Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#549276 - 08/13/19 07:19 PM [User Showcase] Play in the Ruins
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

I wrote the title phrase thinking it sounded happy/sad.
The song followed that thought...a bit of a follow on from my last posting.

Play In The Ruins

Style is _HOMESIK.STY (Homesick Soft Pop Serenade)

RealTracks in style: ~2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2195:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 3059:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Muted16thsFintan Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 2668:Pedal Steel, Background WestCoastBallad Ev 065
RealDrums [in style:CongasEv16[single] [Multi]

Play In The Ruins

boats of sticks and hollow shoes
eyes of grey race eyes of blue
the river takes all you`ve won

throwing mud into the light
propeller arms no more fight
father carries the son

nothing more to be done
we play
play in the ruins

so the days tumble down
running through this scowling town
angels of rain will overcome

draw balloons in scrapbook clouds
write something the heart allows
father`s stories of the son

nothing more to be done
we play
play in the ruins

torn up ticket for someplace new
eyes of grey face eyes of blue
patch the pieces into a song

all borne away in time
leaving only love
behind the saintly moon
gather in remembered rooms
father carried by the son

nothing more to be done
we play
play in the ruins
play
play in the ruins

© Robert Cordrey July, 2019

#549279 - 08/13/19 07:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert

Lovely tune - very much liked the harmonies, and of course your always interesting lyrics.

Very nice indeed.

Peter

#549288 - 08/13/19 08:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Very Neil Young Old Man in the intro.
Your voice sounds much clearer and unaffected in this and all the better for it.
Very cool.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#549346 - 08/14/19 07:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Deryk - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Wow - I really enjoyed this one! It has a sincerity to it, and your harmonies here are stunning. It is really captivating, and I thought the lyrics were attention grabbing too. It all sounds so clear and concise. Really easy to follow, and not overbearing at all to listen to.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile

#549394 - 08/14/19 12:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Nicely done & engaging...
I really liked the way the melody, chords changes, & lyrics came together on the line...
"nothing more to be done"...
For some reason this line really caught my attention...
Your vocals & harmonies really shine on this piece...
And I thoroughly enjoyed listening!

#549441 - 08/14/19 02:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia

This is really likeable. Robert you always give us something outside
the box and that's a good thing. Great mix and performance. Rob4580

#549448 - 08/14/19 03:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great work on this Robert, what a marvelous song I might say! I found this very easy to listen and the mix sounds well polished too. Fantastic work on the vocals. Great work!

#549463 - 08/14/19 04:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Tangmo Offline
Journeyman

Wonderful circle-of-life lyric. Love the sparse and building backing. Altogether an extremely pleasing listen.
BIAB 2019 Audiophile. Windows 10. Former user of old version. Prefer creating while learning over learning before creating. Passable, intermediate level acoustic rhythm guitar player. Songwriter, lyricist, composer loving all styles.

#549474 - 08/14/19 04:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Really great use of the _HOMESIK style! Thanks for sharing it with us.

#549491 - 08/14/19 06:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Jim]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert

Lovely tune - very much liked the harmonies, and of course your always interesting lyrics.

Very nice indeed.

Peter

Thank you, Peter- especially good to know the harmonies worked.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Very Neil Young Old Man in the intro.
Your voice sounds much clearer and unaffected in this and all the better for it.
Very cool.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - I really enjoyed this one! It has a sincerity to it, and your harmonies here are stunning. It is really captivating, and I thought the lyrics were attention grabbing too. It all sounds so clear and concise. Really easy to follow, and not overbearing at all to listen to.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile

Deryk,
I`m glad you found the lyrics interesting and understandable.
Thank you for all your positive comments.

Originally Posted By: Jim
Nicely done & engaging...
I really liked the way the melody, chords changes, & lyrics came together on the line...
"nothing more to be done"...
For some reason this line really caught my attention...
Your vocals & harmonies really shine on this piece...
And I thoroughly enjoyed listening!

Jim,
I appreciate those likes!

Robert

#549505 - 08/14/19 11:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Deej56 Offline
Journeyman

Robert,

Engaging opening—love the simplicity, openness of this. Terrific harmonies here—melody and lyrics drip with mood and atmosphere. From a production standpoint, pretty much perfect, though I’m wondering if the vocal is a bit too forward—just a tad; perhaps dial it back just a touch??? Just a suggestion for you to think about—this is pretty stellar as is . . . so don’t mess with it too much.

