Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#548139 - 08/04/19 12:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How can I get a better sound from the MIDI styles? [Re: silvertones]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Midi came out in 1983.A whole lot of water under the bridge. A lot to learn before purchasing a program like BIAB.If I were you I'd set BIAB aside and do all the learning about midi you can get your hands on. Even some experienced people are using VST and VSTi, and DX and DXi interchangeably. Even PG calls their plugin a VST. Which is wrong sort of.

I agree with John and I will add a couple more things. Learn MIDI using one program first before moving to other programs. If you are using a DAW learn MIDI in that DAW. If you are using BiaB then only use MIDI in BiaB. Moving around from one program to another can be very confusing to a person just starting out using MIDI.

I would start by using the Kontakt library. Improving those sounds are very easy. Look for some free effects, check out hitsquad: http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/

Look for things like choruses, flangers, reverbs, EQs, compressors, etc. Note, after downloading any freeware be sure to scan both those files and then your computer with your antivirus and anti-malware programs before installing them. Most from hitsquad are bug free but sometimes one will slip through. Effects can make those Kontakt samples shine.

Good luck

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#548150 - 08/04/19 01:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How can I get a better sound from the MIDI styles? [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, it's probably time I did another survey to see what's out there in software MIDI synths. One disadvantage of using a hardware MIDI synth like I do is that you can't render a song in BIAB; you must record the output in real time.

That's no problem for me.

The advantage after saving to MIDI is that I can stack a half dozen sound modules, all with the same latency (5-6ms), choose the best sounds from each (the bass from one module, the snare from another, the guitar yet another etc.), feed them through a mixer where I can adjust individual volumes and tones, and record them into Power Tracks Pro or another DAW, add a little BBE Sonic Maximizer plug in, and save as an audio file that sounds much, much better than what BiaB may have rendered.

It's a little extra play (some call it work) time, but the end results can be so much better. And playing around with the sound is fun anyway.

Insights and incites by Notes

I agree! I only mentioned it because it is an opportunity to head off questions about how to 'render' in BIAB when you have a hardware MIDI synth. But I do as you do, and consider it worth the effort. Thanks.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2019 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#556010 - 09/22/19 03:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: berntd]
Loc: CA
Shastastan Offline
Expert

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: berntd
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: berntd
Worst of all, And I am actually a computer programmer - would you believe it?

Funny, I've said this many, many times over the years. It's the folks with a long time background in programming, IT or PC hardware who have the most difficult time when they decide to jump into digital audio.

The reason for this is PC's are not made for digital audio, they have to be sort of forced into working with it and obviously working in the business sector nobody cares about digital audio unless that business happens to be Sony Studios! This is a whole different world and you have to get it out of your head that you think you understand this stuff.

Just like programming has it's own technical jargon so does digital audio. You're correct and I completely sympathize with your trouble with not knowing what those terms mean. The best way to handle that is the instant you read an acrynym or term you don't understand is to pause right there and Google it. Take VST for example, simply putting that into Google comes up with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology

Audio Driver this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026994/windows-10-fix-sound-problems

Here's a beauty that will make you take a whole day off to study:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/7-things-about-sample-rate/

Biab can have midi tracks and audio tracks together. If the sample rates are not set correctly you get loss of sync meaning the playback between the midi tracks and audio tracks start to drift apart.

These are just examples. This is what I had to do 15 years ago. You didn't learn computer programming in a week and you're not going to learn all about digital audio in a week either. It's important you not only understand this stuff from the software POV but from your Windows OS POV as well because they are intimately integrated.

I'm not going to provide details concerning how to set up Kontakt Player and all that. You've already been told how to do it, it seems your problem is understanding the jargon so just start Googling.

Bob

Yes but:
I purchased this BIB package to get away from my usual problems with technical issues. I really just want to play trombone and have it provide the band around it. I want it to work and sound great, with the simplicity as shown in the demo videos and without having to spend days to learn all that stuff I do not need to know at this stage in my life.

Just like the average computer user using apps and programs does not need to know how it works behind the scenes.

Substitute trumpet for "trombone" in your quote and it could have been me who wrote the above post. I don't even know enough to ask a question about this stuff. Per advice from Mario, I'm re-installing my Ketron SD2 rather than having to mess around with the intricacies of "soft synths". Due to a fire and other problems, I haven't used BIAB for a couple of years. Like you, all I want to do is enjoy playing and not get involved with all the tech stuff. Besides music, the other thing I like is woodworking.

#556453 - 09/25/19 03:55 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What to do with those awfully sounding MIDI styles? [Re: Shastastan]
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Shastastan

Substitute trumpet for "trombone" in your quote and it could have been me who wrote the above post. I don't even know enough to ask a question about this stuff. Per advice from Mario, I'm re-installing my Ketron SD2 rather than having to mess around with the intricacies of "soft synths". Due to a fire and other problems, I haven't used BIAB for a couple of years. Like you, all I want to do is enjoy playing and not get involved with all the tech stuff. Besides music, the other thing I like is woodworking.

