You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#546020 - 07/19/19 06:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK
Loc: ID
Rick Stirling Offline

I've successfully imported my MZ-X500 Instrument INS file to a PAT file. I've also successfully imported my MZ-X500 Drums INS file to a PAT file. If I use any high bank instruments I am unable to also select high bank drums and vice versa. The program appears to only be able to use one PAT file definition at a time.

#546023 - 07/19/19 06:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Rick Stirling]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Hello William Sterling!

Welcome to Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) and to the forum. Is the MZ-X500 you mention the Casio 61 key arranger workstation keyboard?

Silly question but have you checked the BiaB program midi settings (Options > Preferences > Channels or Ctrl + E > Channels) to make sure the track midi channel settings match the workstation channel settings?

Silly question number 2 have you looked on pages 523 & 524 in the manual where it discusses using a patch map? While it doesn't specifically state you can use only one patch map for instrument and one for drums it seems to imply that.

Unfortunately I don't use patch maps so my help is limited.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1803, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#546141 - 07/20/19 05:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Jim Fogle]
Rick Stirling Offline

Thank you for the welcome Jim.

Fixed it. Apparently BiaB 2019 Build 626 Does not parse the DRUMSET INS file properly. It appears to ignore the 'BankSelMethod' setting and always assumes a param of '0'. My synth requires '1'

I have it all working now, just had to manually program the drum kits, all 77 of them ;-)

Yes, the MZ-X500 is a Casio. I use it with my Kronos 2. They make a good pair.

Edited by William Sterling (07/20/19 05:29 PM)

#546208 - 07/21/19 12:04 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Rick Stirling]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

I'm glad you got the PAT or INI file straightened out. Are you going to share a copy of the corrected file with PG Music so they can add it to their patch map depository?

That is a glamorous instrument photograph! I'm sure it sounds just as good as it looks. Both your Casio and Korg are outstanding instruments. Between the two I'd say you have external midi sound modules covered.

Curious side question if I may. Of the two workstations, which keyboard bed do you prefer to play and why. I'm not a keyboard player but I've read many times that each keyboard bed has it's own feel and every manufacturer has their own interpretation of "natural feel".
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1803, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#546212 - 07/21/19 01:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Rick Stirling]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Yes, welcome, and do send that patch map to support@pgmusic.com

Reference this thread. Thanks!
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile; [& 2020 Mac MegaPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#546218 - 07/21/19 01:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Jim Fogle]
Rick Stirling Offline

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I'm glad you got the PAT or INI file straightened out. Are you going to share a copy of the corrected file with PG Music so they can add it to their patch map depository?

That is a glamorous instrument photograph! I'm sure it sounds just as good as it looks. Both your Casio and Korg are outstanding instruments. Between the two I'd say you have external midi sound modules covered.

Curious side question if I may. Of the two workstations, which keyboard bed do you prefer to play and why. I'm not a keyboard player but I've read many times that each keyboard bed has it's own feel and every manufacturer has their own interpretation of "natural feel".

The correction involved changing this ...

0.0.120=STANDARD SET 1
1.0.120=STANDARD SET 2
2.0.120=STANDARD SET 3
3.0.120=STANDARD SET 4
4.0.120=STANDARD SET 5

to this ...

0.120.0=STANDARD SET 1
1.120.0=STANDARD SET 2
2.120.0=STANDARD SET 3
3.120.0=STANDARD SET 4
4.120.0=STANDARD SET 5

I made the change by editing the PAT file in Notepad. The Drums INS file I created back in 2016 is correct and works properly with my DAWs. The instrument INS file I also created in 2016 works fine as is. I'll send the PAT files to support.

Re: Keyboard beds there is no contest, my 61 key Kronos wins hands down. It's a "Natural Touch Semi Weighted" keybed where the Casio is a pretty cheap 'organ' type keybed. I use the Kronos to control the Casio. A fair number of folks have complained about the Casio keyboard getting noisy with age. Silicone grease seems to work well to fix the issue.

