Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Hi Bernt,

Noel has answered exactly what the issue you are experiencing is. It is related to the external MIDI sound module that is reproducing the audio sounds from the MIDI data commands coming from BiaB.

Replace the MIDI sound module with one of higher quality and your sounds would definitely improve.

What sound module are you using?

Do you have VSTi/DXi checked in the MIDI/Audio Drivers setup options, and have chosen a software synth (see image below)? If so, which one?

Hi Videotrack
Yes, software synth and the setup looks the same as your screen shot except for the MIDI driver box is not ticked.

I will right now try and download the Kontakt-Player and see if that helps. I really need clarinet, piano and trumpet or cornet for my practice home band.

Band in a Box
Latest: ULTRA 2020 (734) on Win 10
And: MEGA 2020 (720) on Windows 7

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. But everyone here is so advanced with this stuff that I did not understand the half of it.

Anyway,
I installed the Kontakt-Player as suggested and read some of the manual but I still have ZERO idea whether it must run as plugin or stand alone nor how to link it into BIB.
It's MIDI setup output once again ends up in the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. I cannot get it to appear in the BIB MIDI setup either.

The Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth will not install successfully at this stage.

Band in a Box

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: berntd
Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. But everyone here is so advanced with this stuff that I did not understand the half of it.

Anyway,
I installed the Kontakt-Player as suggested and read some of the manual but I still have ZERO idea whether it must run as plugin or stand alone nor how to link it into BIB.
It's MIDI setup output once again ends up in the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. I cannot get it to appear in the BIB MIDI setup either.

The Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth will not install successfully at this stage.

Did you watch the videos that I linked earlier? Watch them until the end (especially the one titled "How to locate and install..." Towards the end of the video I actually load a bunch of plugins, including Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5

Also, once that's done, keep in mind that in Kontakt you need to load an Ensemble (ens.) first.

Editing to add screenshot

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Kontakt A Edit.png (94.08 KB, 160 downloads)
Last edited by DeaconBlues09; 06/17/19 10:50 PM.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have not yet watched all your kindly linked videos. Time is of the essence as I really need to practice music (my teacher will complain - again). I will get onto it right away.
BTW: Thank you for all the help!

Band in a Box

Journeyman
Journeyman
I have not yet watched all your kindly linked videos. Time is of the essence as I really need to practice music (my teacher will complain - again). I will get onto it right away.
BTW: Thank you for all the help!

No worries! I specifically made those videos because I feel that if a picture is worth a thousand words, and step-by-step video is worth at least 10,000!

I actually want to make a whole series of videos on MIDI, but I need to get a better headset to connect to my new desktop and get familiar with a better recording program that automatically ducks the soundcard playback when my voice comes in.

Work is crazy busy now as well, but my time frees up a bit late-summer, beginning of autumn, so stay tuned :-)

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ok, I now had a few glasses of wine to drown my frustration...

I have watched the videos but I am none the wiser except that it is even more involved than I first thought.

@DeaconBlues, you show and mention so many tech terms, acronyms and show folders and screens in those videos that I simply do not have.
The installation of the Kontakt-Player did not produce these either. Or did it somewhere? And you also mentioned that it needs an ensemble first. Say what?

It appears that Without a (really) basic step by step guide on what to do (Pgmusic where can I find that??), I do not think that I will be able to get a better sound out of Band in a Box MIDI styles. :-(

Unfortunately the few styles I mostly want for traditional jazz and dixieland etc. are all MIDI only. It was not really clear that it would take a huge technical know-how beyond actual music making (or a huge additional expense for synth. equipment) to try and get it to sound half way decent when I purchased the BIB.
Unless I am just missing something?

Band in a Box

Journeyman
Journeyman
Ok, I now had a few glasses of wine to drown my frustration...

I have watched the videos but I am none the wiser except that it is even more involved than I first thought.

@DeaconBlues, you show and mention so many tech terms, acronyms and show folders and screens in those videos that I simply do not have.
The installation of the Kontakt-Player did not produce these either. Or did it somewhere? And you also mentioned that it needs an ensemble first. Say what?

It appears that Without a (really) basic step by step guide on what to do (Pgmusic where can I find that??), I do not think that I will be able to get a better sound out of Band in a Box MIDI styles. :-(

Unfortunately the few styles I mostly want for traditional jazz and dixieland etc. are all MIDI only. It was not really clear that it would take a huge technical know-how beyond actual music making (or a huge additional expense for synth. equipment) to try and get it to sound half way decent when I purchased the BIB.
Unless I am just missing something?

So I know this may seem like a somewhat unusual offer, but if you would feel comfortable enough for me to so, I would be glad to log into your computer via Teamveiwer at a time of mutual convenience and set everything up for you (I'm pretty sure that Sydney and Eilat Israel are in similar timezones, and I do a lot of troubleshooting for a work colleague via Teamviewer as we both work remotely...)

