heading out to face another day
   i seldom know what it's all about
   i'm just prayin'
   we'll figure it out

i don't know what's supposed to follow next
just making it up as i go

The BAND:
RealTracks in song: 1418:Bass, Electric, SouthernRock Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 3186:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticSongwriterQuinn Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 2444:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Background PopCountryBrent Ev 085
RealDrums [in Song:PopModernGrooveSync16^1-a:Snare on 4, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Royalty free loops (from Studio One)

harmonies: Janice Merritt

As always... Huge Thanks to J&B!!!

Thanks for listening.
Comments always welcome.
Have at it.

fj

#539716 - 06/06/19 06:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Excellent!

Vocal is top notch, great tone and nice phrasing.

Tight harmonies! Janice always sounds so good.

I dig that baritone guitar with the tremolo, great sound and a cool line it is playing, and those drums sound awesome.

Ending was unexpected but cool.

Another nice one, floyd!

Blue Attitude Website

#539719 - 06/06/19 07:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: england
Biglad Offline
Journeyman

Loc: england
another chicken dinner Fj winner winner.great production as always ,sparse but full sound ,how do you do that .love the harmonies and vocal.Drums are top notch.great write thanks.keep em coming.

#539720 - 06/06/19 07:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
Strangely, this is the second time that I signed on to find you posted a song only minutes ago. I love that because if it's been up for an hour, I feel like I'm the 100th person to reply. wink

Anyway, this song is perfection. I'm not kidding. I seriously wouldn't even have a suggestion of something different to try.

First when I see FJ and J&B before even hearing the song...I know my chance of liking it are high. Really high. There is a chemistry there, no doubt. From writing, to backing, to mixing, to just everything that makes a song this damn good!

One specific thing I wanted to note, the delivery of the lyric is something I experience very rarely. For me, in the verses, it brought it to somewhere between hearing a conversation or story, to also emphasizing words by holding them out longer to give it more emotional lift. Then the chorus just sang! Wonderfully cohesive contrast! That's brilliance to me. What an absolutely cool effect.

Something I touch on lightly now and then, but here I'm going to go further. Drums. Those are some of the best drums I've heard on here. Not just one element, ALL of them. The processing and production are killer. But, man...I am a sucker for those ghost notes on the snare. It's all locked in with all of the other instruments so well that I would be impressed hearing it and not knowing at all that "drummer" wasn't in the room playing along. AND I would have thought he was doing the song perfect justice. I'm not sure if you took different parts and copy/pasted but the breaks in the chorus were EXACTLY as they should be. I'm seriously impressed by the treatment of the drums!

Love, love, love this song!

Edited by HearToLearn (06/06/19 07:23 AM)
(Author Known)

#539723 - 06/06/19 07:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nicely done! Really catchy, and your vocals are stunning. The harmonies on the chorus knock it out of the park for me. Really good lyrics on it too - it comes across as sincere and heartfelt.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile

#539727 - 06/06/19 07:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Floyd,

This song is awesome! Love the sentiment in the lyrics and your vocal. A perfect selection of tracks as well for the band.

Great harmony by Janice - it's become such a classic sound within your music.

For my money, "Figure It Out" rises to the top of your already well stocked catalog it's just so good.

Bob

#539731 - 06/06/19 08:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Sounds like you got this one all figured out. Nice work. Very pro sounding on the mix.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#539741 - 06/06/19 10:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Your 1 to 6m chord changes really give your new tune a lot of clout...
IMHO Very catchy... Like a hook...
You have another talented write on this one...
I enjoyed listening to your song & ...
Of course, Janice's lovely harmonies.

#539756 - 06/06/19 11:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

Terrific relaxed vocal (matched by the peerless harmonies- mixed just right).
I enjoy the alt country style ,especially that muted rhythm guitar.
Super drum sound... is that where the loops are?
Very solid write, performance & production!

Robert

#539763 - 06/06/19 01:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
WOW!!! Really captures the essence of the human condition in a way that is simple but deep!! I'm reminded of a Todd Rundgren lyric "We're all homeless boys and girls, and we are never heard". That line, like many in this song, strikes at the core of how vulnerable we can feel at times. Love the musical change in the chorus which kind of lightens it a bit....don't know where I'm going, but.....I'm going...carry on. The vocal is rich and warm, and ......PERFECT (aided nicely by our forum queen!!). Great stuff FJ!!! Take care. Greg

#539772 - 06/06/19 03:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd

Certainly nailed that one! Lovely mix - sounded like you were in the room singing.
Great set of lyrics, wonderful harmony by Janice, some tasty guitar parts, and an excellent vocal.
I'm running out of superlatives.

