You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#560824 - 10/25/19 09:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly!
Loc: California
andymarx Offline

I've installed BIAB UltraPak+ on my 2018 MacBook Pro and it's been crashing constantly. I'll enter a few measures of chords and then audition several different styles. After about ten minutes of this, the program crashes and I have to re-start.

Also, does anybody know what the BBM4 application is that's in the BIAB folder? Does it need to be launched?

Thanks.

#560955 - 10/26/19 05:59 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
BBM4 is a background application the plugin uses to perform some Band-in-a-Box functions.

I'm sorry I can't help with your first question.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1909, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#561034 - 10/27/19 01:11 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
Loc: somewhere in outer space
w Offline
Expert

Loc: somewhere in outer space
Originally Posted By: andymarx
I've installed BIAB UltraPak+ on my 2018 MacBook Pro and it's been crashing constantly. I'll enter a few measures of chords and then audition several different styles. After about ten minutes of this, the program crashes and I have to re-start.

Also, does anybody know what the BBM4 application is that's in the BIAB folder? Does it need to be launched?

Thanks.

Well that's not good although it is an interesting problem or quirk you have discovered !

This may or may not help could you provide us an example of what you did when you wrote so that we could try to duplicate that problem ?

Quote:
I'll enter a few measures of chords and then audition several different styles.

On the other hand the gurus at Mac Band may already know the answer .

macOS Mojave - 10.14.6 @ Aug 16, 2019

iMac i3 3.6 GHz 8GB RAM 4K with Retina display

some examples @ sound cloud done with Mac Band and DAW's : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

#561160 - 10/28/19 09:44 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: w]
andymarx Offline

After entering some chords, I then open the style picker and audition different styles. Then, after several minutes, the program crashes and I have to re-start. It's done it on my 2019 iMac, my 2019 MacBook Pro, and even when running the program off the USB dirve that PG Music supplies. I have emailed PG Music support and provided them with the crash logs, so hopefully, they'll have an answer.

#562384 - 11/03/19 05:33 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
StephenTHNZ Offline

Happens to me as well. Very exasperating. It happens when I run it from the USB drive. Copied the files to a new SSD drive - same result. Installed BB 2019 to my internal hard drive same thing.

#562520 - 11/04/19 07:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
Loc: Sillie Con Valley, California
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

I have some issues but not that.

If BBM4 is causing the problem, that should show up in the crash logs, Console.app or both.

#562851 - 11/06/19 07:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
Loc: TEXAS
johne1 Offline
Enthusiast

I purchased the download version of BIAB Pro for Mac 2019. I had some installation issues, at first, too.

It turned out that the installation was incomplete. The Installer put some packages in my Root folder that needed to be installed. The original disk images unpacked those packages but never executed them. Once I ran those packages and installed the missing files, all was well. Maybe you're having the same issue?

Somewhere I read that some packages would be installed as Devices. When they didn't appear in Devices, that's when I dug deeper and found them in the HD's Root folder.

Maybe that will be of some help to you, I hope.

From Page 10, Chapter 1, 2019 Band-in-a-Box Mac Manual.

"Band-in-a-Box Folder
The /Band-in-a-Box folder has a clean look with three application files - Band-in-a-Box, Band-in-a-Box-32bit, and BBM4 (used for the Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin). The rest of the files are in subfolders.
The folders include the Drums folder for RealDrums files and the RealTracks folder for RealTracks files. If any of these folders is moved or the files are installed in a custom location, the new location must be entered in the RealDrums Settings dialog or the RealTracks Settings dialog so that Band-in-a-Box knows where to find them.
The Preferences you set in the program are saved in the Preferences folder, and this folder also has a file named Intrface.BBM with all the program settings including MIDI and audio driver setup. If this file is removed to the trash the program will open like a new installation the next time it runs. It will prompt for all initial setup selections. This is useful as a “global reset” if there are system settings that have been changed by accident."

There's your answer to BBM4 app.

#568304 - 12/03/19 03:12 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
johne1 Offline
Enthusiast

Since the last update the crashes have gotten worse and worse. Got the gray screen and had to CMD + control + power button forced reboot to get unfroze. Restarting in Safe Mode was how I finally got the machine back up and running tonight. Did a Hardware Test restart, then a Disk FirstAid and no problems found in either place.

FYI, PG Music, it acts like it's running out of memory, like maybe your code has a memory leak. Either that, or something to do with MIDI, because I'm running a Roland A-49 Keyboard MIDI Controller. Which, by the way, gives me no trouble in Studio One 4.

I'm one month on BIAB Pro. Before that, my machine was stable; never a crash.

#568342 - 12/03/19 07:07 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: johne1]
RayL Offline
Journeyman

Use the Rebuild commands in the Style Picker and Song Picker windows, especially after installing a new version or update.

