Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I made two versions of my new song called 'We Are'. I made it this weeks.
And I put the links of both to SoundCloud in this post.

https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/we-are-metal
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/we-are-funk

But I must warn you, it's not for the faint of heart. I haven't heard Metalsongs on this forum before, so therefore I use this title.
And I als have to make a confession: I never thought I would make a Metal-song. I don't realy like it. But BB has these styles included so I had to try them.
Both versions use the style Mighty, but with complete different instruments. The tempo is 95.

I was inspired by an article about the release of a single from a group called Rammstein; Deutchland
Although I don't like that music, it did something to me.
And so I made these two version of a song concerning the Dutch, but with a big wink.
It is in no way my intention to make some sort of Nationalistic song! That's why included topics in the lyrics to prefent Nationalists to use this song.

The metalversion nearly costed me my voice, but to my surprise people who listened to it, liked it!
I also included some Dutch sentences in the song. I like trying new things and this was one of them.
Let me hear what you think.
If I hear a great silence from you all, I have an answer.

The lyrics:
(They diver a littlebit in the two versions)
We Are
(c) HWBerkhout, april 2019

From out of nowhere we came and stayed
We had the best boats that were ever made
We created windmills that grind so swell
And wooden shoes that fit all well

Chorus 1
Come meet the Dutch
You'll love us
God made the world
We did our own

Chorus 2
Our place is small
But we need no wall
We are the kind
You never find

Chorus 3
We are the Dutch
But don't [*****] with us
We make our world
Were we belong

Dutch:
Nederland ligt onder water
We kunnen allemaal goed zwemmen
Dat is iets voor later...
(The Netherlands lay below sealevel,
but we can all swim well.
That's something for later...)

We invented the microscope,
Discovered much land.
South Africa, Indonesia and even New York were in our hand
We have the dykes to keep dry feet
We sell our paitings to those who need

Now we have HipHop and partydrugs
We dance on beat while smoke our weed
We blow our mind, to stay at ease
And don't forget, we have our cheese

Bridge
We don't wanna spend much money on armour
We give away our flowers to the pope each Easter
And we travel so much!

Ch 1
Dutch:
We hebben mooie steden, die zijn echt 'in'
Ook een koning en Argentijnse koningin
Ooit was de koning Napoleon's broer
Nu is het een 'echte' Hollandse boer
(We have nice cities, that are so populair.
ALso a king, and an Argentinian queen
Once our king was Napoleons' brother,
Now we have a 'real' Dutch farmer)

Solo

Ch 1
Ch 3
+
We are the Dutch
But we talk so much
Yes, we talk too much

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Big fun. Soundcloud went down here before I could hear the funk version. I'll try later.

You have a good metal voice. The songwriting is solid and the backing believable. Here's hoping your feet stay dry for a long time to come.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

Your lyric is wonderfully funny!
"We blow our mind, to stay at ease
And don't forget, we have our cheese"

HA! Good lines through the whole thing...

I liked the metal version best. Nice use of BIAB.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well that was certainly different! Some definite attitude and very cool lines...

Metal and Funk...the power of BiaB in talented hands.

We listened to both...has your voice recovered? smile

Fun experimentation!

J&B

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I really liked both versions of the song. Not sure I could pick a favourite. Thanks for posting them on the forum to share with us.

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Tangmo, Floyd, Janice and Bud,

Thanks for your comments. And you certainly don't belong to the faint of heart!
Floyd, you mentioned a few lines my son was complaining about. He said that you don't say it like that in English. I disagreed and you proved I was right. Thanks for that as well.
And Tangmo, you have convinced me to continue making Metal songs (...)
Janice and Bud, read what Tangmo said. No, it was an attack on my voice, but it's alright now. Only the funkversion I will record again. The voices in the chorus were not so clear.

Did you like the Dutch lines in the songs? I hesitated a bit about it, as wel as sending that Metal song to the BB-forum (cost me a lot of followers, I'm afraid).

While writing this I am enjoying the song 'Missed the message' from Janice and Bud ( 3rd time it's playing now). Although an 'oldie' I liked the song, the build up, the choir, but most of all that bluesy voice.
I can't make those songs. It's that voice...

Bye,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi thanks Ember!

I was writing a reply and saw your post after sending my reply.
But now you also belong to the brave ones.

Cheers!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Nice composition...
Both seem to sound pleasing to my ears, but...
You made me do some homework...
I had to find & listen to your reference...
Deutchland by Rammstein...
Then I had to find a translation of the lyrics...
Whew...
Their video looked & sounded menacing but...
The lyric translation seemed quite innocuous...
Anyway I enjoyed listening to your songs & my excursion smile...
Thanks!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the compliments and your investigation efforts.

But I didn't try to copy that Rammstein song. It only inspired me to sing about the Dutch and do this in a Metal way. Later on I also did the Funk version, 'cause I prefer that style above Metal. But Rammstein is a Metalbased group.
I was afraid your investigation would have led to the claim that I was incorrect about the Dutch merits, or that my translation of the Dutch lines in the lyric was wrong ;-)
But this was not the case, I noticed.

Rammstein was afraid their song could be 'hyjacked' by rightwing populists, so they did something with the images of their video and the lyrics to counter that. And I made my lyrics more humourous for the same reasons.

But what did your investigations learned you as well?

Thanks,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
You got the cheese!

Metal is not my thing, but this was very cool! I like your humor. Production is top notch. Vocals sit very well in both of versions! You figured it out! Funk version is very original and experimental sounds unique. Very creative lyrics. I sincerely believe you done excellent job on both.

The only critical point I will make on these, is Funky version is a bit bassy...instruments, not voice. I have very neutral, open back headphones and bass leaks a little.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loved the metal version. Super backtrack. BIAB laid down a very cool backtrack. Guitars were very well done..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Lots of fun man!

Head bangin'

smile

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the compliments and your investigation efforts.

But I didn't try to copy that Rammstein song. It only inspired me to sing about the Dutch and do this in a Metal way. Later on I also did the Funk version, 'cause I prefer that style above Metal. But Rammstein is a Metalbased group.
I was afraid your investigation would have led to the claim that I was incorrect about the Dutch merits, or that my translation of the Dutch lines in the lyric was wrong ;-)
But this was not the case, I noticed.

Rammstein was afraid their song could be 'hyjacked' by rightwing populists, so they did something with the images of their video and the lyrics to counter that. And I made my lyrics more humourous for the same reasons.

But what did your investigations learned you as well?

Thanks,
Hans

To be honest, I had never heard of them nor have I listened to or seen their videos...
So it was a learning experience for me just to see who they are...

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a big fat sound you have going on here. Really liked how the bass stood out on the intro.
Very clever write, very entertaining. Rob

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
LOTS of attitude here!! And lots of volume...the light on my audio interface stayed red almost the whole time! Very cool composition. Nice to hear some metal here. Great job!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Rob and Greg,

Thanks very much for your reviews! It was nice to read how you put it here. But Greg, I carefully watched my audio interface while making / mixing and mastering this song. It was only somewhat red. You have exaggerated a bit, I think.
But I'm afraid I won't make much Metal the coming time. It's my throat...

Nice weekend,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,177
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185