Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#529126 - 03/17/19 04:32 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: South Carolina
RobH Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
that's the way it is here. I actually got a ton of work done in MTS, but since I grew up on cakewalk, I liked that type of process. I found it though in studio one. I had bought version 2.65 and then downloaded cakewalk by bandlab found it very familiar. but after extensive testing I still liked studio one better so I upgraded to version 4. I still love MTS but the flow in S1 suits me and I prefer it, just like you prefer Sonar/cakewalk what it really boils down to is how each person works.
Lenovo Win 10 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#538354 - 05/27/19 04:39 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: on the edge of the sandbar-NC
mrgeeze Offline
Apprentice

I read through all the posts on this thread and don't think I found a single person mentioning Logic Pro X.

Can't help but wonder why?
Perhaps the change of OS from Win to Mac?

Its certainly a professional level DAW widely used.

I have a copy of it and was considering it for use as my DAW.
Costadelmar sunglasses
KotoBuki high carbon left handed Sashimi knife

#538356 - 05/27/19 05:03 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: mrgeeze]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
I read through all the posts on this thread and don't think I found a single person mentioning Logic Pro X.

Can't help but wonder why?
Perhaps the change of OS from Win to Mac?

Its certainly a professional level DAW widely used.

I have a copy of it and was considering it for use as my DAW.

I thought Logic Pro X was Mac only, if so, that would be why it does not show up here that much. A lot of people swear by Logic Pro X.

Edited by Teunis (05/27/19 05:10 AM)

#538361 - 05/27/19 06:00 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
mrgeeze Offline
Apprentice

Indeed it is Mac only.

I still run both Win and MAC os machines at my house.
Even run BIAB win on my mac under parallels sometime when traveling.
Costadelmar sunglasses
KotoBuki high carbon left handed Sashimi knife

#542654 - 06/24/19 05:55 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Warren Keller
.. Looking at Reaper's interface, despite the stated flexibility, it doesn't look like a virtual mixing board, which is something I value in RealBand, and something I don't think I'd want to lose. ..

rharv put me onto this https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199434
I thinks it's the same mixer in his avatar.

there's Imperial https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183627

and there's Triton themes https://tritonreaperthemes.webs.com/free
the list goes on.. and to get the chords from RealBand to Reaper you can use ReaTrak

Attachments
triton.png

#542843 - 06/26/19 03:17 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Quote:
rharv put me onto this ...
I thinks it's the same mixer in his avatar.

Indeed it is.
If I turned you on to something it must have been a good day. smile

#543050 - 06/27/19 10:29 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Warren Keller

A couple of things that bother me about RB, is that although you can group multiple channels to a single subgroup, you cannot record a mixer move on the combined fader, nor, to the best of my knowlege, can you easily automate a whole song fade-out.

Thanks for your time and consideration of this!

Warren, you've gotten all the standard comments about many different DAW's which probably mean nothing to you at this point. They're all good, they're all bad, they're all just OK depending on who you ask. Bottom line they will all get the job done.

What I want to ask you is to list exactly what you think RB won't do. Here you listed two, the subgroup record mixer move thing I think is correct but the automatic fade out is easily done using Audio Effects>Gain Change. In that window you can set an automatic fade out however you want it. Folks will say they need another DAW because they can't get RB to do what they want but many times that's not true they just haven't figured it out yet.

Having said that other DAW's certainly can have more and better features than RB does but define what's meant by "more and better". I personally find RB is perfectly capable of doing everything I need but that's for me, maybe not for you which is why I'm asking you to list the things you think RB can't do that you really need.

I completely agree with you, having to learn a brand new DAW can be a real PIA.

Bob
Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

#543063 - 06/27/19 12:01 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: jazzmammal]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

All DAWs have pluses and minuses. No DAW will do everything. You just have to pick a DAW that not only does most of what you want in a DAW but also fits your workflow.

