Go To
#547972 08/03/19 08:58 AM
User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Kind of a quirky country song. This was done with the Rising Fingerpicking w/ Drums RealTrack, and I added a bunch of other stuff (cello, synth, electric guitar, dobro). Vocals & mix done with Logic Pro X.

Not entirely happy with the mix, there are some acoustic guitar squeaks I couldn't get out without losing tone, so I got it as good as I could & moved on.

For the applied use of these that I have, it does exactly what I need it to - which is just present the song. Enjoy!

It Ain't Funny Is It

It Ain't Funny Is It

How you laughed the day she left me
Cause she was leaving me for you
Weren’t you the proud one, it must’ve been fun
You made sure everybody knew

So I’ve been hearing that it’s over
And you’re the one who’s broken now
Looks like you’ve been burned, I guess the table’s turned
And maybe you have figured out –

CHORUS
It ain’t funny is it
Not when you’re the one who has to live it
You didn’t then, but now you get it
Cause she’s gone
It ain’t funny is it –

You thought for you it would be different
You had yourself a big old time
With the hell you’re going through walking in my shoes
I’m betting now you’ve changed your mind –

REPEAT CHORUS

BRIDGE:
She’s found somebody new
This time the joke’s on you

REPEAT CHORUS

User Showcase
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I really like this. Fantastic lyrics and great instrumentation. Really enjoyed the listen, thanks for sharing.

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Another really well-written song!! Love the feel of that atmospheric pedal steel.......perfect! I love the way you use "it" at the end of each chorus line....fresh and effective! Really like this!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I think the lyrics definitely provide an important message - you shouldn't look down on another's misfortunes because you never know when they could happen to you.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Roger,

This is another winner in my book. Everything about this is perfect.

You should put out a CD as your songs are far superior then anything on country radio up here!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
String squeaks annoy the hell out of me but most folk are OK with it as it sounds real. Sibilance is another issue that gets to me more than others - I think I mentioned there were some essing probs in your last track according to my ears.
The quickest & easiest way to deal with the string squeaks is to create volume automation and do quick notches at those spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwYN-QhhAEs
Additionally you could use an auto de-esser and adjust that to the problem frequency
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+Logic+Pro+X+de+--esser
- lastly you could set up an EQ that removes it but automate that to bypass except where the problems are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sWcPCJWX-A
Great song by the way.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thanks for the feedback.
Essing is an issue I've wrestled with for decades. My vocals are susceptible to it more than others for some reason. I've worked in the studio with more recording engineers than I can count, and it's always been a problem.
As I've mentioned on other posts, my use for the songs & tracks I record are for pitching purposes. I write a lot, and consequently don't have the time or need to fine-tune the mixes in the way I would if I were planning on releasing them commercially. My "studio" is a corner hutch in my office - if you were to solo one of the vocal tracks, you'd very likely hear the ambient sound of a neighbor's dog barking, a garbage truck going by, or dozens of other pops, squeaks, & whistles.
My goal is to get the songs I write presented in a way that an artist can hear them and hopefully want to record them on their own projects. I actually fought being my own engineer and having my own studio for decades, because that's not what I'm interested in doing. The economy of the music industry forced my hand, and here I am.
The tracks/songs that I've posted, I probably spent 4 hours on each - from typing in the chord sheet in BIAB to bouncing the final mix to my external HD. That's about all the time I can spare to put into them, and again, for my application it's all I need. Your observations are entirely correct - I simply face a point of diminishing return when it comes to the amount of time I spend on these. My focus leans much more to the song itself - lyric, melody and the feel of the track - than fine tuning the mixes. My ear also likes brighter mixes with with a lot of air & presence, which of course accents any sibilance issues that are present.
Thanks again for your thoughts & feedback, you have a great ear for this. Nashville could use more engineers who care enough to drill down on a mix.
Best to you,
RB

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: rayc
String squeaks annoy the hell out of me but most folk are OK with it as it sounds real. Sibilance is another issue that gets to me more than others - I think I mentioned there were some essing probs in your last track according to my ears.
The quickest & easiest way to deal with the string squeaks is to create volume automation and do quick notches at those spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwYN-QhhAEs
Additionally you could use an auto de-esser and adjust that to the problem frequency
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+Logic+Pro+X+de+--esser
- lastly you could set up an EQ that removes it but automate that to bypass except where the problems are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sWcPCJWX-A
Great song by the way.

IMHO the easiest way to reduce string squeak is by Spectral Editing. By this method you simply see where the issue is and reduce it. Not as intrusive as dropping the volume as you only get shy of the squeak not the note. See Kenny Gioia on Spectral Editing in Reaper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBO_VC9q3E

For de-essing sometimes using a multiband compressor with a narrow bandwidth at the ss point works well.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/04/19 02:29 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Most has already been said but I do like this.
Rob4580

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Had a listen, this is a beautiful song (my battery was low last night). Well put together, beautifully sung, very relaxing. IMHO I agree getting shy of some of the squeak would improve it heaps.

