Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
at least that seems to be the issue - my other two pcs updated fine but the music one has a second internal hard drive and the windows update - according to the internet - has problems with usb drives and internal hard drives.

anyone else come across this?

Veteran
Veteran
First of all, are there two physical drives in the computer, or is there a single drive with two partitiions?

If the former, I would pull out the USB drives (temporarily), but my upgrade to Windows 10 went fine with multiple (3) internal drives. If you are worried, I would just open the computer case and just disconnect the drive data cable to the second drive, do the upgrade, then reconnect the drive and Windows 10 should read the second drive just fine.

If the latter, the key is to make sure you only upgrade the system partition, not the entire drive. There are tools available if you need to change the size of partitions to accommodate the new operating system.

Are you looking to do an in-place upgrade or clean install. Either way, it should work fine with multiple drives, at least in general (everyone's situation is different).

Start off with a good backup, maybe even a system image backup. That way you can always quickly get back to where you started.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Something weird going on with your computer, Bob. What do you mean "according to the internet"? Post the link.

Also, you have nothing in your sig. See John and I's signature lines. We detail exactly what we have, you need to do the same so we have a clue what we're trying to tell you based on your system.

Millions and millions of users have second or third internal drives plus external USB ones and update just fine. Including me. I have a 500 gig internal in addition to my SSD system drive plus three external USB drives. No issues with updates and I've never had to unplug anything.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
microsoft url is
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903#532msgdesc

scroll down to Error attempting to update with external USB device or memory card attached

it says
If you have an external USB device or SD memory card attached when installing Windows 10, version 1903, you may get an error message stating "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10." This is caused by inappropriate drive reassignment during installation.

Sample scenario: An update to Windows 10, version 1903 is attempted on a computer that has a thumb drive inserted into its USB port. Before the update, the thumb drive is mounted in the system as drive G based on the existing drive configuration. After the feature update is installed; however, the device is reassigned a different drive letter (e.g., drive H).

Note The drive reassignment is not limited to removable drives. Internal hard drives may also be affected.

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a hold on devices with an external USB device or SD memory card attached from being offered Windows 10, version 1903 until this issue is resolved.

my windows update simple says 'your computer is not quite ready yet' which i assumed was Microsoft waiting for a fix

Expert
Expert
Check the date on the Windows post. I think this has been addressed. I know my PC updated no worries last month. Both my Windows devices got updated. One has a number of internal and external drives.

Edit: Actually the Windows page says it is resolved dated July 11.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 07/30/19 10:39 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
thanks Tony - missed that so I assume its just a matter of waiting if that is the issue. beginning to wonder however if it's my Creative Soundblaster Audigy ZX which is now well past its sell by date and maybe Windows can't see a driver for it for version 1903 although its been working fine

Expert
Expert
My main pc updated by itself. My “stage” laptop I pressed check for updates and it updated. There is not a great deal of useful change IMHO other than being able to put off updates so I wouldn’t be too upset if it has not yet updated.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
thanks Teunis. My soundcard is actually an Audigy 2 ZS not ZX and the driver is 2010. looking on the internet (I know you can find anything including problems you haven't got yet!) there does appear to be a problem with Windows 10 1903

Veteran
Veteran
There's ALWAYS a problem with something somewhere concerning PC's. Most consider 1 in a million to be extremely long odds well, nobody knows for sure but MS has hundreds of millions of Windows 10 installs out there meaning at the least there are several hundred with really strange one in a million problems and that's assuming the people writing about them have a clue. I wrote about my main machine, I have another I have networked to the office. I've had a thumb drive stuck in it for months and it updates with no issues too including about two weeks ago.

Btw, you still haven't told us the specs on your system and how you've used it. Maybe you downloaded something, who knows. Have you run security scans, what AV are you using? Right now we're just shooting blind.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
the machine is a self build and the only non-stock item is the audigy zs - i say non-stock becuase its old and out of date.

update 1903 is not screamingly urgent so i'll just see if microsoft come through - it maybe that i'm at the tail end of the process with Windows 10 Pro.

thanks for all the advice - as jazzmammal says there are so many combinations that hoping to narrow it down here is a triumph of optimism!

Veteran
Veteran
You said you built the machine yourself. Are you sure you plugged all those little header wires that go from your mobo to the various USB ports and switches in your case correctly? They're small, color coded and it's very easy to make a mistake. If they're not all plugged in correctly or you left one unplugged because it's so tight in there that could be something that's throwing a code that Windows Update doesn't like.

We have a huge retail electronics chain in the US called Fry's. If you buy all the components from them they will put the whole system together and install Windows for $85. I usually do it myself but when I found out about that deal I paid the money and let their tech do it. Maybe you have something similar in the UK for the next time you need to build a new system.

Bob

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
the pc has updated perfectly in the past - maybe i'm just at the back of the queue

when i'm not using it for a week or so i'll press 'check for updates'

Veteran
Veteran
Obviously you're not inclined to answer any questions about your system. You must have retired from MI6 or something. I throw out possibilities, ask for clarification and you just ignore it.

Hope it works out for you.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
my apologies jazzmammal your advice is always welcome but i am convinced that the pc spec is not the issue. windows update works just fine and the machine updated to KB450658 yesterday. previous features updates have gone well but i'm inclined to trust microsoft on this as the legend that says the pc is not quite ready persists on the windows update page even when pressing 'update now' which is the traditional way to force a features update.

my original post was to see if anyone else here had the internal hard drive problem and it appears that although it was a problem for some people in the world at large forumites don't have it and that is reassuring.

i'm also inclined to wait rather than force the issue because of the age of my audigy2 ZS which the internet tells me some people find non-functional after 1903.

so - and i may be wrong - i believe the pc spec is not the issue. i'm going to sit tight because as another post says 1903 does not deliver anything i really need and as long as microsoft keeps updating my current build, it will remain secure and safe.

so thank you for your advice - not just on this topic but BIAB related issues too.

and as for the british intelligence services my experience was with GCHQ not MI6!

Veteran
Veteran
No problem Bob you're probably right, it's just good to confirm the obvious sometimes. I threw MI6 in there as a joke because I was in Air Force intel. Let's see, what's that definition of military intelligence...?

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191