You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#495241 - 10/11/18 01:35 PM [User Showcase] A little gift from the archive...
Tangmo Offline
Expert

...for all you song-writers. A collaboration with a fella named Trev Brown who played the mando and fiddle. I think the remainder were pushed through the Kurzweil. Neither of us liked the drums, so out they came.

Info pulled from the old .sgu opened in the new BIAB.

Soloist is saved with the song : Country Waltz Even Chet (130)
Style is WALZFAST.STY (Fast Waltz - Country Pop)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic String Bass (33), Acoustic Piano (1), Acoustic Guitar (26), Pad-Warm (Slow) (90),
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

Just Trying to Write a Song

He knew of a woman lived across the great water
He asked for the hand of her beautiful daughter
Sure, it's cheap and cheesy to go for that rhyme
But I'm just trying to write a song.

He'd met the girl first at the worst time of his life
She knew before him that she'd be his wife.
I wasn't there, so don't ask how I know
I'm just trying to write a song.

The days grew more gentle, the night grew more faint
Their lives were a canvas on which they would paint
And they had their struggles...just like that last line
Hey, I'm just trying to write a song.

Short Instrumental

Married on Tuesday with some circumstance
She smiled like a Sunday when he asked her to dance
Some days I know what that feels like, and some days I don't
Still I'm just trying to write a song.

Words will all fail me defining their joys
and run like a houseful of unruly boys.
I'm no shaman, no prophet, but I know what I dream
And I'm trying to write this song

Maybe one day the glow will fade and the bills will come due
Maybe they'll settle into grayness like most people do.
That's hard to imagine as I sit here right now,
Just trying to write a song

(Instrumental verse)

It isn't easy to capture the part
about the light in her eyes and the fire in his heart
'cause music's too weak and language too strong
when you're just trying to write a song

No profit, no shame in saying what I mean
But I'm just trying to write a song

I'm trying to write
Lord, let me write
I'm just trying to write a song.

Just Trying to Write a Song

Tangmo 2005

Edited by Tangmo (10/11/18 01:48 PM)
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#495253 - 10/11/18 02:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Tangmo !:))

You really did write the song
in the end ! I liked everything
about it and want to congratulate
you and your buddy for the nice playing, singing and mixing that can be heard here !

Cheers
Dani

#495262 - 10/11/18 02:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia

That was a very pretty song - enjoyed the lyric, catchy melody,excellent mandolin, fiddle and vocal.
Good work by all concerned.

Peter

#495264 - 10/11/18 02:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
very melodic, a good write

the mandolin sounds great

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

#495311 - 10/11/18 06:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Loved this song. Super vocal. The mandolin dancing around the vocal was very cool. Well done

#495317 - 10/11/18 07:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

LOL! That is too funny. Much enjoyed.

#495355 - 10/12/18 03:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Well, I think you wrote a pretty good one! Very clever. I'm hopeless when it comes to lyrics which is why Chris writes most of ours.

Nice to hear Trev in there too! I still see him on facebook from time to time, he is enjoying the good life I think.

Enjoyed the listen!

#495381 - 10/12/18 06:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Tangmo,

HAHAHA! This is VERY clever! An exceptional write. The humor/cleverness is integrated into the write in a professional manner - not many can pull that off. In addition to the humor, there are a number of excellent lines. This is an impressive write.

And a very nice recording. Nicely played and a really nice vocal (very "comfortable") and nicely mixed.

I thoroughly enjoyed this.

fj

#495448 - 10/12/18 11:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Tangmo, you did a great job with this one! Vocal is so good on this and everything just sounds right in place! This song kind of puts me in mind of a cross between Cat Stevens and the nitty-gritty dirt band and that is not a bad thing! Thanks,

#495719 - 10/13/18 12:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Thanks all for the kind comments.

You know if a member of the general public had reacted with LOL, I'd worry. But among us "insiders" it is great to read and received with gratitude. Graci.

I'm glad you liked it.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#495737 - 10/13/18 02:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
That's cool.
The intimate vocal works really well, (could use a tiny bit of de-essing), I know that Blockfish has an amzing preset for intimate vocals - & it's free.
The mandolin and lyrics star.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#495887 - 10/14/18 01:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Words will all fail me defining their joys
and run like a houseful of unruly boys.

That`s my favourite among many very good lines...the whole song is very inventive on a good original idea. Warm, wise and sweet but not too cute!
Its a good recording ( is this the Farfetched Tangmo Band?)- has that friends in a living room sound most of us lost when we switched to BiaB.

Robert

#495931 - 10/14/18 07:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: Sundance
LOL! That is too funny. Much enjoyed.

Yes, very clever and funny!! And the way it basically comes off so straight during most of the song even makes it better..........like the chief playing the straight man on Get Smart. Really, really enjoyed this!! BTW, the vocal performance and processing is fantastic...What was your signal path in recording/mixing? Take care. Greg

#496014 - 10/15/18 07:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work on this one smile Love the light-hearted nature of the tune, and the progressions really stand out to me. As others said, the lyrics are really standout and the mandolin sounds fantastic.

Great job and thanks for sharing!

#496019 - 10/15/18 08:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
It's hard to add to what floyd wrote...he's one of the absolute best lyricists here so we'll just say ditto!

The words that come to mind...clever, catchy, fun, well sung, instrumentally well performed and well produced. And, hey, its a waltz!

It sounds excellent on our monitors.

Janice mentioned the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band...yeah.

We enjoyed it and will again...

J&B

PS The song is marked "private" on SC which precludes likes, shares, and keeps us from adding it to our favorite SC playlist (which we often listen to)!

#496099 - 10/15/18 02:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

What was your signal path in recording/mixing? Take care. Greg

Not sure what Trev did, but I recorded with a condenser mic, through a radio shack mixer with phantom power, to stock sound-card, into Acid Pro 4. I also did the mixing with that DAW.

Robert, Farfetched Tangmo Band started with me and loops, broadened to include song-writing and/or recording collaborations over the internet (Trev, here, was in Alabama, me in Tennessee) with various partners and players. When I discovered BIAB, the "band" seemed a perfect fit to add to the umbrella term.

Trev and I did a fair number of songs on a fairly strict regimen. He would "bandify" a song for me if I would write a lyric and (preferably) sing for him on one of his. This one falls under the first of those categories. I haven't really counted, but he is certainly in the top three of people with whom I've worked like this in terms of number of songs completed.

If it sounds like we were in the same room, I'd say it was something of a sonic success. We were on the same wave-length in most every project we managed to complete.

There is a "serious side" to this song. I am he, and he is me and song-writing is symbol. It's sort of a lyrical hall of mirrors, but I wanted it to work both in text and subtext. I haven't been disappointed.

J&B, I didn't know making it private would do all that, so it's public now as long as I decide to leave it.

Thanks, again, all.

Edited by Tangmo (10/15/18 02:52 PM)

#496151 - 10/15/18 07:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: A little gift from the archive... [Re: Tangmo]
guitar1 Offline
Apprentice

Tangmo, there are some wonderful vivid lines in this song. Lines that keep you awake at night trying to piece together the way that you feel. I think I can speak for most songwriters on this on. We've all been there. Well done.

PG Music News
Happy Thanksgiving!

Today our friends in the USA are celebrating Thanksgiving!

Our hours are not affected - we are here until 6pm PST!

We hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving!

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Forum Stats
33236 Members
67 Forums
66173 Topics
567488 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
HasseIron, IanP, Neha Sharma, Bravo Hearing Ce, PSAcademy

33235 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 201