Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#528493 - 03/12/19 06:27 PM [User Showcase] The Reckoning Time (with floyd)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

The Reckoning Time

Years ago we were immersed in traditional bluegrass and playing in a frequently gigging band (Janice on guitar and Bud on upright bass in those days). It’s been a long and fun journey to our current bluesy Americana productions but it’s also fun to get back in touch with our music roots. So here we have a redo of a song we recorded 25 years ago with the great Randy Howard.

Recently we had an opportunity to share some time with floyd during which I played some of our bluegrass for him including the original recording of this tune. He suggested I create a BiaB version of it which we did…and we asked him to join in on the vocals which he did. smile And for which we are most appreciative.

Gospel songs have always been part of the bluegrass repertoire and we performed many in our live performances. We rarely wrote during those days but we did attempt to write this, hopefully, “traditional sounding” bluegrass gospel song.

For this remake we used two different structures of bluegrass harmonies within the song and I did a lot of comping to try for a traditional bluegrass rhythm guitar sound with the obligatory guitar “g runs” and a bass track that pretty much duplicated what we played on the original.

Whether or not bluegrass is to your liking we appreciate your comments!

Janice: lead and harmony vocals / Nectar 2
floyd: counter point vocal (third verse) and harmony vocals / Nectar 2
Bass: RT 592 is the basis with individual notes comped from RT 1393 for the walk up and down sections Logic Pro EQ / Waves Bass Rider / Waves CLA Bass
Guitar: RT 593 “G Runs” comped in from previous project / Waves CLA Unplugged
Fiddle Rhythm chops: RT 593 / Waves CLA Unplugged
Mandolin Rhythm chops: RT 599 / Waves CLA Unplugged
Fiddle Solos: Comped from multiple regens of RTs 596/2032 / Neutron 2 / EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim
Mandolin Solo: RT 820 / Waves CLA Unplugged

#528505 - 03/12/19 10:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Janice & Bud (and Floyd):

What a nice sounding tune—generally I’m not a follower of bluegrass, but this has all the elements that attract me to a song: great melody, sweet, clean harmonies, and terrific instrumentation and backing. A total toe-tapper, this one. And terrific vox throughout. Outstanding!

My regards to you all,

Deej

#528508 - 03/12/19 11:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Janice, Bud and Floyd !:))

What a wonderful tune, that
tune can´t but put a smile
on everyone´s face !:))
Add to it that everything is
so professionally done as
it just can be , singing, harmonizing,
mixing, and , well, everything !!!
and it gives me great joy to listen
to !

Thank you all for this wonderful co-op !:))

Cheers
Dani

#528517 - 03/13/19 03:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi guys,

I know nothing about bluegrass, but this sounds good to me! Cool song.

Always a pleasure to hear Janice do her thing, and floyd is sounding good too.

Mix sounds good through the phones, Bud, and always interesting to read your production notes. I needed to google "G runs", never heard that term before! Learn something new every day smile

Good stuff guys and gal, enjoyed the listen!

#528520 - 03/13/19 04:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice Bud & floyd

You've done a superb job getting a wonderful sound. Looks like lots of comping there has resulted in a great track, and Janice sounds wonderful, loved the harmonies and Janice & floyd together always sound brilliant.

Top job on the production Bud leading to a terrific project and collaboration.

Peter

#528539 - 03/13/19 06:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Deej56]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Janice & Bud (and Floyd):

What a nice sounding tune—generally I’m not a follower of bluegrass, but this has all the elements that attract me to a song: great melody, sweet, clean harmonies, and terrific instrumentation and backing. A total toe-tapper, this one. And terrific vox throughout. Outstanding!

My regards to you all,

Deej

Thanks! We appreciate that particularly from one who doesn’t follow the genre. Thanks for listening and taking time to comment.

J&B

#528541 - 03/13/19 06:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work on this! Loving the classic bluegrass vibe on this. It flows perfectly, and as always the vocals are stunning. The harmonies are really smooth, and I thought it was perfectly catchy.

