Options
Index
#542508 - 06/23/19 11:50 AM [User Showcase] The Tramline Of Life
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

The Tramline Of Life

Over 10 years ago, I had an idea to make a movie with my colleagues... only two trailers and some 4 minutes of movie was ever finished.... but I made couple of songs for its soundtrack. This is one of them, the story is combination of ideas from synchronicity (C.G. Jung) and 'tramology' ('sporalogia' in Finnish, parody of astrology invented by a Finnish sceptic Nils Mustelin - how trams affect city people with much greater gravity than distant planets etc.). Well, I understand if you can't figure out the lyrics, I can't remember what I was trying to say… but the journey is more important than the destination smile

Singing for me was bit challenging because of the high notes and fast pace rhythm - it was impossible to sing the verses on one take. I assume there are also some issues with stressing of the words. But I still hope you enjoy the tram travel laugh

RealDrums: SouthernPopSw16

RealTracks:
Acoustic bass #769
Electric Piano #906
Organ #425
Sax #457
Electric guitar #1037
Harmonica #???

MIDI: sitar+ocarina melody

Vocals by me

Mixed with Cakewalk by Bandlab

Lyrics:

Power in the cables
read your destiny
in the time tables.
You can't leave the trails
you can't even play
heads and tails.
The position of the car
on your birthday
tells what you are.
You can only go
from a station to another station
follow the bed of the eternal flow.

Trams in conjunction
the cathedral is rising
on the horizon
fate on the map
your destination
untangle the twines
read all the signs
on the tramline of life.

Tracks are not a mess
but a network of
consciousness
vehicles on a side street
and soulmates
share the same backseat.
Parallel grid pattern
on her palm there's a
line of saturn.
Joined by synchronicity
home waits at the terminal
or someone's just one stop serendipity.

[Chorus]

------
Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#542583 - 06/24/19 07:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very cool, Janne!

Nice composition and production, I like the way you bring in the various instruments.

Vocal also works very well I think.

Maybe my favorite of yours that I have heard so far, well done!

#542590 - 06/24/19 08:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
An interesting write with a very strong jazz feeling...
I can see how the song's tempo would make the vocals difficult...
But I think you did a very good job on them...
The backing tracks are excellent...
Do you have plans to merge your song to the video files you mentioned?

#542592 - 06/24/19 09:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hello jannesan, wowzers! Excellent mixdown on all of this and the instruments are layered nicely. Fantastic work on the vocals. Looking forward to hear more!

#542623 - 06/24/19 02:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
That is some cool music!!! The progression and melody are quite mesmerizing. The lyric works so well with the concept of the song, and with the music. I want to see the movie!! This is certainly one of my faves of yours (maybe #1). Love it!!! Take care. Greg

#542644 - 06/24/19 04:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What a tune - very enticing, and very unique. The sitar was an excellent touch. The song has a really cinematic and abstract feeling to it. Somehow, it managed to be dizzying yet addictive all the while.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

#542645 - 06/24/19 04:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Queensland, Australia
mkg50 (Mike G) Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Queensland, Australia
I love it when someone steps outside the box and puts something challenging and original on the forum.
This is really interesting and well worth a couple of listens. The choice of instruments worked well. I particularly liked the sitar echoing the tramlines. The sw16 drums worked a treat as well.
The slightly stilted vocal delivery added to the trippy journey.
Cheers,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172

#542651 - 06/24/19 05:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Janne,
Tasty stuff! Very interesting and unique write! Melody goes to very unsuspected places.
Perfect tune for aliens!

P.S. Sitar was a great choice.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#542742 - 06/25/19 01:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool song Janne. Loved the intro. Very intense. Well done

#542749 - 06/25/19 02:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Light & breezy satire!
The rim shots are REALLY prominent but all is is chill & well constructed.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#542814 - 06/25/19 08:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
very nice arrangement

flows beautifully

interesting and different

good vocals!

enjoyed,

Kenny

#542825 - 06/25/19 10:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janne

A nice sophisticated piece, very clever interesting composing, and the vocals work well.
Enjoyed.