MacBook Pro mid 2014 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
Studio One Professional 4.6xx, PreSonus USB AudioBox 1818VSL

#568543 - 12/04/19 02:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
parisslim Offline

Yes, I too am getting frequent crashes. I'll make a more careful note about what does it next time. At the time, I'm usually in the middle of trying to construct a song. smile

#568686 - 12/04/19 04:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: parisslim]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Andrew - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: parisslim
Yes, I too am getting frequent crashes. I'll make a more careful note about what does it next time. At the time, I'm usually in the middle of trying to construct a song. smile

Yes, if possible please let us know specifically when that happens / what triggers it - In the mean-time perhaps you could install this new build 317. One thing this addresses is a crash related to note-based lyrics in a song, however I'm not sure if this would address your problem.... we need more specific information about it. This build is not posted on the site yet as it is a pre-release build. If it introduces any problems for you, you can always revert to the previous build (found in Band-in-a-Box/Data/Backup)
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2019_mac_update_build317.pkg

Originally Posted By: johne1
FYI, PG Music, it acts like it's running out of memory, like maybe your code has a memory leak. Either that, or something to do with MIDI, because I'm running a Roland A-49 Keyboard MIDI Controller.

I think this is probably an unrelated problem. And I think you may be right that it is related to an interaction with some hard drive device on your system (though I haven't specifically seen this problem before). For starters, I would suggest unplugging the device and using Band-in-a-Box for a while by itself - Check Sound settings in system prefs that input and output are set to "internal".

#569911 - 12/11/19 08:53 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
Loc: nice
philty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: nice
I start using BIAB on november 2019, I can confirm, I got crashes a few times, I noted that it happens surely when you change quite a lot of styles, listening the chords with a new style, after 15 or more changes, BIAB get freeze, I ask myself if it's not a buffer problem, I have 16 go ram memory and I use logicpro flawless with a lot of plug-ins.
it seems it's better with the 317 update...
it's my feel. have a nice day.phil

#582813 - 02/28/20 02:14 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
Sajj Offline

Hello!
I just bought the 2019 version last month, installed it on my mac 2019, running mojave, and it crashes often too. The crashes always happen when I'm in the style picker, listening to different styles. Has anyone figured out a solution to this?

#583315 - 03/02/20 01:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: Sajj]
PG Music Staff

Can you see if this happens with this new build (319)?
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2019_mac_update_build319.pkg

#583434 - 03/03/20 06:51 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
RayL Offline
Journeyman

Crashes in the Style Picker can sometimes be fixed by using the Rebuild command (in the Style Picker window). This is especially important to do after any new version update is installed.

MacBook Pro mid 2014 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
Studio One Professional 4.6xx, PreSonus USB AudioBox 1818VSL

#585527 - 03/13/20 11:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
Loc: Iowa
laurasdad Offline

Loc: Iowa
Andrew,

Suddenly, I couldn't load any styles without biab shutting down and leaving an error message. After finding this post, I downloaded the build you suggested to the other person.

Now, I am able to change styles, but every 4-5 bars, there is a loud static sound -- it is not associated with any of my sound equipment or interference of any kind.

Your help is always appreciated. Suggestions, please. Thanks.

#585946 - 03/16/20 04:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

Did you try the slow rebuild? If not, do so.

#588834 - 03/31/20 07:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: andymarx]
Cyberic Offline

I have the same crash problem as other users in BIAB 2019 including the static click. The 321 update hasn't improved matters.

Additionally, in the Stylepicker I'm finding there's a 6-second delay before the 'Play using current chord sheet for song' activates. It was virtually instant in earlier non-64 bit versions of BIAB.

Mac mini Mid-2010, 2.4GHz 8Gb RAM, High Sierra.

#588861 - 03/31/20 09:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: BIAB 2019 For Mac Crashing Constantly! [Re: laurasdad]
PG Music Staff

Quote:
but every 4-5 bars, there is a loud static sound

Is this a burst of white noise that happens all the time at a regular interval? This sounds like an unactivated plugin is being used. Amplitube for example will do this if the trial period has expired. Check the plugins window...

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

#TipTuesday Band-in-a-Box® Online Manuals - An Excellent Resource!

The Band-in-a-Box® program manuals are available on our Support page - what an excellent online resource to help you get the most out of the program!

Head to our Support | Online Manuals page and you'll have access to both a PDF and an online program manual for Band-in-a-Box® 2018-2020 and RealBand 2018-2020!

Bookmark www.pgmusic.com/manuals/ today!

Forum Stats
32427 Members
68 Forums
65035 Topics
551015 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
rawhide, Michael M, bohne, Misha, jackpark

32427 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 170
Jim Fogle 152