Thanks for sharing smile

#528545 - 03/13/19 06:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Janice & Bud / FJ
Nice collaboration. Very strong structure. Great harmony with FJ!and canon vocals. Janice, I am a fan of your voice!
Listening, I was very sure that some parts were played live smile Very good production and smart use of BIAB.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#528554 - 03/13/19 07:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: dani48]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Janice, Bud and Floyd !:))

What a wonderful tune, that
tune can´t but put a smile
on everyone´s face !:))
Add to it that everything is
so professionally done as
it just can be , singing, harmonizing,
mixing, and , well, everything !!!
and it gives me great joy to listen
to !

Thank you all for this wonderful co-op !:))

Cheers
Dani

Dani, we thank you and even more for mentioning the harmony!

J&B

#528565 - 03/13/19 08:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Man, oh man. oh man...
I love it...
I stand in awe...
The three of you know how to bake & ice a sonic cake...
Whew!

#528575 - 03/13/19 09:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Well done Janice, Bud, and Floyd! I admired the overall vibe on this. The arrangement is a pleasure to listen to and the mix sounds well polished too. Thanks for sharing!

#528586 - 03/13/19 09:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Unbelievably good!!!

feels and sounds very authentic to me

awesome, super vocals

excellent write

worth many listens,

enjoyed,

Kenny

#528620 - 03/13/19 01:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi guys,

I know nothing about bluegrass, but this sounds good to me! Cool song.

Always a pleasure to hear Janice do her thing, and floyd is sounding good too.

Mix sounds good through the phones, Bud, and always interesting to read your production notes. I needed to google "G runs", never heard that term before! Learn something new every day smile

Good stuff guys and gal, enjoyed the listen!

Yeah, the FIRST thing you learn with bluegrass guitar is that run and then a zillion chord change runs. A great BG guitar picker once told me it him a year to learn the runs and 20 years to learn when not to do them! Thanks!

J&B

#528636 - 03/13/19 03:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This song has a lovely flow to it and, as always, the vocals are fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

#528644 - 03/13/19 03:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Wow, you three, this is truly sublime.

A remarkable sound in all ways and on all levels.

Love it. And I DO love bluegrass. So I was happy.

Also, glad to all hear y'all three finally got saved.

I was worried there for a while. I hope Floyd did not corrupt you too much on the visit.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#528661 - 03/13/19 06:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
This genre is one that I know close to nothing about - I can just say that I really enjoyed listening to the song. I think the vocal performances sounded really good in my ears and I admire all the talent that the three of you have!

Will

#528679 - 03/14/19 04:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: PeterF]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice Bud & floyd

You've done a superb job getting a wonderful sound. Looks like lots of comping there has resulted in a great track, and Janice sounds wonderful, loved the harmonies and Janice & floyd together always sound brilliant.

Top job on the production Bud leading to a terrific project and collaboration.

Peter

Thanks Peter for listening and the great review. Now back to the blues!

J&B

#528745 - 03/14/19 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
WOW!! Lots of fun!! You guys have really captured the elements of that style...Could be on the Oh Brother, Where art thou soundtrack. Great job by all involved. Cool!!! Take care. Greg

#528794 - 03/14/19 06:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work on this! Loving the classic bluegrass vibe on this. It flows perfectly, and as always the vocals are stunning. The harmonies are really smooth, and I thought it was perfectly catchy.

Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks for saying that Deryk. The classic bluegrass vibe is exactly what we were looking for!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Janice & Bud / FJ
Nice collaboration. Very strong structure. Great harmony with FJ!and canon vocals. Janice, I am a fan of your voice!
Listening, I was very sure that some parts were played live smile Very good production and smart use of BIAB.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks and we much appreciate you noting the live feel!

#528838 - 03/15/19 09:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) [Re: Jim]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim
Man, oh man. oh man...
I love it...
I stand in awe...
The three of you know how to bake & ice a sonic cake...
Whew!

