You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#554168 - 09/10/19 11:35 PM [Songwriting] Need help with identifying a REALLY, REALLY old style from old time BIAB users
JayO Offline
Expert

Hey all,
This is probably a pretty strange request, but I recently came across some old cassette tapes that I used to use for fleshing out song ideas, back in the day.
I'm really hoping some other old time BIAB user can help me.

Now... this had to be about 20 -25 years ago (yeah I'm old frown ), but back then I used to make endless cassette tapes of my "incessant guitar noodling" blush over BIAB backing tracks for future song ideas.
I used to pipe BIAB MIDI from my old SE/30 Mac into a Roland U110 and an Alesis HR16 drum module, then into a small mixer and just noodle some guitar along with it so I could later come back and flesh it out.
So... I know this style is MIDI only (obviously it's way before RealTracks), and I know it had to fall somewhere between version 4 and version 12 of BIAB.

it's driving me crazy, because when I heard it I thought that this groove would exactly fit something I'm working on now (all these years later), but for the life of me I can not find an old style that sounds even close to this !
I didn't think to take notes back then, but there were 16 basic styles plus variations IIRC, now I wish I had written it down. blush

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I think I've been through every MIDI only style but still can't identify this one.
Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqkvqfgfjb375jp/Unknown%20Style.mp3?dl=0

- Jay

#554169 - 09/11/19 12:08 AM [Songwriting] Re: Need help with identifying a REALLY, REALLY old style from old time BIAB users [Re: JayO]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Jay,

I don't know styles from 25 years ago, but this might help.

Go into stylepicker and then...

1. click on "Clear" (#1 on image below) to clear any filters that might be present

2. click on the "Name" column (#2) to sort the list of styles alphabetically

3. scroll down to the styles that begin with ZZ (#3). There are a number of them. These are the styles that were built-in into BIAB and I suspect that the one you used will be amongst them. (Don't worry about the styles that begin with a hyphen, i.e. '-ZZ'.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

#554244 - 09/11/19 11:14 AM [Songwriting] Re: Need help with identifying a REALLY, REALLY old style from old time BIAB users [Re: JayO]
JayO Offline
Expert

Ah !
Thank you Noel, I will try that now !

I was sorting by date, and I'm thinking that possibly some of the date info may not be accurate in the StylePicker list.
The results do seem to be out of order when sorted that way, so I've been going down the list one by one.

DOH ! I forgot that ZZ was the designation of the original 16 (or however many) that were in the old Style menu.

Thanks again !

- Jay

#554567 - 09/13/19 07:31 AM [Songwriting] Re: Need help with identifying a REALLY, REALLY old style from old time BIAB users [Re: JayO]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

So, I've had a few cases similar to this. Old song, unknown tracks, unknown style, can't find the original file to edit it.

Since I really wanted to redo the song, I simply started from scratch. I selected a style that I liked and went from there. As things turned out, the second version was actually much better than the original.

I get the concept of wanting to make the song exactly like it was originally, but try a redo from scratch.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#554634 - 09/13/19 03:18 PM [Songwriting] Re: Need help with identifying a REALLY, REALLY old style from old time BIAB users [Re: JayO]
JayO Offline
Expert

Thanks Guitarhacker !
Yeah I wasn't really looking to exactly redo one, I just thought the vibe of this old song would be perfect for something else.

With Noel's help, I was able to narrow it down to one of the old original medium rock styles.
It does sound a bit dated now, especially when compared to all the newer RealTracks we have nowadays, but it was just the vibe I was looking for.

But, sometimes sounding a little bit "cheesy" is exactly what you are looking for. grin

Thanks again !

- Jay

#577826 - 01/25/20 11:17 AM [Songwriting] Re: Need help with identifying a REALLY, REALLY old style from old time BIAB users [Re: JayO]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Loc: Iceland
Late to the party and sounds like you've already cracked it, but this could've helped..or just for future refs if nothing else:

https://www.pgmusic.com/addons.styles.sets.php?set=00&os=mac

And then simply increase the digit in the path (set=00 to 01 etc) to get to demos of each set of those initial styles in release order.

PG Music News
Video Testimonial - Dennis Dearing Talks Band-in-a-Box®

Dennis remembers Band-in-a-Box® from years ago, but his connection to Mike Harrison and hearing him talk about the RealTracks is what really got him excited about the program!

Hear his thoughts and see how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin for his projects with his Video Testimonial:

https://youtu.be/WqmtoxfJwDw

It's been a great addition to my workflow!
-Dennis Dearing

To learn more about Dennis, check out his testimonial page here.

You can create your own video testimonial letting people know how you use the program too! Learn how here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

Forum Stats
32450 Members
68 Forums
65095 Topics
551504 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Richard W., Ukulele Joe, georgios, PALMA, newbestblog

32450 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 180
Jim Fogle 145