Peter

#539792 - 06/06/19 04:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent!

Vocal is top notch, great tone and nice phrasing.

Tight harmonies! Janice always sounds so good.

I dig that baritone guitar with the tremolo, great sound and a cool line it is playing, and those drums sound awesome.

Ending was unexpected but cool.

Another nice one, floyd!

Dave - as always, thanks for weighing in on my efforts... we are SO fortunate to have the many amazing RealTracks available to us to realize our vision of our music. Those baritone guitars are so versatile and so "supportive"!! (like the cello - they fit almost everything!)

The RealDrum track is a miracle track. So perfect. I've said before... the program is worth the price JUST for the drums... amazing stuff.

Of course, my copy of BIAB comes with a "Janice doing harmonies" RT. You have to pay extra for that (and it is PRICELESS). smile

#539795 - 06/06/19 04:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
The vocals on this are really great!

#539821 - 06/06/19 08:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
As already mentioned, there's a very laid back an conversational vibe to this song. Your vocals always sell me on the song - they feel effortless and honest.

I love the baritone guitar.

The arrangement is lean without sounding like anything is missing, and the mix is crystal clear. Nice.

Maybe PGMusic will offer the _JANICE_BGV RealTracks in the 2020 release. wink

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#539826 - 06/06/19 09:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

FJ & Janice,
Nice, easy listener! Vocals and production are excellent.
Lyrics reads as a poem. I actually read the lyrics first and then followed with music smile
I liked that:
"I don't know if you love me
so I pretend not to care
in my heart I have to admit
I'd be lost if you weren't here"

Tremolo guitar was cool touch. I liked the ending too.
Janice was nice and loud on this, but personally, I think her vocals are a little dry. Maybe I am hallucinating.. smile

Thank you for sharing,

Misha.

#539831 - 06/07/19 03:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Tangmo Offline
Journeyman

Usually when I listen to/hear a country song (at least one that doesn't on the surface have anything to "say" beyond trucks, bars, and rowdy friends) I can only sense a "message" about relationships and all that goes with that. Nothing wrong with any of that. But that's as far as the song will carry me (right or wrong).

What you've done here, though, while it retains meaning to a relationship and is couched in those familiar relationship "tropes", opens up to a universe of implied and applied meaning. Part of the time I joined the song as a father. Part of the time as a citizen. Part of the time as a man who has faith, even if he lacks religion. And the rest of the time in the cracks and overlap between those things.

I can't know for sure if that was your intention in the writing, but I can testify that this has been the result. Moved me. Thanks.
BIAB 2019 Audiophile. Windows 10. Former user of old version. Prefer creating while learning over learning before creating. Passable, intermediate level acoustic rhythm guitar player. Songwriter, lyricist, composer loving all styles.

#539833 - 06/07/19 03:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
As close to perfection as a country rock'n'ballad can get.
I do have ONE complaint though...
you wrote
"Been thinkin'..."
and I desperately wanted to hear that just before the 1st verse.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#539906 - 06/07/19 12:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: Biglad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Biglad
another chicken dinner Fj winner winner.great production as always ,sparse but full sound ,how do you do that .love the harmonies and vocal.Drums are top notch.great write thanks.keep em coming.

Thanks, John. Good to have you drop by... (make mine KFC!!! Original recipe)

#539915 - 06/07/19 02:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hey there Floyd, I admired the overall vibe on this. The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the vibe is very appealing. Fantastic work on the vocals. Well done!

#539962 - 06/07/19 08:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Figure It Out [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Maryland
Love the baritone guitar, not just the sound but how you used it. And, of course, you always sound like radio gold.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® in 11 Languages!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows available in languages other than English? It's true - we have 10 other languages available for Band-in-a-Box® 2019! Head to www.bandinabox.com and you'll see a list of all our language options! This list can also be accessed by clicking on the "English EN" near the top right corner of our website.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows language options:
Danish | Dutch | French | German | Italian | Polish | Portuguese | Russian | Spanish | Swedish

Already have the English version, and want a different language? Reach out to our Customer Service Team with your request and you'll be running your preferred language in no time at all!

Forum Stats
29755 Members
60 Forums
58777 Topics
495971 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
HPW, Velvet, William Sterling, Stewedin, lindagriffithh

29755 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 141
Matt Finley 129