Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#559252 - 10/15/19 05:27 AM [User Showcase] Evil World
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Evil World. A song written and sung by Daniel Jackson.

Evil World

Danny, is a good friend from back in the days I was playing in bands. We shared many stages together through several different bands. He is a mighty fine drummer. Lately, he has been playing a lot of acoustic guitar and writing a bunch of songs. He came to stay with me and my wife for 5 days, last week, in the woods, and we had the chance to put 3 songs to music in my studio.

This is the first one of those. Yes, he sang it in the lower part of his vocal range. It was the key he wrote it in and we decided to stay with that key.

The band is:

Danny on vocals
Herb Hartley on all guitars.... acoustic and lead.

Bass: 1191 Northern rock
Drums: pop rock sw 16
Dobro: 3133
Fiddle: 624 George ev
Piano: 904 Electric smooth cool

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#559258 - 10/15/19 06:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Herb and Danny,

I had to get used to Danny's singing. It looked like there were two Danny's; One talking about the evil world we are living in and the other Danny singing something else, but also another tone.
But apart from the somewhat dark lyrics it does grab your attention and you stay listening to the song, at least it did to me. The melody and the instruments are very nice. Especially the sologuitar that was playing throughout the song. Very well done!
But I had the feeling the singing and the instruments were 'living their own lives' if you know what I mean. I had expected a more crunchy guitar and much louder drum. But maybe you did that on purpose...

Bye,
Hans

#559273 - 10/15/19 07:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Daniel must be pleased to have a full production of his song. It is the type song best presented that way.

The arrangement is good. The choice of resonator and fiddle fits the tone of the song. (A bit like the Tyminski record). Your guitar solo is good and the following dobro solo works with that well - a good match there. Daniel's vocal is cool.

The acoustic guitars are too loud and far too bright. They dominate the mix all the way through and quickly become irritating to the ears. That high EQ is piercing. They distract from the vocal (the vocal seems like it needs to be a bit louder, but I think that may be because of the acoustics swamping it).
They might work (with that brightness) if you pull them back (a bunch) so that they are "just audible" - so that they are at a level where you have to really pay attention to catch them - and sat "under the mix" instead of so much on top of the mix.

It's a cool song. Nice of you to do this for a friend.

#559292 - 10/15/19 09:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Birchwood]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Herb and Danny,

I had to get used to Danny's singing. It looked like there were two Danny's; One talking about the evil world we are living in and the other Danny singing something else, but also another tone.
But apart from the somewhat dark lyrics it does grab your attention and you stay listening to the song, at least it did to me. The melody and the instruments are very nice. Especially the sologuitar that was playing throughout the song. Very well done!
But I had the feeling the singing and the instruments were 'living their own lives' if you know what I mean. I had expected a more crunchy guitar and much louder drum. But maybe you did that on purpose...

Bye,
Hans

Thanks for the input and listening.

EDIT: I just reread this ..... yep.... I get what you're talking about now regarding the "2 Dannys". The tag line was really low. The other songs we did are up in his range. Back in the day, not only did he play the drums in the bands but in the last 2 he was a singer who handled most of the stage show and singing.

re: the lack of crunchy guitar.... it was actually in the original style but I opted to delete it and go with a more organic and acoustic sound for this song. Hold on.... there's 2 more coming as I get the chance to work on them.... I don't think you will be disappointed. There should be some crunchy stuff in there for you.

Edited by Guitarhacker (10/15/19 12:41 PM)

#559294 - 10/15/19 09:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Daniel must be pleased to have a full production of his song. It is the type song best presented that way.

The arrangement is good. The choice of resonator and fiddle fits the tone of the song. (A bit like the Tyminski record). Your guitar solo is good and the following dobro solo works with that well - a good match there. Daniel's vocal is cool.

The acoustic guitars are too loud and far too bright. They dominate the mix all the way through and quickly become irritating to the ears. That high EQ is piercing. They distract from the vocal (the vocal seems like it needs to be a bit louder, but I think that may be because of the acoustics swamping it).
They might work (with that brightness) if you pull them back (a bunch) so that they are "just audible" - so that they are at a level where you have to really pay attention to catch them - and sat "under the mix" instead of so much on top of the mix.

It's a cool song. Nice of you to do this for a friend.

Good catch on the nits. I did go back and upload a revised version. Easy fix... rounded off the high end on the acoustics, and dropped them a few dB in the mix and bumped the vox a few dB as well. Also edited the ending.

I really appreciate your ears on my mixes. Thanks

#559364 - 10/15/19 09:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
I like it. smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#559379 - 10/16/19 12:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Herb,

This is EXCELLENT! You and Danny have done a super job.

I love the vocal register! Those are notes that are beyond me and I always admire those singers that can sink down into the bass regions of music. Your production has brought out the very best in his performance.

To my ears, the arrangement and the mix were professional all the way. In addition, your guitar playing was a perfect fit and when the fiddle entered, you made me smile. It was unexpected in a very good way.

Totally enjoyable listening from start to end!

All the best,
Noel

#559389 - 10/16/19 02:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Loved this to me everything sounds great, loved the guitars and the vocals.. are a growly "how low can you go " sound.

Nice arrangement and playing , Reading comments above I think you done a bit of tweaking , Sounds great to me.

Thanks
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 ,Byerdynamic 770 pro, akg k270,akg k701.
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

#559390 - 10/16/19 02:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
The low voice is cool.
Very good song.
the levels are pretty well sorted now.
There is some aggressive sibilance early on but it seems to disappear soon enough.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#559410 - 10/16/19 06:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nicely done! Daniel's voice caught me really off guard. Not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that. It flows tremendously well though, and is the perfect vehicle for those lyrics. It really sets a vibe and makes for an engaging and unique listen.