I personally think that a DAW that fits your workflow is more important because DAW updates may contain things that you want. Plus all DAWs have workarounds, even RB.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#543096 - 06/27/19 03:47 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

#543106 - 06/27/19 04:21 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
jazzmammal Online   content
Veteran

I just found some info I didn't know about. I like the Keyboard Corner forum since I'm a keys player. Just 10 days ago the moderators were able to buy out and revamp the entire Music Player Forums network including Guitar Forum, Lowdown (bass) Form, the Keyboard Corner AND something new they incorporated Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio and Stage Forum. He talks a lot about DAW's and just by reading his comments on this stuff you pick up interesting things about the various DAW's like one thread asking is Pro Tools dead? This thread I'm posting is about Sonar but it also has lots of tidbits in it about other DAW's specifically Studio One:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2994239/is-sonar-still-relavent#Post2994239

I suggest you read some of the other DAW threads in the forum Warren because there are so many hidden gotcha's or great features that he talked about depending on what you specifically are looking for.

Bob
Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

#543286 - 06/28/19 06:26 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Craig has been around a long time. I red him and learned all I know about midi from him via Electronic Musician magazine.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#543343 - 06/29/19 10:12 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Ohio
DSM Offline
Apprentice

I keep thinking I am going to purchase a DAW until I realize that Audacity is doing everything I need.

Free is good until I grow out of it.

...Deb

Edited by DSM (06/29/19 10:13 AM)

#543429 - 06/29/19 06:33 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

I use Audacity for editing audio a lot. I find it easy to use and accurate.

The problem is Audacity doesn't accommodate midi so you can't use it to create audio from midi and soft synths.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#543475 - 06/30/19 03:00 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
DSM Offline
Apprentice

I have not taken the midi plunge, yet, other than to see if it basically worked on my computer.

I got a Focusrite (and some other sound equipment) to install for a friend who has had some very serious health issues. He does work with midi so I hope to learn some things from him.

...Deb

#543628 - 07/01/19 06:20 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: silvertones]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Craig has been around a long time. I read him and learned all I know about midi from him via Electronic Musician magazine.

I'm in the same boat John. Used to read that one a lot as well as Keyboard mag.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#543639 - 07/01/19 06:42 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: sslechta]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sslechta
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Craig has been around a long time. I read him and learned all I know about midi from him via Electronic Musician magazine.

I'm in the same boat John. Used to read that one a lot as well as Keyboard mag.

The boat is getting crowded! I use to read Electronic Musician and Keyboard magazine also.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#543653 - 07/01/19 09:04 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

So... you're looking for a full featured DAW that is easy to learn. I ran into limitations with RB right at the start. So I never really got into using it but instead stayed with the cakewalk line. I started with MC 4 on a new Dell laptop that I still have, and it still runs MC4. I then transitioned through MC5 ( I won that on in a contest by CW) into MC6, (that one was given to me as a power user by CW) and then they offered me a no-brainer crossgrade to Sonar X1 that I could not refuse. I have been using X1 ever since.

Originally, before I settled on using Cakewalk I'd tried a few of them in the past. I bought an interface that came with the LE versions of several different DAWs. I ended up going with the Cakewalk line of DAWs and have stuck with it ever since.

It handles audio and midi well, supports most all of the VSTs on the market, and comes with a bunch of things that make it easy to work with.

Yep.... Bandlab is giving you the big full flagship version of Sonar for free. As I recall it was over $350 back in the day for this version. As I understand it, this is a deal with no strings attached. Like BiaB it has a lot of stuff in it that you will probably never need or use. So you learn what you need to know to run the DAW and do what you need. It does allow the use of automation of volume on all the channels and busses including the master.
Once you learn it, it's easy to use.

I've been a caker for well past a decade. Probably closing in on two full decades now.... I started with Cakewalk Pro 8 which ran on Win95. I will continue to use Sonar until my DAW computer dies. Then I'll figure out what I need to do in order to upgrade to something more recent and in 64 or 128 bit.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#543691 - 07/01/19 05:10 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: DSM]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: DSM
I have not taken the midi plunge, yet, other than to see if it basically worked on my computer.

I got a Focusrite (and some other sound equipment) to install for a friend who has had some very serious health issues. He does work with midi so I hope to learn some things from him.

...Deb
Deb, learning a new topic while helping someone is a great way to learn. It's a win win!
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Special Extended!

Customers LOVE the new Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019, so why would we end our special so soon?

The answer: We're not going to! We've extended our Xtra Styles PAK special to October 15th - so there's still time to add 164 new RealStyles to your collection for just $29!

In fact, we've put all of our earlier Xtra Styles PAKs (1-6) on sale for just $29 each until October 15th, and always offer specific genre for just $15 each.

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac New Features Video!

