Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#554750 09/14/19 05:00 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A song I wrote with Danny Mayo and Bucky Jones

Once it was demoed, Bucky took it to Reba - they were friends - (we all thought she would "tear it up") - but she passed on it.

I decided to do a BIAB version since I had not recorded it (other than the work tape the day it was written).

I will post a link to the Nashville demo - and talk a bit about how it was done - in the post right below this.

If you choose to comment, you might want to do that BEFORE you listen to the Nashville demo.
It (the Nashville demo) is done by the best in the business (players and singer) so comparing mine might not be fair... smile

WHEREVER YOU GO

the day you came into this world
was the proudest of my life
i prayed to god to help me
teach you wrong from right
i've seen you through bumps and bruises
doctored your skinned knees
i've held you close on stormy nights
whenever you needed me
but i know with each passing day
we're closer to the time
you'll walk away into your own world
and slowly slip from mine

i can't always keep you safe or hold your hand
   or mend your broken hearts
   but i'll put you on the right road
   and give you a loving start
   when you're out there on your own
   may it comfort you to know
   a part of me
   will always be
   with you wherever you go

i love you with all my heart
that's the best that i can do
i've tried to give you what you need
the rest is up to you

i can't always keep you safe or hold your hand
   or mend your broken hearts
   but i'll put you on the right road
   and give you a loving start
   when you're out there on your own
   may it comfort you to know
   a part of me
   will always be
   with you wherever you go

i'll be with you
   wherever you go

The BAND:

RealTracks in style: ~~700:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~~2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3079:Mandolin, Soloist BluesyPopAndy Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 3075:Fiddle, Background BluesyPopAndy Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2087:Piano, Rhythm PopBalladJohn Ev 085 (rendered using TruePianos)
Drums are pieced together using Loops from Drums On Demand and chunks from that as single samples.

Harmony: Janice Merritt

Thanks for listening.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here is the Nashville demo of "Wherever You Go"...

If you thought you wanted to compete in the Nashville songwriting market through the 1990's and into the 2000's (the Golden Era of Nashville Songwriting, I'd say), then know that these are the type demos you were competing against.
By the hundreds - for every pitch opportunity (if you managed to get access).
They (the screeners) were popping demo after demo in the player that had been recorded by the best session players (the same guys who played on the records) and the best demo singers (many of whom were being considered for record deals). The demos generally sounded like they should be on the radio - as is.

They were not cheap. They averaged $300-$500 per song.
And the better players expected to do sessions that recorded several songs in a block. They didn't do "single songs" - not worth their time. So a full session would run $2000 (or more) - including musicians, demo singer, engineer and studio time. That might end up being 5 or 6 songs.
Often that was a publisher demoing songs from several different writers.
Needless to say, they (publishers) were VERY picky about what songs got selected to be recorded. They had to believe they were HITS. No question.
Publishers generally foot the bill for demo sessions. Most staff contracts specify that the publisher recoups those cost from royalties before the writer is paid - if you ever get a song recorded (that makes some money).
The "big name" writers often paid their own studio sessions - just their songs, of course - because if they had radio hits, they had the money. And the more songs you have with quality (radio ready) demos, the more likely you get more cuts.
And these are people who know how to write. That goes without saying. Otherwise you are wasting that $400. Really.

So...
You have a writing session that ends with a completed song. This might be a couple of hours.
At the end of the session, you record a "work tape". A guitar/vocal on a portable cassette player, typically.
Decide on a demo singer and send them a copy of the work tape - so they get familar with the song and can determine the key it needs to be in for them.
Decide what players/instruments are needed - what their availablity is.
Book studio time.
During the session... when it is time for your song, they will play the work tape as the studio musicians listen. As they listen, they will write out charts (the Nashville Numbers system). They will discuss that amongst themselves and may listen again (whole or parts). Tweak the chart if needed.
(For the songs I was involved with, I generally brought along a numbers chart that I had done - I knew the system well - which made it easier and fastest to get started - they could modify it as needed).
They then run through the song. There may or may not be someone in the vocal booth to provide a scratch/reference vocal (In the case of "Wherever You Go", I was doing my best falsetto, because it was being done as a female demo. Not sure how useful THAT was?!?!).
The players might discuss a few parts.
The engineer hits Record, someone (drummer) counts it off and they go.
Typically, it is one take. There might be a quick overdub of leads or fills (though they are often played real-time) or the bass player punching in a missed note, etc.
Tracks are done. Maybe a half hour per song start to finish.
The demo singer(s) might be scheduled for the session after the tracks session or another day.
When they do the vocals, it is a similar situation. They get some levels, hit record and go. One or two takes and they are done. If harmonies are needed, it is often the same singer. (the good ones are booked constantly and are on a tight schedule to get to their next studio session).

