You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#501608 - 11/16/18 07:49 AM [User Showcase] New song: "The Santiago Way"
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Last summer Richard, my songwriting partner, embarked on an incredibly demanding solo adventure (like me, he’s in his late 60s), walking the Camino de Santiago in the North West of Spain, where he covered over 600 miles. Sometimes called The Way of Saint James, the Camino is a network of Christian pilgrimage routes dating back to the Middle Ages and today many people from all over the world follow its routes as a form of spiritual path or retreat for their spiritual growth. Richard wrote the lyrics which give an insight into his experiences. I made some small additions and put the whole to music.

Links:

YouTube
Soundcloud
Lyrics & Notes

I took to stepping into the unknown, down the unravelling road.
I left behind everything I owned, I shed my burden, I shed my load.
There you may feel loneliness and pain; your body aching from the day,
But you’ll do things you’ll never do again out on The Santiago Way.

If you should wander the way of Saint James,
Brother, you’ll never be the same.
Forget the strategies, lies and games,
You’re back to zero and dealing with the pain.

My jewel gone from the mosaic of life, in time it changed for the better.
Now it don’t fit back in; it don’t feel right, but none of that old stuff really matters.
Like the pilgrims over hundreds of years, seeking answers to the question why,
I’ll follow James and face my fears, treading the miles under blue Iberian skies.

I tell you brother, you’ll never be the same.
Forget the strategies, lies and games,
Banish your fears and wash away the stain.

It’s only pain; it could be worse. It will pass, you’re not the first.

I tell you brother, you’ll never be the same.
Oh, forget the strategies, lies and games,
You’re back to zero and dealing with the pain.

Face up to emptiness again and again.
Banish your fears and wash away the stain.

Regards
John

Edited by Skyline (11/16/18 08:38 AM)
Edit Reason: Lyrics added.
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#501613 - 11/16/18 08:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Skyline,

very nice song - love the chorus. Thanks for sharing!

#501618 - 11/16/18 08:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
nice groove, love that piano sound, great guitar solo

you should post the lyrics, what I can catch I really like

thanks for the back story

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

#501623 - 11/16/18 08:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Man, I really like this!

Vocals are great and the guitar work is smooth and melodic, just the way I like it. Love those harmonies!

Very well produced and mixed, professional sound to these ears.

Re: the back story, I am familiar with that trail. My wife and I do hiking vacations, last big one was in Switzerland. And she also wants to do the Camino de Santiago trail, although we would do a much smaller section smile

Blue Attitude Website

#501633 - 11/16/18 09:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hello Skyline, this is excellent! I really dug the chord progression. Great tone with the guitar and love the synth lines! Very fun tune. Well done!

#501635 - 11/16/18 09:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hi John,

What a great song! Love the mix - the drums really carry the drive. The harmonies are top shelf all the way and the backing tracks are a perfect fit. Love everything about it. The music break on the bridge renews the song at the perfect time. Terrific guitar lead, too! Also, loved the trailing at the end.

Best to you.

Alan

Edited by Al-David (11/16/18 09:38 AM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#501672 - 11/16/18 12:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

John (and Richard),

Nice job on this.

A bunch of nice elements that fit together nicely to create a sound similar to radio hits of the late 60's and early 70's (the more ambitious ones). A very cool sound. Very Pop.

The bass is killer. Nice guitar work. Good mix (as always).

Enjoyed.

fj

#501682 - 11/16/18 01:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
John this is very good. I liked the guitar work. The vocals were super and the harmonies were spot on. That bass was great. The mix was also super.

Great job on this.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#501688 - 11/16/18 01:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Online   content
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Really great composition, and very nice performance as well... Totally encompasses the reason why people decide to walk "The Way"--it is an encounter with one's self. Loved the chorus, the little break in the middle, and all the little adde-ins in the back track. Fine solo as WELL... vocals ++. THanks for posting!

#501691 - 11/16/18 01:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Good going on this. I really enjoyed the seventies feel. Rob

#501709 - 11/16/18 03:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very, very cool song!! Love the production and arrangement too! I'm assuming you played the guitar parts? Very sweet. Enjoyed this a lot!! Take care. Greg

#501786 - 11/17/18 02:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Many thanks Crossroads, Kenny, Dave, Joe, Alan, Floyd, Mario, Tano, Rob, Greg.
Glad you all enjoyed it. I confess it did take some time to do the vocal harmonies, I find I can hear in my head what's needed but can't always sing them right!
Yes, Greg, all guitar work by yours truly.

Best wishes
John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#501867 - 11/17/18 02:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Sure good to see you back. By now we know that means quality in every sense of the word.
This one is very well crafted and we particularly like the melodic sequence on the chorus.
Great video as well!
Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#501883 - 11/17/18 02:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
I am digging the keyboard and guitar work--fantastic. Nice tune.

#502046 - 11/18/18 02:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

John, my wife and I are also hikers. I have read a lot about the Camino de Santiago and it is a fascinating place. The song is a testament to your musicianship and arrangement skills. You did your friend proud with this great sounding piece. So very well done, Tom

#502113 - 11/19/18 04:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Thanks Rob & Anne-Marie, EzS, & Tom! Glad you enjoyed it.

Ez: that electric piano part was the hardest, especially the intro, as I couldn't find what I wanted in BIAB so used my dreadful keyboard 'skills' to make it myself using MIDI (and a lot of tidying up...!)
whistle
John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#502181 - 11/19/18 11:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi skyline love it clear and crisp mix awesome vocal guitar was perfect and keys thanks eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#502336 - 11/20/18 07:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work here! It flows really well, and I love the persistent groove that follows throughout. And wow, is that ever a catchy chorus. I'm getting a strong 80's influence on this particular tune. Top notch guitar work too.

Great job and thanks for sharing smile

#502984 - 11/22/18 01:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Thanks Eric and Deryk for the kind words.

Cheers
John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#503188 - 11/22/18 06:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Loved this tune John. Very familiar vibe to it. Took me back to an earlier time in my life. Almost Moody Blues vibe. Very cool. Awesome vocal and harmonies. Guitar was excellent. Well done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to the latest build 419 to correct any improper messages for Natural Arrangements, apply VST setting improvements, experience faster customized RealTracks and RealDrums Pickers, and fix a few other user-reported issues within the program.

You'll also receive the latest DAW Plugin version 2.12.15 update, with more than 30 additions and updates, including additional options within context menus, the ability to loop a set of bars by highlighting them, and more!

Learn more about this FREE update and download it here.

Let's Hear Your Band-in-a-Box® Songs!

Working on your first song in Band-in-a-Box®? Or maybe you've built up a great collection of songs... Make sure to share them to the User Showcase Forum where other program users post their original songs too! Receive feedback, build your audience, and connect with other enthusiastic program users - you'll be happy you did!

While you're there, make sure to listen to some of the other great songs posted!

Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Forum Stats
32860 Members
68 Forums
66176 Topics
562064 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
VK3KKP, lonnydude, Dale Hamm, MikeHannigan, chemistsworld

32859 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 172
VideoTrack 140