Veteran

Loc: Florida
A 4-minute Country-EDM-Spaghetti-Western

The BAND (and what-not)

RealTracks in style: 1536:Bass, Electric, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 2702:Bass, Synth, CloudRapSub Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 2741:Bass, Synth, AltHipHopA-B Ev16 085
RealTracks in style: 1543:Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 2446:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Background SpaghettiWestern Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 2714:Guitar, Nylon, Background SlowSwingBrent Sw 065
RealTracks in song: 3027:Vocal Oohs, Background Pop3-part Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes

A couple of Loops (Studio One) - shakers, guitar
I created drums beats and bass and organ patterns (MIDI)

LIVE BY THE GUN

you don't turn away from a stranger's stare
you don't turn the corner without saying a prayer

he had no choice but to saddle up
for the sake of his young wife and son
it broke his heart to be runnning
but the town had learned the story of his gun
a peaceful sunday, just out of church
they heard his name called from the street
the whisper of leather, the thunder of guns
and one more man lay dying at his feet

when you live by the gun
   they don't leave you room to run
   a legend has a life of its own
   so you face all that come
   when you live by the gun

for years he drifted from town to town
to find one where no one knew his name
but he could never hide from the bitter regret
of the price of unwanted fame
passing a church, lost in reflection
a voice challenges, "i've heard you're the best"
could that be the face of his own son
through the smoke as the bullet hits his chest

when you live by the gun
   they don't leave you room to run
   a legend has a life of its own
   so you face all that come
   when you live by the gun

you don't turn away from a stranger's stare
you don't turn the corner without saying a prayer
now, he'll face all that come
he lives by the gun

Listen in phones to catch everything...
Hope you find this interesting.
Comments welcome.
Have at it.

floyd

#481935 - 07/15/18 12:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
floyd,

This is exceptional.

I was enthralled as I listened... so much quality everywhere! The effects, the harmony, the words, the melody, your performance, the arrangement, the production....

All the ear candy that you've incorporated into this production makes for a fantastic ride. As I'm typing this, I'm sitting here thinking, "Is this floyd's best? His songs are always brilliant but this one really grabs me. Is it his best? I really don't know. Right at this moment, it is, for sure."

This reminded me of "The Gambler" in that the lyrics presented a very engaging narrative with a powerful message threaded through the them.

A wonderful listen in every way possible.

Regards,
Noel

#481936 - 07/15/18 01:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Noel said it much better than I could. Floyd you always sound professional but this one is really exceptional. Your vocals (loved those soft delays!), lyrics and one hell of a backing track.

This is one of your best if not your best to date.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#481950 - 07/15/18 01:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Traveling. Now in New Zealand.
EMG Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Traveling. Now in New Zealand.
Wonderful song. Really enjoyed this.

#481960 - 07/15/18 02:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Floyd,

Love the drama in the music. There's perfect prosody between music and lyric. I'm enjoying some these "outta the box" tunes you've posted lately - really, really good stuff. This one has a ton a of dynamic tension throughout - it's near impossible to not listen all the way through.

I'm not sure what the level above "excellent: is called, but this certainly earned its way there. Really really super.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#481964 - 07/15/18 03:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Floyd,

This is just SO GOOD! Great song and a tremendous vocal...

Love the band, mix and the handclaps are very cool. Everything about this mix is so nuanced - sounds like a record to me!

Loved it!!!

Bob

#481965 - 07/15/18 03:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd

Looking forward to the movie this is the theme song to!
Some amazing touches and attention to detail, along with a terrific composition.
Fantastic a real treat.

Peter

#481968 - 07/15/18 03:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Floyd,

Professional as ever, this fabulous song paints pictures as I listen.

Entertaining and thought provoking at the same time.

Lots of messages here, all wrapped up in an excellent package.

Faultless mix.

ROG.

#481970 - 07/15/18 03:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

A very dramatic song with wonderful production details- particularly the EDM touches.
Loved everything about this!

