You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#558539 - 10/10/19 07:13 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Remaster to eliminate clipping?
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

To improve a song, I did another mixdown and master. The result was a song that was too loud and in the red consistently. Has that clipping become a permanent part of the audio? Should I start over from the protected original or try to fix with remaster/remix?
TASCAM Digital deck

#558548 - 10/10/19 07:50 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I would go back to the source and redo. That being said, there are audio editors that can help remove the clipping, but it's better to go back to the source.

LaptopBeast HP Win7Pro64, 8GB
AudioBeast ASUS Win10Pro64, 16GB
VideoBeast HP Win10Pro64, 8GB

BB-RB2020/UMC404HD/Casio Kbds/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
http://www.sus4chord.com

#558549 - 10/10/19 07:50 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
You won't be able to edit wav files saved in the clipped format. You'll need to go back to whatever level you were before boosting the signals. We would need more info on what software was in the chain as you went from your final mix to mastering, etc.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2019, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#558573 - 10/10/19 10:25 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Thank you for that. I had earlier tried a remaster. The results were not good. This are BiaB WAV renders mixed down in Reaper and rendered to two tracks. So far, so good. I transfer them then in real time to a Tascam digital recorder which has mixdown and master modes. Usually, it works out all right; but, this time, the level got out of control. (i.e. I lost it.)
Thanks for the advice. I'll go back to the original files and transfer them anew.

Edited by edshaw (10/10/19 04:10 PM)
TASCAM Digital deck

#558594 - 10/10/19 12:10 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
edshaw,

One way to think of clipping is to imagine each wave file sample as a bucket. When there is clipping each clipped bucket fills to overflowing and spillage occurs. What's spilled is lost and can not be recovered.

Restoration software looks at adjoining samples and calculates from the good samples what the lost information might be but it is just an approximation.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#558599 - 10/10/19 12:18 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Yes, do it over. It’s time wasted to attempt to work with a file with clipping.
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile; [& 2019 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#558656 - 10/10/19 04:14 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Thank you for that. Interesting illustration, Jim. I had intuited that the file had been maimed. Yes, Matt, as you know, I've spent energy on building a standardized file system. Times like this, glad I did. (Not that I'm not capable of creating the random birds nest here and again.)
TASCAM Digital deck

#558661 - 10/10/19 04:42 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Whenever I render a BIAB song I do so to individual tracks. Then when I pull the tracks into Reaper (or Cakewalk) I normalise all tracks to about -12 dB. That gives me a starting point. From there I get each track to how I want it then put the entire mix through a limiter set with a ceiling of -1.3 dB (I usually put mine to MP3). I use the limiter to get me to about -14 or so LUFS. This avoids any clipping and delivers a consistent level.

There are many good Youtube videos on Gain Staging. These are worth a look.

My thoughts
Tony

Edited by Teunis (10/10/19 04:55 PM)

#558802 - 10/11/19 12:04 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Thanks, Tony. I import my BB WAVs into Reaper, too. So, your remarks give me something to go on. If I follow your directions, it could mean fewer problems in the Tascam mastering process, which involves working with eight little bars on a tiny screen.
TASCAM Digital deck

#558818 - 10/11/19 02:59 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: Teunis]
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

I should mention I set up the action Xenakios/SWS Normalise selected takes to dB value... I set this to Shift N. So all I do is pull in all the tracks - make sure they are all selected - press <shift N> and a box appears where I enter a value eg -12. Very simple, very quick.

Just make sure you have the SWS extensions installed in Reaper. The SWS extensions give Reaper a lot more capabilities.

Tony

#558820 - 10/11/19 03:07 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Your DAW doesn't indicate clipping on each track and the stereo buss?

Bud

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#558827 - 10/11/19 03:37 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Bud,
Sounds like his DAW is a hardware device.
Quote:
.. are BiaB WAV renders mixed down in Reaper and rendered to two tracks. So far, so good. I transfer them then in real time to a Tascam digital recorder which has mixdown and master modes. Usually, it works out all right; but, this time ..

Your question is still valid, but just pointing out what he is left to work with in the hardware unit may not be the familiar tools/features/flow we are used to having in a DAW.

#558845 - 10/11/19 06:16 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Thanks. I need to read a little more carefully! smile

Having said that I thought Reaper was a DAW?? Why not throw a limiter on the mix and output it via one of nowadays industry standards, e.g., CD, streaming, the LUFS thing, etc.

