You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#562894 - 11/07/19 03:37 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Vocal EQ guide
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Came across this on a facebook group this morning, thought it might be of interest to some:

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

Edited by BlueAttitude (11/07/19 06:02 AM)

Blue Attitude Website

#562905 - 11/07/19 05:23 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Thanx. I saved the image as it looks very useful.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#562907 - 11/07/19 05:51 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Thanks for sharing...interesting. I‘ve used a low end shelf and the “presence” 5K bump since analog days for Janice’s vocals. The rest is informative particularly seeing it graphically.

Bud

PS Regarding Epstein...hard to get away from politics nowadays!

#562908 - 11/07/19 05:58 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Chicago
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

A little bit of social commentary in there...

#562910 - 11/07/19 06:03 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: BlueAttitude]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Yeah, I never noticed that! Thanks guys, I trimmed off the last line.

Blue Attitude Website

#564927 - 11/19/19 06:45 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: BlueAttitude]
TylerOJones Offline

Brand new user of this tool and just attempting to finish off my first song. I'm not very versed in recording technology. I've look through the threads but cannot seem to find an answer so if there is an existing thread, please point me to it.

My question is what is an "easy", i.e., doesn't require much mixing knowledge or equipment, way to add vocals to the biab song?

I have an m-audio mtrack 2x2 and a low end behringer mic. I added "record audio" to the file but boy does it sound bad. I attempted some mixing but the only choices i could find were the vst/dx synths, which i tried to use anyway, but still sounds bad.

Should i even be attempting to record voice via biab? Should i export the song as a file and use something like cakewalk, or audacity?

At this point in my learning, i'm interested in completing a first song that doesnt sound like crap but I dont have the mental or life bandwidth to attempt a deep dive into what might later be required to really make it work well.

So somehow I need to work within the confines of where those two intersect.
Thx,
Tj

#565001 - 11/19/19 01:53 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: TylerOJones]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: TylerOJones
My question is what is an "easy", i.e., doesn't require much mixing knowledge or equipment, way to add vocals to the biab song?

You answered you own question below....use something like cakewalk, or audacity

Originally Posted By: TylerOJones

Should I even be attempting to record voice via biab?

No

That's my two cents. Recording vocals can be a bit of a learning curve but we all figured it out. Open the back track from BIAB as an mp3 in audacity and then use it to record a vocal track. Can't get any easier and still result in acceptable quality. Good Luck

#565068 - 11/20/19 04:12 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: BlueAttitude]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

I agree on the above post about exporting the song to a DAW and then recording your vocals there. I use Reaper here but there are other ones. A bit of a learning curve, but you don't need to learn everything at once and just a basic mix with a BIAB file and your vocal will be pretty simple.

Export the BIAB file as a WAV file though, not an MP3. You want the quality of that file to be as good as BIAB can produce because you are not done yet, you still need to mix in your vocal.

When you get more adventurous you can export the BIAB file as individual tracks, that will give you more control over the mix. But for now, rely on the mix BIAB has given you, they are not bad out of the box if you are using one of the BIAB styles.

So, after you have your BIAB as a track in your DAW, go ahead and record your vocal on another track.

There are many VST plugins you can buy specifically designed to work on vocals. They basically include all the effects you would normally put on a vocal, compression, EQ, reverb, delay, etc., all in one package, and they will typically come with a lot of presets that will sound good with little or no tweaking. Later you can experiment with building your own effects chain for vocals, but for now keep it simple.

And most of all, have fun!

Blue Attitude Website

#565090 - 11/20/19 06:05 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: TylerOJones]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

I agree with using a DAW for recording. Cakewalk used to come with the monophonic version of Melodyne but I don't know if it still does as I don't use Cakewalk anymore. If it does then I would use Cakewalk. Melodyne is a pitch correction software so with a little work your vocals would be on pitch. Cakewalk also comes with a bunch of effects. Plus there are a number of free effects available via the Internet.

