Options
Index
#493065 - 09/27/18 08:22 AM [User Showcase] Over My Head
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

A co-write with Debi Champion.

If you ever spend any time in Nashville checking the songwriting scene, you will likely find Debi's Writers' Night.
She has hosted the most popular nights for at least 25 years.
It is currently at The Commodore Lounge on West End.
For many years it was at The Broken Spoke Saloon (for reference for anyone who might have visited Nashville in years past).
Almost every writer who has come through in the last 25 years has played Debi's stage.
If you've listened to Country music in that period, you have heard guys and gals who got their start at those writer's nights. Some still pop in to do a round now and again.
Of course, you will also hear a night full of songs that are "less than great" - the majority of writers who move to town will find that they do not belong there - but, you've still got to give them credit for trying - for following a dream.
And a few who aren't ready when they get there will develop into good writers and find their way into the right nooks and crannies...doors do open for those who have the talent... and most will start at one of Debi's nights.
She is a sweetheart - welcoming to all.
Pack your dreams, your guitar and go see her to get a spot...

OVER MY HEAD

steady as a rock, always on an even keel
i never lose my head over what my heart might feel
but, then, you kissed me
oh could this be
what love makes you do when it's real

my heart's in deeper than it's ever been
   it just jumped right in
   i can't seem to catch my breath
   i'm going under again
   there's no saving it now, just let it go
   it's been swept away by something out of control
   a feeling too deep to tread
   my heart's in over my head

hey, look at me, throwing caution to the wind
not really caring if i sink or swim
i'm closing my eyes
holding on tight
here i go, i'm giving in

The BAND:

Style is _BRITPOP.STY (Classic British Pop )
RealTracks in style: ~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 888:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopBronx Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1270:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopUpliftSyncMuted Ev16 120
RealTracks in style: 1948:Mandolin, Rhythm PopUpliftingAndy Ev16 120
RealTracks in song: 2688:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBrentSimple Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: PopRock8ths^01-a:Closed Hat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare
Loop in Song: Percussion Loops\Loop120bpm Claps Calypso - 16beat.wav
Additional loops from Studio One Professional

Harmonies: the janettes (Janice Merritt and me - mostly Janice)

Another Big Thanks to Janice & Bud for being a big part of my music!

Hope you enjoyed it.
Comments welcome.
Have at it.

floyd

#493067 - 09/27/18 08:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Good song!

I listened twice, first through the monitors and then through the phones.

When I listen through the phones every so often I'm hearing something odd on the harmony vocal panned left, "to catch my breath", is an example, as if it might be slightly out of sync? Or maybe just the fx you have on it? Maybe it's just my old ears wink

But, enjoyed the song and the performance very much.

#493073 - 09/27/18 09:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Really nice work on this, Gary smile It has a fantastic old school quality to it. The vocal performance is strong and memorable, and the backing tracks make it all flow beautifully. The harmonies played a wonderful roll here, and perfectly catchy as well.

Great job, and thanks for sharing!

#493094 - 09/27/18 10:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Hey Floyd,

Did you change your name to Gary? Sweet!

Anyway, I agree this song has a really catchy, extremely hooky hold-school vibe to it.

And I mean that in a really good way.

Really enjoyed it!!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#493099 - 09/27/18 11:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Gary..

Nice guitar sounds and Groove ,Vocals are good and strong, though I agree with the weird sound ?, I also hear it, bit more time on this one I think.

Another listen on my beyer cans, it is just a bit of a delay on the backing vocals, sounds great on the phones.

Edited by beatmaster (09/27/18 01:54 PM)
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 ,Byerdynamic 770 pro, akg k270,akg k701.
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

#493111 - 09/27/18 12:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Hey... this is a fun song. Has a pop country sound to it.

David Snyder..... were you referencing Gary Morris? Yep... I think I told FJ that years ago.... uncanny huh?

Yep...all in all a cool tune. Nice work.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#493122 - 09/27/18 01:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Yes, a fun and positive fallin'-in-love song. Much enjoyed.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#493123 - 09/27/18 01:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: BlueAttitude]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good song!

When I listen through the phones every so often I'm hearing something odd on the harmony vocal panned left, "to catch my breath", is an example, as if it might be slightly out of sync? Or maybe just the fx you have on it? Maybe it's just my old ears wink

Dave - I think I found the issue (an effect doing weird stuff). I've uploaded a new version (deleted the old one - only way I could figure to replace it). Let me know if you are still hearing something not right. Thanks for the listen!

#493124 - 09/27/18 01:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Gary..

Nice guitar sounds and Groove ,Vocals are good and strong, though I agree with the weird sound ?, I also hear it, bit more time on this one I think.

Another listen on my beyer cans, it is just a bit of a delay on the backing vocals, sounds great on the phones.
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 ,Byerdynamic 770 pro, akg k270,akg k701.

#493125 - 09/27/18 01:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: beatmaster]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: beatmaster

Try it again - I re-mixed after your secondary listen.

#493128 - 09/27/18 02:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Minted now, was it just an upload thing ?.

#493134 - 09/27/18 02:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good song!

Dave - I think I found the issue (an effect doing weird stuff). I've uploaded a new version (deleted the old one - only way I could figure to replace it). Let me know if you are still hearing something not right. Thanks for the listen!

Perfection! smile

#493145 - 09/27/18 03:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

Tight, upbeat... and highly marketable (in another simpler Top Of The Pops world!).
The vocals and harmonies sound just right to me.

