You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#552527 - 09/02/19 09:35 AM [Off-Topic] The story of bluegrass music PBS
pghboemike Offline
Veteran

#552568 - 09/02/19 11:52 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: pghboemike]
Loc: WV, USA
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Thanks again for another great find Mike. I've got it bookmarked and will definitely watch it before its expiration date of 09/26/2019.

#552607 - 09/02/19 02:19 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: pghboemike]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

I found it very disappointing. FWIW I’ve been involved in bluegrass for decades and used to write/photograph for several bluegrass publications and played in several bands. PBS seemed to use very little footage during the last hour other than from PBS produced shows. They gave scant attention to some of the pioneers from throughout the years. Several times commentators contradicted the story in back to back appearances. Rarely were artists identified when on screen. The editing was abysmal.

Yeah, we did not like it. smile YMMV

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#552613 - 09/02/19 04:36 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: Janice & Bud]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

J&B,

I haven't watched it yet but if all of your assertions are true, (and I don't have any reason to believe they aren't), then it's a deal breaker for me too.

The things that happened revolving around a handful of musicians in a small region of southern Appalachia set in motion something that will span decades of decades of musical history is undeniable.

It sounds like PBS missed an excellent opportunity to document something of great historical musical significance.

It wouldn't be the first time PBS has "screwed the pooch".

#552633 - 09/02/19 05:36 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: pghboemike]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Bob, please don’t let us keep you from watching it. It just seemed thrown together to us. A lot of the footage was from the KET Bluegrass shows that had IMO really bad mixing. Bluegrass is so much more nuanced then most folks would ever realize and the subtleties of bands really working together was not often shown. The early years were covered OK but it mostly a rehash of what has been often written about. Bill Monroe, The Stanley Bros, Jim and Jessie, the Osborne Brothers got their due but it just didn’t seem cohesive. But I’ve read so much about Bluegrass and seen so many documentaries that I am likely biased. Neil Rosenberg was the highlight of the show for us. He was thoughtful, insightful and very well spoken.

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#552643 - 09/02/19 07:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: Janice & Bud]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

J&B,

I may still watch it, but if a documentary on bluegrass doesn't spend a healthy amount of time on people like JD Crowe, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, Mark O'Conner, Ricky Skaggs, Doc Watson, Vassar Clements, David Grisman, (I'm sure you get my drift), ... then it's not doing justice to the genre.

Anyone can pull names like Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe or Ralph Stanley out of a cursory google search on bluegrass. Unless they not only include those people, but go a bit deeper they're not really informed enough to even be working on a project like this.

Just an old curmudgeon's opinion. wink

#552700 - 09/03/19 07:27 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: bobcflatpicker]
pghboemike Offline
Veteran

if my memory is correct JD Crowe, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, Mark O'Conner, Ricky Skaggs, are represented by appearance and themselves providing commentary
i was pleasantly surprised by the coverage of women in bluegrass

for a person like myself who has little familiarity with bluegrass it served as an introduction

i appreciate the comments of those more knowledgeable than i on bluegrass as they provide more folks to research

Edited by pghboemike (09/03/19 07:30 AM)

#552714 - 09/03/19 08:37 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: pghboemike]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Clarence White and Tony Rice were ignored. These guys along with Doc Watson essentially added solo flat picking to the bluegrass world and they influenced every following generation in a huge manner. Chubby Wise who played in Monroe’s early group introduced a bluesy jazzy swing to bluegrass fiddle and he was ignored. He was a game changer for country fiddle. Bill Keith who introduced chromatic (more melodic) style banjo to bluegrass in one of Monroe’s groups was ignored. All the bass players were ignored. I think a history doc should be some what linear - covering all the phases over the years. This doc focused on the founders and the current generation while offering much less coverage to the middle years that produced some of the genres best music. Having babbled all that I would not argue that it doesn’t provide a decent intro to folks new to the genre.

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#552722 - 09/03/19 09:35 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: pghboemike]
Loc: Ohio
DSM Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Ohio
I though Ralph Stanley was a passing comment with no mention of his brother.

Other than that, it was pretty good.

...Deb

#552724 - 09/03/19 09:49 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: San Diego County
Frank Alves Offline
Apprentice

Loc: San Diego County
Have to agree somewhat with Janice & Bud on this. Definitely some oversights. Certainly leaving out Keith for the banjo and Watson, White, Rice, etc. was a big one. The guitar does seem to get short changed in these type of documentaries (see Ken Burn's Jazz.

Plus one of my pet peeves; voice over narration while the instrumentalists are soloing??? I remember once watching a program about Jimi Hendrix. No talking while he is singing, and then the narration starts when he takes a solo!

