Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I don't get get it about that pic/emoji. It's a mad face and it shows up in that post implying that issue really upset you so bad you had to include it. That was not intended?

The "mad face" you see was NOT posted by Cerio! Cerio used an online service called TinyPic to post a screen capture when he posted this in 2016. But TinyPic went out of business recently so any images previously hosted there are now replaced by that image. This illustrates a disadvantage of this forum that does not allow uploading of images; sometimes they go away and whatever intelligence was contained in them for the forum goes away too.

BTW, in that post Peter thanked Cerio for the post!

Veteran
Veteran
Hmmm, OK. Yes, I know Peter said that but considering how minor that issue was that "mad" pic really seemed over the top to me and now it's some weird internet mistake? Well, I still have issues with Cerio but maybe not so many now. I agree with Roger about the grandstanding exit.

Jan, I can't let this go either. We went over your issues with Biab not using the higher extension chords in detail in your other threads. It's the RT's only that do not use those chords. Midi tracks for guitar and piano use every one of those chords, remember? I even posted notation pics showing that and you agreed. You do have a point about the bass so if you want to say that fine but to post here that Biab cannot handle anything other than 7th chords is unfair. Midi is a huge part of the program.

I also pointed out the problem with having the RT's play all those extensions which is they have to be recorded by the artist. Adding who knows how many new chords to a piano RT could double or even triple the file size. Even if the program can handle a RT file that big it makes logical sense that would greatly increase the generation times. Since there are already lots of posts complaining about that, what's the solution? I don't know but if doing that does greatly increase the generation time then you can handle the new complaints about that.

You can use the midi instruments for your complex chords and RT's for everything else and if you don't like the quality of the midi sounds then get a better synth.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Cerio #554258 09/11/19 10:10 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> Noticing that Biab doesn’t live up to its’ promise to play “all the chords” and really only knows 7 chords (7 7th chords to be precise) was another big let down.

Dzjang,

That's a feature called "Natural Arrangements", not a bug. You can turn the feature off Prefs-Display'Natural Arrangements-Never. That would turn it off for all songs, until you enable it again.

You can turn it off for a single song (via SongSettings button or Edit-Song Settings)

With the feature off, if you type | Gm9 | C9#11 |, the rhythm section will play those exact chords. With the feature on, the rhythm section will think more like | Gm7 | C7 | and play some embellishments based on those chords. This is how real musicians play (try handing Herbie Hancock | Gm9 | C9#11| on a leadsheet and see if he plays those exact chords) , but if you want the exact chords you are specifying, then turn that feature off. (similar to telling Herbie - please play those exact chords)

btw, that feature just affects jazz styles (not pop, or country)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Cerio #554259 09/11/19 10:20 AM
Expert
Expert
HI Bob

I posted a heads up about the demise of Tiny pics back at the beginning of AUG when those of us that images hosted there were informed .

Link to my post .

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=77586&Number=547674#Post547674

It is a pain but that’s what happens sometimes with free host!
One particular problem with this host was that you could host pics there without being a member. In this case of course you would not be notified of the closure.
So we may well see a lot of that little man where folks used it to insert diagrams and images.

Stay cool man!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 09/11/19 10:26 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hmmm, OK. Yes, I know Peter said that but considering how minor that issue was that "mad" pic really seemed over the top to me and now it's some weird internet mistake?

It is not "some weird internet mistake"! laugh But I see how it could be confusing if you are unfamiliar with how it works.

This forum does not allow uploading of images so if you wish to post a screenshot to illustrate your post you must do so somewhere else. Most folks here do not likely have access to their own server so they use free image hosting services like TinyPic.

First they create the image then they upload it to TinyPic. And finally they add the link to it in their BIAB forum post. Whenever the post is displayed that image is automatically retrieved from the external hosting and displayed in the post.

BUT, if the image is removed at some point in the future that post cannot display it any longer and instead will display a broken image icon or a placeholder image which, in this case, was that little "mad face" from TinyPic that you see in the post.

I wish the PG forum allowed uploading images instead of requiring 3rd-party hosting for this very reason. Over time, as forum users come and go, anything they posted in the form of an image will likely disappear. So, imagine a user like Pipeline who provides some really great step-by-step instructions for doing things in BIAB. And then imagine he stops using BIAB or at least stops using the forum. When it comes time to renew a hosting account or clear out some files those old BIAB forum post images will likely be forgotten and deleted. That means knowledge contained within this forum will go missing. And that is a shame.

