You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#518721 - 01/18/19 04:33 PM [User Showcase] Lucky
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

Hi Folks.

Probably most of you, who record songs had some, that just would sound bad, no matter how much time you spend on them. Well, this is a perfect example of it from my collection smile Actually it is one of the first tunes I made using mighty BIAB. Initial problem is obvious. I exported RTs FX heavy, did not save the project properly and unfortunately do not even know which tracks I used. I had idea for a kids song, but not sure what came of it, some kind of soup smile Constructive suggestions are always welcomed. Thank you for giving this time. Misha.

Lucky

Lyrics:
Run, my bunny, run like the wind
Hungry hawk is spreading shiny wings
Shelter is nowhere to be found
Scared heart is ready to fall out

Heavy dark storm clouds filled the sky
Bringing pounding rain
Drove the savage hawk away
And the cotton tail got to hay.

Hide my fawn deep in the woods
Hunters scouting with their hounds
Sending tremor from their boots
To the needle covered ground.

Gust of wind and icy hale
Snapping oaks and pines
Gloomy hunters packed and turned back home
Leaving frightened fawn behind.

Keep your head up my boy don’t cry
Dry your tears in the wind
Night will pass, sun will rise
Birds will start to sing.

#518772 - 01/18/19 09:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
Nothing wrong with that one Misha.
I like it.
Personally I'd move the intro flute to centre and the outro organ there as well.
One thing - if aimed at kids ---fawn is pronounced forn.
Cool stuff as usual.

Edited by rayc (01/19/19 03:10 AM)

#518782 - 01/19/19 12:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: France
Chris37 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: France
Hi Misha,
Your song is pleasant to listen.
I like particularly the melodic line. Christian

#518860 - 01/19/19 08:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Misha,

"...sound bad, no matter how much time you spend on them"

You and I must be listening to different songs - because THIS sounds really good!!

The bass is clean and punchy. The acoustic guitar is at the right level and clear, light, airy... the drums are at the right level, too. The flute is a welcome addition... And the vocal is well placed. All good!

(Also... another addition to your insect/animal Broadway show!! smile )

fj

#518940 - 01/19/19 01:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
I wonder why songs which uplift one's spirit are considered "children's songs"?
This is a wonderful uplifting song of hope for all...
Nicely written & recorded... I wouldn't suggest any changes.

Edited by Jim (01/19/19 02:02 PM)
Edit Reason: grammar error... who me... no not me ;))

#518943 - 01/19/19 01:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Nice track in its own right, you sounded a bit unsure or nervy in your vocals it made it sound weaker than it should be.

However a nice instrumental story.

Thanks

#518993 - 01/19/19 03:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Veteran

Ray, good thoughts! Thank you for listening and a nice tip!

Christian, Thank you!

FJ, Thank you for your support, Mix is not horrible, but I feel it is a giant step back for me as far as mixing goes. Seems it is way too dynamic, in part because it was exported with fx from BIAB. I have to dig out a hard drive of old computer, maybe SGU is still alive and that way I can re-do this better. You comment about my future insect/animal show made my day smile

Jim, I think Janice & Bud have this wonderful motto at the bottom of their profile: "Never grow up...it's a trap." We are all children, some are just more stubborn than others. Thank you for listening and kind words.

Beatmaster, interesting observation! I can not reply right away, I got to give it some thought. Thank you for listening!

#518997 - 01/19/19 04:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Well

Probably most of you, who record songs had some, that just would sound bad, no matter how much time you spend on them. Well, this is a perfect example of it from my collection Actually it is one of the first tunes I made using mighty BIAB.

That is probably why. now you know if you had just went for it then my comment would not have been feasible NOW WOULD IT ?.

Lesson learned ..Just go for it !!.

Thanks

#518998 - 01/19/19 04:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Misha,

The lyrics are wildly colourful and drew me in right away. Your vocal sounds a little different from recent posts, but "in character".
The backing sounds ok - I noticed the lack of those found sounds you have been using lately , and its maybe not as adventurous as the song deserves?
Its very enjoyable as is... and well worth working on if you decide to use it in that Broadway show!

Robert

#519014 - 01/19/19 05:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Hi Misha,

I actually think it is a rather nice and uplifting song - I don't see many problems here.

One thing you could try is to change the rhythm guitar to one that sounds a bit darker. It might compliment your voice a bit better.
But, actually, I am just writing this because you are unhappy with the sound. If I didn't know that, I would probably just have said "Good song" with no further comments.

Take care,
Will

#519175 - 01/20/19 12:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Misha,

"...sound bad, no matter how much time you spend on them"

You and I must be listening to different songs - because THIS sounds really good!!

The bass is clean and punchy. The acoustic guitar is at the right level and clear, light, airy... the drums are at the right level, too. The flute is a welcome addition... And the vocal is well placed. All good!

