You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#480239 - 07/02/18 05:04 AM [User Showcase] LIVING A LIE
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Not had nearly as much time here as I'd like recently, and this is my first song for over three months.
The 1990s was a strange decade for music, but that's about as close as I can get for this one.
This is a song about one of those situations where everyone except the person involved can see clearly.

It was all tracked-up in Powertracks and then moved to Realband for the Sax RT. There's extensive use
of my old hardware Syntovox vocoder on the vocals. It's a temperamental piece of kit and I'm always
surprised and relieved when it boots up and works. One of these days it won't and then I'm lost.

LIVING A LIE
Living a lie it's what you do
Living a lie it's changing you
Living a lie it's not the same
Make believe is not the way
So living a lie it's got to go
Living a lie you've got to know
Living a lie just take the blame
'Cos make believe is changing everything

It's time to shape up
It's time to wake up
And face the day
No time to make up
But time to break up
And walk away

As usual, I'm grateful to anyone who has the time to give it a listen.

Cheers, ROG.

#480245 - 07/02/18 06:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
ROG,

This is excellent.

One of the things I like about your songs is that you "make music" and not "just writing a song". There's a difference and we do not get enough of the "making music" around here...

A nice cohesive sound to this in all regards. Everything works together nicely. Great opening. Nice vocals. Nice playing throughout.

A good write. A lyin' song! smile

The sax solo is exceptional. Well put together - sounds like it was played for the track. One small nit - the final note should have drawn out and faded away...

A terrific listen. Very well done.

fj

#480252 - 07/02/18 09:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Very nice melodic song, good lush arrangement and mix. Vocals and harmony sound excellent. There is Alan Parson feeling in chording and vocals so for me this is closer to early 80's.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#480255 - 07/02/18 09:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This song reminded me of something but I couldn't quite place it. Also yes, the 1990s was a strange time for music. grin And you managed to capture that here in the best way possible!

#480285 - 07/02/18 12:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Super song, ROG! You have a full production with everything exactly where and how it should be. The mix is spot on. I like the vocal buried a little bit in the mix with the fx applications you used. Great sax solo! Loved it - nothing but talent and more talent showing through on this. Kudos!

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#480300 - 07/02/18 03:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Yeah this is really great ROG.

You have captured the sound of that era perfectly.

I really enjoyed this.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#480302 - 07/02/18 03:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
ROG.. really enjoyed my listen!… I especially liked how you kept this song simple – avoiding endless verses, but used your “song economy” to repeat the main idea… I think it was very effective… The production was very professional, overall very high-quality… I really liked the vocal Doubling and the back up vocals.. Thanks for sharing!

#480306 - 07/02/18 03:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
I think floyd jane nailed it - this is the sort of thing I'd want to listen to multiple times, because it's good, catchy music, instead of just appreciating that it's technically a well-done song. (I'm thinking of my own stuff in contrast. sick )

Plus, you've got me watching videos on vocoders. (I actually coded a non-realtime vocoder last month).

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#480360 - 07/03/18 07:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - I really enjoyed this! Definitely reminiscent of the early 90's - I really liked the use of those synths here, and the sax fit in perfectly too. It has a wonderfully quirky groove, and the harmonies on the chorus are smooth as butter.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

#480369 - 07/03/18 08:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
It's been too long ROG! We need more ROG more often.

I had every thing cranked up and ready before we dropped the needle on this.

Wow!

This is one for which there is NO need to parse out for commenting...it is ALL over the top good.

We like what floyd said "you make music" -- we get that.

Ultimately it begs to be played again. For us that says it all.

Kudos!

J&B

#480401 - 07/03/18 12:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
ROG,

This is SUPER!
Probably the most professional track we've heard in a long time here on the forum.
Yeah definitely Alan Parsons vibe.

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#480409 - 07/03/18 02:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
ROG,

This is first class!!! You ALWAYS deliver the goods. It never ceases to amaze me just how easy you make it seem when you put tracks of your own performing together and produce such an excellent 'band' sound. The shine of your talent never seems to fade.

All the best,
Noel

#480605 - 07/05/18 03:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

This is excellent.