Another reason to require uploading images instead of linking to them from a 3rd-party is the image can be changed at any time on the 3rd-party site, by the poster or by a hacker. What if someone decided to change all of those lovely step-by-step instructive images with p0rn? That p0rn would be displayed right along with the post until someone reported it and PGM removed the post.

As an example, below you will see an image of you and your new little pal. Lemme know when you have viewed this and then I will change it to something bad (not real bad) without ever touching this post!

NOTE: Your avatar cannot be changed in this manner because that image is uploaded to PGM forum and stored there! I simply downloaded a copy of your avatar and your little buddy to make the image! laugh

I agree with Roger about the grandstanding exit.

I don't disagree with you here. It would not be my style to leave in such a fashion either. Maybe he was just frustrated and blowing off some steam?

Cerio #554270 09/11/19 11:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Cerio,

It's always sad to see familiar names leave. I hope that good things happen for you on your new journey.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Cerio #554276 09/11/19 12:23 PM
Expert
Expert
HI John

Just to say in case some folk don’t know that while you cant upload images to the forum so that they show up in the body of the post at point that you may want to insert them.
Unless you use a third party site.

You can providing you are in the full post screen not the quick reply screen .

Attach an image at the end of the post using the file manager at the bottom of screen, providing it is below a certain size 2M and reasonable dimensions about 800 wide seems fine but 640X480 should be readable for most folk.
Mike

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
House of blues pent.jpg (42.6 KB, 398 downloads)
0994f2e51b33ce5beb10a5d502a341c2.gif (15.54 KB, 396 downloads)
Last edited by Mike Head; 09/11/19 12:25 PM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Mike Head #554278 09/11/19 12:35 PM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI John

Just to say in case some folk don’t know that while you cant upload images to the forum so that they show up in the body of the post at point that you may want to insert them.

Attach an image at the end of the post using the file manager at the bottom of screen, providing it is below a certain size 2M and reasonable dimensions about 800 wide seems fine but 640X480 should be readable for most folk.
Mike

Hi Mike!

WOW! Thank you for that! Now I wish everyone would use that and stop using 3rd-party hosting so the forum knowledge would stay put!!

Cerio #554279 09/11/19 01:23 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
@ Cerio, I can hear you ! I know how you feel, I have been there done that many a time from shear frustration, and think why do I bother.
It really puts me off and makes me want to give up when other users are over defensive about RealBand and Biab and deny there are bugs and crashes, I won't mention any names but jazzmammal knows who I'm talking about wink how many new users have been pounced on never to return ?
Cerio you have contributed so much over the years I would suggest having a good long break from it and see what 2020 brings.

Cerio #554299 09/11/19 02:32 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
All software has limitations and this includes Band in a Box of course. I tend to use the software in quite a straightforward manner and use it to output wave files which I then work on in my DAW. There are loads of limitations such as the 4 chords a bar, RealDrums as stereo file, 255 bar limit etc etc. Overall though I have not encountered many errors and found it to be pretty stable. Also I really can’t think of any other programs that offer what Band in a Box can do and which is pretty remarkable despite any issues it may have.

I hope you reconsider your viewpoint and give the program (and the forum) another chance. Whatever you decide I wish you all the best with your music making.

Teunis #554373 09/11/19 10:18 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teunis
I must be doing something wrong. Fair enough I use BAIB simply, just laying out simple music sometimes complex chords but I never experience a number of the issues I read about here. I’ve found BIAB to be extremely reliable. Ok so sometimes I don’t get what I want first go, so then I change things maybe redo parts. Mix and match RealTracks to suit or maybe generate a MIDI part so I can edit it. But that is a part of the experience.

Whenever I have had an issue it was almost invariably something I’ve done, generally through my own impatience (clicking two things at once or trying to access ASIO twice creating a barf). But I rarely have an issue with BIAB itself.

My two bobs worth.

Tony

+1 on that.
I think BIAB is trying too hard to be all things to all men.
Mostly I stick to its core concept of Arranging and creating SGU's to become my backing tracks and mostly (lol) all is well
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Cerio #554397 09/12/19 12:54 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok, my current BIAB version of BIAB is 2018.

Having said that, I've been using BIAB since v. 2004, and the only problem I ever had with it in the at least seven different computers I've had it on, was upgrading Windows from v. 8.1 to v. 10, which it took about three minutes to solve via the chat.

Of course, I haven't been facing all the problems associated with both the new 2019 features and the 64-bit recoding of the program, so I can't really fully understand the level of grievance you've had so you've decided to throw the towel, so to speak.

