Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#534824 04/30/19 12:19 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

I was away from this forum for a (little) while. But it looks booming now. Lots of new stuff from all creative persons. BB definitely meets a need, that's for sure!
But... I'm not only posting a compliment to BB, I'm posting a new song I made in the time I was 'offline'.
It's called Forlorn. The link: https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/forlorn

That title sounds nearly the same as the Dutch word 'Verloren', and they have the same meaning: you can feel forlorn if a sad event happens and you're not getting a grip on it.
This song is quite the opposite of my former song which was Metal ('We are'). But to me that's perfectly normal.

The style is HOWCOME, but I used some other instruments, e.g. the sologuitar is realtracknr. 2603, and in the DAW I worked with my keyboard as well.
I hesitated a bit about adding the backgroundchoir, so I made two versions of the song. But the majority of people who listened to these versions prefered the choirversion, so that's what you'll hear.

The lyrics:
Forlorn
(c) HWBerkhout, april 2019

Can I find words to make you feel at ease?
Is there a place that gives you peace?
I heard you whisper about us in the past
Your voice so softly, but I got it at last

Is there a song you would love to hear?
And will it take away your fear?
You were always my rock that made me feel so save
But time has no mercy. Although you're so brave

How come that live will never last?
What does it matter when we meet our past?
Where are the answers if there's nothing to say?
So, what will matters at the end of our day?

Is there a time we can meet again?
I hope you wave if you see me then
I can't see you're moving, nor hear your voice
You are now ready, You made your choice

How come that thoughts refused to stay?
What does it matter anyway?
We're only tourists. We never stay
So, what will matters at the end of our day

Your spirit left when Time enters our door
Only tears keep runing, while you no more
Then I could not contain
Time always reign

How come that thoughts always fly away?
What does it matter anyway?
Where are the answers when words refused to stay?
But will it matters at the end of our day?

Where are the answers
when words fly away
Only memories
last longer, they say

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good song!

Good writing, lots of good lines, and I like your vocal, nice tone.

Not crazy about the guitar solo to be honest, I didn't think it fit the mood of the song. Something more melodic might have worked better IMHO.

But that didn't take away from my enjoyment of the song, very nice indeed!

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nicely done smile Some great progressions here, and your vocals have a nice tone to it. Nicely catchy as well - definitely a bit of an earworm.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Great work on this Birchwood! The different elements really glue well together and I really dug the chord progression. The vocals harmonize well with the other instruments!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Another good song Hans...
I think it would be perfect soundtrack for a video...
I also like the effects you put on your vocal...
It sounded really good!
I agree with Dave on the guitar solo...
To my ears it just seemed out of place with the mood of the song...
However, I did enjoy listening to creativity...
Good job!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"How come that live will never last?
What does it matter when we meet our past?
Where are the answers if there's nothing to say?
So, what will matters at the end of our day?"

Nice write and vocal performance. Really like the above lines!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
Really nice song. Seems like you put a lot of effort and creativity in it!
Acoustically very pleasant to the ear, and your mixing improved level up.

You take critique well, so here goes my 3 cents:
I like everything in this tune except for two things.
1)I agree with Dave that guitar solo could be something else...or quieter?
2)I like choir except for last (4:25) instance. I think it could benefit, if it is higher or different octave.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I really like what you did with the style. Great choice. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A lot to like here, good song, good singer. The harmonies in the chorus had an edge to them, perhaps intentional, but I was expecting something softer. The choir that came later was nice. Good work, all told.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
A very natural progression and voice drew me in. I liked the harmonies and the frequent breaks and changes in the groove. Kept things interesting. Well put-together.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks all, for the nice words and also the critics.
I learn from it and it makes me feel good, reading your comments.
And... I listened to the critics about my choice of that sologuitar! The reason I chose it was that this sound symbolized the feeling of 'forlornness'(if that's a proper word) and a sweet sounding solo does not.
A concept of the song I had send to some friends. The (close) majority liked the one in the song. The others said exactly the same as some of you. To them I didn't listen. Till now.
I will change it.

And Misha, your critic nr 2: I had the choir ending higher, but changed it, because it felt a bit too sweet. I think your right though, but I don't want to listen to you now ;-)

Oh and Janice and Bud, so nice what you said about the lyrics. I like writing. But I need images in my head. If I have them, the words come out easily. But I realise all the time writing in native English is a goal I probably won't reach.