Peter

#542841 - 06/26/19 02:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Janne,

This is a great piece. Love all the layers and textures.

Outstanding work!

Bob

#542891 - 06/26/19 08:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: BlueAttitude]
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very cool, Janne!
Nice composition and production, I like the way you bring in the various instruments.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your very kind words smile

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#542892 - 06/26/19 08:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: Jim]
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim
An interesting write with a very strong jazz feeling...
I can see how the song's tempo would make the vocals difficult...
But I think you did a very good job on them...
The backing tracks are excellent...
Do you have plans to merge your song to the video files you mentioned?

Thanks Jim for your positive feedback smile I have no plans to use this song on any old video clips, because they already have necessary songs, but I had some vision back then for the scene where this song could be used, maybe I should try to find the script…

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#542894 - 06/26/19 08:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: Joe -PG Music]
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hello jannesan, wowzers! Excellent mixdown on all of this and the instruments are layered nicely. Fantastic work on the vocals. Looking forward to hear more!

Thanks Joe for your positive words smile I'm especially glad you liked the vocals smile

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#542897 - 06/26/19 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Fantastic production. Constantly fresh. A very cool idea for a song and the pop-jazz backing is a prefect match. I know it must have been hard to sing/record...but it was worth it. Really good.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#542971 - 06/26/19 05:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Great work here Janne! I think I like this one better than anything I've heard of yours. I think you did an excellent job with the vocals on this! That jazzy chorus is beautiful and very original! Thanks, Torrey

#543174 - 06/28/19 06:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very cool, Janne!

Dave said just what I was thinking. This is very cool! Well mixed.

#543212 - 06/28/19 10:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Tramline Of Life [Re: Greg Johnson]
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
That is some cool music!!! The progression and melody are quite mesmerizing. The lyric works so well with the concept of the song, and with the music. I want to see the movie!! This is certainly one of my faves of yours (maybe #1). Love it!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg, always nice to read your kind feedback smile Glad to hear that also the lyrics worked well. Yeah, I wish I had resources to make that movie wink

I'm surprised you rate this song so high, I thought that the song structure AB-Long Solo-AB and the verse melody are not particulary interesting, so I almost wasn't going to showcase this one… but it is refreshing to read that people have different favorites smile

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Bar Settings

In Band-in-a-Box®, F5 or Edit | Settings for Current Bar will open up a new window allowing you to adjust the number of beats per bar, apply tempo changes and patch changes, or apply a different Style, and even choose harmony changes to your Band-in-a-Box® song!

Watch the video that explains this feature.

Read more about Bar Settings: Windows | Mac

A Look Back - Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac

In May 2009, we released Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac to the world, unleashing automatic REAL accompaniment to the MacIntel community!

This highly anticipated release brought with it RealTracks, RealDrums, the Audio Chord Wizard, Audio Rendering, MultiStyles, an updated GUI, and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2009 Introduction Video for a blast-from-the-past! Watch video...
(This is an easy-to-follow explanation of RealTracks & RealDrums that even a seasoned user will enjoy!)

We had also made a video highlighting the advanced features released with Version 2009: Watch now

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker can show information for up to 60,000 song files and can be customized to point to any folder on your computer, allowing easy access to your own song files or Band-in-a-Box® demo files!

Once you've chosen your folder and rebuilt your list, you are able to filter the list, adjust the width of the columns, see the chord sheet within the SongPicker Window, and more! The filter feature is incredibly specific too - you can even filter by Songs with Custom Chord Progression!

Read more about the SongPicker: Windows | Mac.

We created a video explaining the SongPicker using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - check it out!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® Transpose From .. To .. Tutorial

Make sure you check out our latest video if you want to see how to transpose a portion of your song! Click here to watch...

Learn even more about transposing within Band-in-a-Box with our online manual: Windows | Mac.

The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Forum Stats
33072 Members
68 Forums
66620 Topics
566829 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
chiefegod, guapeton, scrocco, semolinapilchard, ghyslain