You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#536818 - 05/15/19 12:45 PM [Off-Topic] Can I run a mixer/preamp with no load on one channel?
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

I know in the vacuum tube (valve) days this was a no-no, but solid state doesn't have output transformers to fry (I think).

So can I run a preamp/mixer like a Samson MPL1204 with a powered speaker on one channel and no load on the other without harming the Samson?

I'm figure someone around her must know.

Thanks,
Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#536823 - 05/15/19 01:42 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Can I run a mixer/preamp with no load on one channel? [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Sure. The output of that is line level, with a balanced line as an option. About 1 volt.

What you are probably thinking of is a power amp with no load, and yes, that’s trouble. But a signal only on one side of a mixer is fine. It’s normal for mono-only.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#536828 - 05/15/19 02:47 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Can I run a mixer/preamp with no load on one channel? [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Yes
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#536838 - 05/15/19 04:05 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Can I run a mixer/preamp with no load on one channel? [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Thanks.

We got some gigs doing realtor sales parties in model homes. They want quiet music and they love us. The models will be furnished so we will have to be compact. One less speaker is a good thing.

The parties are only 2 hours, and they pay well, even after agent commission. I'll probably leave the guitar at home and cover those parts on the wind synth.

And yes, I might be thinking power amp, and back in the vacuum tube days when there was a giant transformer to heat up. It's been a long, long time since I took those electronics classes, and just about everything has changed since then - mostly for the better.

Back in the old days, we either had a sound man, or someone else in the group ran the sound. I was lucky and had chord and harmony skills. Now that I'm in a duo, I have to learn to do everybody's job. But that's OK. Little by little I get smarter and smarter about different aspects of this making music business.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove

#536860 - 05/15/19 05:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Can I run a mixer/preamp with no load on one channel? [Re: Notes Norton]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

I have some experience with doing it wrong. I had a Peavey power amp, modest with only 200 watts per channel. I only needed one channel / one speaker. Ok, so why not just connect an 8 ohm, 2 watt resistor across the other side speaker terminal to balance the load?

After about two seconds at zero volume, that resistor lit up like an incandescent bulb! I switched off the power as the smell began to reach my nose.

I’m still not sure why it didn’t work, but hey.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#536863 - 05/15/19 07:10 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Can I run a mixer/preamp with no load on one channel? [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I have some experience with doing it wrong. I had a Peavey power amp, modest with only 200 watts per channel. I only needed one channel / one speaker. Ok, so why not just connect an 8 ohm, 2 watt resistor across the other side speaker terminal to balance the load?

After about two seconds at zero volume, that resistor lit up like an incandescent bulb! I switched off the power as the smell began to reach my nose.

I’m still not sure why it didn’t work, but hey.

You would need a thumping big resistor to take up the power (wire wound) There are devices made to pad out the speakers. (These are not all that expensive). They essentially look like 8 ohm or whatever speakers to the power amp. It seems the go is non-inductive wire wound resistors to the correct wattage and impedance.

Edited to talk about pads and resistor type. Removed a link that probably makes little sense in this context.

Tony

Edited by Teunis (05/15/19 10:20 PM)

#536910 - 05/16/19 06:05 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Can I run a mixer/preamp with no load on one channel? [Re: Notes Norton]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Yes, thanks. This was 30 years ago, long before the powered speakers and iPad-controlled mixers I use now.

#537058 - 05/17/19 06:06 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Can I run a mixer/preamp with no load on one channel? [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Things have changed since I started gigging. I remember tube PA amps, 'voice of the theater' speaker cabinets (didn't they weigh 2 tons each?), tape echo on the PA, B-3 organs (didn't they weigh 3 tons each?), and no stage monitors. Times have gotten better for musicians who have to set up their own gear.

But there were good things about those days. Every hotel from a Holiday in up, every singles club, and every medium to upscale lounge had a live band playing at least 6 nights a week. It was easy for young musicians who hadn't quite cut their musical teeth yet to get gigs. Today's musicians don't have the opportunities that we had.

I got an e-mail back from my repair-guy, who took a week off for fishing, and he confirmed that I don't need a load. He said power amps still need a load, but not preamps. Since my power amps are in my speaker cabinets, I have nothing to worry about.

You all are as good as my repair-guy, and much quicker laugh

Thanks again.

We had a gig in a realtor party in model home grand opening yesterday. The builder hosted it, and real estate salesmen and saleswomen from about 30 to 70 years old crammed the place for the free food and a chance to win a few prizes. We were stuffed in a corner of the 'great room' and heard the "You guys are awesome" dozens of times, and when it was over, the same comment from the person who hired us (through an agency).

They asked us to conserve space, so we left the guitars home, covered those parts on synthesizers and only brought one speaker. It was for only 2 hours so we could pick and choose which songs we could cover those parts with, and it paid more than our normal Saturday night rate, so we wen't home happy.

They said they will ask for us on the next party.

Still livin' the dream

Insights and incites by Notes

#537140 - 05/17/19 05:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Can I run a mixer/preamp with no load on one channel? [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Quote:
Still livin' the dream

Glad to hear it, Notes .. you've worked hard for it, though it probably doesn't seem like work.
That's the real goal; do what you love (and make $$) and it doesn't feel like work.
Sounds like you got there long ago. smile

PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29893 Members
61 Forums
59252 Topics
500107 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Rob4321, ElliottF, English77, envo99, AxelS

29893 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 144
Janice & Bud 137