You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#557752 - 10/04/19 01:07 PM [User Showcase] Merry Christmas
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Thought I'd get my Christmas song (for this year) in early! haha. Would love to hear your honest as always thoughts on it - thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment!

EDIT: just edited the song a little - wasn't happy with a couple of things. New version up now.

https://audiomack.com/song/jamesdelsono/merry-christmas

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Merry Christmas - 4 October 2019
File:Merry Christmas - 5 October 2019 C.SGU
Key=Bb , Tempo 65, Length (m:s)=5:39
No intro. 88 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 88. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
Soloist track has 195 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Soloist is saved with the song : Vibes,Sol,JazzBaladSteveSw60 (1226)
Style is _MMRIVER.STY (Mmm River Gospel 12-8 with Vocal)

RealTracks in style: 1922:Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockSlow12-8 Sw 060
RealTracks in style: 2734:Organ, Rhythm BluesSlow128Mike Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 1923:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockSlow12-8Brent Sw 060
RealTracks in style: 3320:Multi[Chorus] VocalMms, VocalMms, VocalMms, VocalMms, VocalMms, VocalMms, VocalMms, VocalMms,
RealDrums [in style:Pop128^4-a:Sidestick Brushes , b:SideStick, HiHat

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christmas is here, it's within our sight;
And choirs of children do sing "Silent Night";
Christmas is here, and, try as we might,
Christmas, at last, has now arrived.

The kids gorge on sweets and play with their toys;
The grown-ups eat well and make loads of noise ...
The pets play together, the cat with the dog,
The snow falls at last, 'mid mist, rain and fog.

Christmas is here - it's come once again
To tell us a child has been born, God made Man.
To tell us the fables of days long ago
When wise men came bearing gold, incense and myrrh.

[BRIDGE]

Santa has left; with him, the Christ Child,
Whom legend tells us were ever so mild;
The grown-ups yawn loudly and slowly retire
The children look up and play with a smile.

Christmas is over, and so we resume
Our daily routines, for New Year now looms;
The cat and the dog go fight as before,
The goodwill's for Christmas - and here no more.

[VIBES SOLO]

Christmas has gone, and with it all our light;
New Year is coming - oh Lord, see our plight;
Be patient Thou, Lord, if you can still abide
Our frail human nature, and it's not too late.

When stars shine in skies and people believe
In magical tales that wonder do give,
When Santa flies past and the Christ Child is here,
Stay with us, Lord, for evening draws near.

Edited by musician17 (10/05/19 12:04 AM)

#557755 - 10/04/19 01:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Well you just couldn't wait !!!.

Neither can I.. love xmas and loved your song, loads of lyrics must have been a killer to write.

Thanks

#557757 - 10/04/19 01:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Wow, thank you beatmaster!!! I actually wrote the lyrics last year and left them somewhere, forgotten about ... and now that it's two months to Christmas, I remembered them and thought I'd finally set them to music :-)

Thanks for such nice comments! :-)

#557893 - 10/05/19 01:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
James,

An interesting reading. The music has a good "Christmas vibe" to it. The vocal is a little loud. I'd turn that down a bit and let ot "sit in the music".

#557905 - 10/05/19 03:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
A good Christmas song is still a good Christmas song regardless of the time of year, and you did a really good job on this one. Thanks for sharing!

#557958 - 10/06/19 12:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

floyd jane: Thank you! Yes, everyone tells me, on every song (haha), that my vocals are too loud against the music. It must be my headphones or something! hahaha. I'll turn it down a notch and see what happens :-)

Ember: Thank you so much for your nice comments and, of course, for listening!

#558008 - 10/06/19 11:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi James,

This is the very first Christmas song I've heard this year!

You have some nicely effective Christmas imagery in these lyrics.

The backing sounded very well suited to this presentation. It had a relaxed and friendly feel to it. My only thought, and I don't know if this was my headphones or my hearing, but as I listened, I kept wondering how this track would sound if the backing was around 3-4 decibels louder; it seemed a little on the quiet side to me.

I must say... I liked how the bridge is where 'Christmas arriving' transitions into 'Christmas leaving'... creative!

Thanks for posting.

Regards,
Noel

#558057 - 10/07/19 01:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Nice Christmas song, and a pleasant sounding backing.

Agree with floyd that the vocals could come down a notch or the backing up.

Nice work.

Peter

#558060 - 10/07/19 02:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Noel and Peter F: thank you. I'll have a look at the vocal / backing track levels asap - when everyone says it, they're probably onto something :-) .

Noel: thanks for noticing the bridge placing :-) . Yes, it was deliberate - great that it was noticed!!! Thanks for such a detailed comment and for listening!

Peter F: thank you - gave it a try at creating a Christmas song :-) Thankfully, Christmas is still a couple of months away, so I can tinker with it, haha. Thanks so much for listening!

#558100 - 10/07/19 10:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Nice one James!! Some cool lyrics and a good job with the narration! Well, you beat everybody (probably by a long shot) to the first Christmas release of the year! Take care. Greg

#558112 - 10/07/19 10:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Haha, yes, I guess I have indeed beaten everyone to the first Christmas release of the year! :-) Thanks for every one of your kind words.

#558527 - 10/10/19 06:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nicely done, James smile I thought if flowed nicely and it definitely has those Christmassy vibes. Nothing wrong with it coming a little early - I found your vocal delivery to be very poignant as well.

Thanks for sharing!

#558553 - 10/10/19 08:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Thanks so much Deryk! Really appreciate your comments and your taking the time to listen!

#559432 - 10/16/19 09:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Nice early Christmas song smile

Well written (as always )and nice backing too.

Congrats on getting in there first!

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#559439 - 10/16/19 10:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Haha, thank you Janice & Bud ... much appreciated!!!

#561174 - 10/28/19 11:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
Mark K Offline
Apprentice

Traditional imagery in the lyrics always works for Christmas. Especially liked the use of VocalMms in the backing track.

#561793 - 10/31/19 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
A nice early Christmas present song...
Very pleasant backing tracks & instrumentation...
Merry Christmas to you & yours!

#561876 - 11/01/19 01:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Merry Christmas [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Mark and Jim: you're too kind, both of you. Thank you and enjoy Christmas when it does arrive :-)

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows was released in December 2018, and included many new features and enhancements - like the enhancements we made to our Notation window!

These include:
-Pressing the space bar plays the song from the current location.
-Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-In the Notation Windows Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.
-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-There's a keystroke entry mode -the "N" mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-A new button in the Print Options dialog lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the Chord Sheet.
-You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When the dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current notation track.

There's detailed information on our 2019 notation enhancements here: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 New Feature - Notation Enhancements

Jump to the Notation topic in our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 new features video.

Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Forum Stats
30432 Members
62 Forums
60698 Topics
513651 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JulesPitou, Aleksssl, ThomasJazz, YamahaTyros1, BReed

30432 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 201
Noel96 168