I find hardware synths to be easier to use, more reliable, and they sound much better than software synths.

Software synths are a good idea, but I just don't think they have surpassed hardware yet. They will someday, but not yet.

The problem as I see it is this. Hardware synths keep sounds in ROM so they are ready instantly. Software synths have to create the sound for every note as it is being played. In order to do this, the soft-synth manufacturer has to play the game quality vs. latency and compromise the quality for less latency.

The hardware synth can store a much more complex sound and have it instantly available. Quality without latency.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

PG Music News
Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Special Extended!

The verdict is in, and everyone agrees that Xtra Styles PAK 7 is incredible!

There are 164 unbelievable new RealStyles that await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some surprising new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

The possibilities seem endless with these fully-produced styles, like atmospheric folk, Western swing chicken pickin', dreamy Southern rock, smooth jazz with world percussion, Brazilian samba, acoustic grunge, and '90s R&B. We've even included two great new MultiStyles that use up to eight substyles! Do yourself a favor and take home this comprehensive and imaginative collection of styles today!

SPECIAL EXTENDED!!! Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until October 31st! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here.

Mac user? You'll find your Xtra Styles PAKs here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 309 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac customers can download the latest FREE patch update here.

Summary of changes for Build 309:
Fixed: The Chord Builder is disabled if previously opened before using a modal dialog (eg. Style Picker, Set Tempo).
Fixed: The program might crash when selecting RealTracks in the Best RealTracks dialog (eg. #2541).
Fixed: Wrong notes in Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.
Improved: Higher dots-per-inch printing.
Added: [Print Chords Only] button added to the Print Options dialog.

EXTENDED! Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Ends October 31st!

You haven't missed our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special, which has been extended to October 31st!

There's still time to purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade at up to 50% off, and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

Plus, our latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 Build 2 Update Available!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 users can download the FREE Build 2 patch update here

Summary of Changes in Build 2:
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.
Fixed: Loading in a MusicXML file could result in MIDI notes of zero instead of the currect MIDI notes.
Fixed: Dragging a file into the tracks window didn't always result in the effects slot for the track being setup properly for the file type dragged in.
Fixed: When inserting hard rest, and answering Yes to question about removing notes for the peg, it would remove notes from both clefs instead of the clef that the rest was inserted on.
Fixed: Potential access violation when deleting a note in staff window.
Fixed: Potential jukebox access violation if there were songs with the entire path of the filename being 256 characters or greater loaded into jukebox.
Fixed: Jukebox not playing the playlist in correct order in certain situations involving stopping/restarting, etc.
Fixed: When loading in a MusicXML file that has a specific guitar fretboard defined that matches one of our fretboards, the guitar tablature type will now be set for the notation.
Fixed: Ability to load in .MXL (compresssed musicXML file) as well as ability to load normal noncompressed musicXML file with the new .musicxml extension instead of just .XML.
Fixed: Hammer ons, pull offs, and slides are now being saved to MusicXML files.
Fixed: Exceptionally jittery timing indicator in the notation window during playback compared to older versions of RealBand.
Fixed: If the start of a generated section of a song didn't have a chord entered at the beginning of the section, then it could default to a C major chord instead of the most recent chord prior to the section.
Fixed: Potential access violation if song has micro-pegs and multiple notes on a peg.
Fixed: Accidental element that specified whether a note was displayed as sharp/flat wasn't eing saved to XML, even though the correct pitch of the note itself was saved.

RealBand 2019 Build 5 Update Available!

All RealBand 2019 for Windows customers can download the latest FREE patch update (build 5) here.

Summary of Changes in Build 5 (Oct 10)
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for macOS Catalina

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac we added Drum Notation Support, and we didn't stop there! Other Notation Enhancements added in this new version are:

-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-Holding down the control key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-In the Notation Window Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-Notation is much clearer, not jagged, on retina screens.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-There is a keystroke entry mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, M to enter a third note, up/down cursor to change the pitch of the highlighted note, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

Read more about the Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac here. Watch this feature 'in action' with our new features video - jump to this topic when you click here.

...and don't forget - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac upgrades are ON SALE until October 15th, up to 50% off! Order now!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - Special Ends October 15th!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special is almost over! The special ends on October 15th - until then, save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade... and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

It's a GREAT time to order your upgrade to Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac, which is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our packages page for all the purchase options available.

Forum Stats
30232 Members
62 Forums
60221 Topics
508191 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
gavanhe, TheHoffs, briart, Joe Kingston, r3g1na15

30231 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 179
Noel96 149