This went over to “I bet you weren’t expecting this”. Yes you’re right I was not expecting this. Really very nice.

As I commented earlier use a process such as Spectral Editing which will help get shy of string squeak one can also use the same procedure to reduce essing. It is a very simple procedure that is very quick (once you’ve done it a couple of times).

Well done

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/04/19 10:00 PM.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
Thanks for the feedback.
As I've mentioned on other posts, my use for the songs & tracks I record are for pitching purposes.
I simply face a point of diminishing return when it comes to the amount of time I spend on these.
RB

Ah, makes complete sense then.
For me I try to make them as good as I can get them as I know no one else will want to use them. That's the principal reason I seek singers for my songs rather than grunting & autotuning a facsimile of the melody. I'm also pretty poor in the melody stakes so a sing that can add a communicative voice and melody is key. I'm always stunned at my sensitivity to squeaks and essing as I'd have thought my tinnitus would've reduced the sensitivity - instead those things and unnecessary volume/level bug me.
Thanks for the clarification.
BIAB is a superb demo tool.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teunis

IMHO the easiest way to reduce string squeak is by Spectral Editing.
Tony

Thanks and yep, Tony, that works a treat - except for the colour-blind - which I'm not so that leaves it as something I can use when needed. I've found that, at certain level of zoom, the wave form of esses is very easy to spot and using pre FX volume automation from the visual & auditory perspective does the job well.
Kenny also demonstrates setting up an EQ -> Comp chain that does a great job once the frequency is isolated. It's a little complex to set up but, if saved as an FX chain, is easy to use. I've it saved to use as & when needed.
Thanks for the perspective and the reminder to use that spectral editing sequence more often.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Originally Posted By: rayc
Originally Posted By: Teunis

IMHO the easiest way to reduce string squeak is by Spectral Editing.
Tony

Thanks and yep, Tony, that works a treat - except for the colour-blind - which I'm not so that leaves it as something I can use when needed. I've found that, at certain level of zoom, the wave form of esses is very easy to spot and using pre FX volume automation from the visual & auditory perspective does the job well.
Kenny also demonstrates setting up an EQ -> Comp chain that does a great job once the frequency is isolated. It's a little complex to set up but, if saved as an FX chain, is easy to use. I've it saved to use as & when needed.
Thanks for the perspective and the reminder to use that spectral editing sequence more often.

I, unfortunately, AM color blind.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well I think it is still easy to see the blobs of noise (unwanted noise) higher than the rest of the Spectral graph.

Why would I bother. Well I think the song is truly excellent and to have it suffer through something that can be easy fixed is a real pity.

I went past the McLaren car dealership this morning. What really made the cars stand out was the polish (which I would think would be the easiest part of the presentation.)

I really like the song

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/05/19 02:22 AM.

User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
As I've said previously....I'm not making commercially available recordings, I'm making song demos. The intended audience for my projects (recording artists/producers/etc.) are listening to the melody, the feel, and most importantly the lyric. The mix is totally irrelevant to them, because (assuming they like the song) they're going to re-record it anyway. I write on average 60-100 songs per year, in addition to producing 3 artists, administering my publishing, and serving as legislative chair on the BOD of the songwriters association. The ROI of spending too much time on demo mixes simply isn't there for me.

I don't disagree at all that there are sibilance issues, I stated that previously. It's not worth a remix for me, because quite frankly, I've never even once in my career had an artist turn down a song because they didn't like the mix of the demo. The first song I ever had recorded, for example...we recorded the tracks with studio musicians at 10am, along with 5 other songs. About 30 minutes was spent on each song. After lunch, I sang the vocals to all 6 songs. We then mixed, and by about 8 or 9pm I walked out of the studio with the final mixes. They were, by commercial standards, pitiful - I would never have wanted them released on something like spotify or iTunes if they had existed then. In spite of that, Tanya Tucker recorded one of the songs from that session, and two others were recorded as well by indy artists.

If I could justify the time to go back & tweak some things, I certainly would - but I can't. I do appreciate your thoughts & critique.

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Nice hook...
And thought provoking lyrics...
Good job.

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi roger really well done great vocal and mix its all been said eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Personally I like your approach to song demos. It makes perfect sense to me. It's why you are able to turn out the number of songs you do that are actually not desperate attempts and just pushing songs out. Your songs work! Well done!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - you really did a number on this one. Very thought provoking, and very relatable on the lyrical side of things. The entire tune is soaked in a layer of sincerity and heartbreak. I loved the instrumentation as well - really lush, and simply gorgeous to listen to.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,451
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195