Index
#537057 - 05/17/19 06:01 AM [User Showcase] Stranger in my House
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Online   content
Journeyman

https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/stranger-in-my-house

Hi everyone,

It took me a while, but here I am with a new song 'Stranger in my house'. Just before the weekend!
In this song I used two styles: Dryad and Doomed. Both had a cello in it, but that is about the only thing they have in common. It was a bit a challenge to combine them, but not so much as working with the backgroundvocals. That took me some time to get that right, although I'm sure it can be improved. But that will be a challenge for a new song.
The melody has two parts, a soft one and one more heavy. That symbolizes the mood of the singer...

I changed some instruments in the Dryad-style. The drums are bluesRockFunk, there is a synthesizer included as well as a piano and a fiddle. I haven't changed any instruments in the Doomedstyle.
The lyrics are about someone seeing a stranger in his house, wearing his clothes and more, but read for yourself.

I hope you enjoy the song.
Let me know, and don't be shy on critics. I can learn from it.

Hans Berkhout

Lyrics:
Stranger in my house
(c) HWBerkhout, mei 2019

I have a stranger in my house
He's wearing my blouse
Yes, there is a stranger in my space
But not someone you would embrace

All I know
I have a stranger that won't go
He doesn't smile, looks so hurt
and never say one word

I saw a stranger in my clothes
I wonder how he knows
I never seen him before
or maybe I ignored

He shares his live with me
That happened suddenly
In the bathroom I first met him
He's always there when I come in

All I know
and never say one word

I can't believe
why he doesn't leave
In the mirror I can clearly see his face
Further more he leaves no trace

Why is that stranger in my house?
He looks familiar, a bit like me
but I'm sure that cannot be

All I know
and never say one word

I can't believe
why he doesn't leave
Than one day I realized
Why he entered my light

'cause he is the image of my heart
My mirror showed it me right from the start
All the time that stranger, it was me
But it took some time to see

#537075 - 05/17/19 07:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nicely done smile Really catchy with a great groove. Really interesting lyrics that really catch the ears too. Definitely a memorable tune.

Thanks for sharing!

#537089 - 05/17/19 10:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Great song...
Something I can definitely relate too smile
About the only critical helpful input I can make is ...
perhaps slowly fade out that wonderful strumming on the ending.

#537090 - 05/17/19 10:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
A clever lyric Hans, with a catchy choice of instruments and chord changes. I like the gradual build from wistful into something heavier, reflecting the anxiety in the lyric. Nice job!

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#537120 - 05/17/19 01:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Great melancholy lyric with a hint of eeriness -- well done!

It's obvious that a lot of thought and effort went into the vocals and the result is a very effective and strong delivery of the lyric.

Thanks for the background info on the mashup of the two styles. That's one of the things we love about BiaB...styles, no styles, mixed styles or just pick and choose and it can all work for you.

This is a big production that sounds BIG on our monitors!

We enjoyed the listens...a lot.

J&B

#537130 - 05/17/19 04:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Hi Hans,

That is a truly great song and composition. I think the music compliments the lyrics in a close to perfect way - and your vocal performance is just awesome!

I really enjoyed listening to this. Thanks for sharing!

Will

#537138 - 05/17/19 04:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Having a random stranger in your house is one of my biggest fears, but having that stranger being you I think is a more frightening concept (you as in ... myself, not you as in you who posted the song, haha!).

This song was thought provoking. Thanks for sharing.

#537146 - 05/17/19 07:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

Hans,
Very cool song! As far as composition, lyrics and vocals.. there is nothing to say, except for good things.
I enjoyed it very much!

I see that you dedicated a lot of EQ spectrum for vocals on higher side. I am a learner myself, so do not listen to me too much smile Just an opinion, on your "Forlorn" vocals sound much fuller.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#537148 - 05/17/19 07:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hans,

This is a fantastic listen.

Your writing and your singing are awesome and your arranging and production are the icing on a really terrific cake of musical creativity. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Soundcloud.

A superb listen!

All the best,
Noel

#537190 - 05/18/19 07:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Very nice work on this Hans! A great choice of instruments that are mixed well! I like the build up of instrumentation as the song goes along! A great set of lyrics and vocals! Thanks, Torrey

#537208 - 05/18/19 09:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hello Birchwood, this was wonderful! The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and rhythm is easy to follow. The vocals harmonize well with the other instruments. Thanks for sharing! smile

#537272 - 05/19/19 04:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Journeyman

Thanks Deryk, Jim, John, Janice and Bud, Will, Ember, Misha, Noel, Torrey and Joe for your very nice replies. They really made my day. There was a big smile on my face after reading your remarks.

