Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#541333 - 06/17/19 12:36 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] How can I get a better sound from the MIDI styles?
Loc: Sydney, Australia
berntd Offline
Enthusiast

New user...

The MIDI styles sound mostly dreadful. I mean the sound of the instruments.

I tried few things like loading realtracks for them etc. But I really have not had much luck so far with impro ing the sound.

What is one supposed to with all those MIDI styles to make the sound better?

Regards
Bernt

Edited by berntd (06/17/19 07:55 PM)

#541334 - 06/17/19 12:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Bern,

MIDI is a series of programming commands that plays MIDI-compatible instruments and software synthesisers.

The quality of the output of MIDI totally depends on the quality of the instrument or software being used to play the files. BIAB's MIDI styles can sound excellent when top class software synthesisers are used.

The software synth that BIAB ships with is just a starter synth that's used to get an idea of how the style sounds. Synthesisers such as Kontakt, are superb... but they cost a lot too.

Regards,
Noel

#541337 - 06/17/19 01:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Hi Bernt,

Noel has answered exactly what the issue you are experiencing is. It is related to the external MIDI sound module that is reproducing the audio sounds from the MIDI data commands coming from BiaB.

Replace the MIDI sound module with one of higher quality and your sounds would definitely improve.

What sound module are you using?

Do you have VSTi/DXi checked in the MIDI/Audio Drivers setup options, and have chosen a software synth (see image below)? If so, which one?

Attachments
2019-06-17_18-30-38.jpg

BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#541340 - 06/17/19 02:07 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

As above, it's not the styles. MIDI actually has no sound of its own. In addition to a software MIDI synthesizer, you can use a hardware one (mine is from Roland; see my signature below). There are many to choose from, of greatly varying quality and price.

Go to this page for a lot of info and samples: https://www.pgmusic.com/dare-to-compare.htm Pick a style you like and compare. The page is a little old; some of the choices aren't viable anymore, but it will give you a great introduction to the topic. MIDI can sound very fine.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#541349 - 06/17/19 02:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: fr
Willy6996 Offline

Loc: fr
Using a good sf2 can sound better.
Try Titanic free soundfont it's better than the modules on the page wink

I use Samplelord so i can load any soundfont on any midi-chanel.

Edited by Willy6996 (06/17/19 03:04 AM)

#541354 - 06/17/19 03:21 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: Eilat, Israel
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: berntd
New user...

The MIDI styles sound mostly dreadful. I mean the sound of the instruments.

I tried few things like loading realtracks for them etc. But I really have not had much luck so far with impro ing the sound.

What is one supposed to with all those MIDI styles to make the sound better?

Regards
Bernt

Welcome, Berntd :-)

First of all, I'd like to point out that MIDI, and the thinks you can do with it in BiaB and RB is absolutely astounding in so may ways, and one of their greatest strengths.

As has already been pointed out, MIDI is NOT sound. There are VSTis (Kontakt, East West are just two publishers that issue excellent ones) that turn tracks from the awful sounds you get from the default DXI/Coyote and even the Sforzando player into lush full blown orchestras horn sections and what have you.

Although the analogy is a bit wonky, you can think of it like one of those paint-by-numbers cardboard slates that you then populate with brilliant colors.

Check out these 2 videos to get you started on how to load and work with VST(i)s/plugins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVRtQz8nqvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexjietWWhc
Band-in-a-Box 2019 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

#541355 - 06/17/19 03:22 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

You might be able to get Native-Instruments Komplete Start to work ok. This has a heap of virtual instruments. Or look at Amplesound’s free bass and guitar (not as good as the paid for jobs but are ok). There are any amount of free sampled pianos and the like out there. Also many synths where one can create almost anything they want.

Just a thought

Tony

#541358 - 06/17/19 03:42 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
berntd Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks.I will check it out.

Can I not just sample my real accoustic piano for example?

I know that MIDI is just a code but I am also confused between a realtrack that I can load for a MIDI instrument track, and super MIDI track.

