Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi, This problem needs a bit of background explanation.

I am trying to install BIAB 2016 and then install the BIAB 2018 upgrade files. I have the BIAB 2016 ultrapack. I got it on the external drive. I originally installed it to run from the external drive but the installer put some files on the C drive. So later the external drive started acting up so I copied everything to the D drive of the machine where I was running BIAB from. I fiddled around with it and got it to run from that D drive. So I had to reformat my C drive again and I am currently installing all the software (my image return failed). So I went to the D drive folder "D:\BIAB_2016_UltraPlusPAK" and clicked setup.exe. It told me it could not find the installers. There are four of them it complained about. So I did a windows find command on the D:\BIAB_2016_UltraPlusPAK folder and found the installers in the "D:\BIAB_2016_UltraPlusPAK\PGMusic\Installers" folder. I was thinking I would just run them directly from there in the same order that it was complaining about not finding them. However since it is lunch time :-) I though I would see if anyone has any cautions about going ahead with this idea or suggestions.

What I find interesting is if I click on the 'Band-in-a-Box.exe" file within the D:\BIAB_2016_UltraPlusPAK folder it actually runs and if I set up the associations I can click on my C drive BIAB song files and it actually plays them. I guess the association stores where the BIAB .exe file is located. Unfortunately when I close BIAB it aborts so I figure I may as well get it set up correctly. I am guessing it wants some windows registry entries.

Thanks for any help,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/28/19 08:17 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Veteran
Veteran
If you bought 2016 from PGMusic, all the installation and content files should be in your account (accessible from the main PGMusic home page screen). If you have trouble installing, you could download the files and install that way. Assuming your RealDrums (Drums folder) and RealTracks (RealTracks folder) are still accessible on the external USB, you wouldn't need to download all that content. Just make sure they are copied to the correct location on your new hard drive. Then you can run the 2018 install to get everything up to date.

Just a thought.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi John, thanks for your response.

Yes I was informed a while back that after I log in to the PG music website I can navigate to a page that allows me to download my BIAB 2016 files and install. I just found my reminder database notes and I was once again able to do that. However I am trying to avoid that download approach since it takes a long time and I successfully copied all the external USB hard drive files over to my computer's D drive without issue.

Without issue means I did it in single copy which left all the external USB drive files (of the root directory and of the sub-directories) exactly as they were set up. I can not access that external drive now so it is lucky I did the copy when I did. I ran BIAB successfully from that D drive folder for a year or so which seems to confirm that the copy went well.

I was rather surprised when I discovered that executing the setup.exe file from the directory within my D drive did not work. I was surprised because I have downloaded at least 100 softwares over the years and the setup.exe (or equivalent file) was able to install properly 99% of the time. My pattern for executing this process is pretty much always the same. I download to the download directory and install from there. If I like and decide to keep the software I move the zip file to a folder with a long descriptive name so I can find the zip file later. All of these are stored under a common folder so I can find them easily. Inevitably I have to eventually reformat and do these installs again and they work again. So the setup.exe files don't care where they are located. Having done some windows dos scripting and a lot of unix shell scripting I understand basically how they are able to find the install source files. How they find the target locations I don't know. I say this because I always have windows on the C drive but I can't assume everyone does and some of the setup.exe files may be able to handle this.

I am thinking I will email support. They can go directly to the programmer(s) involved and figure out the easiest way to get BIAB and Real band installed from my D drive. I certainly don't want to move those files to the route directory of the D drive (trying to simulate how it was located on that external USB drive) and make it a mess since I have other stuff on that D drive too.

John

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/28/19 11:55 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
I went back and did a more thorough review of the problems with installing from a D drive with the files under a folder I created. I was correct it seems. BIAB wants everything in the root directory. As mentioned above this would create a mess on my D drive and I confirmed that because MS-Backup has already claimed the root of that drive. I wish MS-Backup didn't do that. I have had other backup programs that did a great job which did not (the original MS-backup programs before WIn-7 and others too).

So I want to avoid putting it on C (limited space - already huge files going in there).
I want to avoid downloads if I can. Too slow. Internet could be down. Modem often cuts out which could corrupt files.
It is hard to get a 150 GB drive. Makes more sense to use the D drive which has the space available and this avoids using a USB plug (may be faster).

I emailed support asking if they have any setup files that can handle being under a user created directory. I don't think it is exactly that hard to whip up. I am guessing 1 to 3 hours. They may have already done that. Maybe it makes a lot of sense to install all their stuff under a directory on their hard drives or better yet make the setup programs smart enough to figure out where they are. I use to store all my setup programs on a D drive in a special folder but lately have moved them to the C drive under a special folder which is common with my other two machines making it easy to backup small updates during the day. Those setup programs can all figure out what drive they are on and what folder they are in.

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/29/19 01:18 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I emailed support asking if they have any setup files that can handle being under a user created directory.

All of my downloaded setup files are stored under a user created directory, which at the present moment is ~200Gb in 823 files in 56 folders. I can find any download I need for any year.

As for the actual BiaB install, my understanding is that BiaB does very little to modify/update/interact with the O/S itself, however, there are fonts (at least) that need to be integrated, and the Windows O/S is involved for this.

You can install BiaB to C:\bb or D:\bb or X:\bb

I've got one system (a laptop) with limited space on C: so I just installed on D: Everything about the installation is vanilla standard, except that the target drive is D: The actual install setup came from the downloaded setup files stored in my user created directory.

Have I misunderstood your question?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi Video Track, Thanks for responding and giving me this info. I find your setup interesting. I am not sure I fully understand it.

Anyway, support emailed me with some questions. I started an email to answer them. One of the questions made me decide to try one last time to see if I could get my computer to recognize the external USB drive that 2016 BIAB came on. Luck. This time it worked where as yesterday my computer could not recognize it. So I did a 2016 BIAB minimum reinstall to my C drive off that external USB drive and it worked. So I unplugged that USB drive and I clicked on my old BIAB icon that pointed at the BIAB that is set up on my computer's D drive under the folder "BIAB_2016_UltraPlusPAK" I created. It worked. I am now running under BIAB 2018 from my folder. I get one new error popup which I asked support about. Other than that everything seems to be working fine. I have put that external USB drive in a sealed plastic bag and taken some notes as to how I managed to resolve the issue.

I may never need to do all this again. But maybe PG_Music will redesign their setup.exe files in the future to run from anywhere. That would make things easier I think.

John

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/29/19 08:23 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
PG Music Staff
Online Content
PG Music Staff
Glad that you got it working.
We could probably allow it to install from a custom folder in the future, like you say.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Sounds good Andrew.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,636
Posts735,312
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182