Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#542763 - 06/25/19 03:24 PM [User Showcase] NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani)
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Hello forum friends. Been getting here more often lately and hearing a ton of great songs!! I have always been a big fan of Brian Wilson (and Dani, our forum's BW). This song seemed to go that direction melodically so I wrote it in that 60's style I'm so fond of.....still my favorite era. Hope you enjoy! Love "hearing" your comments! Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/summercomesalong

Summer Comes Along

You're that girl that I can't resist
Sometimes I wonder but you insist
That your hear belongs to me
That I hold that magic key

You hold me close when the cold wind blows
You hold my hand through the Winter snows
And your kisses keep me warm
As we shelter from the storm

But then Summer comes along
And you hear your favorite songs
I see the sun reflecting in your eyes
And you see those other guys
And it's not completely clear
If it will be me that's holding here
When Summer's gone
When Summer's gone away

I'm the guy who's been here with you
When those dark clouds would make you blue
When the season brings you down
Oh, you know I'll be around

I'll stay with you through the darkest night
And foolishly will believe in spite
Of everything you do
And you'll say you love me too

But then Summer comes...

#542767 - 06/25/19 03:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Greg, you never disappoint! What a great song and performance! This song will touch the heart of any listener who really listens! You touch on so many tender moments of years ago! Beautiful work Greg! Thanks, Torrey

#542787 - 06/25/19 05:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
I agree with Torrey - it is a wonderful and touching song. For me it is also a time travel back to the 70s (which is nice)... Very well done, Greg!

Will

#542789 - 06/25/19 05:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Excellent! What a great tune. Well done on the mix and vocals.
Rob

#542813 - 06/25/19 08:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Magic!

Anyone that can chanell Brian Wilson def has some magic

absolutely love the melody and changes

beautiful vocals

#542827 - 06/25/19 10:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Greg

Wonderful stuff - the songs just keep getting better on the forum.
Stunning vocal and melody, an excellent listen.
Brian Wilson would be happy with this one.

Peter

#542829 - 06/25/19 10:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Greatness throughout this one, def Wilson bros, this song needs to go back in a time machine to become the hit it is.

#542830 - 06/25/19 10:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Queensland, Australia
mkg50 (Mike G) Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Queensland, Australia
I'm getting good vibrations about this one Greg.
The song, the arrangement and the production are superb but your vocals are the real standout.
Cheers,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172

#542840 - 06/26/19 02:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Greg,

This is excellent! I love the song and the performance.

Outstanding arrangement and mix.

Thoroughly enjoyed!

Bob

#542847 - 06/26/19 03:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Greg, any appreciation of Big Brian is worth tuning into.
I'm extra pleased I did because the chorus is purely Sunshine.
You did a fabulous job with the harmonies and the arrangement.
SsssWonderful. Simply wonderful.

I wrote a tribute to BW a few years back. I recorded, initially, to tape and mixed in mono. I had to remix to stereo becasue a whole bundle of people got a little upset about the idea of me doing mono. WEIRD eh? The song referred to hearing in mono but taht went over their heads. Well, that was a different forum and a yonk ago.
Here's my BW track though - in stereo sadly...
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#542853 - 06/26/19 04:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nice!! Definitely has that 60's Beach Boys vibe happening. Special time for music!

Man, the way you handled the vocals ... very, very good indeed. And that chorus is outstanding!

Very, very good smile

#542876 - 06/26/19 07:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What an excellent summer tune Greg! Very much a throwback to the 60s. Well done!

#542888 - 06/26/19 08:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
Your aim has hit the mark. Brilliant production. Once again, vocally superb, love the harmonies. The 60s are my favorite era for music too.

#542890 - 06/26/19 08:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
The level of songs on this forum is rising higher and higher all the time. This is a perfect example, maybe the best ever, should be part of BIAB marketing campaign. Excellently produced summer tune with amazing vocals, so clean on the high register... and the backing vocals are so carefully made. Mix and arrangement are very radio friendly stuff. The melody and lyrics are pure 60's magic.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#542896 - 06/26/19 08:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

I've told you already what kind of sacrifices I'd make to have your range. Killer vocals and BGV.

"I see the sun reflecting in your eyes" is not only a vivid picture, the prosody here is excellent and fresh.

Was that ukelele playing those chords? Or banjo? Or high-strung guitar? Anyway, nice flavor.

Sweet, sweet summertime, summertime song.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#542901 - 06/26/19 09:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Greg,
Oh those are some sweet harmonies!
The melody and sunshiny message are pitch perfect for the style- very good!
Just had a thought/wish... to hear Greg and Dani singing up in the stratosphere together.

Robert

#542907 - 06/26/19 10:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Yeah, that has a solid Beach Boy's sound to it.

I think you nailed the 60's summer of peace and love feel.

nice.... was that a uke stumming..... dead on perfect call on that instrument in there.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#542910 - 06/26/19 10:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: england
Biglad Offline
Journeyman

Loc: england
Well done greg ,perfectly captured the sound and essence of the 60s.loved the harmonys and quality vocal and production
thank you

#542927 - 06/26/19 11:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
I loved the song from the start - as you said, that warm and gentle sound that Dani does so well.

I was wondering about the Brian Wilson references. But not for long, because I got to the chorus.

Oh, man - sooooo sweet. smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#542935 - 06/26/19 12:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Summer Comes Along (tribute to Brian Wilson and Dani) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
A nice well-done tribute...
One you should be proud of...
The verses seem to have a Burt Bacharach influence...
And when the chorus kicks in...
I'm hearing the Brian Wilson/Dani influence...
You done a great job on this one...
I enjoyed it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
A Look Back - Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac

In May 2009, we released Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac to the world, unleashing automatic REAL accompaniment to the MacIntel community!

This highly anticipated release brought with it RealTracks, RealDrums, the Audio Chord Wizard, Audio Rendering, MultiStyles, an updated GUI, and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2009 Introduction Video for a blast-from-the-past! Watch video...
(This is an easy-to-follow explanation of RealTracks & RealDrums that even a seasoned user will enjoy!)

We had also made a video highlighting the advanced features released with Version 2009: Watch now

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker can show information for up to 60,000 song files and can be customized to point to any folder on your computer, allowing easy access to your own song files or Band-in-a-Box® demo files!

Once you've chosen your folder and rebuilt your list, you are able to filter the list, adjust the width of the columns, see the chord sheet within the SongPicker Window, and more! The filter feature is incredibly specific too - you can even filter by Songs with Custom Chord Progression!

Read more about the SongPicker: Windows | Mac.

We created a video explaining the SongPicker using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - check it out!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® Transpose From .. To .. Tutorial

Make sure you check out our latest video if you want to see how to transpose a portion of your song! Click here to watch...

Learn even more about transposing within Band-in-a-Box with our online manual: Windows | Mac.

The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Forum Stats
33068 Members
68 Forums
66606 Topics
566701 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
glenn miner, Babu Joseph, Dama, dickertl, popo55

33067 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Planobilly 138
Janice & Bud 138