Also, for getting around this issue, I looked into a Yamaha CDP-125 digital piano for MIDI reproduction.

They now only have USB MIDI and nobody so far jas been able to tell me if that is compatible with MIDI as in BIB.

Edited by berntd (06/17/19 03:46 AM)

#541359 - 06/17/19 03:53 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: berntd
Thanks.I will check it out.

Can I not just sample my real accoustic piano for example?

I know that MIDI is just a code but I am also confused between a realtrack that I can load for a MIDI instrument track, and super MIDI track.

Also, for getting around this issue, I looked into a Yamaha CDP-125 digital piano for MIDI reproduction.

They now only have USB MIDI and nobody so far jas been able to tell me if that is compatible with MIDI as in BIB.

The short answer to your first question is yes. You can construct an instrument based on your samples in, for instance, Kontakt. I would personally do it in Reaper using, IIRC because Iv'e never actually done but seen how it's done) with ReaSamplematic (is that what its called) and Megababy(?)

The difference between MIDI and MIDI Supertracks is that the former are kinda transposing, but static "pattern mappings" and the latter are basically RealTracks, recorded by real musicians rendered into, or recorded in, MIDI.
Band-in-a-Box 2019 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

#541360 - 06/17/19 04:01 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Sampling a piano (or any instrument) is very possible but not necessarily very easy. First you need to record the device. For best results every 3rd or so note. The notes need to be recorded at the correct levels and for the correct length for each note. Then you might need another set for a note hit hard and another for a note played softly. Once you have all the notes you then need to create an SFZ or similar type file to play them and a player for the SFZ.

It is a lot easier to use samples professionally done. Having said that it is also good fun to have your own instrument sampled. Years ago I spent considerable time sampling my old Telecaster and actually used it to substitute a bit I could not get right in a song I recorded but I would probably not go down that path again. You may enjoy sampling however.

Tony

Edited by Teunis (06/17/19 04:03 AM)

#541362 - 06/17/19 04:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: Teunis]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Teunis
Sampling a piano (or any instrument) is very possible but not necessarily very easy. First you need to record the device. For best results every 3rd or so note. The notes need to be recorded at the correct levels and for the correct length for each note. Then you might need another set for a note hit hard and another for a note played softly. Once you have all the notes you then need to create an SFZ or similar type file to play them and a player for the SFZ.

It is a lot easier to use samples professionally done. Having said that it is also good fun to have your own instrument sampled. Years ago I spent considerable time sampling my old Telecaster and actually used it to substitute a bit I could not get right in a song I recorded but I would probably not go down that path again. You may enjoy sampling however.

Tony

Totally agree!

I good instrument will have hundreds (thousands) of samples for multiple velocity layers, round robins, pedal dynamics etc,... TBH, there are a number of excellent free MIDI pianos available online. A quick Google search for "Free piano VST" will get you started.

#541366 - 06/17/19 04:46 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Yes, a Yamaha digital piano connected by USB should be recognized by BIAB and usable to play MIDI.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#541367 - 06/17/19 05:22 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: Cornwall UK
Mike Head Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cornwall UK
Hi

As said above the midi styles are fine it depends on what midi device hardware or software that you play them through.
The basic Microsoft one GS wavetable synth is pretty grim
The supplied Coyote wave table will be a bit of an improvement. But it’s not the full answer as it is only a jacket for the Microsoft one to work as a vst I understand.

Many users on here use a Ketron SD2 this is a small hardware synth the size of a small pack of cigarettes and has quite a good sounding voice set.

SOFTWARE SOUND SYNTHS
Be aware not all of the software synths that folks mentioned here have a full General Midi set (GM). Kontak for example you have to choose a voice/patch for each track,
So make sure you chosen synth is GM compatible to just load and use the BIAB midi styles.

Then there are the sound font players have a look at this on my web site.

