You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#488473 - 08/29/18 08:36 PM [User Showcase] Pacific Country Drive
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Pacific Country Drive

Style is _DRIVE.STY (Driving Country Rock)

RealTracks in style: 1417:Bass, Electric, RootsRock Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 2763:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBluesRockMike Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 2635:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBluesRockHigh Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 2634:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBluesRock Ev 110
RealTracks in song: ~685:Harmonica, Background Pop Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I wasn't going to post this link, but I decided to after answering the thread about composer's block.

This started life as a quickie to delve a little deeper into Real Band after song creation and to use the major key 1-6-2-5 popular progression. But the riffs started to suggest a melody to me and that made me place chord changes in places I had not intended. That led to the other, and all those led to this.

Mixed in Real Band with PGMusic FX (primarily compression and a little EQ). Feel free to criticize my mixing skills. But if you go overboard, you can buy me new headphones to heal the hurt.

Mastered in 3rd party software with a bit of overall reverb applied.

I kinda have a melody in mind for this, but should anybody want to take it on (like nobody has enough to do) I think the progression lends itself to multiple interpretations/iterations of melodic input. In other words, you want to jam something on it, let me know.
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#488505 - 08/30/18 12:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hello!

You have a real nice groove going here. I really enjoyed your musical bed. I think you are correct that it lends to a variety of interpretations. I would give it a go, but my wife just got out of the hospital and probably headed back. I might take a go at it when things calm down. But, keep in mind - most recording studios pay me money to keep a safe distance from a microphone!

Nice arrangement and choice of band members. I liked it a lot!

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#488508 - 08/30/18 12:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Thanks, Alan. What a great way to make a living! Nobody would ever pay to hear me sing, but I hadn't thought about getting paid for not singing.

I hope all goes well with the missus.
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#488533 - 08/30/18 06:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Tangmo,

An excellent groove piece. Very well mixed. Drums sound great. The bass is pumpin'... guitars are nicely placed, harmonica is light and tasty. Well done.

Definitely is begging for a lyric and vocal...

fj

#488543 - 08/30/18 07:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Tangmo,

This is a great set of tracks - love the jam feel. Very nice mix as well.

Bob

#488544 - 08/30/18 07:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work on this one! The groove is fantastic, and there's some great progressions here. A really nice road-trip-with-the-windows-down type of tune. It sounds super smooth, and well mixed too. Very crisp and professional sounding.

Great job, and thanks for sharing smile

#488545 - 08/30/18 07:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Sounds good to me! Great groove and nice changes. Didn't take you long to get the hang of realtracks smile

Mix is good, everything sounds great except to my ears the bass is a bit "boomy". Although no one else mentioned that so maybe my ears aren't working that good this morning :P

#488551 - 08/30/18 08:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
GocartMoz Offline
Apprentice

As everyone has said. This is a great recording. Crisp, well mixed and balanced. It really is screaming for a vocal melody to put it over the top. I can't find any fault with the backing tracks. The only thing that seemed a touch off to me was the ending. It was a bit abrupt. However, with a vocal melody it may be fine.

Dave

#488555 - 08/30/18 09:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

You have a good groove going on. Now, you need to write some lyrics and turn this baby into a full fledged song.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#488562 - 08/30/18 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Nice - I'm looking forward to the addition of a vocal. I agree with Dave the bass might be a bit boomy, but everything gets remixed when the vocal goes on anyway.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#488563 - 08/30/18 12:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Redundantly adding to what has been said...that is a fine engaging groove.

Looking forward to hearing where you take it.

J&B

#488603 - 08/30/18 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Thanks, Gentlemen (and Dave). Dave, you are right about the bass. I mixed this with a pair of $8 headphones. Not only did they pinch my ears, they rolled off so much bass I had to crank it up just to be able to hear much of it.

So instead of waiting for one of you to buy me new ones, I went ahead and "splurged". Yes, indeed. Boomy is a good word.

I hope this will come together with all the gear and talent required. I'm really starting all over again. In the meantime, if Alan beats me to it, I'm good. I never consider my backing tracks as "mine".

#488644 - 08/30/18 07:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: GocartMoz]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: GocartMoz
...The only thing that seemed a touch off to me was the ending. It was a bit abrupt. However, with a vocal melody it may be fine.
Dave

I took another listen with these cans, and also a look at the notation and it seems like the piano chord is left out of those last two "shots". If anything, I'll probably drop the last one, but I think if I add in the piano chord to the first one it will help fatten it up. Maybe it will sound less abrupt that way. I am thinking about extending it a bit also.

Thanks for the thoughtful listen and comment.

Edited by Tangmo (08/30/18 07:26 PM)

#489003 - 09/02/18 02:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pacific Country Drive [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Great vibe!! Great mix! Great arrangement! I may be interested in a collab but I'm very busy. I'll think it over. Cool!! Take care. Greg

PG Music News
How to: Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®

Starting with a RealStyle in Band-in-a-Box®, and want to make one of your tracks a MIDI track? See how this is done using the MIDI Track Picker dialog with our video How to Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Band-in-a-Box® Tuba RealTracks

Today (May 6) is International Tuba Day!

Celebrate your love for the Tuba today - add one of our Tuba RealTracks (available in Sets 143, 162, and 248) played by either Brad Muirhead or Philip Santner.

Already have a Band-in-a-Box® song with a Tuba? Share it here!

How to: Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®

Looking for a specific RealTrack for your song? See how easy it is to search by keyword or file name when you watch our latest video, How to Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Today!

Using Band-in-a-Box 2022 for Windows? Great news! We've released a free update that enhances many of the MIDI features and Drum Stems tracks, updates the program manual and documentation, and resolves a few user reported issues.

This free update includes additional enhancements to the DAW Plugin, and updates it to version 4.5.33.

Make sure you download this free update today!

Learn more...

How to: Capturing and Adding a Screenshot to the PG Music Forums

The PG Music Forums is packed with an incredibly active community, always happy to discuss and share Band-in-a-Box tips, help with any questions other users have, and of course share their songs!

Want to know how to add a screenshot to your forum post? Follow the steps in our helpful video tutorial.

Band-in-a-Box® Utility Tracks User Tip

#TipTuesday

Utility Tracks were added to Band-in-a-Box® with version 2021. With this feature, there are now 16 editable Utility tracks in Band-in-a-Box®, which can be used for audio and/or MIDI! Generate RealTracks, RealDrums, MIDI tracks, and you can even record or import existing Audio or MIDI files to these tracks!

See how forum user justanoldmuso utilizes this feature to streamline their workflow with their recent post, Side benefit of biab added utility tracks.

How to: Capturing and Adding a Screenshot to Live Chat Support

The Live Help feature on our website is a great way to get in touch with our team for any assistance you may need with our programs. Not only can you have a conversation with us explaining your situation, you can include screenshots too!

We show you how easy it is with these videos:

Capturing and Adding a Screenshot to Live Chat Support at PG Music.com - Windows

Capturing and Adding a Screenshot to Live Chat Support at PG Music.com - MacOS

Forum Stats
36030 Members
64 Forums
74373 Topics
652517 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
slelekacs, Stu312, YeeL, aworsley, jcallaway5

36029 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 138