I have used a low end Behringer mic, IIRC I got three for $49 USD, and they will work just fine.

The main thing is have fun and don't get discouraged. I know it can be overwhelming at first but if you just take baby steps you will putting songs in the Showcase forum very soon.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#565098 - 11/20/19 06:53 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: BlueAttitude]
TylerOJones Offline

Thanks to all of you for the great tips and encouragement. A very good friend of mine is a musician and has a nice home studio. He's helped me record a couple of my songs and it's very good quality. My purpose in purchasing biab is to be able to capture a vision and sort of "rough" of what i'd like vs saying, ok, i'd like a Gilmour-esque guitar here and the drums from breathe, or this should sound like Jerry Reed, etc.

But then i started listening to some of the quality arrangements and final mix of users' songs and was totally blown away, and began to think that maybe i can get close to that quality.

He did offer to let me do vocals at his place but i wanted to at least try to get something acceptable. But he does have years of experience and understands the principles and his tool set very well.

I actually just deleted the free version of cakewalk but may reinstall. I have audacity and will try the above recommended route.

Anyway, thanks again. It's very much appreciated.

#565115 - 11/20/19 08:54 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Vocal EQ guide [Re: TylerOJones]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Sounds like a plan. Here is one thing that you might want to purchase. It is a isolation vocal shield:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/on-stage-asms4730-isolation-vocal-shield?rNtt=vocal%20shields&index=1

This really helped me in my recording studio. BUT I wouldn't pay full price right now. Join the Musicians Friends Stupid deal of the day emails. I purchased this same shield for $50 USD. This has been on sale a few times and with the holidays coming up it just might go on sale again.

PG Music News
Accessing Your Band-in-a-Box® Order Online

If you've ordered Band-in-a-Box® on our website, you can access your download links (even if you selected a shipping option) from your Account | My Products page.

Band-in-a-Box® users who purchased their copy elsewhere can also add their purchase to their Account | My Products page. This is a convenient way to register your purchase and access the installation files if you ever need them for future re-installation reasons. To do this, visit www.pgmusic.com/redeem and create your account, then click on My Products and enter your 24-digit Band-in-a-Box® serial number.

Learning with Band-in-a-Box® - Chords & Games

Want to hear what a chord sounds like? Type the chord, then press SHIFT enter. The chord will play as it is entered on to the chord sheet!

You can also familiarize yourself with how different chords sound using the Chord Builder feature of the program, which will audition different chords for you, based on your input.

Want more? Challenge yourself with some ear training with the included Pitch Invasion and Music Replay programs, accessible in the Practice Window!

Pitch Invasion helps to develop perfect pitch as you shoot down "alien" notes invading from above, and Music Replay develops your pitch, rhythm, and melody recognition by replaying what the program plays, in note, rhythm, or melodic modes.

Pitch Invasion & Music Replay can also be accessed within the bb\Songs and Lessons\Ear Training folder for the program.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Russian for Windows is Here!

Мы хорошо потрудились и добавили в "Band-in-a-Box®" 50 новых функций и изумительную коллекцию нового контента, включая 202 новых стиля RealTracks (что в два раза больше 101 стиля, которые мы часто выпускали в прошлом), новые стили RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, инструментальные этюды (Instrumental Studies), транскрипции для стилей RealDrums и др.!

КУПИТЬ/ОБНОВИТЬ И ЗАГРУЗИТЬ!

Listen to the Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio Today!

You may know about our User Showcase Forum, but have you heard about our Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio?

What a great way to listen to all of the Band-in-a-Box® creations from program users just-like-you! It's as easy as choosing a playlist and pressing play!

Click here to access our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, and don't forget to bookmark your new favorite page!

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Forum Stats
32642 Members
68 Forums
65615 Topics
556362 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Swivel Rocker, Igael79, CarlosCon, ShaneGuitar, Alidas

32642 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 144
VideoTrack 124