The only good thing is, as you already paid for the program, you can re-install it and re-use it once you'll realize the big mistake you've made uninstalling it.

Yours very truly,

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Pipeline #554424 09/12/19 05:43 AM
Veteran
Veteran
OP
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

It really puts me off and makes me want to give up when other users are over defensive about RealBand and Biab and deny there are bugs and crashes, I won't mention any names but jazzmammal knows who I'm talking about wink how many new users have been pounced on never to return ?

Guilty. It's called loyalty to Peter and his Co.I still stand by my opinion that there is more user error than bugs.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI John

Mike

Hi Mike!

WOW! Thank you for that! Now I wish everyone would use that and stop using 3rd-party hosting so the forum knowledge would stay put!!

Wow indeed JJJ. That's only been available for 6 or 8 years? Maybe longer. That's why I didn't understand the problem with that pic.

Pipeline, first I want you to know I really appreciate what you do. We're completely cool as far as I'm concerned. My only issue with just a few certain posters is their strident attitudes. This or that thing MUST be done. They're very demanding in their attidude. They imply if it's not done, the program is a POS, PGM is an unresponsive company. They continually say PGM is not responsive to their users because some of these things have been talked about for years and NOTHING IS DONE!!! They love to use exclamation point!!! It's like posting in ALL CAPS IT'S LIKE SHOUTING ALL THE TIME. That's that attitude I think is unfair and I'll call them out on it. But it's only a few.

And the biggest single thing certain people will continually say is they can't live with Biab because of all the crashing. I'll ask what crashing? They never respond with details. I'll tell them Biab is very stable tell us what you did and they say something like all it does is crash man, it's terrible. They never give us the details and then they may disappear from the forum. Does that mean I chased them away?

Cerio just did that with this thread. I asked him several times to give us the details of his crash. What did I get back? Squat. And he's done that before, I called him on it and got nothing.

Yet he leaves us with this: Biab crashes so much, I just can't stand it, I'm done! Bye bye.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Cerio #554439 09/12/19 07:48 AM
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I'm still perplexed by the grandstanding, attention-seeking exit. If you want to leave, go. Making a big show of it is ridiculous IMO.

I've found BIAB to be very stable, and the company to be very responsive. I certainly can't speak for others' experiences, but that's mine. Furthermore, if I have questions or need advice, I come to these forums - I have found the users to be very informed and helpful. Should I ever have a problem or issue, I'll take that up directly with PG Music privately (I'm betting if I do, my concerns will be addressed promptly). If, for whatever reason, I become dissatisfied - don't see that happening - I'll just stop using the program and stop frequenting these boards.

What I WON'T do is submit a "you won't have ol' RB to kick around anymore!" post on my way out. I don't have a high enough opinion of myself to think anyone would care.

My 2 cents.

Cerio #554443 09/12/19 08:03 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Roger,
Thanks. To be honest, we’ve been flat out busy on the Mac version of BiaB 2019 over the last few months (64 bit program and VST/AU plugin), but that is released now, and we can be more responsive to individual Windows issues that arise. There have been over 100 added features and fixes to BiaB 2019 since its release in Dec. 2019, detailed here https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#632

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Wow indeed JJJ. That's only been available for 6 or 8 years? Maybe longer. That's why I didn't understand the problem with that pic.

Do you understand now? The way the forum is set up it encourages the use of images stored elsewhere and that is why many (most?) users use it that way. And it IS a problem because of the reasons I stated.

Cerio #554450 09/12/19 09:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Cerio has been very loyal to PG Music products.

Users may not remember or know, but Cerio was the first, and as far as I know only, third party to offer aftermarket RealDrums. How much devotion or love of product does an action like that illustrate?

Sometimes a break is necessary for a variety of reasons. I hope Cerio will consider a break from the forum sufficient but he must do what's best for him.

I wish him well and hope to see his return sometime in the future.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Jim Fogle #554456 09/12/19 10:19 AM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You are right Jim, I purchased all of Cerio's drums from RealDrumsforBiab.com they are great and still use them.

We all get frustrated at times and post !!!!! mad mad mad
but we always come back as nothing can do what Biab does !!
Maybe the yelling and complaining helps as we do now have 64bit, a Plugin and a Mac Cat Compat 64bit and Plugin, and that's a quantum leap for PG.

Pipeline #554461 09/12/19 11:25 AM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Maybe the yelling and complaining helps as we do now have 64bit, a Plugin and a Mac Cat Compat 64bit and Plugin, and that's a quantum leap for PG.

Exactly!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,505
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195