One of the things I like about your songs is that you "make music" and not "just writing a song". There's a difference and we do not get enough of the "making music" around here...

A nice cohesive sound to this in all regards. Everything works together nicely. Great opening. Nice vocals. Nice playing throughout.

A good write. A lyin' song! smile

The sax solo is exceptional. Well put together - sounds like it was played for the track. One small nit - the final note should have drawn out and faded away...

A terrific listen. Very well done.

fj

Hi Floyd,

Many thanks for the review. I take your point about that saxophone note - it would have been nice, but I had problems getting him to play it so it sounded right.
The RTs are are fabulous, but sometimes I miss just being able to say:
"Just give me a sustained note on a ...."
Cheers, ROG.

#480606 - 07/05/18 03:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: jannesan]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice melodic song, good lush arrangement and mix. Vocals and harmony sound excellent. There is Alan Parson feeling in chording and vocals so for me this is closer to early 80's.

Janne

Hi Janne,
Thanks for the nice comments. I've been a fan of Alan Parsons for a long time and I'm flattered
by the comparison. I was aiming for the 90s, but you could be right!
Cheers, ROG.

#480607 - 07/05/18 03:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: Ember - PG Music]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song reminded me of something but I couldn't quite place it. Also yes, the 1990s was a strange time for music. grin And you managed to capture that here in the best way possible!

Hi Ember,
Many thanks for looking in. I'm always pleased to get a review from "the staff" and glad you liked it.
Cheers, ROG.

#480611 - 07/05/18 04:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
ROG,

This is tremendous! I love the arrangement and mix - some very cool vocals as well.

Excellent!

Bob

#480664 - 07/05/18 02:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Great vibe ROG!!! Love that fat synth sound, and vocals sound great! I think I like this better than almost anything I heard in the 90's!! Love that snare sound, and sax solo worked great. Cool stuff!! Take care. Greg

#480680 - 07/05/18 03:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
I've always been a sucker for hook that is both sung and played on an instrument. This has so many reminders of great influences for me. Great job all the way around.
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#480701 - 07/05/18 05:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
This is really a commercially sounding tune and the era is spot on. I can hear your work ethic in this. Nicely done .Rob

#480733 - 07/06/18 02:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: LIVING A LIE [Re: ROG]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Man! This is fabulous, Rog! Love the song and the performance. Great hook, very catchy!

Everything about this sounds totally pro, enjoyed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Bar Settings

In Band-in-a-Box®, F5 or Edit | Settings for Current Bar will open up a new window allowing you to adjust the number of beats per bar, apply tempo changes and patch changes, or apply a different Style, and even choose harmony changes to your Band-in-a-Box® song!

Watch the video that explains this feature.

Read more about Bar Settings: Windows | Mac

A Look Back - Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac

In May 2009, we released Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac to the world, unleashing automatic REAL accompaniment to the MacIntel community!

This highly anticipated release brought with it RealTracks, RealDrums, the Audio Chord Wizard, Audio Rendering, MultiStyles, an updated GUI, and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2009 Introduction Video for a blast-from-the-past! Watch video...
(This is an easy-to-follow explanation of RealTracks & RealDrums that even a seasoned user will enjoy!)

We had also made a video highlighting the advanced features released with Version 2009: Watch now

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker can show information for up to 60,000 song files and can be customized to point to any folder on your computer, allowing easy access to your own song files or Band-in-a-Box® demo files!

Once you've chosen your folder and rebuilt your list, you are able to filter the list, adjust the width of the columns, see the chord sheet within the SongPicker Window, and more! The filter feature is incredibly specific too - you can even filter by Songs with Custom Chord Progression!

Read more about the SongPicker: Windows | Mac.

We created a video explaining the SongPicker using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - check it out!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® Transpose From .. To .. Tutorial

Make sure you check out our latest video if you want to see how to transpose a portion of your song! Click here to watch...

Learn even more about transposing within Band-in-a-Box with our online manual: Windows | Mac.

The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Forum Stats
33075 Members
68 Forums
66631 Topics
566910 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
JohnBunyan, GabrielForsman, duykhuong20, jeffatbkk, chiefegod