Ember, it was such relief to read you were not thinking of me as an unwanted stranger...

It was my son who thought it was a bit sad that Jim recognized the text personally. I told him that is what life experience does to us. And it makes you that nice person you must be, Jim :-)

And Noel, have I told you your voice reminds me of Robin Gibb from the BeeGees? If I try to sing like Barry Gibb, we can make wonderful songs, while all the others help with a cool melody and backgroundvocals? Or am I asking too much now?

Bye,
Hans

#537307 - 05/19/19 10:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Hans,

This is my favorite song from you. I love the build and vocal power.

Great mix as well. Excellent!

Bob

#537310 - 05/19/19 10:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Super arrangement, love how it builds and builds

I have a stranger in my house
He's wearing my blouse

I thought this story was gonna get a little weird cause

around here it's blouses for females and shirts for guys,

no matter, i enjoyed the write, it does have a eeriness

like a slow slide into madness

great vocals,

I really enjoyed this!

Kenny

#537315 - 05/19/19 11:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Journeyman

Hi Bob and Kenny,

Kenny, Ray told me about that Blouse-issue. I didn't know that, but I could have known. In Dutch it's nearly the same. But there was no good word rhyming on 'House' in this case. And there must be boys/men wearing blouses, don't you think? Me too!
But sure, there is some madness hidden in this song. When you can't accept your real ME, he will stay a stranger (in your house). And getting older sucks a bit...

And Rob, I'm pleased to read that you don't mind about that blouse. Thanks for your compliments! It could be that I may replace the version of this song, because of the 'little help'from Ray. I made some grammar mistakes and sang the song again today with the correct words. Still have to mix and master it again.

But thanks a lot for your nice comments on my song,
Hans

#537344 - 05/19/19 05:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stranger in my House [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Hans,
REALLY cool arrangement and mix.
Blouse was a general word for a peasant or loose shirt until after the 1820s or so.
It then transformed into a loose shirt for women and children before, finally, becoming the feminine version of shirt and the buttons moving to the other side.
Excellent narrative.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

PG Music News
DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Holiday Hours - Canada Day (July 1, 2020)

We are celebrating Canada Day on Wednesday, July 1st - but we're still here!

Our Customer Service hours that day are adjusted to:

Wednesday, July 1: 8am-4pm PDT

Regular Hours resume Thursday, July 2nd.
www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

They are on sale until June 30th - time is running out!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

#TipTuesday Band-in-a-Box® Online Manuals - An Excellent Resource!

The Band-in-a-Box® program manuals are available on our Support page - what an excellent online resource to help you get the most out of the program!

Head to our Support | Online Manuals page and you'll have access to both a PDF and an online program manual for Band-in-a-Box® 2018-2020 and RealBand 2018-2020!

Bookmark www.pgmusic.com/manuals/ today!

Review - Xtra Styles PAK 9 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

Remember that wonderful review of Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac we received last month from "Dr. Dave" Walker, Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac … WOW!?

Well, Dr. Dave is at it again! He's had a chance to work with the newest Xtra Styles PAK 9, and shares his thoughts in his recent Xtra Styles PAK 9 for Band-in-a-Box 2020 – Worth It? post at Dr. Dave On Music - make sure you check it out!

Sneak peak...
...PG Music has gone deeper into several styles, using more or fewer instruments, adding unexpected ones, and giving some surprising make-overs. Others are more focused versions of particular styles with more extreme attention to the best of that genre. Other ones combine styles that sound great, such as adding a banjo to a rock or blues track, or a jazz sax to a folk style. There are many wonderful combinations to try out that will expand any songwriter or arranger’s palette. These are the things that make certain songs stand out, and experimenting with them is not just fun (a lot of fun!) but it will expand your horizons on what is possible and even excellent. For instance, my light jazz arrangement worked very well as a country song, which floored me, and also as a folk-alt-jazz fusion. One sax solo was worth the price of admission alone, as it sounds terrific in any of the arrangements.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Again we say, "Thank you for the review Dr. Dave!" - we really enjoyed reading this enthusiastic review!

Forum Stats
32415 Members
68 Forums
65008 Topics
550745 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
rmg471, folkum, RickC, Brian56, montytwo

32414 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 176
Jim Fogle 145