Robert

#481976 - 07/15/18 04:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Grabbed my attention from the first word till the last. What a masterful production. Plenty of emotion going on here. Great mix and performance. Thanks for listing Floyd. Rob.

#481994 - 07/15/18 07:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This an incredible tune Floyd. I think this has to be my favorite vocal of yours.

The guitar in the background was very cool. Cool tone. I was listening on the headphones and was trying to isolate the different things you had going on. Your mix blows me away. What was really cool was the kick drum. Very neat how you did that.

Super song Floyd...

#482017 - 07/16/18 03:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
WOW!! Definitely one of your best, my new favorite hands down.

Excellent song, superb vocal, but man, the production and mix!! Possibly the best I have heard here on the forum, so many things going on and such attention to detail.
You have set the bar very high indeed and give the rest of us mortals something to strive toward smile

Just top notch in every way, thoroughly enjoyed.

#482022 - 07/16/18 04:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

real nice song with great vocals, you do the cowboy style effortlessly.

As was said in previous post, I could see this being the track played when the credits roll by at the end of an old western.
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 ,Byerdynamic 770 pro, akg k270,akg k701.
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

#482028 - 07/16/18 05:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
Country-EDM-Spaghetti-Western...my favorite genre.

I was trying to figure out if it was notes 1 and 2 that grabbed me; or if you already had me on the first note. I think maybe right at the first note. Either way, you really had me. You VERY effectively set the tone of the song immediately.

What a cool song. Man, I know I say this; but I'm big on atmosphere. Every single element is there to create it. From the lyric, to the performance, to all of the various things you did to support it. So interesting.

I am a big fan of ear candy. I had no idea you opened an ear candy shop.

Edited by HearToLearn (07/16/18 05:17 AM)
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#482033 - 07/16/18 06:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What a tune! It is so powerful, and has an epic feeling to it. I'm a sucker for the spaghetti western sort of style, and this nailed it while also providing a modern twist to it. Those harmonies on the chorus as so gigantic and luscious - it drew me in instantly.

You really did a great job here - thanks so much for sharing smile

#482036 - 07/16/18 06:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Loc: Alabama
cliftond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alabama
Yeah, I am a big Western fan, love this, those delays are awesome!!! Great song Floyd

#482084 - 07/16/18 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: Noel96]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

This is exceptional.

I was enthralled as I listened... so much quality everywhere! The effects, the harmony, the words, the melody, your performance, the arrangement, the production....

All the ear candy that you've incorporated into this production makes for a fantastic ride. As I'm typing this, I'm sitting here thinking, "Is this floyd's best? His songs are always brilliant but this one really grabs me. Is it his best? I really don't know. Right at this moment, it is, for sure."

This reminded me of "The Gambler" in that the lyrics presented a very engaging narrative with a powerful message threaded through the them.

A wonderful listen in every way possible.

Regards,
Noel

Noel - Thanks for such a nice write up! I did have a lot of fun putting this together - trying a few new production techniques to keep things moving forward...

#482087 - 07/16/18 01:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Hey Floyd,

I really loved the atmospheric feel you conjured up in this, and the loops were a nice addition.

It did seems like a mini movie, very visual--a song movie with a built in soundtrack. Cool stuff.

The lyrics are among your very best. Very cinematic. Great job man.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#482093 - 07/16/18 01:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Floyd !:))

One of your ultimate best
without question ! Could
go into a Western film anytime !
Those lyrics of yours were
also marvelous, one almost got
the feelin´you´d really been
there (as a guy livin´by the gun
with all the anxiety it surely
must mean) !

Cheers
Dani

#482132 - 07/16/18 09:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Live By The Gun [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Wow.

To be honest, I saw the lyrics, and thought "A corny Western song?" And then I hit the play button and it sucked me right in. laugh

One of the biggest problems that I have in songwriting is thinking that I've got to say something new.

This shows that the real trick is to tell it well. And this song does it in spades.

