You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#516419 - 01/09/19 07:01 AM [User Showcase] New song: "A Throw of the Dice"
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

As you get older do you have that feeling sometimes that you're dodging bullets but your luck won't last? I get that feeling more and more, so I put it in a song.

SoundCloud link incl. lyrics
Web site link (Lyrics, technical stuff. etc)

BIAB Data
_TBLZS8S.STY ‘Texas Blues’ Realtracks:
- Drums
- Bass
- Guitar L
- Guitar R
CLAPTON1.STY ‘Clapton1 Rock Blues’ MIDI:
- Organ

Tambourine is from EZdrummer. I programmed the MIDI brass parts and added vocals and lead guitar.
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#516433 - 01/09/19 08:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
love that groove

very nice guitar, awesome solo

all too true lyrics

great mix ties it all together very nicely

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

#516466 - 01/09/19 10:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Germany
Hi Skyline,

that's just great. Very well-arranged and sung; great job on the guitar. British Blues tradition at its best, didn't take long until Mick Taylor shot into my head.... Enjoyed it a lot!

Cheers,

Stefan

#516515 - 01/09/19 12:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Yes that's how life rolls smile. Great stuff.

#516573 - 01/09/19 04:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
Great composition & production...
I like it!
I also notice you have some clever little videos I found on your website...
I guess you haven't had time to produce a video of this song...
If you create one, I'd appreciate a PM heads up.
Thanks...

#516602 - 01/09/19 05:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia USA
I dig the gritty driving energy in this song. Great vocals!

#516609 - 01/09/19 05:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Journeyman

Cool stuff! Totally love it. Great energy!
Thank you for posting.

#516654 - 01/10/19 02:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
The midi horns are REALLY good - well programmed.
The icing is the assured and accurately pitched vocal plus the creamy lead lines.
Bonza.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#516719 - 01/10/19 08:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
John,

This is super. Everything done SO well. A good write (easily relatable)

Your guitar sounds GREAT. Nice tone, well played.
Drums are killer. Nice punchy bass.
The horns are very well done! (they sound "real").

Your vocal sits perfectly in the mix (and a good vocal it is!)

The overall mix is clear, crisp, clean. Superb. It sounds great at low volume AND very loud - the real test of a good mix.

Very well done.

floyd

#516724 - 01/10/19 09:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Wow!

This is a wonderful demonstration of BiaB + EZ Drums and your playing. It sounds like a well honed studio group or a long time gigging band.

Add in a fine vocal performance and mix and the result is classic sound that should be heard by many.

And the write...man, does that ever hit home. I (Bud) often say we can do all the healthy things, as Janice and I do, but even then you are just playing the odds.

And like floyd said turn it up or turn it down and it's gonna sound great!

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#516727 - 01/10/19 09:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yeah, this is right up my alley!

Just a killer job on this John, loved everything about it!

But especially loved your vocal and guitar work, and of course the lyrics.

Well done, enjoyed very much smile

Blue Attitude Website
CD release: Blue Line

#516846 - 01/10/19 05:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

A very, very good high energy song! Midi horns sound great and your guitar solo is a treat.
Up there with your best song postings here.

Robert

#517094 - 01/11/19 11:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
John,

This is stunning, really stunning.

Your writing, your singing, your arrangement, the mix and production all sparkle with the kind of clarity that stands side-by-side those professional works heard on the radio. The lyrics are so relatable.... the longer I live, the more I believe that Life really is a throw of the dice.... it's a great hook!

I thoroughly enjoyed listening. This song definitely deserves to go places!

Regards,
Noel

#517095 - 01/11/19 11:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Very nice traditional blues rock song. Strong touching lyrics with a great hook. The arrangement and mix work well. Excellent vocals, I really like your singing style here.

Janne

#517258 - 01/12/19 01:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Great one John!! Yeah, I get that feeling more and more myself. Really well written and performed!! Awesome guitar!! Take care. Greg

#517262 - 01/12/19 01:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
I love it John! What a great bluesy vibe with SUPER vocals and guitar! You always present great stuff! Oh and what a great write on this! Thanks, Torrey

#517279 - 01/12/19 02:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
John

Brilliant sound - loved the arrangement and really great guitar playing. Some thought provoking lyrics as well.
Superb.

Peter

#517579 - 01/13/19 03:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Back for another listen and loving it even more....

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#517977 - 01/15/19 09:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Columbia, MO
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Columbia, MO
Very nice!

#518170 - 01/16/19 06:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: "A Throw of the Dice" [Re: Skyline]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Many thanks everyone, I’m glad you enjoyed this one and I really appreciate the kind comments.
Sorry I’ve been late with an acknowledgement, we were away for a few days becoming grandparents for the second time. The circle of life continues…

Vocals: I confess I've always been most at home with blues; singing them comes naturally, which is why I only had to use a very tiny bit of Melodyne correction.
rayc: ‘The midi horns are REALLY good - well programmed…’
floyd: ‘The horns are very well done! (they sound "real")’
I’m getting better at putting in the timing, velocity and other imperfections that happen in brass sections, and I used a SampleTank patch called ‘Brass Falls’ which made quite a difference.
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Chord Options

Learn more about the Chord Options within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Watch the video.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 625 Now Available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 625 Now Available

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019!

Learn more about this update & download it here.

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.13.5 is included in this patch.

Summary of changes for build 625 (March 19, 2019):

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.13.5 (Mar 7) is included in this patch.