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

So I know this may seem like a somewhat unusual offer, but if you would feel comfortable enough for me to so, I would be glad to log into your computer via Teamveiwer at a time of mutual convenience and set everything up for you (I'm pretty sure that Sydney and Eilat Israel are in similar timezones, and I do a lot of troubleshooting for a work colleague via Teamviewer as we both work remotely...)

Oops Sydney and Eilat Israel I would think would be 7 hours apart with Sydney in the lead.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

Oops Sydney and Eilat Israel I would think would be 7 hours apart with Sydney in the lead.

Tony

Oooops, that's so embarrassing!!! I was thinking of South Africa, which is only one hour behind me. I always confuse those two [cringe]

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
That is a really kind offer!!
But it should surely be possible for anyone buying
BIB to get this sorted.

Worst of all, And I am actually a computer programmer - would you believe it?

I have now had correspondence with the Coolsoft VirtualSynth person and apparently there is a bug, preventing installation. He linked me a registry patch file. I now have that working.

I can get that to come up in BIB and I can get it to sound different. by changing the Midi output driver to VitualSynth #1.
It sounds different (ok better) and has reverb in it but the drums sound like the beat is back to front.

What can I try next?

Still no luck with the Kontakt-Player

Band in a Box

Journeyman
Journeyman
That's so odd.

If you want to load Kontakt, you could totally ignore the Coolsoft VirtualSynth thingy.

Would you mind updating your profile's signature to add your specs, including operating system, and which version of BiaB you're using?

Also, can refer back to the "locating and installing..." video and cite the exact time in your video where everything goes wrong?

Journeyman
Journeyman
Incidentally, this is the file path to load in Kontakt

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screen 1.png (166.88 KB, 143 downloads)
screen 2.png (118.78 KB, 142 downloads)

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Signature updated.
I have the suggested path and there are only 3 files in there.

I lost it as I do not understand what I am supposed to achieve.

Here is what I have so far: Please elaborate or correct...

1) BIB outputs MIDI onto tracks for different instruments. As in piano.
2) The BIB output pipes into the input some sort of MIDI driver.
3) The MIDI driver output goes into a virtual synthesizer.
4) This synthesizer uses font 5) files ??? or something ??? to generate output into the Audio driver / device.

To make it sound better, I need to replace
a) The synthesizer device /driver 4) or the font files 5)?

Or is this all wrong and the font files are an alternative to changing the synthesizer driver?

I really do no know.

kontakt native instruments.jpg (106.39 KB, 136 downloads)
Last edited by berntd; 06/18/19 02:24 AM.

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
If it helps at all ...I am afraid BIAB 2019 really made a mess of the midi synths. In the old days (last year) we would just recommend you shell out the 29$ for Coyote forte and problem solved. Since 2019 the lack of compatibility between the 32 vrs 64 bit applications combined with the introduction of some rather wanky 3rd party non-GM free midi sound players is totally a step backwards for this program. Hang in there, things will get better. Smarter people then us will figure it out and get the midi synths in BIAB back to where you don't need a music-engineering degree to set things up.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I added the vst kontakt4.dll in the plugin dialog as per your kind screen shots.

But after that, nothing looks different in that plugin dialog dropdown box. I alos added the *out.dll. No difference observable.

Band in a Box

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey,

I will try and see if I can carve out some time this evening to record a video and post to Youtube later.

Sorry I can't respond to all your questions at the moment, as I have some work to catch up on.

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
If it helps at all ...I am afraid BIAB 2019 really made a mess of the midi synths. In the old days (last year) we would just recommend you shell out the 29$ for Coyote forte and problem solved. Since 2019 the lack of compatibility between the 32 vrs 64 bit applications combined with the introduction of some rather wanky 3rd party non-GM free midi sound players is totally a step backwards for this program. Hang in there, things will get better. Smarter people then us will figure it out and get the midi synths in BIAB back to where you don't need a music-engineering degree to set things up.

Far out! So it is not just me then. I feel a bit better now. My engineering degree is not even much help for this:)

Band in a Box

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

Far out! So it is not just me then. I feel a bit better now. My engineering degree is not even much help for this:)

Glad you asked this question because I have been going nuts trying to figure this out. Will keep a watch on this thread.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Did you actually click on the Kontakt .dll file that appears in your screenshot?

It may be worth pointing out that unlike Reaper and most other DAWs and hosts, which have built in "browsers" that quick-scan and load up the contents of a folder, with BiaB you have to *select* the relevant file.

Expert
Expert
Hi

Glad you are getting to grips with Coolsoft.
Which sound fount did you try , did you try the Timbres of heaven, or ChoriumRevA
As mentioned in the link in my other post

(Extract from my web page with links)
SOUND FONTS

My personal favourite at the moment is the excellent Timbres Of Heaven By Don Allen (219 MB uncompressed).
Link below:

http://midkar.com/soundfonts/index.html

Another nice sound font if you want something with a slightly warmer sound is ChoriumRevA

http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?extra/ChoriumRevA.rar

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,349
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213