Want to learn all about the new features in our just-released Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac? Check out our latest video:
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac®! New! All 64 bit program, VST/AU 64 bit plugin, 202 RealTracks & more!

Jump to the feature you'd like to learn about the most by choosing from the table of contents, listed in the video description, or here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - Upgrade Today and Save Up To 50%!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac with 64+ new features (64-bit!!!!), 202 New RealTracks, 40 Unreleased RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, "Look Ma! More MIDI!" – 30 MIDI Styles, 12 new MIDI SuperTracks, 240 new Instrumental Studies, 18 new Artist Performances, and a new Xtra Styles PAK 7!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until October 15, 2019 - save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our packages page for all the purchase options available, or visit this discussion on our Band-in-a-Box® for Mac forum.

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 301-328)!

Listen to all the individual demos here, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video here

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade, on sale until October 15th!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - 49 Requests Fulfilled!

49 of your Problems solved? List of 49 Requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac.

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac there are a lot of new features, 202 RealTracks, and more. We get ideas for the new features and new RealTracks from our users. There are several sources, our Wishlist and general forum, support phone calls, trade shows, etc. In most cases, customers are not describing a new feature – they are describing a problem they have that they would like to have solved.

Here is a list of our features and additions in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac, presented from a unique perspective. It is from this customer list of "problems they would like solved." These are not exact quotes, they are paraphrased from our discussions with our customers. They explain what problems and requests they discussed with us, that resulted in the various new features and RealTracks. Hopefully this answers the question "Why did you add this feature/content?"

So, without further ado, here are the 49 requests/problems that we (hopefully) have solved with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019. We hope that many of them are relevant to you as well. And please keep suggesting new ones, we appreciate that.

Q. Almost all of my music apps are 64 bit, as is my Mac OS. But Band-in-a-Box® is 32 bit. And Apple's next OS, Catalina 10.15 is set to be released in October 2019 (the beta is available now), and that won't even run 32-bit apps! Can you make a 64 bit version?
A. Yes, we’ve done this with Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac. The app is 64 bit and the executable name is still Band-in-a-Box®.app (if you have an older 32-bit version it will get automatically renamed during the install to Band-in-a-Box®-32bit.app ).

Q. I have 64 bit plugins that I want to use with Band-in-a-Box®. But they only work with 64 bit apps. Can I use them with Band-in-a-Box® 2019, without having to use any special software for this?
A. Yes, 64 bit Plugins work natively with the 64 bit version of Band-in-a-Box® 2019. This means you can use your 64 bit plugins, including ones that use huge amounts of memory (more than 2GB).

Q. Does Band-in-a-Box® 2019 work on the latest OS, Catalina 10.15, as that has many changes?
A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box® 2019 is 64-bit and runs great on Catalina (and older OS's down to and including 10.6.8 Snow Leopard)

Q. I like Snow Leopard as an OS (10.6.8), will Band-in-a-Box® 2019 still run on that with all features working?
A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64 bit version runs great on older OS's including Snow Leopard, and has identical features and operation to the newer OS's

See the full list here!

Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Mac is Here!

Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Mac is here! These work with the RealTracks & RealDrums in your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile, and are a GREAT addition to your Band-in-a-Box® resources!

Listen to all the great new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac: click here

Xtra Styles PAK 7 and all the Xtra Styles PAKs from 1 thru 6 are on sale for only $29 each during our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special! Learn more...

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac is HERE!

Attention Mac users...Band-in-a-Box® 2019 is HERE! https://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.htm

There are 64 new features, including our brand-new 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! There's also a new 64-bit VST/AU/AAX Plugin of Band-in-a-Box, which you can use inside your favorite DAW (GarageBand, Logic, Reaper, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Ableton, PreSonus, etc.) to generate styles, RealTracks, RealDrums, Multi-Riffs, etc... AND SO MUCH MORE!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes! video to see the new version in action!
Click here to watch...

PLUS... During our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac release, we're offering some AMAZING upgrade pricing - save up to 50% on most upgrades! Plus, we have a Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons FREE! You can upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK to receive even more NEW Add-ons including up 40 additional RealTracks... that's 242 NEW RealTracks!

Band-in-a-Box® packages: click here

Bonus PAKs: click here

Forum Stats
30053 Members
62 Forums
60010 Topics
505264 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Prof P, Rakejazzman, stevemac70, Auggie9000, patbe60

30052 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)