(Also... another addition to your insect/animal Broadway show!! smile )

fj

I agree!! Would love to make my songs sound that "bad". Very well done all around! Take care. Greg

#519206 - 01/20/19 02:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Expert

Loc: Central Ohio
Don't let anyone accuse you of hyping your work.
I was expecting something inferior. To the contrary,
you could build a powerful set around those comps
and never have to leave home. I thought it was very good.
Now the hard part, continuing to have something to say. That's the folk singers' challenge.
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --

#519210 - 01/20/19 02:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: United States
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: United States
Misha, I thought this was pretty good! The melody is very inviting! Your vocal sounds very similar to some of George Harrison's recordings! Thanks, Torrey

#519222 - 01/20/19 02:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Nashville Tennessee
Teletwanger Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Nashville Tennessee
Very tasty. Nice mood.

#519266 - 01/20/19 06:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Veteran

beatmaster, what I meant is that some songs come easy. Some do not. I am sure most of us struggle with tunes at some point. I struggled greatly with the quality of sound on this one. (10+ mixes and still sounds a bit like I sing in a barrel) I am not upset, I am just sharing my work, telling background story and hoping for some suggestions on improvements, which I got smile

Robert, Thank you for listening and for the tip! Good thinking! If I will re-do this song, will definitely add some textures.

Will, thank you! I might of over EQd guitar on high side, to make it brighter and probably did not considered vocals in equation smile

Greg, Thank you for listening and positive feedback!

Ed, Thank you! I am way passed the "hyping" stage smile Thank you for supportive comments!

Torrey, Thank you for kind words!

Teletwanger, Thank you for listening!

#519343 - 01/21/19 05:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lucky [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Dear Misha,

there's really nothing wrong with it - the word 'bad' would never have come to my mind as I listened to it.

Very nice, like Jim said: uplifting - lyrics, a real good melodic flow, along with your soft and sensitive voice: just good!

Don't put it back to where you found it, it deserves a place on the front shelf.

Cheers,

Stefan

PG Music News
The XPro & Xtra Styles PAKs Special Ends September 30th!

Amp up your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 experience when you add XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs... on sale until September 30th!

XPro Styles PAKs are styles that work with any version (Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition) of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). We offer 3 PAKs, and each PAK includes over 100 styles!

Xtra Styles PAKs are styles that work with the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). There are 13 PAKs available, with over 100 styles in each PAK!

They're all on sale only September 30th!
Each PAK can be purchased for $29 (reg. $49)... Order XPro Styles PAKS | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

How to: Using the New Download and Install Manager to Install on macOS

In this video we show you how to use the new Band-in-a-Box® Download And Install Manager to install Band-in-a-Box® 2022 on macOS: Installing Band-in-a-Box® On macOS Using The New Download And Install Manager

Learn more about this feature.

Special Offer! XPro Styles PAKs on sale until September 30, 2022!

XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 offers 300 more RealStyles to supercharge your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition! All of these styles are professionally mixed and include genres like jazz, country, bluegrass, pop, singer/songwriter, rock, and more. For you Pro and MegaPAK users, the XPro Styles PAK 3 also includes 35 additional RealTracks (a $200+ value) that are not included with the Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro or MegaPAK. XPro Styles PAKs are only $29 each (reg $49) until September 30th!

Learn more about XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: XPro Styles PAKs work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Special Offer! Save on Xtra Styles PAKs until September 30, 2022!

Until September 30th, save over 40% on our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 with over 2,200 RealStyles (and 35 MIDI Styles)! Each set is on sale for $29 or get them all in the Xtra Styles PAK 1-13 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)!

Expand your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with Xtra Styles PAKs! These Xtra Styles PAKs will add TONS of imaginative styles to your collection, spanning several genres like jazz, rock, bluegrass, country, pop, blues, singer/songwriter, and more! Every RealStyle is professionally mixed and uses a unique arrangement that has never been used by our previous styles. We have even included several MultiStyles that include up to ten substyles each for your advanced arrangements! Spend less time mixing and more time creating, with Xtra Styles PAKs!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: These Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2022. They won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the 2022 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

Endorsing Artist Nick Kellie is a long-time Band-in-a-Box® user - here's what he has to say about the program, along with some of his sessions demoing his use of Band-in-a-Box® backing tracks: Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

"Band-in-a-Box is an indispensable tool for any practicing musician. I can think of any chord progression imaginable and it can do it. It has helped me to hone my skills as a soloist and as a rhythm player."
- Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® User Tip - Generate a RealTracks Solo Using the Silence RealTrack Instead of Mute

Our Forums are full of enthusiastic and long time Band-in-a-Box® users, so it's no surprise when they post a handy tip for fellow program users.

Like this one, Generate a RealTracks Solo using the Silence RealTrack instead of Mute

What a time saving tip to share with everyone - thanks Charlie!

Interested reading other program tips, or share your own? Head to our Tips and Tricks forum to join in on the conversation.

Forum Stats
36558 Members
64 Forums
75762 Topics
667710 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
smithpick, jamit, UnconfuseU, yesiyens, banjojeff

36558 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 158
MarioD 92