Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#548207 08/05/19 01:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I was supposed to be packing up my house yesterday as we are about to embark on a major renovation and will need to move out. Anyway, I procrastinated and while tidying up I found an old Joan Baez folk songbook and started browsing through it... and found the lyrics to Wagoners Lad..did some research and found it is in the public domain and so I wrote some music for the lyrics. Then I recorded it. Needless to say, I didn't get much more packing done. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

[Link no longer valid]

Lyrics:
Oh, I'm just a poor girl my fortune is sad
I've always been courted by the wagoner's lad
He's courted me daily, by night and by day
But now he is loading and moving away
Gone away, gone away
Gone away, gone away

My parents don't like him because he is poor
They say he's not worthy to stanidn inside my door
He works for a living, his money's his own
And if they don't like it they can leave him alone
Gone away, gone away
Gone away, gone away

Your horses are hungry, go feed them some hay
Then sit down here beside me as long as you may
My horses ain't hungry, they won't eat your hay
So fare thee well my darlin I'll be on my way
Gone away, gone away
Gone away, gone away

Your wagon needs greasing your whip is to mend
Then sit down her beside me as long as you can
My wagon is greasy, my whip's in my hand
So fare thee well darlin, no longer to stand
Gone away, gone away
Gone away, gone away

Oh, hard is the fortune of all woman kind
She's always controlled, she's always confined
Controlled by her parents until she's a wife
A slave to her husband the rest of her life
Gone away, gone away
Gone away, gone away
Gone away, gone away
Gone away, gone away

Style used:
Blight Slow Americana with Banjo
I added the fiddle

Comments as always are appreciated.

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 09/01/20 11:12 AM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's a lovely setting for the lyric.
Supporting and expressing. As usual the vocals are stellar.
The only suggestion I have is to mellow the violin in the intro + 1st verse as there're a few spots in which it becomes strident - that could be achieved with a little EQ or even some subtle reverb.
Lovely listen and something JB would've been happy to have sung.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne,
A gorgeous chorus that floats away...wonderful to hear your voice again.
The story is a nice blend of humour and sad truth. Substitute a modern vehicle for that wagon and who would know the lyric is from another era!
Really good simple arrangement- especially given the rapid time frame.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ok Joanne, I think you know I'm a fan. Once again, this didn't disappoint. I REALLY REALLY like your delivery of the "gone away" parts in the chorus.

Now this is where it might be odd. I don't mean it to be. When I see your name; I have a certain expectation of how the song will sound. Not in a bad way; in the best way possible. There is something very John Denver-ish about your songs that I'm am drawn to. I'm a fan of his music; and I'm a fan of your music.

Great job once again!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne,
Beautiful tune. I like your voice doubling and overall vocals are A+! Drums work exceptionally well on this song.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Nicely done Joanne...
I enjoyed the listen...
And I hope your "major renovation" goes well!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nicely done smile It flows beautifully, and I love the lush instrumentation. Your vocal pair with it perfectly. That aside, I thought the mix was top notch also. Really concise and professional sounding.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Joanne,

This song is really great! Excellent.

I want to apologize for being so absent from the forum. Also, I will be candid that this part of the post is kind of a generic “form letter” to my old and new forum friends.

In brief, work is very hectic right now and I am having a hard time keeping up with the forum and even writing new songs. There is also a lot of new material hitting the boards—more than I can listen to and reply. People are on a roll!

Instead of backing away from the forum I want to stay involved by just giving the equivalent of a “like” as opposed to full-fledged commentary.

This way, I can just keep listening, and enjoying and reply with a simple LOVE IT or something like that.

I do listen, love your stuff and really want to continue following those who are so dedicated to encouraging others, even if it is only with one word.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your artistry and forgive my brevity going forward with massive time constraints.

Also forgive me if you see this message more than once until I know I have covered all my bases.

Peace!!

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Whenever I see your name in the User Showcase I know that I am in for a treat!

As usual this is perfect in every way. I especially liked the harmonies. Again as usual your vocals are outstanding and your backing track matches the story perfectly.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
I'm no expert in this style of music, but it sounds good to me and I enjoyed listening. You have a great talent for writing catching songs!

Will

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely. laugh

Good luck with the packing!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Love the vocals. I agree with rayc - I feel the violin was a little too strident at times. Also would have liked the violin and banjo to have some spatial separation - perhaps put one of them over in the right channel somewhere. That might have been more balanced. In all other respects at great job. Looking forward to hearing more.

P.S. I lent my Joan Baez Song Book to someone back in '76 and they 'forgot' to give it back - and then they disappeared. Some copies selling for around $50 eBay these days - outrageous!

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Some [Joan Baez Song Book] copies selling for around $50 eBay these days - outrageous!
Ouch! I've got a copy I've picked up from the local thrift store. I saw another last week, but figured one copy was enough.

Maybe I should go back and get it, and try listing it on eBay... whistle

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wonderful lyric/music fit. Lovely voice and harmonies. The band is just enough to carry the song. Very much enjoyed.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nicely done Joann. It's always fun for us to re-interpret old PD songs and poems.

Interesting that it was in a Joan Baez songbook as you are definitely channeling her
on this production with the lead and the lovely harmonies.

The backing tracks set in very nicely with your performance.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne

Beautiful interpretation. Excellent vocals and harmonies, the chorus is lovely.

Very very nice.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne. Love the melody you developed on this.
Very nice. Rob4580

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
RayC - and Ghostgum - thank so much for the feedback on the mix. I appreciate it. I have reworked it slightly. Fiddled around with the panning and put some reverb and eq on the violin. Would love to know if you think it is better (or not :))

https://soundcloud.com/joannecoopersa/the-wagoners-lad-version-2

Dave and Ghostgum - those are great stories about the JB songbook. Ghostgum maybe I have your copy because I have no idea where the one that I found came from smile

RobertKc, Caaron,Misha, Jim, Deryk, David, Mario, Will, Tangmo, Bud, Janice, PeterF and Rob - thank you all for taking the time to listen and for all your nice comments. I really need to hang out here more smile

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Well done Joanne, what a marvelous song I might say! This is beautiful and a solid key signature choice too. The vocals harmonize well with the other instruments. Keep it up!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A nice job on this, Joanne.

It does bring to mind the style of Baez. Your vocal and harmony suits it well...

The mix is crisp and clear.

Good to see you around.

fj

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,449
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195