Improved: Faster program bootup.
Improved: The SongPicker has sorting added. Each column can be sorted in forward or reverse order by clicking on the column.
Improved: New buttons [Search] and [Search Again] in the SongPicker allow you to search for certain text.
Improved: In the SongPicker, pressing the first letter jumps to that song (using the sorted column). If you type more than one character (within 2 seconds), such as typing ba it will jump to songs beginning with "ba".
Improved: SongPicker Options window has "play when chosen" added.
Improved: SongPicker Options window has option to disable sorting (if you have a slow machine and more than 40,000 songs in a list, you might want to disable sorting).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might prompt user to re-activate their license. Users who are still getting a message such as "program can only used on one computer" at bootup, can repair their license with this small .exe.
Fixed: Noise and frozen playback problems when using SampleTank 3 on some computers.
Fixed: The Big Lyrics window would automatically open when opening a song that contained only section text events.
Fixed: RealDrums picker might crash if no RealDrums are selected.
Fixed: The letter R cannot be used in note based lyrics.
Fixed: Audio base tempo would not be applied until song was reopened or Audio Edit window open prior to playback.
Fixed: The SongPicker displayed a dark grey background after rebuilding.
Fixed: Various minor typos in StylePicker and Titles database as reported.
Improved: LD harmonica RealTracks will now work better over major chord progressions.
Fixed: Look Ma More MIDI .SGU demos were not loading from StylePicker.
Improved: Strings, Rhythm PopCountry Sw 120: gaps are filled more appropriately.
Fixed: RockEven16 Drums sometimes played an ending bar in the middle of the song in the B section.
Fixed: Various RealDrums transcriptions had issues with bars displaying incorrectly.
Added: RealDrums transcriptions
Fixed: Guitar, Electric, Background ModernFunkSingleNotesBob Ev16 11 transcription partially incorrect.
Fixed: _SONGBRD demo was at an incorrect tempo.
Added: RealTracks Transcriptions
Fixed: Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FastPowerRockQuinn Ev 160 - some chords incorrectly played.
Fixed: Synth, BellPad, Rhythm 80sPopMelodic Ev 120 was not playing back properly.
Fixed: Bass, Electric, PeruFestejo68 Sw 120 now plays m7b5 chords more accurately.
Fixed: Bass, Electric, PunkFuzzPicked8ths Ev 165 and Bass, Electric, PunkFuzzPickedA-B Ev 165 were playing a few incorrect chords.
Improved: Several acoustic strumming guitar audition demos.
Fixed: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernPopHardHighMurray Ev16 075 was playing incorrect chords in certain instances.
Fixed: Charango, Rhythm AndesHuayno Ev16 085 and Electric, AndesHuaynoA-B Ev16 085 were not playing all chords
Fixed: A few RealStyles (e.g. _longing.sty) previously had parts on the melody track, and would therefore delete any existing melodies.
Fixed: _Arabian demo incompatible with localized BB versions.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Chord Sheet Display Options

Learn more about the Chord Sheet Display Options within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch the video.

You can also read all about Chord Sheet Display Options within our Online Manual.

Add Cellist Natalie Haas to Your Band with RealTracks Set 325!

New with Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - RealTracks Set 325: Celtic Cello with Natalie Haas!

Watch the video demo of these RealTracks here.

RealTracks Set 325: Celtic Cello with Natalie Haas is available for $29 here, and is also included in the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition, or PlusPAK Upgrade. You can also purchase this RealTracks Set bundled with all the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 released Country RealTracks (Sets 320-328) in the RealPAK: Country 15 for $79.

Learn more about Natalie Haas here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Review!

Visit www.gearslutz.com and you'll find a recent (and thorough!) review of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

Band-in-a-Box has evolved into an expansive musical tool-set, able to aid both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical "talent". It's easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. An amazing program.
-Sound-Guy

www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/1248525-pg-music-band-box.html

Summary
Sound quality: 5/5 Stars
Ease of use: 4/5 Stars
Features: 5/5 Stars
Bang for buck: 5/5 Stars
Overall: 4.75/5 Stars!

Video - Fold & Unfold Your Song Form in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Learn how to Unfold & Fold your song within your Band-in-a-Box® song with our latest video: Fold & Unfold Your Song Form.

For more information about this feature within Chapter 6: Making Songs of our Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 623 Now Available

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019!

Learn more about this update & download it here.

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.13.5 is included in this patch.

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019 build 623 (March 7, 2019):

Fixed: The SongPicker might crash if clicking on a control when there is no song selected.
Fixed: Changing the Soloist track type to Drums did not work.
Fixed: Rendering errors with styles that had long medley & multi track names.
Fixed: The MIDI Monitor and Drums Window would not display in the language selected.
Improved: The VSTSynthFont64 performs faster when reverb is enabled.
Fixed: Holds not working properly for Piano, Electric, Rhythm Fusion styles
Fixed: PERCMARACASJOROPO68^_060 not found.

Summary of fixes for the VST DAW Plugin (1.13.5)

Fixed: Quiet right channel when testing audio in standalone plugins.
Fixed: DAW sync issue in Cakewalk.
Fixed: DAW sync issue with non 4-bar song form.
Added: Option in preferences for plugin playback in sync with DAW.
Removed: Option in preferences to Keep BBW Open (no longer needed).
Added: Audio playback through DAW driver (sync option will highlight track in red when clicked).
Fixed: Bar highlighting starting at intro after first chorus.

Forum Stats
29161 Members
60 Forums
57353 Topics
479876 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Jorge H., XXL, DWagSr, Laureene, 4mrwrkr

29159 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 159
Jim Fogle 136