Very impressive piece, Robert. Very pretty—well done!

My best to you,

Deej

#549583 - 08/15/19 11:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Mark K Offline
Apprentice

Enjoyable listen. The Congas was just the right amount of drums/percussion for this song.

#549695 - 08/15/19 06:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome tune Robert. Love your folk songs. Super vocal and harmonies. Very cool intro and backtrack. As always super lyric. Well done

#549722 - 08/16/19 03:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nicely done, Robert! Nice choice of instrumentation, fits the song well. Especially like the congas and that 3059 realtrack.

Great job processing the vocals! Just the right amount of fx.

The lead vocal sounds a little hot through the 'phones but is fine over the monitors. Could maybe drop it 2db or so, but not a big deal.

Good song, always enjoy your work.

Blue Attitude Website

#549742 - 08/16/19 05:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

Robert,
Simply amazing! Beautiful poetry! Some harmony twists caught me by surprise... in a very good way smile
Percussion choice works very well on this. Would not change a thing.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#549762 - 08/16/19 09:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Online   content
Expert

Loc: Finland
Beautiful folky melody with right amount of melancholy. That acoustic guitar is a great selection, works well with your voice. Nice harmonies.

As always, your words are full of touching real life images, and I like how you describe the writing process. Although the words are so vivid that they don't need a picture, this song would be a good material to be played in an indie movie.

Janne

#549789 - 08/16/19 11:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
"torn up ticket for someplace new
eyes of grey face eyes of blue
patch the pieces into a song"

Wow!

Your vocals seem to be more and more nuanced. Really nice.

Outstanding band and mix. We very much liked the congas and the held bass.

Engaging and memorable. Very cinematic in feel...can almost see film credits rolling by.

Excellent!

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#549809 - 08/16/19 01:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert,

This is wonderful! I like everything about it.

A beautiful song.

Your vocal is, perhaps, your all time best. Well recorded, very "musical", and well mixed.

The BAND choice is perfect. I'm a big fan of that acoustic guitar RT. The e. piano adds a delicious flavor. The congas - perfect. And the steel puts it over the top. This band should "get the call" often - an albums worth.

Super mix.

Outstanding in all regards.

fj

#549822 - 08/16/19 03:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
One of your best, I think (though I've not heard all), congas really drive it and pedal steel somehow works, too. Great job!!

Edited by TuneMonger (08/16/19 03:26 PM)

#549840 - 08/16/19 06:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Deej56]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580

This is really likeable. Robert you always give us something outside
the box and that's a good thing. Great mix and performance. Rob4580

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work on this Robert, what a marvelous song I might say! I found this very easy to listen and the mix sounds well polished too. Fantastic work on the vocals. Great work!

That`s very kind- thanks Joe!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Wonderful circle-of-life lyric. Love the sparse and building backing. Altogether an extremely pleasing listen.

Glad the theme was clear and enjoyable- Thanks for your listen.

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Really great use of the _HOMESIK style! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ember,
Yes, a nice style that- all I added was the pedal steel.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Robert,

Engaging opening—love the simplicity, openness of this. Terrific harmonies here—melody and lyrics drip with mood and atmosphere. From a production standpoint, pretty much perfect, though I’m wondering if the vocal is a bit too forward—just a tad; perhaps dial it back just a touch??? Just a suggestion for you to think about—this is pretty stellar as is . . . so don’t mess with it too much.

Very impressive piece, Robert. Very pretty—well done!

My best to you,

Deej

Deej,
I appreciate those positives and agree about the vocal levels- dialed back a touch now,

Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
National Jukebox Day - Celebrate with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!

To celebrate, you could purchase a Jukebox... OR just access the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® SGU files within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening pleasure!

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual, here. Mac too!

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows was released in December 2018, and included many new features and enhancements - like the enhancements we made to our Notation window!

These include:
-Pressing the space bar plays the song from the current location.
-Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-In the Notation Windows Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.
-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-There's a keystroke entry mode -the "N" mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-A new button in the Print Options dialog lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the Chord Sheet.
-You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When the dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current notation track.

There's detailed information on our 2019 notation enhancements here: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 New Feature - Notation Enhancements

Jump to the Notation topic in our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 new features video.

Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Forum Stats
30433 Members
62 Forums
60703 Topics
513703 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JulesPitou, Aleksssl, ThomasJazz, YamahaTyros1, BReed

30432 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 203
Noel96 164