That was thoughtful and greatly appreciated!

J&B

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 - RealCharts for all RealDrums!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2021, we added over 300 additional RealCharts (with accurate Drum Notation and MIDI to trigger drum sounds) for RealDrums.

That's right... this means that now ALL the RealDrums have RealCharts!

With RealCharts, you can use the notation for MIDI drum parts too - great for copying to a Utility Track!
(Watch this video for a full demonstration of Utility Tracks.)

Learn more about RealCharts for RealDrums with drum notation.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Feature: Utility Tracks

Have you ever wanted to use more than 5 tracks when creating your Band-in-a-Box® song? Great news.... with the new Utility Tracks added in Band-in-a-Box® 2021, there are 16 more tracks!

These can be used for audio and/or MIDI! Generate RealTracks to the Utility Tracks where you can listen to AND edit them and view the RealCharts as MIDI. You can also record to these tracks (MIDI or audio), and import your audio for further editing or to harmonize it.

We explain all the great ways to use the Utility Tracks in this video.

Read more about this feature: Windows | Mac.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac Review – Users' Dreams Come True

Read all about what "Dr. Dave" Walker thinks of his latest copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac with his review, Band-in-a-Box for Mac 2021 – Users' Dreams Come True.

"2021 is a big leap forward to the best Band-in-a-Box for Mac yet! If you have been putting off upgrading, or even if not, NOW is the time to upgrade! And if you haven't got it yet, you owe it to yourself to get Band-in-a-Box 2021.

Maybe the most important point from all the talk about this version is that PG Music is listening to you, their customers. So if you have a feature that you really want in the program, write to them or chat from their web site. Let them know and yours just might be the next feature added."
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thanks again Dr. Dave for your enthusiastic feedback, we're thrilled that you love what we've done with Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 German for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 für Mac ist hier!

Wir waren fleißig und haben 80 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 202 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI-SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums Transkriptionen, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 umd 11, und vieles mehr!

Was ist neu? | Paket

Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Mac Special - ENDS TODAY (July 15th)

It's the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac special!

Save up to 50% on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac upgrades and receive a FREE Bonus PAK, but only if you place your order before 11:59pm PDT TODAY (July 15, 2021)!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac at: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

The FREE Bonus PAK & 49-PAK are packed with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2021 packages, but for even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you have any questions, contact us -we're here to help!

Xtra Styles PAK 11 - Special Ends on Thursday!

Our Xtra Styles PAKs Special ENDS at 11:59pm PDT on July 15th!

We think you'll love the new RealStyles and MultiStyles added with Xtra Styles PAK 11, which includes new sounds like modern reggaeton, medieval-inspired folk pop, Americana power ballad, speakeasy vocal jazz, R&B and reggae fusion, and more!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 11 Demos for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

Order during our special and save 40%! During our Xtra Styles PAK 11 special (ending July 15th), all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-11 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? Until July 15th, you can purchase our complete library of all 1,800+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-11 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Interested in a specific genre? These can be purchased for $15 each - pick & choose here.

NOTE: Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition version 2020 or 2021. (Xtra Styles PAK 11 requires the 2021 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition.) Xtra Styles PAKs won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Learn more & listen to demos of Xtra Styles PAK 11.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac Special - Ends Thursday!

It's almost over! Our Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac special ends this Thursday (July 15th)!

Save up to 50% on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac upgrades and receive a FREE Bonus PAK, but only if you place your order before 11:59pm PDT Thursday (July 15, 2021)!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac at: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

The FREE Bonus PAK & 49-PAK are packed with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2021 packages, but for even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you have any questions, contact us -we're here to help!

Forum Stats
34664 Members
66 Forums
70170 Topics
605431 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
SaberTooth21, 3456789, Bagmanoz, willrobinson, Percy Butler

34663 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 124
MarioD 121