The Kronos 2 (identified by the solid wood end caps) has 'Hammond' type keys. The Kronos 2 survives aggressive palm glissandos easily.

#546219 - 07/21/19 01:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Matt Finley]
Rick Stirling Offline

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, welcome, and do send that patch map to support@pgmusic.com

Reference this thread. Thanks!

Thank you Matt. I have sent the Casio MZ-X500 PAT files to support and referenced this thread.

cheers,
Rick

#546259 - 07/21/19 08:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Rick Stirling]
Veteran

Yamaha and Roland have different standards for what is called displacement. It’s very annoying. If I ask you to count to 10, you’ll probably start at one and end at ten. Often programmers start at zero, however. Your familiar numbering system is Decimal, or Base 10, otherwise known as the digits zero through nine, for ten possible digits. I could go on...
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile; [& 2020 Mac MegaPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#546273 - 07/22/19 03:31 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Matt Finley]
Rick Stirling Offline

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yamaha and Roland have different standards for what is called displacement. It’s very annoying. If I ask you to count to 10, you’ll probably start at one and end at ten. Often programmers start at zero, however. Your familiar numbering system is Decimal, or Base 10, otherwise known as the digits zero through nine, for ten possible digits. I could go on...

Yes, that was my first thought, but the issue at hand was different. See my post above re ordering of parameters. BiaB was sending the correct parameters, just in the wrong order. Its the old MSB or LSB first issue and how LSB, MSB are functionally defined. The crucial parameter that is being ignored is ...

BankSelMethod=1

There are apparently 4 possible values for BankSelMethod, 0,1,2 & 3

0 Normal - bank select MSB and LSB matter
1 Only the MSB is used and defined
2 Only the LSB is used and defined
3 Only program changes are used and defined

As you can see, if this parameter is ignored and defaults to mode zero when it requires mode 1 things can get messy. wink

Edited by William Sterling (07/22/19 03:57 AM)

#546280 - 07/22/19 05:09 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Rick Stirling]
Veteran

Ah, I understand. Thanks for clarifying. And thanks for sending the patch map to PG Music.

#546311 - 07/22/19 08:47 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can not set all tracks to HIGH BANK [Re: Rick Stirling]
Rick Stirling Offline

For those who have the Casio MZ-X500 or X300 and need to define the instruments in Sonar or any DAW that can use INS files here is a link to my posting of those files on the Casio forum.

MZ-X500/300 INS Files post

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Just Got Better!

All our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows users will be thrilled with the enhancements added with the latest FREE Update (build 715)!

The program stability is vastly improved, with fewer possible crashes, BeStPlain chord font support has been added for additional chords, mid/xml/mxl file import has been tweaked to better handle certain cases (e.g. ties, zero duration drum notes), there is improved the stability of the audio chord wizard, and more.

Plus, hundreds of RealTracks files have been enhanced and improved with simpler options for RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks, smoother transitions, updated RealCharts and Hi-Q RealCharts, improved transcriptions, and revised endings! Check out the full list of RealTracks and other Add-on improvements with build 715 here.

We didn't stop there – the VST DAW Plugin is also updated with this patch, adding TONS of enhancements and a new Shortcuts file feature! Now you can easily zoom within the Plugin, smoothly drag tracks, use the P hotkey to toggle between part markers, transpose chords to "natural accidentals," the scrolling has been improved, and more!

Read the detailed list of enhancements included in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 715 for Windows or download it here.

Using the Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Pro or MegaPAK? Upgrade to the UltraPAK today to get the most out of the latest build 715!

Holiday Hours - Happy Easter!

Our Easter Weekend hours are:

Customer Service:
April 10 - Good Friday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8)
April 11 - Saturday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8) (regular hours of operation)
April 12 - Easter Sunday: Closed.
April 13 - Easter Monday: 6:00AM to 6:00PM PST (GMT -8) (regular hours of operation)

Technical Service:
Closed April 10-12 (Will re-open Monday, April 13 at 10:00AM PST)

All of our hours list here.