#552770 - 09/03/19 06:23 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The story of bluegrass music PBS [Re: pghboemike]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

I just finished watching it and I did enjoy it a lot. There were lots of things they could have done better but I still highly recommend watching it.

The biggest area they neglected was the acoustic guitar and it's role. Bluegrass is responsible the acoustic guitar moving from simply being a support instrument to a fixture as a lead instrument. As a result, guitar pioneers like Clarence White got no mention at all and even Tony Rice is barely mentioned, and then only as a member of some bands.

Tony is easily responsible for more Martin D28's being sold than anyone on the planet, (pure speculation on my part. LOL).

Still a must see if you're interested in the genre or want to learn more.

PG Music News
Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Special Extended!

The verdict is in, and everyone agrees that Xtra Styles PAK 7 is incredible!

There are 164 unbelievable new RealStyles that await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some surprising new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

The possibilities seem endless with these fully-produced styles, like atmospheric folk, Western swing chicken pickin', dreamy Southern rock, smooth jazz with world percussion, Brazilian samba, acoustic grunge, and '90s R&B. We've even included two great new MultiStyles that use up to eight substyles! Do yourself a favor and take home this comprehensive and imaginative collection of styles today!

SPECIAL EXTENDED!!! Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until October 31st! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here.

Mac user? You'll find your Xtra Styles PAKs here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 309 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac customers can download the latest FREE patch update here.

Summary of changes for Build 309:
Fixed: The Chord Builder is disabled if previously opened before using a modal dialog (eg. Style Picker, Set Tempo).
Fixed: The program might crash when selecting RealTracks in the Best RealTracks dialog (eg. #2541).
Fixed: Wrong notes in Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.
Improved: Higher dots-per-inch printing.
Added: [Print Chords Only] button added to the Print Options dialog.

EXTENDED! Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Ends October 31st!

You haven't missed our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special, which has been extended to October 31st!

There's still time to purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade at up to 50% off, and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

Plus, our latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 Build 2 Update Available!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 users can download the FREE Build 2 patch update here

Summary of Changes in Build 2:
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.
Fixed: Loading in a MusicXML file could result in MIDI notes of zero instead of the currect MIDI notes.
Fixed: Dragging a file into the tracks window didn't always result in the effects slot for the track being setup properly for the file type dragged in.
Fixed: When inserting hard rest, and answering Yes to question about removing notes for the peg, it would remove notes from both clefs instead of the clef that the rest was inserted on.
Fixed: Potential access violation when deleting a note in staff window.
Fixed: Potential jukebox access violation if there were songs with the entire path of the filename being 256 characters or greater loaded into jukebox.
Fixed: Jukebox not playing the playlist in correct order in certain situations involving stopping/restarting, etc.
Fixed: When loading in a MusicXML file that has a specific guitar fretboard defined that matches one of our fretboards, the guitar tablature type will now be set for the notation.
Fixed: Ability to load in .MXL (compresssed musicXML file) as well as ability to load normal noncompressed musicXML file with the new .musicxml extension instead of just .XML.
Fixed: Hammer ons, pull offs, and slides are now being saved to MusicXML files.
Fixed: Exceptionally jittery timing indicator in the notation window during playback compared to older versions of RealBand.
Fixed: If the start of a generated section of a song didn't have a chord entered at the beginning of the section, then it could default to a C major chord instead of the most recent chord prior to the section.
Fixed: Potential access violation if song has micro-pegs and multiple notes on a peg.
Fixed: Accidental element that specified whether a note was displayed as sharp/flat wasn't eing saved to XML, even though the correct pitch of the note itself was saved.

RealBand 2019 Build 5 Update Available!

All RealBand 2019 for Windows customers can download the latest FREE patch update (build 5) here.

Summary of Changes in Build 5 (Oct 10)
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for macOS Catalina

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac we added Drum Notation Support, and we didn't stop there! Other Notation Enhancements added in this new version are:

-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-Holding down the control key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-In the Notation Window Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-Notation is much clearer, not jagged, on retina screens.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-There is a keystroke entry mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, M to enter a third note, up/down cursor to change the pitch of the highlighted note, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

Read more about the Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac here. Watch this feature 'in action' with our new features video - jump to this topic when you click here.

...and don't forget - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac upgrades are ON SALE until October 15th, up to 50% off! Order now!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - Special Ends October 15th!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special is almost over! The special ends on October 15th - until then, save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade... and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

It's a GREAT time to order your upgrade to Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac, which is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our packages page for all the purchase options available.

Forum Stats
30231 Members
62 Forums
60219 Topics
508172 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
TheHoffs, briart, Joe Kingston, r3g1na15, TSK

30230 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 180
Noel96 148