I was never present during the mixing, so I cannot offer what time that took or how that was accomplished.
A week or so later, you pick up a finished product and look for opportunities to get it pitched...

Recorded at County Q Studio. Unfortunately, I do not recall the names of the session players on this. Danny set up the session and arranged for the musicians and the demo singer ("Tammy", maybe??. She was an incredible singer and a very attractive girl-next-door type. Why she did not become a star has always been a mystery to me)

Your first demo using Band-In-A-Box will cost you about the same as a single Nashville demo (one song).
BUT every one after that.... costs $0. ZERO!
(And you are using those same studio musicians!)
Now, if you can just get Trisha Yearwood to drop by the house to do that vocal...

WHEREVER YOU GO - Nashville Demo

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Ok, so I listened to the BIAB version of the song. Before I listen to the Nashville demo, I'd like to give my impressions on the BIAB version.

In short: you made me stop and listen, then you made me cry. Your voice is stunning and carries the song beautifully - and the lyrics are the bread and butter of this song. This really deserves to be a hit - and the last verse, with Janice Merritt singing the harmonies with you, just takes it someplace else. You hit the ceiling, so to speak, and then - with that last verse - went through it and beyond it.

Genuinely and really beautiful - well done. I will now read the Nashville demo post, listen to it and see what I think of the demo part of things afterwards! But a good song shines no matter what, I think - and this really IS good (to understate things as those of us that live in England are sometimes prone to do, haha!).

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
D'you know, I much prefer the BIAB version - because it's SO much more sincere. Yes, the voice on the demo is probably run through auto-tune and everything ... it sounds more technically polished, etc., but that comes at the expense of sincerity and musicality a little bit. Your more gravelly voice MEANS every line - and, like I said, when the harmonies kick in, wow.

Then again, I've always been one for "slightly more 'unpolished' " recordings, for want of a much better phrase - more human, for me, so that's my two cents' worth. But - I stand by every word.

I just had to listen to your BIAB version again, after the Nashville demo. This is NOT to belittle in any way the demo itself ... it's just my personal view and preference, for reasons stated.

P.S. the demo process sounds scary, haha!!! Much better BIAB, for me ... much more cost-efficient and, as you say, the standard of BIAB is through the roof, I also find, so ...

Last edited by musician17; 09/14/19 05:51 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

A great backstory on this song. What an interesting history it has had.

I listened to both versions and can honestly say that I prefer your rendition. The demo is excellent, but does not have the warmth and feeling that you and Janice put into this version.

The song itself is really outstanding. Listening to you perform it it, I could hear this on an Alan Jackson record.

I'm surprised it was never picked up - it is so good.

Loved it!

Bob

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Amazing story Floyd. I've been enjoying your work for a while now. Loved the "little bit of me" video showing the whole process of how it gets done.
Thanks for all the info about how the demo process works. Really makes you appreciate what BIAB can do.

I listened to both songs and frankly did not really like the Nashville version. The drums have too much reverb or stadium sound.