Bud

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#558882 - 10/12/19 04:48 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: edshaw
. . . If I follow your directions, it could mean fewer problems in the Tascam mastering process, which involves working with eight little bars on a tiny screen.

Which Tascam Digital recorder do you use?

#558893 - 10/12/19 05:47 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

I use the 8 track DP-03 SD, Charlie. The main thing keeping me from upgrading to the DP-24 is the size. I use it as my combination mixer/bg track player when I go out into the field. Everything is right there. The more I go along, the more I find those little bars are all you need -- fat but not peaking, tracks easily adjusted in the final mixdown.
It has bounce, mixdown, and master; cut, copy, and paste. Mixdown makes bounce virtually redundant, but still is handy to have around. Take the vocals, for example. They can be mixed and mastered, then imported back into the project. I have basically three elements: voice, guitar, BB track. Once the vocals have been mastered, it is hard to go back into the track, so you have to keep a protected original, just in case.
Lately, I've been using the ol' movie editor's trick, A and B rolls, especially useful for obtaining the same results as a punch in. A C roll can be used as a scratch track, same idea as a cue track.
Is this information helpful to understanding my situation? Thank you and the others for taking the time to help me with this. I know most here rarely use the old style recorder.

Bud: ("Your DAW doesn't indicate clipping on each track and the stereo buss?")
Yes, I should have caught it, but probably thought I could correct it later by turning down the volume. Not.

Edited by edshaw (10/12/19 05:52 AM)
TASCAM Digital deck

#558899 - 10/12/19 06:40 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

The 8 track DP-03SD is a very good unit and competes well with the DP24/32 in my opinion and unless you do live recording or have a dedicated home studio, it beats the socks off the Model 16/24. I am one that truly enjoys stand alone digital recorders and Tascam seems to be my favorite brand. I don't currently have a DP-03 but do have a DP-004 and DP-24. I had several cassette Portastudios and also the Neo2488MKII. Never had a crash with any of them.

I agree with the others to restart from scratch rather than attempt a repair. They've given you good advice and the only thing I'd advise you regarding mixdown and mastering on the hardware is the reminder that during these actions, the channel meters display the recorded audio on the track and not the fader position as it does during track recording. The OL lights indicate input and not track levels so there may not be clipping to any of the individual recorded tracks. The effects you use during mixing and mastering effects all add gain to the mix. EQ, compression, reverb are all cumulative gain. Leave plenty of headroom on your tracks before you do your mix.

#558969 - 10/12/19 06:29 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for that, Charlie, and thanks to everyone who chipped in to help. I did a song today, after rebooting to the BB WAV render. The process flowed way smoother and the results were much improved. While not many of us still use the digital recording hardware, the fundamentals are consistent and each comment added to my understanding. With experience, I'll get that headroom doped. That's really when the trouble started -- the compression phase. You know, the bars temporarily disappear throughout, ironically, when you need them most. The ears remain open, though.
Tuenis, I'm into that YouTube instruction area. Thank you, had no idea such an intense community existed!
TASCAM Digital deck

#561779 - 10/31/19 12:15 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Yep start over from the original tracks...or the unadulterated master. Assuming it is not clipped from compression.

You can't unbake a cake. So don't use the clipped file and try to fix it.

Clipping comes in my mixes from running the compression too high or pushing the mix with my Boost FX. I call them "overs" where the signal exceeded zero dB... hitting the top of the digital limits. In extreme cases, you end up with bricked files. In other cases, the overs can cause nasty sounding digital distortion. The way I mix, I have to go back to my original project and turn my compression down. It's amazing what a few dB reduction in compression can do to open the mix and let it breathe.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#562418 - 11/04/19 05:35 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: Guitarhacker]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for that, Herb. With the help of this forum and a lot of patience, I've been able to see some progress in the final results.
EQ and COMP still have grey areas for me. As a hands-on learner, the only real course is to keep on keeping on. All information from they who been there is vital and appreciated.