Thanks for sharing smile

#559416 - 10/16/19 07:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Good catch on the nits. I did go back and upload a revised version. Easy fix... rounded off the high end on the acoustics, and dropped them a few dB in the mix and bumped the vox a few dB as well. Also edited the ending.

I really appreciate your ears on my mixes. Thanks

The new mix is hugely better. Getting the acoustics out of the way and down where they belong gave everything else the space they needed. Now the drums have the impact they should. And each of the instruments sound better. And it made the drop more effective and dramatic.

#559444 - 10/16/19 10:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Nice dark minor key mood in which resonator and the low vocal work really well. The fiddle gives another dimension. Good mix, I enjoyed.

Janne

#559472 - 10/16/19 01:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This is an excellent song. Super vocal and guitar work. Well done

#559479 - 10/16/19 02:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Nice collab with your buddy.

The key and then maybe the swing drums with some even RT's give a "hard to put the finger on" but excellent groove that fits the lyric and vocal delivery nicely. Got just the right dark edge to it.

Cool!

Y’all put together an enjoyable listen.

J&B

#559500 - 10/16/19 07:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

Herb & Daniel,
Interesting collaboration. It is almost like fusion between classic rock and dark folk music. Very cool and unexpected vocals. Nice guitar work!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#559541 - 10/17/19 07:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: dcuny]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I like it. smile

I think Danny likes it too and he is certainly appreciative of the comments.

#559544 - 10/17/19 07:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Noel96]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Herb,

This is EXCELLENT! You and Danny have done a super job.

I love the vocal register! Those are notes that are beyond me and I always admire those singers that can sink down into the bass regions of music. Your production has brought out the very best in his performance.

To my ears, the arrangement and the mix were professional all the way. In addition, your guitar playing was a perfect fit and when the fiddle entered, you made me smile. It was unexpected in a very good way.

Totally enjoyable listening from start to end!

All the best,
Noel

Hey thanks Noel. It's not often you hear someone singing at the bottom of their register. Most go middle to top. Using the low end has a unique purpose. Thanks for listening

#559545 - 10/17/19 07:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi herb and danny great job to you both loved the vocal and guitar work was excellent the mix was perfect clear and crisp thanks eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#559745 - 10/18/19 11:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Just a quick note of thanks to all who replied on the post and took the time to listen.

I will be posting song #2 sometime early next week.

Again thanks

#559762 - 10/18/19 02:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil World [Re: Guitarhacker]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Herb, great arrangement on this one. The guitars are excellent. The held strummed acoustic is cool and the use of delay is perfect for the song. The first few notes of the dobro solo wowed me. Danny’s low vocal stylings added to the darkness of the lyrics. Your production skills are once again evident and the result is a very good song that is well written, sung and played. I bet you two old band mates had a blast reconnecting and jamming, Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
A Look Back - Xtra Styles PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®

We were so excited to release the very first Xtra Styles PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box® just four years ago, and we're thrilled that they have been such a hit!

Xtra Styles PAK 1 was released in August 2016, starting with: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Singer-Songwriter! Check out our first Xtra Styles PAK video highlighting these newer Add-ons: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=-7aJCe4-0x0

We've been releasing Xtra Styles PAKs a couple times a year ever since! We now have 9 Xtra Styles PAKs packed with 1,400+ RealStyles, so there's definitely something you'll love - check out our complete Xtra Styles PAKs selection here.

Mac user? Click here for your OS specific links

Accessing Your Band-in-a-Box® Order Online

If you've ordered Band-in-a-Box® on our website, you can access your download links (even if you selected a shipping option) from your Account | My Products page.

Band-in-a-Box® users who purchased their copy elsewhere can also add their purchase to their Account | My Products page. This is a convenient way to register your purchase and access the installation files if you ever need them for future re-installation reasons. To do this, visit www.pgmusic.com/redeem and create your account, then click on My Products and enter your 24-digit Band-in-a-Box® serial number.

Learning with Band-in-a-Box® - Chords & Games

Want to hear what a chord sounds like? Type the chord, then press SHIFT enter. The chord will play as it is entered on to the chord sheet!

You can also familiarize yourself with how different chords sound using the Chord Builder feature of the program, which will audition different chords for you, based on your input.

Want more? Challenge yourself with some ear training with the included Pitch Invasion and Music Replay programs, accessible in the Practice Window!

Pitch Invasion helps to develop perfect pitch as you shoot down "alien" notes invading from above, and Music Replay develops your pitch, rhythm, and melody recognition by replaying what the program plays, in note, rhythm, or melodic modes.

Pitch Invasion & Music Replay can also be accessed within the bb\Songs and Lessons\Ear Training folder for the program.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Russian for Windows is Here!

Мы хорошо потрудились и добавили в "Band-in-a-Box®" 50 новых функций и изумительную коллекцию нового контента, включая 202 новых стиля RealTracks (что в два раза больше 101 стиля, которые мы часто выпускали в прошлом), новые стили RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, инструментальные этюды (Instrumental Studies), транскрипции для стилей RealDrums и др.!

КУПИТЬ/ОБНОВИТЬ И ЗАГРУЗИТЬ!

Listen to the Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio Today!

You may know about our User Showcase Forum, but have you heard about our Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio?

What a great way to listen to all of the Band-in-a-Box® creations from program users just-like-you! It's as easy as choosing a playlist and pressing play!

Click here to access our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, and don't forget to bookmark your new favorite page!

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Forum Stats
32654 Members
68 Forums
65633 Topics
556523 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
NickU, EdwardsjMusic, afex121, Al Newark DE, Nucleox

32653 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 158