Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#493351 - 09/28/18 03:47 PM [User Showcase] Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Tryin'

Tryin’ was one of our earliest co-writes with floyd. Five years ago he used my lyric as a template for teaching the two of us some of the songwriting techniques he had learned over the years. What was to be a bit of a learning exercise became a real musical journey for us as he also suggested the strings, developed the melody, transformed the lyric and sang harmony. Most flattering was that he recorded a guy version of the song smile

The forum was much smaller then and we thought newer folks might like to hear the song so we undertook a complete re-mix that consisted of all new effects on each track and a new mastering chain. We also did considerable work comping new versions of the fiddle and cello track. We doubled the vocal track with new effects to get a bit more presence as it was originally with a USB mic into GarageBand. And floyd offered some great mix counsel.

So huge thanks to floyd for then and now and thanks to those who take the time to listen and comment. We appreciate you!
Lyrics are on the SC page.

The techie stuff

Janice: lead vocal (original track doubled and stacked with differing Nectar 2 custom settings). Recorded via Blue USB mic into GarageBand.

floyd: harmony vocal / whatever the man did

Mandolin: composite of multiple generations of RTs 1875/2033 / Waves CLA Guitar

Guitar: RT 1814 / Waves CLA Unplugged

Cello: composite of multiple generations of RT 1856 / Logic Direction Mixer / Neutron 2 / EMT 140 Plate Reverb simulation

Fiddle: RT 1760 / Waves CLA Unplugged

Mix: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Waves Multi-Band Compressor (LinMB) / Ozone 8 Maximizer (limiter)

#493352 - 09/28/18 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice, Bud & floyd

Well that was simply gorgeous.
Where to start - The vocals and harmony were simply top class (as expected - your voices mesh so well),
beautiful melody, a nice set of lyrics and a wonderful mix. The mandolin was lovely, and all the band sounds great and the overall sound and production was superb.
Master craftsmen at work.

Peter

#493353 - 09/28/18 04:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Great song, great sound, great singer(s). Tasteful and tasty instrumentation and fills. Production in the goldilocks zone, to my ears. Very, very nice.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#493375 - 09/28/18 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: PeterF]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice, Bud & floyd

Well that was simply gorgeous.
Where to start - The vocals and harmony were simply top class (as expected - your voices mesh so well),
beautiful melody, a nice set of lyrics and a wonderful mix. The mandolin was lovely, and all the band sounds great and the overall sound and production was superb.
Master craftsmen at work.

Peter

Peter, those kind remarks are much appreciated. Makes us feel like the revisit was a worthwhile project. Thank you!

J&B

#493381 - 09/28/18 06:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
The two voices sound perfect together.
Sweet song and sweet arrangement.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#493385 - 09/28/18 06:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Loving it here - everything about this is so beautifully done.

#493426 - 09/29/18 02:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the repost, I was here back then but wasn't very active so missed it the first time.

First of all a very good song.

And man, those vocals sound fabulous! Two great singers of course, but the vocal treatment is superb. Are you using a bit more reverb than you normally do? I couldn't imagine them possibly sounding better, well done.

Killer job on the production and mix, one of your best IMHO.

#493443 - 09/29/18 05:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Tangmo]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Great song, great sound, great singer(s). Tasteful and tasty instrumentation and fills. Production in the goldilocks zone, to my ears. Very, very nice.

Thank you! This was a fun project then and now. Glad you liked it!

J&B

#493467 - 09/29/18 10:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

That`s such a good melody! Janice & Floyd`s voices are both very " present" so whatever you did on the vocal processing is just right.
I enjoyed everything about this... the combination of cello with country fiddle is unusual and you made it work.
Another gem well worth the new shine you`ve all given it!

Robert

#493481 - 09/29/18 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: rayc]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rayc
The two voices sound perfect together.
Sweet song and sweet arrangement.

Thanks Ray! They have blended well since day one.

Bud

#493487 - 09/29/18 02:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Wow, this is a very nice piece of music. Wonderful vocals - and the mixing of the music is outstanding good.

Really, really enjoyed this!

Will

#493498 - 09/29/18 03:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Gorgeous song guys, top pro vocals!
Those multiple takes of the mandolin surely worked out!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#493513 - 09/29/18 04:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Sundance]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Loving it here - everything about this is so beautifully done.

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the nice words.

J&B

#493588 - 09/30/18 11:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Thanks for the repost, I was here back then but wasn't very active so missed it the first time.

First of all a very good song.

And man, those vocals sound fabulous! Two great singers of course, but the vocal treatment is superb. Are you using a bit more reverb than you normally do? I couldn't imagine them possibly sounding better, well done.

Killer job on the production and mix, one of your best IMHO.

Thanks Dave. I doubled the track and stacked the two. The top track has my usual amount of reverb while the bottom track amongst other things (one being a little "tape" saturation) adds a bit of delay. Something I've been experimenting with this year. All is added via Nectar 2.

Very glad you liked the production!!

J&B

#493591 - 09/30/18 11:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Fantastic, so nice to hear a perfect arrangement/mix, so simple but still very lush and the cello is distinguishable & nicely panned, something to chase after. Superb vocals. Has modern Irish folk feeling, reminds me of the Corrs.

Janne

#493594 - 09/30/18 12:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Another very nice song from you folks! A tip of the hat to everyone involved! Such a beautiful sound with crystal clear audio quality which is something you always seem to accomplish great performances also! Thanks, T

Edited by Torrey Bliss (09/30/18 12:04 PM)

#493631 - 09/30/18 03:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Loved your lyric idea, using the idea of trying, so imaginative, and common to everyone...and how you used the repeat of "I'm tryin'" melodically, very, very nice.