Robert

#493165 - 09/27/18 04:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd

Wonderful and catchy -excellent melody and write.
Vocals all of them are fabulous (the harmonies are superbly tight).
Another gem.

Peter

#493169 - 09/27/18 04:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I nice 60's vintage sounding pop song.

Floyd how do you come up with such winners, both in chords, lyrics and mixes, time after time after time?

This is another of my FJ favorites.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#493217 - 09/28/18 04:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Very catchy pop rock song, nice arrangement with pleasant loop sounds and great vocals, especially the Janettes, the guitar solo is perfect fit.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#493231 - 09/28/18 05:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: beatmaster]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Minted now, was it just an upload thing ?.

No. It was the bad use of a Nectar preset on one of the harmonies.

#493267 - 09/28/18 09:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really nice work on this, Gary smile It has a fantastic old school quality to it. The vocal performance is strong and memorable, and the backing tracks make it all flow beautifully. The harmonies played a wonderful roll here, and perfectly catchy as well.

Great job, and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for listening, Deryk... fj

#493336 - 09/28/18 02:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Janice said she enjoyed singing along with it as much as she did when she recorded her part.

You covered a lot of bases with this one...catchy wonderful melody, older sounds, newer sounds, the fj high bar production stamp and, of course, an engagingly nailed lead vocal.

Given the high fj output it remains remarkable that you NEVER release any filler. Amazing.

J&B

#493396 - 09/28/18 08:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Over My Head [Re: floyd jane]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

What a fun feel good song! Fun to sing along with too. Love the oldie vibe that runs through it and those claps. Add my compliments to your co-writer and the Janettes too. Great job y'all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Video - How to Transpose a Region of a Band-in-a-Box® Song

Want to learn how to transpose just one chorus of your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Check out our latest video, shared to the I want a video that shows me how to... forum: https://youtu.be/XiMrgtQ7u14

Band-in-a-Box® - What People Are Saying...

Wow, check out the latest feedback from Band-in-a-Box® users!

"I have one song I've been torturing over to get the sound right for quite some time and I merely keyed in the chords and what BB generated is awesome. Just what I hoped that song would sound like. What had taken me months to get right (and couldn't), the program could do in about an hour - AMAZING!"

"Great Ear Training Exercises! And I love that that you can set the tempo to whatever you choose. It's great for learning a tune!"

"A very good and easy to use musical program!"

"It's amazingly easy to use! Write a song? No problem! Add background sound track to a video? No problem! Put notes on a staff and have BB make up a chord progression and tell what key you are in? No problem! Start with a chord progression and have BB make a melody line? No problem!"

"Still the best practice tool I have found, great for running lines, improvising over and really helpful for working on song writing ideas as well! Good for beginners, and the more musical skill and knowledge you have the more you will get out of the software."

"I create demo songs with Band-in-a-Box, it helps me to get my ideas across to my engineer!"

"Been using Band-in-a-Box for years. Outstanding product from a great company!"

"It's like buying a Musical History Jukebox. It comes with probably 3000 styles and is like hiring session musicians to play rhythm with you, they even have soloists! It introduces you to so many types of rhythms that you other wise would know nothing about. "

"Paul McCartney said you gotta have a great band behind you. Well, Band-in-a-Box is my band."

"It's as easy as typing in the chords, choosing your style, instruments, etc., and off you go! Learning the tune? You can slow it down while you work on it then speed it up. My favorite analogy is a good chess program, which will play at your speed and level and is eternally patient!"

"I love my Band in a box, it does so much! Besides all the RealTracks and song ideas, it's a great tool to stay sharp with your licks. Social distancing got you down? Can't jam with friends? Pick out any song and go to the mixer button, there you can mute any instrument that's playing so you can jump right in and play along!"

"I love it. I'm a drummer, and Band-in-a-Box really keeps me on my toes!"

"The DAW plugin is really great. Trust me on this. I use it with Studio One.

"This is how I've been able to gig solo for the past 20 years. Band-in-a-Box is the great equalizer for us none rhythm players."

"Wouldn't want to be without it! One of the best things I bought in my life. Simple as that."

"As a songwriter I really love to work with Band-in-a-Box. The only limitation is your own creativity."

"I've used Band-in-a-Box for 25 years and thanks to this program and the advice of PG Music staff I've written over 100 songs. It's great software and amazing help to me as a musician. CONGRATS!!!"

Thank you for all the amazing feedback!

Band-in-a-Box® - A Teaching Tool!

Did you know that we offer Band-in-a-Box® LabPAK and Site License purchase options for schools? This is an ideal option for any educational institution looking to add Band-in-a-Box® to their curriculum.

Learn more about the LabPAK purchase options here: Windows | Mac.

How would a teacher use Band-in-a-Box® in a school setting?

A few ideas:
-practice sight reading with the students by following the on-screen notation
-display the Guitar Fretboard or Big Piano Window to watch the notes being played
-Trading fours! (etc.)
-generate a song for accompaniment during practice sessions
-create a practice song and save it as an audio file to send home with the student for additional practice!

...and more!

Wondering how to add a Band-in-a-Box LabPAK to your school? Feel free to contact us directly with any questions you might have! Click here to send us an email.

Forum Stats
33041 Members
68 Forums
66556 Topics
566034 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
RichardD, gallantknight, Mamlish Man, srholland, brichmond

33041 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Janice & Bud 147
CaptainMoto 135