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/my_technical_articles2.html#Coolsoft_VirtualMidiSynth_Timbres_Of_Heaven_Soundfont__Sonar_instrument_def

Try the COOLSOFT sound font player and the “Timbres of Heaven” sound font. That’s some good midi sound !
Have fun
Mike

Edited by Mike Head (06/17/19 05:48 AM)

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/

#541374 - 06/17/19 06:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
2bSolo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Sometimes edited Real Tracks (samples) can sound a bit jerky. Sometimes you want to take one note out but you can't because it is played at the same time as another note. One good thing about midi is the ability to edit cleanly.

The other things you have to consider are what instruments will be midi, where will they be in the mix and how much you are willing to spend. I'm doing a project now that uses midi piano, organ and drums. They will be down "in the mix." But I won't use the midi bass, guitar or horns because I don't want to spend the money for the top-quality instruments. Also, the horns and guitars will be more prominent.

#541376 - 06/17/19 07:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: 2bSolo]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Virtually all of my songs in the showcase are MIDI so you might want to give a listen.

I will not repeat everything that already has been said but I will give you some free options for better MIDI sounds:
1-Get Coolsoft soundfont player and Timbres of Heaven soundfont as Mike suggested

2-Get the Free Kontakt player:

https://download.cnet.com/Kontakt-Player/3000-2170_4-10161711.html

And maybe some free Kontakt sounds to augment it:

https://www.productionmusiclive.com/blogs/news/top-10-free-kontakt-libraries

https://www.flstudiomusic.com/2017/03/38-best-free-kontakt-libraries.html

3-Get the free Sampletank 3:

https://getintopc.com/softwares/audio-processing/sampletank-vst-free-download/

Note that there are a lot of sounds for Kontakt but be very careful if you purchase some as some are for the full version of Kontakt only and will not play in the player. This is always marked on the sites so be sure to look for it.

Also note that there are tons of free soundfonts for any free soundfont player.

I would start with the soundfont player and add Kontakt and Sanpletank once you get the hang of MIDI.

If you need any help we are here for you so just ask.

Good luck.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#541397 - 06/17/19 10:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
GM (General Midi) was mentioned but I'll expand on it a bit. GM is an industry standard list of instruments. This is so midi files will play the same way on all systems. Patch one, piano is the same patch for everybody. This makes it very convenient but the quality of that sound depends on what GM synth you use. All Windows systems have a built in Wavetable GM synth. Since it's free you get what you pay for. Biab uses GM as the default so if you're using a GM synth all the instruments in a midi style will match up and you don't have to do anything. You hit Play and you hear the sounds.

Sounds great, right? Yes BUT...GM is also very limited. You get two acoustic piano's, Standard Grand and Bright. A commercial NON GM synth like Sampletank or Kontakt for example can have 40 pianos of all different types like German grands, Japanese grands, jazz pianos, rock pianos, uprights, etc. etc. It's the same for all instruments. For guitars you get a ton of different guitar types right down to the type of strings. GM can't give you any of that. You get a couple of generic guitars and that's it. If you're using a non GM synth all it means is you get to manually select which instrument you want to use, it's not simply plug and play like GM is.

Bob
Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

#541419 - 06/17/19 12:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Just as an aside, there is still time to edit and improve the post title to something like ‘How do I get better sound from MIDI styles?’ Prospective buyers read this forum, too.

#541435 - 06/17/19 01:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
+++ A Beginner's Guide To MIDI +++ is a 11:42 YouTube video that gives a very good overview of how midi works.

+++ HERE +++ is part 1 of a 3 part video series that provides a more comprehensive overview of midi.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#541471 - 06/17/19 04:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: Matt Finley]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Just as an aside, there is still time to edit and improve the post title to something like ‘How do I get better sound from MIDI styles?’ Prospective buyers read this forum, too.

Good point, Matt.

I PM'd the O/P with this suggestion also.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#541504 - 06/17/19 09:40 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: VideoTrack]
berntd Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Good point, Matt.

I PM'd the O/P with this suggestion also.

Acknowledged and changed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29895 Members
61 Forums
59266 Topics
500213 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
WGE, Duderanch, Rob4321, khai, ElliottF

29894 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 144
Janice & Bud 135