So thanks again,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice work Hans! Loved the vocal on this! You did a great job putting the backtrack together! It's a really good song! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice melody, catchy chorus. I like the tone in your voice, represents well the sadness of the lyrics. The guitar solo didn't distract me.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
As promised, I changed the solopart.

I also changed some other small things like adding a -muted- funkguitar and lifting -a bit- the last note of the choir (I did listen after all, Misha!), but that's it. Its not my habbit to change all my songs, although it appears to be like that, looking back to my last 3 songs. But at least I listen to you all!

And thanks Torrey and Janne for your nice comments. And Janne, about that sologuitar... sorry it changed into a saxophone :-)

https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/forlorn

Bye,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Listening to the new version as I type...
I'm not fussed on the ahhhs/choir.
The beginning of many sung phrases has a sort of aggressive crack to it - could be the compressor struggling to capture the transient.
The melody is nice though the repeated upward swing at the end of lines becomes a little unnerving at times. as is the sr5idency added by the backing vocals in the last sections of the song.
The "false rhymes" are OK - given what rap has done to pop but
"You were always my rock that made me feel so save
But time has no mercy. Although you're so brave" bogged me.
I assume it should be ....safe and ....brave.
All of that aside it's a lovely narrative and arrangement.
Well done.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

There is some great writing here... Good mix and vocals.

Keep it up!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ai Ray, that came in, but that's what this forum is for. Giving feedback.
And yes, I hesistated about that choir as well, as I said in one of my posts before.
But the majority found it nice, even your friend Misha.

I didn't hear that crack you mentioned. I'll check it later again. Today I've heard the song too much.
And abouth my upward swing I hadn't noticed till you mentioned it. I was more busy with getting the two recordings of my voice align properly.
And yes, these lines were false rhymes, but because of the speed of singing I chose to do it like I did. Otherwise the words would sound too made up.

Thanks for your remarks, but read what Bob Dean has to say ;-) (this is a joke)
But thanks Bob!

Bye,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Ai Ray, that came in, but that's what this forum is for. Giving feedback.
And yes, I hesistated about that choir as well, as I said in one of my posts before.
But the majority found it nice, even your friend Misha.

I didn't hear that crack you mentioned. I'll check it later again. Today I've heard the song too much.
And abouth my upward swing I hadn't noticed till you mentioned it. I was more busy with getting the two recordings of my voice align properly.
And yes, these lines were false rhymes, but because of the speed of singing I chose to do it like I did. Otherwise the words would sound too made up.

Thanks for your remarks, but read what Bob Dean has to say ;-) (this is a joke)
But thanks Bob!

Bye,
Hans

Hello Bob,
Hello Hans,
I offered so much commentary because the song is good and your progress has been rapid. I want you to remember to take time to consider things and make the most of the songs.
False rhymes are popular and work really well in most instances - most writers use them.
The "crack" is a quirk of compression or voice or both and it may be that my headphones ad sound card contributed to it but, to my ears, it was there so worth mentioning. I do reckon that you should sing "safe" rather than "save" as it is a false rhyme that will work in terms of syntax.
Most people on the forum are kind, generous and benevolent. Most folk on the forum want to present their stuff to be listened to and enjoyed. sadly I've spent time on forums that have trained me to listen critically and to offer constructive commentary before offering praise - ying and yang packages I suppose.
I've been told to leave off or go away by a few people who don't want any commentary and I've done just that for those individuals. Decades of writing reports on academic and social progress have instilled in me the use and value of the General Comment Sandwich.
You are doing fab work, I simply think you could do even more so.
Nah, I'm also a curmudgeon - but rarely actually cranky.

Last edited by rayc; 05/03/19 03:43 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
The sax works very well.

The backing vocals in the first chorus are a bit hot, not by much, a dB or two is all.

I find that holds and shots and transitions are often tough to get right with BiaB. You've got a couple that are rather rough. When that happens to me I usually end up re-working the BiaB version to avoid them.

This is a solid song and a good production.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Olemon and Ray,

Thanks for your nice, bright comments. And I really appreciate it if one can give real reactions (criticism and compliments).
I believe that's also what this forum is meant for.
If we only can write nice things, we don't learn. As long as we write critically in a nice way, of course.

But Ray, what in heavens name is 'curmudgeon'? I could not translate that word.

Nice weekend,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,611
Posts735,067
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185