You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#544550 - 07/07/19 09:24 PM [User Showcase] Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Hi Folks.
Would like to share unusual piece of musical thing smile This is a collaboration between me, Ray (Rayac on forum) and my talented friend Oxana. This started as an interpretation of word game Bouts-rimés, which was popular when I was a kid. Ray and me wrote the lyrics in the manner of this game, semi-blindly. If you are interested to know more about the original principle of the game, take a look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouts-Rim%C3%A9s
A talented family friend was visiting us, so I decided not to waste opportunity and asked her to join this little project. People live busy lives, so just a couple of points. This is not a song with a story or common form, just a musical project. Unfortunately mix is not something to be proud of. Probably I have to comeback to it when my ears "heal" and give it another try. Critical comments on improvement are always welcomed.

Thank you for listening!
Misha.

Bureme / Bouts-rimes

Lyrics:

She walks like a goddess in a see-through gown
Through the glamour mile of downtown
Don't look her in the eyes, don't beg for concessions
She’s a ruthless killer with expired probation.

They dance in stilettos on shards of glass
They drink to the memories of those who pass
A last look: the curator relents cue ray tor
They reject the museum and its fine contents

When the night is taking the last breath
A morning’s flapping wings like callous vultures
She jumps the wagon heading to the east
To seize and conquer distant cultures

An eye on the sky and the weather that is coming
An eye to the path to see feet still running
An eye to the rear as the consequence is cunning
An eye to the future

Dim light of low-watt Wolfram filaments,
Casting light upon a room full of elephants
Claustrophobic dream; casket too tight,
Bend your knees and enjoy the ride.

Because you ride this with a one way ticket
You can see around the next bend
And when the fast bowler takes your wicket
There’s no room booked at the end

Tech:
Ray-Lyrics
Oxana- vocals
Me-Lyrics, vocals, arrangement and horrible mix.

BIAB
2481:Bass
3048:Accordion
RealDrums=SalsaFull
1690: Piano
1155: Organ
1748:Synth
Several synths of Halion Sonic.
Recorded / Mixed in Cakewalk

#544562 - 07/08/19 02:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Rustyspoon/Misha,
I love this - the process was fun, the results making it well worth the abstract groping for words in the dark.
I REALLY dig the reggae style breakdown.
Tech:
Ray & Misha - lyrics
Oxana & Misha - Vocals
Misha - Melody, progression, arrangement, engineering & mixing
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#544576 - 07/08/19 03:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Misha (and Ray and Oxana),

A surprising, but very nice song with a good touch of Latin in it.
Oxana sings very clear, pure and can reach hights I can only dream of. Can I lent her for a song or 3 of mine?

The acoustic guitar was played very nice. Ray, did you do that? Or only the -clever made- lyrics?

I have one little aspect I want to let you know: Misha, until the lyricspart 'Because you ride...etc.' your voice was a bit to soft compared with Oxana. Her voice sounded almost sounded solo.
It must be your 'horrible' mixing skills... (your own words ;-))

So, lots of compliments for the composition, the lyrics and the performance of the song, and a tiny remark,
Hans

#544584 - 07/08/19 06:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Misha/ray/Oxana,

A very interesting collaboration...as always.

A wild lyric. I like it all.

The musical bed is a good vehicle. Just as interesting as the lyric.

Oxana's vocal is terrific - what a voice!

The constant doubled vocals would be more effective if the words matched perfectly throughout. Those times when the timing is slightly different is a bit distracting (your DAW should allow you to makes cuts so that you could nudge the words into alignment).

Cool song.

fj

#544592 - 07/08/19 07:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi Misha,

Good song, as always both the lyrics and music are interesting and unique!

I like the production, the little breaks you are putting in, :50, 1:30, 2:08, very effective.

I agree with floyd about the doubled vocal, they need to be tight. Another thought, I wonder how it would sound if they weren't doubled all the way through? Might be more effective to just double up certain phrases.

A good listen, always enjoy hearing your music.

#544605 - 07/08/19 07:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Very interesting collaborative experiment...
I'll bet Ray was right...
Quote:
the process was fun, the results making it well worth the abstract groping for words in the dark

And your project turned out well...
I enjoyed the listen so much I listened to it again & yet again!

#544627 - 07/08/19 11:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

I like the strange subject and imaginative lyrics, the progression and hint of latin style.
Oxana`s voice is excellent and Misha knows I`m a big fan of his singing. I have to agree with others that the doubling should be more in sync or used more sparingly.
A very cool collaboration- I`ll be back with interest if you revisit.

