching he Audio Chord Wizard causes button hints to not show in the Audio Edit window, and it is not possible to return to the chord sheet.
Fixed: When using the Audio Chord Wizard, sometimes the hour-glass mouse cursor does not go away after analyzing chords.
Fixed: Double-clicking on a song file in the Finder to open it while Band-in-a-Box is running might cause a "Save before closing?" dialog to get stuck behind the main window.

Holiday Hours - Monday, November 11th

Remembrance Day is Monday, November 11th. In recognition of this day, our hours will be:

Monday, November 11: Technical Support closed. Sales & Customer Service will be open from 8am - 4pm PST.

Our regular hours resume Tuesday, November 12. Review our hours and additional contact information at www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Happy National Saxophone Day!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have 35 different RealTracks Sets available for Band-in-a-Box® that include Saxophone RealTracks !

RealTracks Set 304: Blues Shuffle Horn Section
RealTracks Set 294: Big Band "Crooner Shout" Soloist!
RealTracks Set 266: Jazz & Funk Potpourri
RealTracks Set 265: Crooner Ballad Big Band!
RealTracks Set 264: Crooner Bossa Big Band!
RealTracks Set 244: Jazz Background Horns with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 236: Cocktail Jazz Horns!
RealTracks Set 220: Flute and Saxes with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 217: Jazz Pollwinners 8 – Jazz Waltz Sax Solos
RealTracks Set 216: Jazz Pollwinners 7 – Swingin' Sax & Guitar Soloing
RealTracks Set 215: Jazz Pollwinners 6 – Sax & Guitar Soloing, Ballads & Bossas
RealTracks Set 209: Rockin' Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 207: Funky Horns
RealTracks Set 194: Jazz Pollwinners 1: Great Saxes: Phil Woods & Gary
RealTracks Set 189: Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 188: Slow Background Pop Horn Section
RealTracks Set 183: Country Soloists: Sax and More!
RealTracks Set 176: R&B Horns
RealTracks Set 175: Texas Blues-Rock: Smokin' Blues Sax
RealTracks Set 160: Jazz-Funk Movin'
RealTracks Set 145: Jazz-Funk Breezy
RealTracks Set 127: Groovin' Jazz Funk
RealTracks Set 91: Smooth Jazz - Sax Soloing
RealTracks Set 58: Jazz and Pop Waltzes
RealTracks Set 57: Jazz Swing, Laid Back
RealTracks Set 55: Fast Bebop Jazz
RealTracks Set 54: Slow Jazz Ballad
RealTracks Set 52: Fast Samba
RealTracks Set 51: Slow Bossas and More
RealTracks Set 32: Blues
RealTracks Set 19: Jazz Ballad
RealTracks Set 17: Bossa
RealTracks Set 15: Mainstream Swing
RealTracks Set 13: Older Jazz Swing Soloists
RealTracks Set 7: Acoustic Jazz Bass and Rock Sax

Which one is your favorite?

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Special Ends October 31st

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special ENDS TODAY!!!
Order before 11:59PM PDT to save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade... and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

It's a GREAT time to order your upgrade to Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac, which is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Bonus PAKs Are Almost Gone!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac during our special (which ends October 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

HURRY! OUR SPECIAL ENDS OCTOBER 31st!

Forum Stats
30381 Members
62 Forums
60572 Topics
512137 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM