You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#530290 - 03/26/19 12:06 PM [User Showcase] World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland
Phil Babylon Offline
Apprentice

Hi all.

I'm afraid I'm only an occasional poster on this site.

I principally use BIAB these days for creating music for theatre productions. I'm presently working on composing songs and incidental pieces for a new large outdoor production of Alice In Wonderland.

This is a demo of the song which may start the show off, with Alice (not me!) singing it.

All comments gladly welcomed!

https://soundcloud.com/phil-babylon/world-of-wonder

The lyric:
All my life I've longed to be
Somewhere where adventure
Waits round every corner for me
And every night
In my dreams I see
A lovely world of wonder
Where my heart always longs to be

What's the use of books
That just have words
But don't have pictures?
They don't hold much interest for me
What I want
Are books that help me see
The lovely world of wonder

It may be savage and strange,
Wild and untamed
But I wouldn't be scared
Once I was there

'Cos all my life I've longed to be
Somewhere where adventure
Waits round every corner for me
And every night
In my dreams I see

Copyright Phil Sculthorpe 2019

#530314 - 03/26/19 02:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Phil,
Nice composition and singing! Everything sits well and very balanced to my ears. Would be fun to listen to "Alice" sing it. Please re-post when/if you will have it.

P.S. Alice In Wonderland was one of my favorite novels in younger years. Only in my twenties I discovered that Lewis Carroll was also a brilliant photographer.

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#530318 - 03/26/19 03:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia

"What's the use of books That just have words But don't have pictures?"

What a great line. Love the words pictures you paint Phil. Really enjoyed the melody and fine production.
looking forward to hearing more from you. Rob

#530326 - 03/26/19 05:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass are some of my all-time favourite books. This was definitely a very interesting take on Alice's story. I've always associated those stories with darker (but still whimsical) elements with the human psyche, so it was neat to hear a more upbeat version of Alice's story, even if it was filled with wanderlust.

Thanks for sharing.

#530361 - 03/27/19 02:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Phil Babylon Offline
Apprentice

Thanks...yeah wanderlusty whimsy is what the Director wanted! For the start, at least. It gets a bit darker later!

Edited by Phil Babylon (03/27/19 02:44 AM)

#530394 - 03/27/19 08:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Deryk - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Really well done! I thought it sounded really lush and interesting. A really engaging listen, and your vocals on this are incredible.

Thanks for sharing smile

#530420 - 03/27/19 12:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Phil Babylon Offline
Apprentice

Deryk - thank you

#530426 - 03/27/19 12:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Catherine Offline
PG Music Staff

Thanks for sharing Phil! I am also a huge fan of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. I thoroughly enjoyed the composition and the lyrics.

#530430 - 03/27/19 01:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Phil,

A nice show tune. Sounds good.

fj

#530459 - 03/27/19 05:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi Phil, very good production all around.

Mike B.

#530573 - 03/28/19 10:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Sounds like it going to be a good start for the show...
I assume your other entries on SoundCloud are also part of the production...
It sounds like it will be an interesting play to see...
Since this forum consists of international members...
Who will be the lucky ones to get the chance to see this theatrical production of Alice In Wonderland?

#530669 - 03/29/19 03:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Jim]
Phil Babylon Offline
Apprentice

Hi Jim...
The production is in the UK. In the North East. The production company takes over the grounds of a large 19th century house (that is now a museum) and builds an outdoor sound stage every summer. Yes, the other compositions on the Soundcloud page are bits and pieces in development for the show. As things stand most items will be sung live to backing tracks, though we're working on doing some stuff totally live or, if necessary, partly pre-recorded. Trying to work out the technicals at the moment. Most of our actors aren't great with head mikes but - since they're a Shakespeare-based company - they do know how to project in the open air!

#530711 - 03/29/19 11:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Jim Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Phil Babylon
Hi Jim...
The production is in the UK. In the North East. The production company takes over the grounds of a large 19th century house (that is now a museum) and builds an outdoor sound stage every summer. Yes, the other compositions on the Soundcloud page are bits and pieces in development for the show. As things stand most items will be sung live to backing tracks, though we're working on doing some stuff totally live or, if necessary, partly pre-recorded. Trying to work out the technicals at the moment. Most of our actors aren't great with head mikes but - since they're a Shakespeare-based company - they do know how to project in the open air!

It sounds like it will be a wonderful presentation...
Good luck in your endeavors.

Edited by Jim (03/29/19 11:03 AM)
Edit Reason: This idiot hit the wrong button at the wrong time.

#530754 - 03/29/19 05:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi Phil, thank you for sharing this! I found this very easy to listen and a solid key signature choice too. Fantastic work on the vocals. Keep it up!

#530907 - 03/31/19 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool song. Love show pieces. Cool lyrics and vocal. Well done

#531071 - 04/01/19 02:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: World Of Wonder ~ from an original production of Alice In Wonderland [Re: Phil Babylon]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Phil,

Now this is something different - very nice! Much enjoyed.

Bob

PG Music News
The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker can show information for up to 60,000 song files and can be customized to point to any folder on your computer, allowing easy access to your own song files or Band-in-a-Box® demo files!

Once you've chosen your folder and rebuilt your list, you are able to filter the list, adjust the width of the columns, see the chord sheet within the SongPicker Window, and more! The filter feature is incredibly specific too - you can even filter by Songs with Custom Chord Progression!

Read more about the SongPicker: Windows | Mac.

We created a video explaining the SongPicker using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - check it out!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® Transpose From .. To .. Tutorial

Make sure you check out our latest video if you want to see how to transpose a portion of your song! Click here to watch...

Learn even more about transposing within Band-in-a-Box with our online manual: Windows | Mac.

The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Video - How to Transpose a Region of a Band-in-a-Box® Song

Want to learn how to transpose just one chorus of your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Check out our latest video, shared to the I want a video that shows me how to... forum: https://youtu.be/XiMrgtQ7u14

Forum Stats
33063 Members
68 Forums
66600 Topics
566631 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Evert, Mihika010, pagodadogs, Juan romero, Gpredator

33063 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Janice & Bud 146
Planobilly 134