Really liked your vocal a lot better.
From the video I notice that you turn your head to the side of the mic. Does that help you get your mellow tones?
Really enjoy your music.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Just a couple of thoughts. Before the demo: You killed it. You gave Dad a place in the music he rarely receives in this present climate. The sincerity of the delivery and the lyrics were out of this world.
After the demo. Reba? Thoughtful of you, but no, the female listeners want to be told they can pilot jet fighters, not have kids. When the subject of children comes up, they'd rather talk about pain of childbirth or how little junior is going to be the next great voice. Very risky for a female to take the chance riling up the (you know what) base. In this day and age, it is the men who press for children and family; unless of course you are talking about the social butterflies, always up for another kid. This would be a great song for, say, someone in the George Strait organization. I know Bubba writes, but don't know that he performs. But that is the idea. That is the zip code. Dallas based might be more fruitful than Nashville based. New York or Los Angeles, forget it. That would not be a good career move for any talent based out of there. By the same token, your own demo was way better. Incidentally, God is still capitalized in Tennesee.
That song bleeds traditional values and exceptional masculinity, which could be the key to who you present it to and how you present it. Vince Gill? He would know. Buddy Green, rocker turned Christian artist? On that note, maybe you have a crossover on your hands -- Amy Grant, or, like I say, Buddy Green. Check out his songs on You Tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73-6P09xaAE
Following my reasoning? If you are interested in discussing that aspect, please call.

Last edited by edshaw; 09/14/19 11:53 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi floyd,

This is a wonderful write and listening to you and Janice singing it gave me goosebumps and a tonne of images of my own children when they were young flooded through my mind.

I really liked the song format that you used... verse, chorus, bridge, chorus. It's not usual but it can be very effective as you've shown us all in this creation.

Some of the words and phrases that came to mind as I listened were: poignant, bittersweet, so glad you came along, I'm proud of you, life is worth the journey, heartfelt, touching. I really like where your singing and your songwriting took me smile

Now I'm off to listen to the demo.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. OK... now I've listened to the Nashville demo. I much prefer your version and listening to you and Janice. There is a noticeable amount of 'brilliance' created by high frequencies in the Nashville version that wasn't friendly to my ears because it's not what I'm used to hearing. Your version had a richness and warmth to the overall tone that the Nashville version did not. I suspect that if Nashville re-did this demo today, it would sound more aligned to your presentation.

Last edited by Noel96; 09/14/19 03:11 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool bit of history - the process as was & often still is.
The Nashville demo sounds like it was intended for the charts - big, brash & bright but the vocal lacks warmth - it was only a demo after all.
The BIAB version is more engaging, there's warmth and emotion. The harmonies are natural and sweet.
the only thing I'd take from the demo would be a touch more brightness as the BIAB seems a little sepia compared to the other's neon.
LOVELY stuff.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not gonna lie - I liked the "sheen" and production of the Nashville version. There were bits that seemed a better match in the Nashville version, like the climb into the first chorus.

Plus, louder is always better, right? wink

But... your vocals sold the song to me in a way the demo didn't, pulling harder on the heartstrings. And that's the most important part, because (to me) the really good songs evoke a strong emotional response.

There may be any number of reasons Reba passed on the song, but listening to both versions, I think lyrically the song tips a bit more to the male perspective. From the start:

the day you came into this world
was the proudest of my life

seems a bit more like something a guy would say. "Proud" isn't a word I've heard a mom use to describe childbirth.

Similarly,

i prayed to god to help me
teach you wrong from right

sounds (to me) like a dad sort of thing.

The POV just seemed a better fit with a male singer.

Then again, I'm from California, so what do I know about traditional values? grin

Love the story, excellent song. Thanks for posting this!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really enjoyed both versions but I like the Nashville version better.
Great story to accompany two great recordings.
Well done Floyd. Rob4580

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, I've listened to your BIAB version.

Just a wonderful song! One of your best vocals, sincere and emotive and great tone.

Band sounds great, drums are loud and proud.

And your mixes always make me strive to do better with my mixes.

Tip of the hat to Janice of course, always enjoy hearing her!

Now on to the studio demo ....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow! Tough call. That studio demo is very good indeed! Man, she can sing!

Overall I like the Nashville version better to be honest. They are both very good, just different.

Sounds like a hit to me.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful Floyd. Thank you for the story on recording the demo. Such an interesting process. It is such a wonder what makes a song a hit and how a person can become a star. The young lady that sang the song had a beautiful voice. This song lyric and with your other songs was just excellent. I liked both versions of the song. Well done..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thanks so much for the back-story. I wouldn't have stood a chance...even with a really fine song.

