Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#564915 11/19/19 03:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

Here is a song about what can happen in a relation, when we change.
That's also the link to the song on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/when-we-change

No, this wasn't an event that happened to me (lately), but I liked to make an acoustic ballad that you can play with friends around a campfire. Looks great, I think...

It was a song made in 2017, but I stripped it all, sang it again and did something with the arrangements of the instruments.
The style is Cocoa, the key C and tempo 125
Bas: 2478 Acoustic
Guitar 1: 522, ac. fingerpick
Guitar 2: 2933, ac. fp
guitar 3: 2719, Nylon, fp
A shaker instead of drums
Synth: 1267

The lyrics:
When we change
(c) HWBerkhout 2017 / 2019

How ended that sweet night,
when everything looked alright?
It's so unreal,
nothing more we now feel

I saw you changing
the way you do
I never realized
 I changed too

It surely wasn't me
Who dared to see
But what did you feel,
when tears became real:

Chorus
I don't wanna know this, I cannot hear
I don't listen to what I fear
I don't wanna hear this, It's hurting me
All is history

But if you wanna change,
why not talk to me?
You only manned your guns
Did you even care,
am I on your mind?
It's always you who runs

So ended that sweet night,
when everything seemed alright
It feels so unfair
nothing more we now share

You could not change me
the way you need
I could not feel
our hearts only bleed

Chorus

Bridge
Oh, I know the tone
when you say something twice
Now it makes me fear
we had thrown our dice

Chorus, soft:
But, I hadn't noticed, you did not tell
What broke our spell
I have never heard it, you would not say
you never wished to stay

Refrein: harmony
but I don't wanna know that
It's all a lie
You never told me why
I'm sure you gonna tell friends, cry it out loud
You always had your doubts
And I don't wanna hear that, but now see
You never belonged to me...

I hope you can appreciate it,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice song Hans. I can see this being played at a campfire with a couple of acoustic guitars.

I liked the story that your lyrics tell as well.

You picked a really nice synth sound but it appeared to be a little heavy to the right side. Pan a little bit more left and it may sound better.

Good work overall, keep it up, thanks for sharing this!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent choice of style, Hans. This works really well.

The guitar fills work just perfectly.

Really well done.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent and somewhat different from you.

The mellow side.

We like the write, the vocal, the arrangement...everything.

Kudos!!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good story performed well, enjoyable folky arrangement. Nice chording like combined from styles of different cultures.

Interesting melody surprises even after several listenings. I feel it would be rhythmically challenging to sing this at a campfire, but I guess that's not a problem for a talented artist like you smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Poignant lyrics. Well written. I hadn't heard the Cocoa style before. It works nicely with the mood of your song.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This song definitely has a sadder tone to it, but sometimes change is for the best.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one.
The smack is a little loud in places.
There's a very different reverb or room sound on the vocal compared to the backing - no biggy.
Is the vocal a little left leaning - that's my bad ear and it seems to be, a bit, over there- or is it me?

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Steve, VideoTrack, Janice and bud, Janne, Ezekiel, Ember and Ray,

Thanks for all your comments on the song. I appreciate that a lot, as you know.

Steve, when you mentioned the panning of the synth, I Immediately changed it. You were right about that. At first I had it panned in the middle, later changed it more to the right and than you came telling me it had to be more to the middle. So, I listened to you! smile

VideoTrack, thanks for your nice compliments. I haven't found out your real name yet, but one day I get it!

Janice and Bud, thanks for all you wrote. Indeed, this song is a bit different from what you have heard earlier from me. Sometimes I like doing something different, I was thinking to sing a balad only with one guitar, but that was a bridge too far even for me. But you know? I also made a waltz with tempochanges in it (didn't dare bringing that one to the BB-forum though...)

Janne, if you skip the synth and the shaker and you have friends that can play well, and you have rehearsed the song at least 20 times, and you have drank some more booze, it won't be that difficult playing it near a campfire, if the listeners also drank a little. But indeed, I doubt if it still sounds the same as the original. Even with talented people wink

Ezekiel, when I found that Cocoa-style I hesitated for a while. Immediately I had those images of cocoaleaves (to chew on) or other drugs-related things. So i wanted to skip it. But then I heard the nice rythm and acoustic instruments in it. that helped me finding this melody.