Robert

#544713 - 07/09/19 07:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - what a strangely intoxicating tune! The way your vocals play off one another's makes for a dizzying yet enticing listen. Very abstract, and absolutely unique. Very different musically in general, let alone the forums.

I thoroughly enjoyed my listen - thanks for sharing smile

#544772 - 07/09/19 04:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Big points for creativity and general out-there-ness. Good mood to song. I would like to hear it with just the female voice, not sure if it would be better that way or not.

#544777 - 07/09/19 05:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
I enjoyed listening!

It didn't seem like the song screamed out for critical analysis, so I just sat back and enjoyed the ride. laugh

As for the process... anything that gets you to a song that you're happy is fine in my book!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#544801 - 07/10/19 12:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Hans, FJ, Dave, Jim, Robert, Deryk, David,
Thank you for listening and your support!!!

Reading your comments, I finally understood what is going on with mudiness of the mix. I recorded this, including my vocals prior Oxana joining the gig. She wrote her part on the top of my voice. BUT she is stronger vocalist, and feels the inner rhythm better than me. So it seems that I am following her, not the other way around smile I should re-record my vocals and try to follow her this time, to make overall feel more "tight" and also take Dave + Robert suggestion of not doubling my vocals all the way. Will try it next week.

Again, thank you for your time and for excellent suggestions!

Misha.

#544824 - 07/10/19 06:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Thanks for the interesting backstory. Will head to wiki to read about the game.

This is an evocative composition and arrangement and your family friends visit was certainly timely indeed. Great vocals by all.

After the "ear heal" which I truly understand the song is more than worth a bit of tweaking as alluded to in the above posts.

For us the song is fascinating in both its conception and execution...

Really enjoyed the listens...

J&B

#544945 - 07/11/19 08:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
I always enjoy your compositions. The music is so intriguing and a pleasing journey. Great vocals. I love this one.

#545057 - 07/11/19 07:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

TuneMonger,
Thank you for listening! I do agree with you in a way that female vocals alone would be probably better for this tune, unfortunately I did not realize that when I recorded my friend, so she followed my recorded vocals instead of singing solo and if I mute myself completely, it seems in places that female vocal line is supporting "something" which is not present. I am not happy with my vocals and overall mix on this. I will completely re-record my vocals and only do it in some places, giving the lead to Oxana.
------
J&B,
Thank you for listening and kind words! Please do try to play Bouts-Rimes, it is a super fun game.
------
Ezekiel's Storm,
thank you for giving this time and your kind and supportive feedback.

Misha.

#545086 - 07/12/19 01:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

The rhythm is fantastic. Those breaks are very interesting and effective. Oxana has a nice voice and did a good job with those mouthfull's of lyric. As always, a unique and effective collaboration. The "star" to my mind is the arrangement.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#545104 - 07/12/19 03:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Eilat, Israel
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Eilat, Israel
Wow!!!

This is amazing in so many ways...the lyrics, the percussion, the arrangement!

Well done, Misha :-)
Band-in-a-Box 2019 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

#545882 - 07/18/19 08:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Hi Oxana, Misha, Ray,

that's a really remarkable and most creative thing. Very, very interesting, a heckova write. Good instrumentation, very well sung. My sincere compliments on this treat.

Stefan

#546019 - 07/19/19 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Tangmo,
Thank you for listening and your kind feedback!
-----------
DeaconBlues,
Thank you for your feedback!
----------
Stefan,
Thank you for giving this time and words of support!

#546249 - 07/21/19 04:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bureme / Bouts-rimes collaboration with Ray and Oxana [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Great work by all involved! I know it's a work in progress, no complaints here! The vocal doubling everyone is mentioning can be worked on in time! I love the syncopated parts! Enjoyed it! Thanks, Torrey

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Want to be notified when a new version of Band-in-a-Box® is released? There are a few ways to stay informed!

PG Music Newsletter: Click here to subscribe
(If you've registered with us, or purchased from us, you're already on the list!)

Facebook: Click here to "Like" our page!

Twitter: Click here to Follow Us!

We'll also announce any new version or new product release on our Forum... stay tuned!

Forum Stats
33216 Members
67 Forums
66089 Topics
567089 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
fdesat, babluc, Martin6611, Deddiekoel, Fozzie1410

33215 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 191
MarioD 163