New with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - MultiRiffs!

This feature was initially offered with the VST DAW Plugin, and now it's available directly in Band-in-a-Box®! MultiRiffs allows you to quickly generate 7 variations of either a portion of the track (which would generate 7 variations of "Riffs" of a four-bar guitar solo), or the whole song with 7 variations that are generated to play different material at all times.

Read all about this feature here, or check out our New Features Video (46:00) to see it in action!

Interview: Aaron Short & PG Music's Tobin!

Check out Aaron Short's LIVE interview with PG Music's Tobin!
Click here to watch.

This was recorded LIVE at 1pm PST, April 8, 2020.

#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser

Don't forget about the new Feature Browser added to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac! (and Windows)

This feature is GREAT to help you locate a feature within the program!

How does it work? Access this feature by clicking on the [?] button on the main screen of the program or pressing the / Enter keys on the Chord Sheet. This dialog lists many features of the program and allows you to browse them, find the feature by text filter, read descriptions about the feature, find how to launch the feature, access to the online information or video about the feature, and do more.

Examples of a few situations where this feature is helpful:
-You know about a feature but don't know how to find it. Just type a part of the feature name and you'll see the hotkeys, menu, and toolbar info on how to launch it. For example, if you want to launch the Chord Builder but don’t know how to do it, type "builder" in the text filter, and you will quickly find the Chord Builder.
-You are exploring available features for Band-in-a-Box. For example, if you are a guitar player, type the word "guitar" and you'll see what's available.
-You prefer "one-stop-shopping" and would like to launch features from the same dialog.
-You are learning the program and like to browse or watch videos about topics you're interested in.
-You can't remember hotkeys and want to review them.

Read more about this new feature here, or watch the video.

Don't Wait to Start with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac - Download Now!

Want to get started with the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac right away?

Order now and start downloading Band-in-a-Box® 2020 right away!

Place your order before April and up to 50% off of your upgrade! You'll also receive a Free Bonus PAK full of amazing Add-ons, which you can upgrade to the 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks)!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac packages page for all the purchase options available.

Having your order shipped? Your PG Music Inc. online account will list your purchase under "My Products" - you can download while you wait!

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Patch Updates Ready! (2019 & 2020)

We've JUST released FREE Updates for existing Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 and 2020 program users!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323

What do these include?

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407: (get it here)
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List was empty if launched from main toolbar.
Improved: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: Buttons in Custom toolbar are not draggable.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Find a Sub for RealDrums menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.
Fixed: Some style demos for the newest RealTracks would not play.
Fixed: Song title will be changed to ? when re-saving if it previously contained international characters like é or ©.

DAW Plugin 2.5.18
Fixed: "Open Recent" opened file chooser dialog
Fixed: Unfold feature not working with some songs
Fixed: Choruses not resetting when playback is stopped in DAW
Fixed: Chord superscripts
Fixed: Clicking zoom many times will crash standalone plugin
Fixed: Undo removes all chords after opening a song
Fixed: Buzzing sound in Studio One
Fixed: Plugin determining chord accidentals now matches main program
Fixed: Removed alert menu when sync playing tracks that are not up-to-date (generated).
Fixed: Cancelling generate made song lose "dirty" state
Fixed: All selected tracks should drag from the plugin
Fixed: Shortcut file feature not working always working. Support was also added for pgshortc.txt files
Fixed: Double clicking grey area in chord sheet started playback
Fixed: Bar highlighting skipped last chorus when the start bar is greater than 1
Fixed: Right-click on bar should first launch popup menu
Fixed: Double clicking anywhere on a track should open its picker
Added: About to File Menu
Added: "year" to plugin name
Fixed: remove sync tempo button if already synced
Fixed: improve 2 finger scroll (too fast)

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323: (get it here)
Fixed: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.

Forum Stats
31629 Members
65 Forums
63460 Topics
537300 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
stratusphunk, Haderlie, Pecos, el-bazi, SteveCrutchfield

31629 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 217
Matt Finley 210