And Ember, I agree. Change is probably very good for us, although it takes time to get used to that. In the mean time you feel sad, because you think you lost something/one. That is how these songs arise, I think. and thanks for your judging.

Ray, I didn't do anyuthing with that smack. It's the one one the guitar slamming it all the time! I only included a shaker, but that wasn't smacking at all. and I'm amazed how good you can hear things, like the different reverbs. You told me you have tinitus, but that isn't bothering you at all! You are right about the reverbs. I tried it, because one reverb (a Tsar) was nicer for the vocals than the other reverb (forgot the name of that one). Was it distracting? But thanks for your findings, and compliments.

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice, Hans, I like the vocal melody. And I've said it before, I'm a fan of your vocals.

Good song, enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

A good write. A lot of emotion, conveyed well.

Sung well.

A nice arrangement. (the nylon guitar solos seem just a little louder than they need to be - a small thing).

Nice.

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Hans,

you keep surprising me... A soft and sad ballad wasnÄt exactly what I had expected as your next song....

But it's an amazingly good tune, great lyrics (though they're not lifting me up on this dull morning), an extremely good choice of style and sung very soulflully sung. Sounds very good to me, too.

So all in all: brilliant!

Groetjes

Stefan

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - this one really packs a punch. The lyrics are incredible, and it matches with the gentle delivery it makes for an outstanding listen. Definitely has some sad undertones, but that isn't a bad thing in my books. As Stefan said above me - there is some real genuine soul behind this one that shines right away.

You should be really proud of this one. Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Very nice writing...
I really liked that line...
Quote:
"I don't wanna know this, I cannot hear
I don't listen to what I fear"

Pretty cool...
And your vocals were outstanding on this tune...
I really liked the way you vocally delvered the "soft chorus"...
Good job as usual!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Hans,

Like the opening, and the guitar play. Production wise, the “slap” (I think it’s the “shaker” percussion but it sounds a little like an acoustic “slap” style guitar track maybe?), seems just a tad harsh to me (though less so one the vocal kicks in). Perhaps dial that down a little? (Note--I just saw above that Ray made the same comment--not sure based on your response if you have the ability to soften the "slap" without diminished the guitar too much).

Sweet vocal that fits the mood of the song really well. And like the us eof the synth to give a little body and lift to the music in spots. Agree with Floyd that the nylon guitar solo—which is lovely—could come down just a bit. All in all, though, really nice song. Good stuff!

All the best,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Dave, Floyd, Stefan, Deryk, Jim and Deej,

At first, thanks for your listening, commenting and compliments. I was touched.
Dave, I never thought you would become a fan of my voice. Even I have to get used to it (sometimes). So thanks for supporting my self-confidence ;-)

Floyd, you too thanks for what you wrote. And I listened to your remarks about that nylonstrings guitar. I thought by giving it 'an extra mike' it's sound comes more nice upfront. But that wasn't a good idea to you. I changed that now. thanks!

Stefan, you better not make such nice compliments. One day I might believe them and become arrogant. But thanks a lot!

Deryk, I much appreciate your compliments, especially about that genuine soul. That caresses me (is that the right term?). But, read what I wrote Stefan... ;-)

Jim, when writing it I was wondering if that line was proper English. And you picked it to tell me that was pretty cool. Thanks for that and of course your other remarks. Makes me feel much better than the person in the song...

Deej, thanks for listening so carefully. Like Ray you are right about that smack. But it was in that guitar realtrack (2933). I fired the player and hired his neighbour (RT 2932). I also took the extra mike from the nylonstrings to make it more 'natural'. Hope you like to read I really listen to advise!

Have a nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hans, nice work! I'm a sucker for a good sad song and this one hits the "Marc". smile The production is excellent and I like the minimalist use of the shaker vs. drums. Bravo.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That is some lovely work Hans! Great job on the vocals! Melodically and lyrically rich with a great backtrack! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Your lyrics were great but your vocal added so much to them that you took it over the top for me. It really sounds like you had some resent history that prompted this even though you said you didn't. That shows how much emotion you put into this.

Great song!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Nicely done song about a painful subject!! Happens to us all at times. Well written, produced, and sung Hans!! Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,646
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193