Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Conventional wisdom is that we should not defrag an SSD drive. The additional writes needed to accomplish the defrag shortens the drive life, and there is almost no speed benefit for data access to doing it anyway.

I just received a promotion for something called O&O Defrag Professional. https://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag

This has a free trial mode. The basic new idea here is that there is a new algorithm that is OK to use on an SSD, and is far more conservative than traditional defragging methods. The algorithm is called SOLID.

Try at your own risk. In my case, it took about 4 minutes to improve an SSD drive that was 11% fragmented down to under 1%.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting, I had just asked a related question on a different (Not PG) forum, as Windows is showing my SSD as been optimised on a frequent basis, and I wondered if this should be turned off or not, seems it should be left on.

Didn't someone mention Windows cleaning software from the same company in a different thread?

Thanks, must have a look at this.

Last edited by musiclover; 11/07/19 08:27 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
there is no speed benefit for data access to doing it anyway...

In my case, it took about 4 minutes to improve an SSD drive that was 11% fragmented down to under 1%.

I am totally ignorant but curious about SSD drives. If you knew there would be no speed benefit why even do this? You said "improve an SSD" from 11% to under 1% but why does it matter? There must be something else that I am not aware of as to why you chose to defrag??

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
JJJ, you're right to ask.

In theory, the benefit for defragging an SSD is pretty small but real.

The delay reading data on a standard mechanical hard drive is the time for the head to move as the disk rotates, so when a file is fragmented into pieces, there is more movement and hence slower access time. While the access time on an SSD is magnitudes of order faster, it still takes longer if a large file is fragmented than if it isn't.

This is one of those things about how much effort is too much for the benefit. For anyone reading, this is really on the cutting edge and not necessary. It's for those of us who like to tweak for tweak's sake, for a little improvement, just because you can. The point of my post is, now you can. That was news to me.

Oh, and replacing your mechanical hard drives in your computer with SSD drives is the single best performance improvement you can now make in a computer.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
An SSD was the best upgrade that I ever did on my now almost ten year old computer, did it three to four years ago, boot went from an agonising almost five minutes to well under a minute or less. The way things were going, computer was almost unusable with the OS on the traditional hard drive.

Well I would have expected by now that I would get a lot more capacity with an SSD for the same price, its a multiple of two, but here's hoping things get better in that regard.

Last edited by musiclover; 11/07/19 11:04 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
JJJ, you're right to ask.

In theory, the benefit for defragging an SSD is pretty small but real.

The delay reading data on a standard mechanical hard drive is the time for the head to move as the disk rotates, so when a file is fragmented into pieces, there is more movement and hence slower access time. While the access time on an SSD is magnitudes of order faster, it still takes longer if a large file is fragmented than if it isn't.

This is one of those things about how much effort is too much for the benefit. For anyone reading, this is really on the cutting edge and not necessary. It's for those of us who like to tweak for tweak's sake, for a little improvement, just because you can. The point of my post is, now you can. That was news to me.

Oh, and replacing your mechanical hard drives in your computer with SSD drives is the single best performance improvement you can now make in a computer.

Thanks Matt! I learned something today!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Matt, I tried it on my main PC as I was curious. I was at 9.8% fragmented before and 0.17% after running the Solid/Quick. It took about 18 minutes on my 1 TB C:\ drive. I had chosen Solid/Complete but I guess it runs Quick first. I just stopped it when it started the Complete run as it said it would take over 4 hours just to clean that last 0.17%. Of course, I said, "NOPE!".

So bottom line is that Solid/Quick should be good enough for most folks. It also provides a nice before/after screen when it's done:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.jpg (222.78 KB, 99 downloads)

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Have you done any before and after timing tests?

EDIT I before and after file access/load time's

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 11/07/19 12:57 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have not Larry. I imagine the performance difference would be minimal as Matt said above.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Is this supposed to have any benefits over using Window's built-in +++ TRIM +++ command?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Larry, no, I don't notice any difference but I did not expect to. Perhaps if I were running an industrial size database or a massive number of tracks in a DAW?

Jim, it's early days but I think the answer is supposed to be Yes, it's not the same as Trim (which I do routinely). I don't have a better explanation than that at this time. Yet.

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
From what I understand, TRIM does not optimize the drive. It only informs the Operating System which blocks are now available to be wipe internally. I would guess that the percent of fragmentation would remain exactly the same. If anything, it would become worse since any writes done after TRIM would scatter even more, any newly written data blocks since they would be placed in areas that have now become available.

Also from what I have read in the tech write-ups,O&O is defiantly worth investigating.

Also on a related topic, I currently have by BIAB install on my E Drive, along with quite a few music programs and a ton of data files. I am seriously thinking of adding a 250GB or a 500GB SSD into the mix and move just the BIAB install to that drive so it would be for BIAB ONLY.

Would I have to do anything before hand so as not jeopardize the activation status?

I would think not but it helps to get other opinions before I do that.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
O&O actually does a TRIM at the end of the defrag as it shows in the disk history on the main screen.

Steve

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
I can see where O&O would do a TRIM since the optimization freed up quite a few blocks and the OS has to be told about this.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I would think that using this new utility to defrag an SSD drive should only be done rarely, anyway.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree. I turned off all the settings to do scheduled or automatic runs.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hmmmm. I tried it using the "SOLID" algorithm but it hung up when working on the Windows search / indexing database. I had it skip that and move on. I then opened up Defraggler and did an analysis with that. Defraggler showed there were still files that were not addressed. Also, Defraggler seems faster. But I do like the graphics in OO software.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yea that's what I thought and the following is not a "finger pointing" exercise just my opinion (and we all know what opinions are worth) coming through.

This seems to me to be one of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" things. But that's me.

I won't be doing this on any of my SDD's until documented and proven reasons are given for why it should be done.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That's fair and sensible. I did say to use it at your own risk. Or maybe I should better say, wait for more feedback on this. I just found it interesting.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,831
Posts737,787
Members38,594
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RWSwan, dedlyfish, Tnfkd, eljayjay, tommy kissner
38,595 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 168