Edited by edshaw (11/04/19 05:37 AM)
TASCAM Digital deck

#562607 - 11/05/19 07:39 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Remaster to eliminate clipping? [Re: edshaw]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: edshaw
Thanks for that, Herb. With the help of this forum and a lot of patience, I've been able to see some progress in the final results.
EQ and COMP still have grey areas for me. As a hands-on learner, the only real course is to keep on keeping on. All information from they who been there is vital and appreciated.

compression and loudness boosters will put you over the line quicker than anything else. The important thing is to keep the dynamics in the music. I always use a wave editor so I can look at the finished wave. If it looks like a flat top wave, where everything is extremely level, I will go back to the original project in Sonar and look for my mastering plugs and see which compressor I have turned up a wee tad too much. I like to see hills and valleys in the wave. That lets me know I don't have the dynamics squished out of the music. I really only like to see my peaks touching 0dB in one or two places and nothing that is an "over".

Any time I have a mix where I have to put a booster (like Boost11) into my vocal signal path, I know one truth. I have everything else too loud. So it's time to turn down the band rather than trying to bring the vox up. Trying to boost the vox will result in overs and a brick looking wave on export.

A quick, handy, DAW trick, is... rather than going back through all the instrument tracks and lowering them....especially if they have volume envelopes... as that can be a tedious task.... I will simply pop in another BUSS and call it BAND.... and send all the instruments to it. All the volume changes are kept intact, and now, I can lower the overall band volume while leaving the vox at a good level.

Edited by Guitarhacker (11/05/19 07:44 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows New Features

Learn all about the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows - our New Features Video is ready! Watch it here.

Read all about the new features:
New features website
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Upgrade Manual

Or read our "49 of Your Problems Solved!" page, here, which lists 49 requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows.

Don't forget... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2019 - you can save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2020 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2020 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

49 of Your Problems Solved with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, there are 50+ new features, 202 RealTracks, and more!

We get ideas for the new features and new RealTracks from program users- there are several sources: our Wishlist and general forum, support phone calls, trade shows, etc. In most cases, customers are not describing a new feature – they are describing a problem they have that they would like to have solved.

This is a list of our features and additions in Band-in-a-Box® 2020, presented from a unique perspective. It is from this customer list of "problems they would like solved." These are not exact quotes, they are paraphrased from our discussions with our customers. They explain what problems and requests they discussed with us, that resulted in the various new features and RealTracks. Hopefully this answers the question "why did you add this feature/content?"

So, without further ado, here are the 49 requests/problems that we (hopefully) have solved with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020: click here to review.

50 New RealStyles included in Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 is a new library of 100 original loops that we've created using RealTracks/RealDrums source material, and it includes 50 new RealStyles!

Click here to listen to audio demos of the new RealStyles included with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®.

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st! Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19! Click here for more information.

New! Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

A brand-new Band-in-a-Box Add-on is HERE!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 (and higher) expands your loops collection with 100 new loops! Click here to watch our video demonstration.

We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered, like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle!

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st!

Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19!

Click here for more information. Mac user? This new Add-on works for you too! Click here for Mac.

Video - 202 New RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows®!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we've added 202 new RealTracks! These include great Americana, Gospel Vocals, new Blues, Country Pollwinners, Bossa Flute/Horn sections, Jazz Blues and Rhythm Changes, British and Hazy '60s guitars, Modern Funk, Island Grooves with steel drum and marimba, Singer-Songwriter, and more!

Get the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352 when you purchase the PlusPAK upgrade (ideal for 2019 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+ customers) for just $99 during our special (reg. $129).

Want the entire RealTracks collection with over 2,900 RealTracks? They are included with any Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Check out this video, which demonstrates the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352.

New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Add-ons are Here!

Just released for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1!

We've added 164 fantastic new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 8! These are imaginative new combinations of our existing RealTracks library that fall into four categories: Rock/Pop 8, Jazz 8, Country 8, and Celtic 1. To celebrate the release of Xtra Styles PAK 8, ALL of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-8 are on sale for just $29 each! Learn more & listen to demos here.

Also brand-new is our Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®, which gives you the chance to expand your loops collection with 100 new loops! We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle! Get started with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for the introductory price of just $19 until December 31st (reg: $29). Learn more & watch a great video demonstration here.

Note: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1 require the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 or higher UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!* (plus the 49-PAK!)

It's HERE! Take a quick tour of the just-released Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows when you check out our latest video:
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!* (plus the 49-PAK!)

Read more about this new version here, and check out our amazing upgrade pricing (up to 50% off during our special!) here!

Forum Stats
30585 Members
63 Forums
61218 Topics
516956 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
David Jones, Mark Smith, Pete Grant, David Witham, sykes

30584 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 292
Matt Finley 229