Great storytelling, cool stereo effects that really add to the atmosphere, super effective return to the opening line. Evocative descriptions, emotional.

Wow.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Video - How to Transpose a Region of a Band-in-a-Box® Song

Want to learn how to transpose just one chorus of your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Check out our latest video, shared to the I want a video that shows me how to... forum: https://youtu.be/XiMrgtQ7u14

Band-in-a-Box® - What People Are Saying...

Wow, check out the latest feedback from Band-in-a-Box® users!

"I have one song I've been torturing over to get the sound right for quite some time and I merely keyed in the chords and what BB generated is awesome. Just what I hoped that song would sound like. What had taken me months to get right (and couldn't), the program could do in about an hour - AMAZING!"

"Great Ear Training Exercises! And I love that that you can set the tempo to whatever you choose. It's great for learning a tune!"

"A very good and easy to use musical program!"

"It's amazingly easy to use! Write a song? No problem! Add background sound track to a video? No problem! Put notes on a staff and have BB make up a chord progression and tell what key you are in? No problem! Start with a chord progression and have BB make a melody line? No problem!"

"Still the best practice tool I have found, great for running lines, improvising over and really helpful for working on song writing ideas as well! Good for beginners, and the more musical skill and knowledge you have the more you will get out of the software."

"I create demo songs with Band-in-a-Box, it helps me to get my ideas across to my engineer!"

"Been using Band-in-a-Box for years. Outstanding product from a great company!"

"It's like buying a Musical History Jukebox. It comes with probably 3000 styles and is like hiring session musicians to play rhythm with you, they even have soloists! It introduces you to so many types of rhythms that you other wise would know nothing about. "

"Paul McCartney said you gotta have a great band behind you. Well, Band-in-a-Box is my band."

"It's as easy as typing in the chords, choosing your style, instruments, etc., and off you go! Learning the tune? You can slow it down while you work on it then speed it up. My favorite analogy is a good chess program, which will play at your speed and level and is eternally patient!"

"I love my Band in a box, it does so much! Besides all the RealTracks and song ideas, it's a great tool to stay sharp with your licks. Social distancing got you down? Can't jam with friends? Pick out any song and go to the mixer button, there you can mute any instrument that's playing so you can jump right in and play along!"

"I love it. I'm a drummer, and Band-in-a-Box really keeps me on my toes!"

"The DAW plugin is really great. Trust me on this. I use it with Studio One.

"This is how I've been able to gig solo for the past 20 years. Band-in-a-Box is the great equalizer for us none rhythm players."

"Wouldn't want to be without it! One of the best things I bought in my life. Simple as that."

"As a songwriter I really love to work with Band-in-a-Box. The only limitation is your own creativity."

"I've used Band-in-a-Box for 25 years and thanks to this program and the advice of PG Music staff I've written over 100 songs. It's great software and amazing help to me as a musician. CONGRATS!!!"

Thank you for all the amazing feedback!

Band-in-a-Box® - A Teaching Tool!

Did you know that we offer Band-in-a-Box® LabPAK and Site License purchase options for schools? This is an ideal option for any educational institution looking to add Band-in-a-Box® to their curriculum.

Learn more about the LabPAK purchase options here: Windows | Mac.

How would a teacher use Band-in-a-Box® in a school setting?

A few ideas:
-practice sight reading with the students by following the on-screen notation
-display the Guitar Fretboard or Big Piano Window to watch the notes being played
-Trading fours! (etc.)
-generate a song for accompaniment during practice sessions
-create a practice song and save it as an audio file to send home with the student for additional practice!

...and more!

Wondering how to add a Band-in-a-Box LabPAK to your school? Feel free to contact us directly with any questions you might have! Click here to send us an email.

Forum Stats
33035 Members
68 Forums
66539 Topics
565817 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
scarl3tt02, Ella, Jan Dirk B, Willieboy, apollo_synth

33034 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
CaptainMoto 168
Al-David 139