Options
Index
#537443 - 05/20/19 04:12 PM [RealBand] AUTO-TUNE and QUANTIZING
Loc: West Virginia
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Hi guys,

Two quick questions. There's no quantizing of audio in RB, correct? I'm comfortable in RB though I realize other DAWs are more powerful. Not trying to create anything crazy, it would just be nice to make minor time corrections.

Secondly, I use RB's TC Helicon to generate harmony from audio rather than MIDI and it does a nice job. It can't, however, auto-tune as my TC Helicon VoiceLive Play can, correct? I'm looking at the Antares Access.

Thanks!

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist, Writer, Singer

"I have my ship and all her flags are a-flyin'
She is all that I have left and music is her name"

#537446 - 05/20/19 04:24 PM [RealBand] Re: AUTO-TUNE and QUANTIZING [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

The TC in RealBand can auto tune based on a MIDI track, but it does transform the audio into one with some artifacts. I prefer to auto tune first using Melodyne, then using the TC-Helicon to do the harmony.

LaptopBeast HP Win7Pro64, 8GB
AudioBeast ASUS Win10Pro64, 16GB
VideoBeast HP Win10Pro64, 8GB

UMC404HD/Casio Kbds/BB-RB2019/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
http://www.sus4chord.com

#537450 - 05/20/19 04:41 PM [RealBand] Re: AUTO-TUNE and QUANTIZING [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Quote:
There's no quantizing of audio in RB, correct?

Not a good one natively that I know of, but you can work the other way (adjust the Tempo map to match the Audio using the ACW) so then MIDI will match the audio tempo
Actually I'm not really sure what 'quantize Audio' means to you though ..

Quote:
Secondly, I use RB's TC Helicon to generate harmony from audio rather than MIDI and it does a nice job. It can't, however, auto-tune as my TC Helicon VoiceLive Play can, correct? I'm looking at the Antares Access.

Yeah, tuning isn't one of the TCHelicon plugin's fortes, unless you give it a direct MIDI track .. there are a couple free tuning FX you could try to find, like GSnap, but an Anteres product would likely be better or maybe Melodyne. (GSnap is an old VST so as always be careful you get a safe source to download from. GVST was the original source as I recall)

Many times I still lean toward my old OBTune (an old Anteres variation by Oberheim) .. doubt you'd even find that anymore though.
There are likely ways to record your hardware VoiceLive unit back into the project also, which may be even better.

#537467 - 05/20/19 06:37 PM [RealBand] Re: AUTO-TUNE and QUANTIZING [Re: Warren Keller]
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Thanks guys! I tried GSnap and couldn't get any good result out of it? It was recognized OK by RB and opened fine but wasn't pulling notes up to pitch (that were maybe 20-25 cents off pitch) before artifacts were introduced? Will probably get Antares Access. Rharv, by 'quantize Audio' I meant being able to adjust/move timing in audio recordings of horns or whatever to a grid as you can in Logic? Thanks always!

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist, Writer, Singer

"I have my ship and all her flags are a-flyin'
She is all that I have left and music is her name"

#537509 - 05/21/19 06:13 AM [RealBand] Re: AUTO-TUNE and QUANTIZING [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
To me a home record is has no need for auto tune. I assume if someone is making a CD then they should be able to sing. Just keep signing over and over to different tracks then copy/paste all the good parts to one track. If you just can't get a note then use auto tune on that one small section.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#537511 - 05/21/19 06:35 AM [RealBand] Re: AUTO-TUNE and QUANTIZING [Re: Warren Keller]
jford Offline
Veteran

I like OB-Tune, as well, but it is limited as a 32-bit DXi plugin. Unfortunately, it is (and hasn't been for a long time) available any more.

I've tried GSnap, but like Warren, I was not satisfied with the results.

Melodyne does a great job, but it also generates some weird artifacts at times. I have not had great success using it live on a track; I usually offload the WAV file and use the standalone, set the parameters to bring everything more or less into tune, but not 100%, and then edit note by note as needed. That makes the end result less robotic.

LaptopBeast HP Win7Pro64, 8GB
AudioBeast ASUS Win10Pro64, 16GB
VideoBeast HP Win10Pro64, 8GB

UMC404HD/Casio Kbds/BB-RB2019/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
http://www.sus4chord.com

PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29897 Members
61 Forums
59278 Topics
500312 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JIMJ, Barry Lup, Liza2019, WGE, Duderanch

29897 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 144
Janice & Bud 134