I had some trouble streaming the demo version, but what I heard, I didn't think the "band" was better. Perhaps the only place it was was in the fiddle opening quoting the vocal melody--something not so straight-forward easy to accomplish with RT's. Besides, once the durn thing is written, every version is a cover. Peter Jackson (film director) said his films were not finished until he sent them to the studio for distribution. There's a message in that for songs, I think.

I hope if the lady is not a star that she is still making a good living without the hazards of fame and the road. But truth be told, I thought your voice carried the song "better".

If you'll forgive me, I do have a couple of crits. First--I am not taken with the line "teach you wrong from right". Besides it being in reverse order to the way I've always heard the phrase, there is some loss of meaning in subtext, as well as hearing "teach you wrong" before the phrase is completed. Second, I think it was unnecessary to embellish the melody in the chorus with those added "up" notes at the end of certain phrases: "heart", "start", "know". Maybe you were aiming to not "resolve too often".

Of course, both of those 'crits' may be assuming you didn't carefully construct things that way. And if you did, you're right and I'm wrong.

Anyway, a fine way to spend some time this evening listening to FJ and Janice. Thanks.

Last edited by Tangmo; 09/15/19 04:22 AM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musician17
Ok, so I listened to the BIAB version of the song. Before I listen to the Nashville demo, I'd like to give my impressions on the BIAB version.

In short: you made me stop and listen, then you made me cry. Your voice is stunning and carries the song beautifully - and the lyrics are the bread and butter of this song. This really deserves to be a hit - and the last verse, with Janice Merritt singing the harmonies with you, just takes it someplace else. You hit the ceiling, so to speak, and then - with that last verse - went through it and beyond it.

Genuinely and really beautiful - well done. I will now read the Nashville demo post, listen to it and see what I think of the demo part of things afterwards! But a good song shines no matter what, I think - and this really IS good (to understate things as those of us that live in England are sometimes prone to do, haha!).

D'you know, I much prefer the BIAB version - because it's SO much more sincere. Yes, the voice on the demo is probably run through auto-tune and everything ... it sounds more technically polished, etc., but that comes at the expense of sincerity and musicality a little bit. Your more gravelly voice MEANS every line - and, like I said, when the harmonies kick in, wow.

Then again, I've always been one for "slightly more 'unpolished' " recordings, for want of a much better phrase - more human, for me, so that's my two cents' worth. But - I stand by every word.

I just had to listen to your BIAB version again, after the Nashville demo. This is NOT to belittle in any way the demo itself ... it's just my personal view and preference, for reasons stated.

P.S. the demo process sounds scary, haha!!! Much better BIAB, for me ... much more cost-efficient and, as you say, the standard of BIAB is through the roof, I also find, so ...

James - thanks for those very nice comments. It is quite nice to find that folks are finding my vocal (with the addition of Janice) has more "warmth" than the demo...
I can assure you the young lady who sang the demo needed no AutoTune of any kind - she could sing like an angel (and that was in the days before AutoTune was used much at all, especially in Nashville...). But the vocal is processed differently - having the "sheen" that many have alluded to...

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Haha, sorry - I should have used my brains before making that silly AutoTune comment! The lady in the demo sounded wonderful - I hope I may be forgiven the comment given that she was so incredibly in tune! But, that said, I still prefer your version ... more real, to my ears at least, if that makes sense.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Ok, I've listened to your BIAB version.

Just a wonderful song! One of your best vocals, sincere and emotive and great tone.

Band sounds great, drums are loud and proud.

And your mixes always make me strive to do better with my mixes.

Tip of the hat to Janice of course, always enjoy hearing her!

Now on to the studio demo ....

Ditto that...Beautiful: the inspiration behind the song, the way love is expressed in the lyric and above all the warmth in your vocals.
Can`t imagine the demo will match how personal and sincere this sounds, but I`ll give it a play.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,
Your Nashville demo story is interesting and a little daunting.
Listening to your song done up this way completely changes it for me; the singer is obviously very good; I just didn`t feel anything when she sings the "I love you with all my heart" core bridge lines. The processing takes something away I guess, but there`s no substitute for the goosebumps you get when the singer digs deep to deliver, as you do.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks for mentioning my harmony. I knew this song was very special the first time I heard it!

Janice

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,306
Posts731,341
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213