I noticed how you kept the chord chart very simple so that all the other elements--melody, vocal, instrumentation, could step forward and not be complicated by tricky changes...a real hallmark of sound composition judgement!

Everything about the track is top-notch! Congrats on a real jewel!

#493634 - 09/30/18 04:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
What a great sound! Am I talking about any one instrument, all of the instruments, or vocals? YES! It's clean and GREAT warmth.

I really like the variety of effects which, to me, makes things stand out while maintaining blend! What?! YES! Thank you for "going there" with the effects mix.

I did not hear the original; but I loved what I heard with this.

I will admit, when I first saw that you didn't include the lyrics I was a little bummed that you maybe forgot. Then in listening I was actually made aware of two things.

1-I couldn't read ahead of the melody...which is really nice; and actually pretty natural to how you normally might experience a song.

2-When it's mixed and performed really well, they aren't needed. You can simply understand every word! What a concept.

Vocals...I've got nothin' to say. They speak for themselves. (REALLY great!)

The instrumentation is what I love to hear. VERY present; never in the way. It's orchestrated, arranged and executed well. A really nice job in knowing "when to" and "when not to." It really makes all the difference.

I will stop gushing now.

Tryin'? Ah...no. Succeeded!
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#493640 - 09/30/18 04:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
What cool intro. Such a pretty vocal and harmony. Super collaboration. Production is first class. Just a lovely song...

#493724 - 10/01/18 10:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Robertkc]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
That`s such a good melody! Janice & Floyd`s voices are both very " present" so whatever you did on the vocal processing is just right.
I enjoyed everything about this... the combination of cello with country fiddle is unusual and you made it work.
Another gem well worth the new shine you`ve all given it!

Robert

Thank you Robert. We also appreciate you mentioning the fiddle. I had originally something with more of a formal violin sound but could get it to work.

J&B

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Video - How to Transpose a Region of a Band-in-a-Box® Song

Want to learn how to transpose just one chorus of your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Check out our latest video, shared to the I want a video that shows me how to... forum: https://youtu.be/XiMrgtQ7u14

Band-in-a-Box® - What People Are Saying...

Wow, check out the latest feedback from Band-in-a-Box® users!

"I have one song I've been torturing over to get the sound right for quite some time and I merely keyed in the chords and what BB generated is awesome. Just what I hoped that song would sound like. What had taken me months to get right (and couldn't), the program could do in about an hour - AMAZING!"

"Great Ear Training Exercises! And I love that that you can set the tempo to whatever you choose. It's great for learning a tune!"

"A very good and easy to use musical program!"

"It's amazingly easy to use! Write a song? No problem! Add background sound track to a video? No problem! Put notes on a staff and have BB make up a chord progression and tell what key you are in? No problem! Start with a chord progression and have BB make a melody line? No problem!"

"Still the best practice tool I have found, great for running lines, improvising over and really helpful for working on song writing ideas as well! Good for beginners, and the more musical skill and knowledge you have the more you will get out of the software."

"I create demo songs with Band-in-a-Box, it helps me to get my ideas across to my engineer!"

"Been using Band-in-a-Box for years. Outstanding product from a great company!"

"It's like buying a Musical History Jukebox. It comes with probably 3000 styles and is like hiring session musicians to play rhythm with you, they even have soloists! It introduces you to so many types of rhythms that you other wise would know nothing about. "

"Paul McCartney said you gotta have a great band behind you. Well, Band-in-a-Box is my band."

"It's as easy as typing in the chords, choosing your style, instruments, etc., and off you go! Learning the tune? You can slow it down while you work on it then speed it up. My favorite analogy is a good chess program, which will play at your speed and level and is eternally patient!"

"I love my Band in a box, it does so much! Besides all the RealTracks and song ideas, it's a great tool to stay sharp with your licks. Social distancing got you down? Can't jam with friends? Pick out any song and go to the mixer button, there you can mute any instrument that's playing so you can jump right in and play along!"

"I love it. I'm a drummer, and Band-in-a-Box really keeps me on my toes!"

"The DAW plugin is really great. Trust me on this. I use it with Studio One.

"This is how I've been able to gig solo for the past 20 years. Band-in-a-Box is the great equalizer for us none rhythm players."

"Wouldn't want to be without it! One of the best things I bought in my life. Simple as that."

"As a songwriter I really love to work with Band-in-a-Box. The only limitation is your own creativity."

"I've used Band-in-a-Box for 25 years and thanks to this program and the advice of PG Music staff I've written over 100 songs. It's great software and amazing help to me as a musician. CONGRATS!!!"

Thank you for all the amazing feedback!

Band-in-a-Box® - A Teaching Tool!

Did you know that we offer Band-in-a-Box® LabPAK and Site License purchase options for schools? This is an ideal option for any educational institution looking to add Band-in-a-Box® to their curriculum.

Learn more about the LabPAK purchase options here: Windows | Mac.

How would a teacher use Band-in-a-Box® in a school setting?

A few ideas:
-practice sight reading with the students by following the on-screen notation
-display the Guitar Fretboard or Big Piano Window to watch the notes being played
-Trading fours! (etc.)
-generate a song for accompaniment during practice sessions
-create a practice song and save it as an audio file to send home with the student for additional practice!

...and more!

Wondering how to add a Band-in-a-Box LabPAK to your school? Feel free to contact us directly with any questions you might have! Click here to send us an email.

Forum Stats
33028 Members
68 Forums
66509 Topics
565466 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
twntrn, Gerr Coll, rolenzo, JohnK, minayang

33028 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
CaptainMoto 155
Janice & Bud 131